Chapter 9: The Rivalry

REPLAY 2010

 

DECEMBER 2010. The basketball team has been busy due to scheduled matches almost every weekend. Fortunately, the team has been on 5 consecutive wins already, with no loss. JB is so happy to lead a strong team with him. Jinyoung is a great offensive player, and Jackson is unstoppable with his jumpshots. JB and Mark are more in defense, and the former is actually surprised that Mark is fast and can also score. Yugyeom is over-all a perfect player especially as center, he can block and shoot perimeters too, and his fans club is a very huge support. They currently have Youngjae, Bambam and others as bench players. Every game, Dahyun and Chaeyoung come to support them. This day is their 6th match, and with only 1 match left, they will get into Finals. But, they are having a hard time now since their opponents are all almost 6 footers! 

Referee: Time out! JYP High!

Dahyun rushed from the audience.

Dahyun: Cheer up, Oppa. Here, drink some water.

JB: Thanks, Dahyunnie..

Dahyun: You can do it!

JB: I don't know. (Pants) We have no time left... We're still trailing 5 points.

Chaeyoung: There's still 2 minutes. I know you can do it, Yugyeom-oppa.

Yugyeom just looked at Chaeyoung with no expression.

The remaining 2 minutes is nerve-wrecking. The ball is in the opponents' now and fortunately, they missed the shot. Yugyeom rebounded the ball and passed it to Jinyoung. He went over to the 3-point line, released the ball and it counted! Now they're only 2 points down! But everything stopped when Jinyoung cried out in pain. He landed badly and hurt his left foot.

JB: Jinyoung-ah! Jinyoung-ah! Are you okay?

Jinyoung: ARGH!!!

Jackson: Jinyoungie!

Mark: Jinyoung-ah, can you stand?

Jinyoung: Wait, wait. Just a sec, I can do it.

But as Jinyoung tried to put weight on his left foot, he fell again in pain.

Nichkhun: This ain't good. We have to let that get checked now.

Jinyoung: No... No! Coach, there's only a minute left!

Nichkhun: No, you can't. You cannot play in this state anymore.

Jinyoung: I can do it, Coach!

Nichkhun: Are you even listening?! Look at yourself, Park Jinyoung! (Sigh) I know this game is important, but the condition of every player is our major priority. So for once, give it up.

JB: Jinyoung-ah, don't worry. I promise you we will win this.

The medics came and helped Jinyoung exit the court. The crowd went dead. Youngjae was called to substitute for Jinyoung. With only a minute left, the ball is again on the opponents' hands. Mark quickly read his opponent's gesture and easily stole the ball. The crowd gets wild again. Mark panicked for a while and thought of passing the ball to JB but his position is too far. Yugyeom is double teamed and while Jackson is asking for the ball, he is guarded by the ace player of the other team. He thought of Jinyoung as the best option but he's not there anymore. He also doesn't have enough confidence to take the shot. He looked at the time, 10 seconds left. He saw Youngjae in the 3-point line, no one's guarding him. Maybe because they thought he's not gonna take the shot.

Mark: Youngjae!

He passed the ball into him and signaled Yugyeom to position himself if ever Youngjae misses the shot. Even if Youngjae's 3-point shot won't count, at least Yugyeom can make a 2-point shot and tie the game.

JB: Do it!

Mark: Come on, Youngjae. I know you can do it. (He said to himself)

Youngjae jumped in the air and quickly but perfectly released the ball from his hands. The opponents are running towards him to block it but they're too late. The ball landed on the ring, circled it's way through the net. The crowd cheered on top of their lungs! They can't believe it! A rookie like Youngjae made a 3-point shot! There's still time left but it's not enough for the other team to score! They won 63-62! Youngjae froze on his feet. He went deaf from the crowd's wild noise! He felt someone hugged him from behind, it was JB!

JB: (In tears) I knew you can do it!

Mark: Youngjae-ah! We won! We won, can you hear me?!

Jackson went over to carry him! Yugyeom was a bit bitter that most of the attention was given to Youngjae but deep inside, he's also happy they won.

