Chapter 5: The Present

REPLAY 2010

 

Since the day Jungyeon admitted her relationship with Jae, everything started to get awkward between her and JB. It was revealed that only Nayeon and Chaeyoung were aware that both are dating. It was during summer when Jungyeon and Jae got close since Jungyeon started visiting her brother Dowoon at the Day6 gray dorm. She learned that the boys are actually okay, and not that all boring like she thought they were. They actually jived. She also became interested in playing the guitar, and this is where Jae comes in the picture. He often visits the dorm, and even sleeps there especially when Jungyeon shows up. He volunteered to teach her how to play, and eventually, the mortal enemies became lovers. Nayeon often accompanies her at the dorm when she likes to hang-out with her cousin Brian, who's nice and closer to her compared to his sister Yerin. Most of the times, Nayeon would keep shut when other people, especially Jinyoung and JB, ask about Jungyeon's whereabouts. That day however, Nayeon wasn't able to read Jungyeon's texts saying she's with Jae and that she should've made a move to delay the group from seeing the two together.

Jungyeon: ARGHH!!!

Nayeon: What is it this time?

Jungyeon: What else?! Aish! I should've denied it! Argh!

Nayeon: All secrets are bound to be revealed anyway, Jungie.

Jungyeon: It's your fault! You should've stopped them! Why of all times, did you not read my message?!

Nayeon: Yah! Why are blaming me now?! I did everything to cover up your relationship. And I made one mistake and you throw every blame on me? Jeez.

Jungyeon: Sorry... I just... Things get awkward alot now. Even Jinyoung-oppa is cold towards me now.

Nayeon: What's new? He's always like that.

Jungyeon: I mean... He didn't even ask me about anything regarding it. He acts like nothing happened.

Nayeon: Do you want otherwise?

Jungyeon: No... It's just that... It bothers me... Alot. Especially JB-oppa.

Nayeon: What do you mean?

Jungyeon: It's like he's avoiding me, Nayeon-ah.

Nayeon: Don't mind him. Maybe he just didn't expect it, right?

Jungyeon: I should've told him beforehand. I felt guilty.

 

NAYEON'S POV

I understand Jungyeon. No matter what other people say, JB and her had a meaningful past and even though I also notice how my brother obviously is not himself these past few days, I don't want to let her know about it. It makes her even more guilty. Jungyeon has found another love, and I'm really happy for her. Jae-oppa is a nice guy. He's quite and loner at first, but he is actually funny and caring. Quite unexpected for someone who knows his true family background, Jae-oppa is really family-oriented.

Chaeyoung: Unnie, can I sleep in your room tonight?

Nayeon: Again?

Chaeyoung: Please? I asked Dahyun to help me on our homework.

Jungyeon: You dwarf! Why can't you do yours alone!

Chaeyoung: (Sticks out her tongue to Jungyeon) Nayeon-unnie, please?

Nayeon: Alright.

Chaeyoung: Yes!

Nayeon: But don't touch my stuffs! I'll kill you.

Chaeyoung: Love you! Hihi! (Went outside the room)

Jungyeon: You spoil her alot, Nayeonnie.

Nayeon: Well, she's basically like a sister to me now.

Jungyeon: I know. Sigh. (Knocks herself on her study table)

Nayeon: Hey, don't think about it anymore. The guys will treat you the same way again. Maybe they're just... awkward right now knowing you're... you know... in love and such...

Jungyeon: Aish! Oh, right. How about you?

Nayeon: How about me? Nothing new.

Jungyeon: Eyyy... What do you mean nothing new? I saw you the other day.. He walked beside you, didn't he?

Nayeon: What are you talking about?! (Slightly blushed)

Jungyeon: Im Nayeon. I'm your best friend. Don't you dare keep secrets from me.

Nayeon: Whatever.


JUNE 2016. The present day. It was 10 in the morning when a jet black-haired girl showed up in the front of the white house. She knocked on the front door twice but no one answered so she took her phone out of pocket of her denim pants.

"Hello?"

"I'm in your doorstep now."

"Who's this?"

"Ya, Yoo Jungyeon!"

A few seconds passed and the door swung open.

Jungyeon: Im... Nayeon? Nayeon?! Waaah! (Hugs Nayeon)

Nayeon: What took you so long?

Jungyeon: Ya! Is that the way you greet your bestfriend after a year?!

Nayeon: Why are you exaggerating? (Enters the house and sits on the sofa)

Jungyeon: I'm not! Yah, is this your house? Why lurk around here when you have yours next door?

Nayeon: No one's there so stop it now, Jungie. I'm tired.

Jungyeon: Ya, Im Nayeon. (Teary) Don't you know how I much I missed you?

Nayeon: (Grabs Jungyeon) Of course I do! I feel the same way!

Jungyeon: So why did you leave?

Nayeon went silent.

Jungyeon: Is it because of him?


