N I N E

Baekhyun's Youth

"Dr Park!" The nurse rushing to my side. She's looking at her report "Let's we check the patient, we may detect some ab- oh!" Her eyes widen so I think she finally saw the bruise on the lips.

"Uh, what...happen..to-?"

"Someone crazy punched me while I'm driving." I glance at Baekhyun.

The nurse seems clueless. "But how can...be next to you?"

"It's him." I point at the guy that stand next to me. The nurse flicks her eyes one him and giggles.

"Aigoo..you guys are so cute."

Both of us dumbfounded. I mean, this brat punched me on the face just because I took a bit of his personal space. How can they called us cute?

Someone please check her eyes for me.

I clear my throat. "What's news?"

"Ah yeah.. We should go now." She clutches the files to her chest and lead the way, we follow behind.

Suddenly I feel my arm stinging, I rub the spot that Baekhyun pinched. "I don't want to be call cute with you." He whispers, not letting the nurse in front of us hear any of the conversations.

"It's out of what I had expected! Don't blame me!"

"But you start it first!"

"It won't happened if you don't punch me!"

Slowly our whisper raising, attracting the nurse to check out what happen behind her. She asks curiously. "Did something happen?"

We smile innocently, waving at her. The glaring contest begin when she turns back in front.

We walk passed the general ward, occupied by a few patients resting on the bed. Some have bandages wrap around the head, ankle, wrist and others. The situation in the room is not too pack with people - doctors, nurses and families members.

We enter B2 class ward room that is lesser than earlier and the injured patient is in there. There are a woman and a boy sitting next to the patient's bed - the woman looks messed.

"Patient's name?" I whisper to the nurse.

"Kim Jongin."

I approach them slowly with Baekhyun trails behind me. "Are you Mr Kim's family?"

Both of them looking up, startle but at the same time their expression shows me relief. "Yes, doctor. Please help my son, doc."

"I will. Now I want you to relax and let us do our works, okay?" I her shoulder as if saying everything's gonna be fine - mental psychology is important at this time. Tears can be seen pooling in her eyes.

Baekhyun moves to the other side, excusing himself to check on the patient from the guy. There are a few scratches across his face - that already being treated.

He inspecting something around the collarbone, body while I'm motivating the patient's mother. She said he is her only son so I'm sure the other guy is his friend or boyfriend.

"Dr Park!" I've got disturbed when Baekhyun calling for me, sounds panicky.

 


Chanyeol coming to my side while I'm tucking the shirt collar, revealing the pale blue skin running from the neck to collarbone. It seems swollen because we could see the vein popped out.

"...It's not there earlier." The nurse says in hush.

He pushes me gently to inspect the patient more closer, he's frowning. I my lips.

It could be...

"What happen to my son, doctor?"

I glance at Chanyeol - waiting for him to reply, waiting if my thought is true. His expression slightly tensed as he stops checking the unmoving body.

"Mrs Kim, I'm afraid if he's having blood clot in the brain." We're gasping. I shut my eyes, taking deep breath before opening them again.

My expectation is right.

"Oh god.." The mother of Kim nearly faint but luckily the nurse being an observer catch her right on time. The other guy helps to support the woman.

"As we can see here, the blood vessel popping out because the blood can't go through. He turning pale blue around the neck to collarbone and I'm afraid if we don't do the surgery, he may paralyze on this side." Chanyeol explains expertly.

"So only through the surgery he can be saved?" The guy asks.

"We doctors only treating and curing. Death isn't our decision. All we could do is we will try our best to safe as many as we can. That's our job." I answer his question. I know it very well that many of them out there misunderstood our job as doctor.

"Do everything you could. Please." The woman is so broken - what mother didn't love their child. She approaches me, wrapping her shaking ice cold hands around my hands.

I remove her hands, instead I'm the one who holding hers. May my heat and strength transfer to her, giving her my best smile.

"We'll do our best. Everything's gonna be alright Mrs Kim."

I'm busy comforting her that I can't see the smile behind my back. The proud one.

"Let's move the patient to surgery room now."

 


"We start now." I say to attract them to give their full focus on this surgery. I look at them one by one until I land on Baekhyun, we share a few unspoken words through the eyes.

I'm working on to shave the hair where the scalp suppose to be open. After making sure the area is clean, I request for the scalpel. I scan thoroughly then making surgical cut through the scalp, removing it after I see the bone.

The nurse (and Baekhyun) helping to wipe off the blood performed after the surgical cut. Multiple bur holes are drill based on how big the blood cot after that removing the bone flap, exposing the blood cot in the brain.

"Suction." I glance up for a millisecond, finding Baekhyun is the one that holding the suction and I do the blunt dissection. I need to be more careful then usual because this is brain surgery. One wrong move, a life is taken.

After a few more hours, the surgery is done. I had secured the bone flap, stitching it back to it place and now we only have to wait to know whether this is a success or else.

The patient's members running towards me as soon as we go out from the surgery room. Baekhyun is still in the room, maybe arranging the tools back to it places. Tears can be seen leaving it's trail on the older woman.

"How's my son condition, doctor?"

"We're done with the surgery, his condition is stable. I need you ma'am and sir to pray for him to wake up from the short coma or -"

Baekhyun come up suddenly, not letting my continue my words.

"He's gonna be fine. I'm sure your son is strong to fight back. Trust me, he will." He says with reassurance while his eyes looking at her then me.

I simply proud of him whenever he do that but I don't think when it involves with someone's life he can. Life is something we can't be sure of it.

This can't do.

"Thank you so much! I-i don't know what to say. J-just th-thank you so much." She hugs Baekhyun and he returns the hug too. His eyes back to me again. He shakes his head only can be seen by me. I pull my lips into a thin line.

 


"We shouldn't give them to much hope. We don't know his condition. Just not yet." Chanyeol talks in the middle of silent in his personal room.

"We already give them hope since the beginning." I reply, trying not to sense the tense around him

"But it's the brain! You know how it work, it's sensitive! He could die anytime if it didn't work." He snaps, looking straight at me. He's no longer the brave, strong Chanyeol - instead he's shaking.

"It will work, Chanyeol."

"What if -"

I greet myself against his warm body, wrapping my arms around his neck - slightly cursing that he is damn tall and I need to tiptoe. I rest my chin on one of his tense shoulder.

"How long you're working in this section? I'm sure it must be a long time and I'm aware the risks of it. Some things are meant to happen that maybe you lost your patients. I know it must be awful, crushing your hopes down but it's how life works. Don't lose trust on yourself yet, keep on hoping and everything's gonna be fine, Chanyeol."

I could feel Chanyeol buried his forehead on my shoulder, sigh heavily. His arms slowly circling around my back.

"It's hard. I'm feeling the pressure." His voice got muffled.

"Every doctors do. I do. But it would be best if you know how to control it. The feeling is in you."

Chanyeol sighing again but the burden isn't too much like earlier. I keep rubbing circles on his back.

...I shall be a psychiatrist than a doctor. I mentally chuckles.

"What are you laughing for?"

"Oh, I'm laughing?"

"What are you tryin' to say?" Chanyeol break the heartwarming hug, looking down at me. I'm shorter, remember?

"I shall be your personal nurse. Euw, that sounds gay." I cringe.

"You're gay for me."

The ?

"Gay for yourself, hon..."


Orite we have another one chap and we're done . Thank you for following this story . And shall I tell you I'm making a few stories but still in my drafts so yeah . Maybe you'll see me again in the future with new story . Who knows ? Heheh . Ciao !