Jackson: We won! Youngjae-ah! Thank you! Thank you!

JB: That's so close! That is...

Mark went over and hugged JB. After a while, Dahyun and Chaeyoung joined them.

Dahyun: See? I know you can do it!

JB: (Smiles) Thanks, Dahyunnie! (Hugs Dahyun)

Dahyun was startled at JB's aggressiveness. It must be the adrenaline. JB was also surprised of his action.

JB: I'm sorry. I'm sweating alot right now and I hugged you --

Dahyun: It's... It's okay, Oppa.

Chaeyoung: Yugyeom-oppa... (Blushes) Congratulations on winning today.

Yugyeom: Thanks.

Chaeyoung: (Hands him a towel) Here.

Yugyeom gave Chaeyoung a small smile, more like a fake one.

Chaeyoung: Ahh.. Oppa. (Hands him an envelope) It's.. It's a gift. I personally drew that.

Yugyeom: (Looks at the drawing inside) Okay.

Yugyeom was about to get his things and leave the court when Chaeyoung ran onto him.

Chaeyoung: Oppa..

Yugyeom stopped and faced Chaeyoung with a pissed-off face.

Chaeyoung: Sorry. But.. I just wanted to ask you... If you remembered me... Yoo Chaeyoung? We attended the same Middle School. I... I... watched all of your games... and... we met during your last game...

Yugyeom looked at Chaeyoung from head to toe and gave her a blank face.

Yugyeom: Is that so?

Yugyeom turned around and started walking away..

Chaeyoung: I'm a big fan of yours!

Chaeyoung shouted but Yugyeom continued walking away.

Chaeyoung: Until today... I guess... (She whispered) 

 


It's already 7pm and the maknaes are on their way home. Mark is with them. Jackson and JB agreed to stay with Jinyoung at the health clinic, until he wakes up. Mark is walking ahead them but every now and then he will look after the girls. He may be an LA bumpkin but he is a good Oppa to them both.

Mark: Are you guys hungry? (He asked awkwardly) Let's stop by the convenience store.

Dahyun and Chaeyoung followed him inside.

Mark: What do you want? It's okay, it's my treat.

Dahyun: Hmm.. A chicken meal and a soda will do.

Mark: Okay, how about you, Chaeyoungie?

Chaeyoung: I'm not hungry.

Mark: It's dinner time already. Come on, pick anything you like. You want a chicken too?

Chaeyoung simply nodded.

Mark: Okay. Ahh, miss. 2 Chicken meals, 1 hamburger and 3 sodas.

Mark payed with his credit card. He bowed to the cashier once the orders arrived.

Mark: Chicken... and chicken.. (He served the meals to the maknaes) Alright, let's eat now.

Dahyun: Chaeyoung-ah, are you okay?

Chaeyoung: I guess...

Mark: Why is Chaeyoungie sad? I thought you'll be one of the happiest since we won the game.

Chaeyoung: I should be... But Yuggie... I mean... Yugyeom-oppa... He's... I think he hates me.

Dahyun: Ya! You call him Oppa and you never call me Unnie? I told you to call me Unnie, right? We're basically twins so we're same age!

Mark: T... Twins?

Dahyun accidentally slipped her tongue and spilled her own secret! She covered , and turned red in front of Mark.

Mark: You... and Yugyeom are... siblings?! Woah --

Dahyun: Oppa! Ssshhh! Someone might hear you!

Chaeyoung: Yeah, they're siblings... But they're complete opposites..

Dahyun: What did that brat do to you? Yah, tell me, I'll hit him!

Chaeyoung: Nothing... He... He didn't do anything wrong at all.. (Started tearing up)

Mark: Ya.. Why... Why are you crying?! This kid really... (Gives Chaeyoung alot of tissues) Ya, stop it! People might think I'm bullying you.

Dahyun: That arrogant Yugyeom really.


In the heath service, JB and Jackson decided to stay until Jinyoung regain consciousness. Jackson noticed that JB is looking at his phone, and smiling by himself.

Jackson: Hey. You okay? I'm not sure if you're just happy or... crazy.

JB: Wh--What? Ah, nothing.