AUGUST 2010. JYP High is having a 3-day fieldtrip in a province near the Southern sea. All students are excited but are also worried because examinations will start a week after the trip. While in the bus, Nayeon being the typical Nayeon, sits on the window side and prefers to listen to her music through earphones than to interact with her fellow classmates. Jungyeon, who sits next to her is busy talking to Momo and Jihyo who sit across them. When they arrived at the hotel of the desired location, the teacher told them to divide themselves into groups of 6 since each room only has 3 queen sized beds that can fit 2 persons. Of course, boys and girls will be separated.

Jihyo: Ya! I'll go with you, okay?

Nayeon: Of course!

Jungyeon: Should we invite the J-Trinity? That will make us in 1 room.

Jihyo: You're right! Wait a second, I'll tell Momo.

Jihyo immediately went to talk to the Japanese girls. Nayeon is a bit uneasy though.

Jungyeon: You okay, Nayeon?

Nayeon: Huh? Yeah, I'm alright.

Jihyo came back, all smiles, ear to ear.

Jihyo: They said yes! Yohoo!

Jungyeon: You look so happy Jihyo-yah. Come on, let's put our things in the room.

The girls went up to their room and get changed for dinner. They were given their itinerary before hand. Inside the room, it was a bit awkward again at first since none of the J-Trinity are talking. They were also tired from the trip and most of them are lying on the beds or texting.. or eating.

Jihyo: At last! I've got signal!

Jungyeon: Who are you texting with? (While chewing chips)

Jihyo: Huh? Uhh.. No one.

Momo: Jungyeon-ah, can I have some? (asks for the chips)

Jungyeon: I still have some on my bag. This one's almost empty.

Sana is reading something while Mina looks like she's sleeping.

Jungyeon: Hey guys, let's talk, it's getting boring.

Sana: Hmm? What is it, Jungyeon-ssi.

Jungyeon: I mean... We're in this room together, and we're in a trip so basically we have to get to know each other, right?

Momo: Yeah, look. We also like to know about other people, it's just that... we're too shy for that.

Jungyeon: I know. Nayeon here is an introvert too.

Nayeon: Ya!

KNOCK! KNOCK!

Sana: I'll open it!

As Sana opened the door, Youngjae and Mark appeared.

Youngjae: Hi, guys!

Sana: Oh, Youngjae-ssi.

Youngjae: It's.. Uhh.. (Looks at his watch) Well, it's quarter to six and we're having dinner and... Mark hyung here asked if we could fetch you guys. (Nudges Mark)

Mark: Yah, you want to go too!

Jihyo: That's sweet! Come in first.

Mark: Annyeonghaseyo.

Mina immediately woke up upon hearing Mark, sat up on her bed and fixed herself. She's a bit weird around him these days. Mark went over to Nayeon and looked so happy seeing her.

Mark: What are you doing?

Nayeon: I'm studying.

Mark: For what?

Nayeon: For the exams next week.

Mark: Ahh. (Leans closer to Nayeon)

Nayeon: Wha -- What are you doing?

Mark: (Smiles) Why are you so serious?

Nayeon: (Closes her book) I'm... I'm hungry now. Come on.

Nayeon immediately went out of the room and the others follow. Mark ran to walk beside her, and he looks like a dog tailing to his owner.

Sana: Jungyeon-ah, are Mark and Nayeon... you know... dating?

Jungyeon: Mark? And Nayeon? Hahaha! Of course not.

Sana: Then why are they like that?

Jungyeon: They're always like that. Nayeon is like Mark's owner, he follows her wherever she goes. I don't even know why. Hahaha. But no. There's nothing between them. Believe me.

On their way to the dining hall, the group met the other students. Dahyun and Chaeyoung also shared a room with other freshmen girls. JB, Jinyoung and Jackson are also in 1 room with other seniors. After eating, most of them went back to their rooms, other hang out around the garden, others went over to stroll on the hotel corridors. The Triple J (JB, Jinyoung, Jackson) are outside the hotel, sipping their cans of coffee.

Jinyoung: I think I'll go up now. I feel a bit nauseated from the trip.

Jackson: I'll go with you. JB-hyung, you're not coming?

JB: I'll stay here for now. The other students are still outside. I'll go up when everyone's inside already.

Jinyoung: Okay. (Gives him a key) Don't loose that.

After a few minutes, JB felt someone's presence walking towards him.

Dahyun: Oppa.

JB: Dahyun-ah. What are you doing here?

Dahyun: (Offers him a can of coffee) Do you want some?

JB: Oh. I already drink one.

Dahyun: You're probably guarding here, huh?

JB: Duties.

Dahyun: Oppa..

JB: What is it, Dahyun-ah?

Dahyun: I... I... I noticed that you're not smiling these... these past few days.. And... it.. it kind of bothers me.. If there's something I can do to... to make you smile again...