Jackson: What's are you looking at? (Took JB's phone)

JB: Hey!

Jackson: Dahyun? Why are you smiling looking at Dahyun's number?

JB: It's nothing, man. Give it back.

Jackson pressed the call button and in just 2 rings, Dahyun immediately picked up.

Dahyun: Hello? Oppa?

Jackson quickly put JB on the phone.

JB: Ahh... Ohh... (Stutters) Dahyunnie? Ne. Ahh.. I just... Well... I just wanna ask... If you arrived safely at home...

Dahyun: Ahh, ne. We left the gate unlocked in case you go home anytime tonight.

JB: Ah, is that so? Thanks...

Dahyun: Is something wrong, Oppa? Did something bad happened to Jinyoung-sunbae?

JB: Oh, ani.. He's fine. He's just asleep for now. They gave him painkillers and sedatives.

Dahyun: Is he really okay now?

Nayeon: Who's not okay, Dahyun-ah?

Nayeon overheard their conversation as she went out of her room. 

JB: Is that Nayeon?

Dahyun: Oh, Nayeon-unnie. Jinyoung-sunbae, he had an accident during the game earlier...

Nayeon: What? Why didn't anyone tell me? (Took Dahyun's phone and talked to JB) Oppa, it's me. Where are you now?

JB: We're in the school health clinic, but don't worry everything's fine now.

Nayeon: If everything's fine, why are you all still there? (Paused) This is not right, I'm coming.

JB: What? No, Nayeon-ah, I told you Jinyoung's fine now. He's just resting.

Nayeon: Still going. (Gave Dahyun back her phone and took her jacket)

Mark: Nayeon-ssi, are you going out? It's getting late.

Nayeon: Yep, I'll go check on Oppa... I mean Jinyoung. (Went out of the house)

Mark: Hey... Wait!

Dahyun: Hello? JB-Oppa? (Panicked a little)

JB: Oh, Dahyunnie. Did Nayeon really leave?

Dahyun: Ne, and I think Mark-Oppa also went after her. (Nervous) I'll.. I'll call you back later, Oppa, I got to lock the doors and windows now.

JB: Oh... Okay... (Hanged up)

Jackson: So?

JB: Nayeon and Mark are on their way here.

Jackson: Wow. I mean.. Why?

JB suddenly jumped on his feet and started packing up his things.

Jackson: Hey, where are you going?

JB: I need to go home now.

Jackson: W--What?

JB: Jackson-ah, I need you to wait for Nayeon and Mark and to check on Jinyoung. Can you do that?

Jackson: Of course. But hey... Why are you so worried?

JB: It's just that... Dahyunnie... She's scared of being alone.

 


NAYEON'S POV
Upon hearing what happened to Jinyoung, I didn't have the chance to think of any but to see him. Is he alright? Is he hurting? Can he still walk? Is he awake? Alot of things are running inside my head now. Then out of nowhere, a hand reached out and held my arm, making me look back.

Mark: Nayeon-ssi. (Pants) Slow down, will you?

I just realized that Mark has been following me this whole time.

Mark: Are you alright?

Nayeon: Ne. Have you been following me all this time?

Mark: (Confused) Oh? You didn't know?

Nayeon: No.

Mark: It's alright. Maybe we should take a cab to get there faster.

He grabbed my hand and we walked together to the bus stop. Fortunately, an empty cab passed. Mark told me everything on our way to the health clinic. He said Jinyoung landed badly after making a shot and was forced to leave the game. He assured me that he was fine but was currently unconscious due to the sedatives given to him.

Mark: Are you... that worried for him?

Nayeon: Of course... (Pause) I mean... the team needs him. Without him, it'll be difficult to win.

Mark: I see.. (Slightly sulks) You're right.

Nayeon: But why did you follow me? Didn't you know that Dahyun hates being left alone?

Mark: What?

Nayeon: I better call Oppa.

I was just about to dial for JB-oppa when I coincidentally got a call from him.

JB: Nayeon-ah, you're on the way to the clinic, right?

Nayeon: Ne, oppa.

At that very moment, we finally arrived. I get off from the cab and with no hesitation directly went to the health clinic division. My brother told me that he's on his way home since Dahyun is left, and that made me realize that I honestly forgot Mark's with me.

JB: Nayeonnie, you still there? Did you see Jackson already?

Nayeon: Oh.. Not yet, I'm... I'll call you later.

I walked around and searched for him. When and where did I lose him? Was he left on the cab? Maybe he left his wallet that's why the driver won't let him go? Is he lost again?

Mark: Nayeon-ssi.

Mark appeared as he turned from the corner.

Nayeon: Oh, thank goodness! I thought you're lost again.

Mark: Why would I? I just..

Just then I realized that a pack of cigarettes are peeping out of his jacket's pocket. I was surprised. I didn't know Mark smokes.

Mark: I came here after the game to check for Jinyoung too, so I know where.

Nayeon: I see.

We went to the room together and found Jinyoung lying on the bed. Jackson looks like he dozed off while standing.

Nayeon: Jackson-ah.

Jackson: (Woke up) Oh, you're here now.

Mark: You look so tired. Maybe you should be going home now.

Jackson: I'm alright, hyung. I can sleep anywhere. You two came rushing. Jinyoung is already fine, he's just resting, you know.

Nayeon: But why isn't he waking up yet? How long has he been sleeping already?

Jackson: I think around 4 hours already. (Yawns)

Mark: Seriously, Jackson. You should be going now. We can't afford to lose another member when you get sick.

Nayeon: No. You two should go home now. Both of you are tired because of the game.

Mark: Nayeon-ssi.

Nayeon: I'm fine. I got enough sleep and besides, you said Jinyoung will wake up anytime soon. Don't worry about me, you should go and rest now.

Jackson: But..

Nayeon: Ya, Wang Jackson. Are you not listening? Jungyeon and Chaeyoung are the only ones left in the White house. Go home now. You should go with him too, Mark-ssi.

Jackson: Alright. Message me when he wakes up, okay?

I sat near Jinyoung's bed and reached for his hand. He must be in pain now. He loves the team so much and thinking how he cannot play for the remaining matches because of injury... he must be disappointed in himself. I know him. I know him well too much.

 


Jackson and Mark went outside the hospital and walked towards the bus stop. Mark gave Jackson the pack of cigarettes he asked him to buy earlier. Jackson lit up his and offered Mark a stick. He declined.

Jackson: You really don't smoke anymore?

Mark: I quit. It's been a year already.

Jackson: Wow, knowing you're the one who taught me this.

Mark: You should quit too already before it's too late.

Jackson: In time.. It's cold now so smoking is not rare nowadays. (Saw a bus) Oh, there's a busy already!

Jackson quickly jumped to the bus and looked for a seat. He was surprised that Mark didn't follow him, and was stuck standing in front of the bus.

Jackson: Ya, hyung! Come on! What are you doing there?

Mark: Sorry Jackson-ah. You go home now, I should go back to the clinic.

Jackson: Huh? Wh-- Why?

Mark: Call me when you get home. Bye!

Mark ran on his way back to the hospital. He just can't leave Nayeon alone. No, he wants to be with her all the time. He wants to spend most of his time with her, no matter how dull it may seem. He never felt this way to anyone before, and as he runs, he laughs by himself 'cause somehow he knows why he can't stop thinking about her. It was purely a friendly approach at first, but the more they spend time together, the more he craves for her. He likes her. He likes her so much.

As he arrived, he saw from afar that Jinyoung already woke up and was happily chatting with Nayeon. She fed him and saw that Nayeon looked finally relieved that Jinyoung is awake now. He thought of entering the room but decided not to. He just sat at a long upholstered seat around 4 rooms away from Jinyoung's. He sighed thinking about the sight he saw. Was he too late? Was that all he supposed to see? Was that a sign that whatever he feels for Nayeon is not meant to be and should be remain platonic? Jinyoung is too important for her. Their relationship is nothing to what he and Nayeon have. Jinyoung knows her more and even longer, unlike him. At that very moment, he felt insecure. He felt like losing something he didn't have in the first place.