JB: Thanks Dahyun-ah. You know.. I've been down lately.. And I know a lot of people notice me this way. But I can't help it. I don't know.

Dahyun: Well.. You can talk to me.. I mean.. I'm a good listener, you know? (Smiles)

JB: (Smiles) Thanks.

Dahyun: I've made you smile again.. Wow, mission accomplished!

JB: (Laughs and pats Dahyun's head) You should be sleeping now, you know that right?

Dahyun: Ne. Good night, Oppa. (Bows)

JB: Good night... Dahyunnie..


Jihyo and the others decided to play cards to enjoy the night, and Mark and Youngjae joined them too. After a while, Nayeon said she'll go out for a minute cause the room is getting cold. A few rounds of the game has passed and she's still not back yet.

Mark: Jungyeon-ssi, did Nayeon bring her phone?

Jungyeon: It's here. Why?

Sana: Oh, she isn't back yet?

Jihyo: She's probably just walking on the corridors. She likes being alone so much.

Mark: I'll look for her. Call me if she's back, okay?

Jungyeon: Okay. Call me once you saw her.

Mark immediately searched for Nayeon all over hotel but there was no sign of her. On the other hand, JB already went back to their room and found Jinyoung in a panic mode.

JB: You okay?

Jinyoung: Have you seen Nayeon?

JB: Nayeon? No. I didn't see her go out of the hotel. Why? What happened?

Jinyoung: Jungyeon called and said she's not back yet in their room. (Puts on his jacket) I'll look for her.

JB: I'll go with you.

Jinyoung: Okay, look for her on the corridors. I'll search outside.


Mark is outside the hotel now. He's been sweating alot but he didn't care. All he wants at that very moment is to find Nayeon.

Mark: Nayeon!!! Im Nayeon!!! Im Na---

At last, he saw her. She looks like she's asleep while sitting on a small nipa hut. He was about to approach her when suddenly someone came running towards her.

Jinyoung: Nayeon-ah!

Nayeon: (Wakes up) Oh, Jinyoung-ah..

Jinyoung: What are you doing here?! Don't you know that we've been around looking for you?

Nayeon: How did you know ---

Jinyoung: (Touched her forehead) You're hot... You have fever, Nayeon-ah.

Nayeon: I'm okay... I just wanted to rest.

Jinyoung: Come on, I'll bring you up.

Nayeon: I can walk.

Jinyoung: Come on, hop on. I'll carry you.

Nayeon piggybacked on Jinyoung her while Mark is just there standing, watching the two. He walked slowly following them, and took out his phone to call Jungyeon.

Mark: Jungyeon-ssi, I see her now.

Jungyeon: Really? Thank God. Come back here now, both of you.

Mark: She'll be back there. I'll just go buy something.

Jinyoung carried Nayeon, who's now asleep, back to their room. He told the girls that Nayeon is having a fever.

Jungyeon: But where's Mark? I thought he's with you now.

Jinyoung: Mark? I didn't see him.

Jungyeon: Oh. Maybe he saw you two.

Jinyoung: I probably should go. Take care of her. (Left the room)

Momo: I know she's not okay. She's acting weirdly throughout the day.

Jihyo: Nayeon-ah, why didn't you tell us you're not feeling well?

A few minutes has passed and Mark arrived at the room.

Jungyeon: Where did you go? We thought you're also gone.

Mark: I bought medicine. Please make sure she takes that.

Jungyeon: Thanks.

Mark: Youngjae-ah. We should go back now. The girls must be tired.

Youngjae: Oh, okay hyung. Last round.

Jihyo: Sit here first, Mark-oppa.

The group gathered together and played another round of the game. Everyone except Nayeon and Jungyeon participated in the game. Mina was unexpectedly competitive and Sana and Momo are so loud picking on each other making the others laugh.mJungyeon lies beside Nayeon and touches her forehead once in a while. She also noticed that Mark is not paying attention to the game, and is looking at Nayeon instead from time to time.


JUNE 2016. Jungyeon finished narrating the story and Nayeon was reminded of it.

Jungyeon: So, it really is because of him, huh?

Nayeon: You know, Jungyeon, you should probably be focused on your own love life now.

Jungyeon: I am. (Shows Nayeon her engagement ring)

Nayeon: What the! (Took Jungyeon's hand to look at the ring closer) Why didn't you tell me?

Jungyeon: Who's the one who's been missing in action the whole year?! I try to contact you for God's sake!

Nayeon: Good for you.

Jungyeon: Ya, Im Nayeon. Since that day, I remembered you're starting hiding things from me. So that's when it started, right? Your first love?

Nayeon kept on changing the topic.

Jungyeon: Ya, are you really not telling? You left for a year to cope up yourself and you came back coping again?!

Nayeon: Alright, alright.

Jungyeon: So who is it really? The guy who brought you back? Or the guy who bought you medicine?

Nayeon: Are you asking about my first love? Or my unrequited love?