Chapter 6: The Birthday

REPLAY 2010

 

 

SEPTEMBER 2010. Summer is about to end and trees are starting to get bald. Flowers start to wilt and dry orange to brown leaves start piling up the streets. Autumn season is about to begin... Autumn... Nayeon's favorite season. And there actually is another reason why she loves it.

JB: Nayeon-ah.

Nayeon: Ne, oppa?

JB: (Hands her a gift box) Here. Happy Birthday.

Nayeon: What's with you? My birthday's tomorrow.

JB: I wanted to give it to you beforehand. I think I won't be able to make it tomorrow. It's the big day, right?

Nayeon: Oh, yeah.

JB: Sorry, Nayeon. You know how it means to me too. This is going to be my last year playing for the team. But you know I'll always be your Oppa.

Nayeon: Of course. (Smiles)

Nayeon felt sad. Tomorrow, her birthday, is also the opening ceremony for the inter-highschool basketball tournament. 

Nayeon: Is everyone coming?

JB: I think so. You girls better behave while we're gone, okay? I'll pack my things up.

Nayeon: Okay.

Nayeon unwrapped her gift and smiled as she realized it's a Parker pen.

Nayeon: Thanks, Oppa! Saranghae!

She shouted for her brother to hear.

JB: You're always welcome!


Nayeon let out a big sigh. She hanged out on Jungyeon's room alot these days and today isn't different. The boys are now on their way to the city for the opening of the tournament. She's not liking it, no matter how she denies it. She's not happy that her brother, Jackson, Mark or even Jinyoung are not there for her special day.

Chaeyoung: Ya, unnie. Don't be upset.

Dahyun: If you continue being like that, we'll think you don't like our company.

Nayeon: It's not like that guys. Please don't misunderstand.

Jungyeon: I think I know why. (Smiles)

Nayeon: Here we go again, Yoo Jungyeon and her theories.

Chaeyoung: Oh! Tomorrow's Jinyoung-oppa's birthday too! I totally forgot!

Nayeon was startled! Of course she knows it. Jinyoung and her have the same birthday! He's a year older though.

Jungyeon: We didn't get him anything!

Chaeyoung: He'll understand. Buying him a small cake from the coffee shop across the street will do.

Jungyeon: We did that last year, Yoo Chaeyoung... And the year before that... And the year before that year again.

Dahyun: Aww... How nice is it to have someone the same birthday as you?

Nayeon: Hmm? It's... Special.

Nayeon was reminded of how Jinyoung and her spent their birthdays together. JB and Jungyeon will purposely set up a surprise party for them at home, and sing all night even if they have classes the day after. She missed those moments, and she wished it'll be the same this year... Only if they are here.

The big day arrived and Nayeon woke up when a heavy thing came on top of her.

Dahyun: Wake up! Wake up! Sleeping beauty! Wake up! Rise and shine!

Nayeon: Uhh.. Kim Dahyun.. Get off me! You're so heavy, ouch!

Dahyun lay flat on the older girl's back. She then stood up and gave Nayeon a peck on her cheek.

Dahyun: Mwa! Happy Birthday, Unnie!

Nayeon: Eww! Ya, Kim Dahyun! I promise I'll kill you this instant!

Finally, Nayeon stood and walked towards the dining table. Her consciousness came back when she realized there's only 2 plates on top of the table. Of course, JB and Mark are not here today.

Dahyun: Surprise! Look! I cooked breakfast!

The older girl peeped and saw 2 eggs and a hotdog on each plate. She gave a smile to the younger girl.

Nayeon: Thanks, Dahyun-ah.


 

The two girls are now on their way out of the Blue house. Jungyeon and Chaeyoung are waving and walking towards them.

Jungyeon: Happy Birthday, my Nayeonnie!

Chaeyoung: Unnie, Happy 19th Birthday! (Tries to kiss Nayeon)

Nayeon: Stop it, Changie!

Jungyeon: Here! My birthday gift to you! (Hands her gift)

Nayeon: You sure this is not another mixed tape, huh?

Jungyeon: When did I gave you a mixed tape?

Nayeon: Ahmm, for 3 consecutive years, actually?

Jungyeon: Ya! I chose the songs myself! Besides, you love them, don't you?

Chaeyoung: My unnie saved alot for that, Nayeon-unnie. But it's me who told her you like it!

Nayeon: Really? Don't tell me.. (Quickly unwraps Jungyeon's gift)

Jungyeon: Yup! It's Miss A debut album.

Nayeon: Oh my God! This is gold! Thanks, Jungie! (Hugs Jungyeon)

Chaeyoung: Told you she'll love it!


Nayeon was welcomed warmly in school. "Happy Birthday Im Nayeon" was even written on their blackboard. She was showered with gifts from her friends, and even from secret admirers. Well, she's not an It-Girl for nothing.

Jihyo: Why is the birthday girl gloomy today?

Sana: Is it because her prince charming isn't around?

Momo: Prince Charming? More of a dog, I think.

Jungyeon: Heol... Why of all days does the basketball tournament opening have to be today?

The group is having their lunch. They are happier that the J-Trinity are getting closer to them now, especially Mina. She smiles alot these past few days, and even laughs with them... Well, except today.

Jihyo: It seems like not only the birthday girl is sad today.

Momo: Are you okay, Minari?

Mina: Eh? Of course.

Jungyeon: That's odd. Is it because your Prince Charming is not around too?

Momo: Who, Youngjae? Hahaha!

The group laughed when they imagined the elegant Mina might have a crush on Youngjae. Mina didn't respond. Of course it's not Youngjae. It's Mark. But she doesn't want anyone to know about it. Especially Nayeon. But she feels that Nayeon sees through her, she met her eyes but avoided it.

After class, Nayeon purposely waited for Mina by the door. She's not sure about it but it bothers her since lunch.

Nayeon: Mina-ssi.

Mina: Oh, Nayeon-ssi.

Nayeon: Can I ask you something?

Mina: Sure.

Nayeon: Uhm. To be honest, I haven't got a chance to talk to you like this... I mean, we're in the same circle of friends now and I.. I know we're both introverts and such so I wanted to initiate this..

Mina: I understand. I apologize, I should be the one to do this. Especially it's your birthday.

Nayeon: Uhm.. I want you to be comfortable around me. I mean, I know the thing about you and my cousin Brian.. But I want us to be friends..

Mina: Of course. 

Nayeon: And uhm.. I'm just curious.. About earlier..

Mina: Hmm?

Nayeon: It's not Youngjae, isn't it?

Mina was taken aback by Nayeon's sudden question.

Nayeon: A while ago... During lunch.. You didn't respond. But it's not Youngjae, isn't it?

Mina: (Smiles) Nayeon-ssi. Do you... Do you like Mark?

Nayeon: N-ne?

Mina: You wanted to ask me right? If I like Mark...

Mina passed the question to Nayeon, and the latter froze.

Mina: You like him too, right? That's why you came to ask me. 'Cause you want to know how I feel for him too.

Nayeon couldn't say a word. She was confused right at that very moment. Does she like Mark? Does she like him? Why is she feeling uneasy? Is it because it's the first time she ever heard Mina talk this much, or is it because Mina is telling the truth?

Mina: I'm sorry for making you uncomfortable, Nayeon-ssi. I didn't mean to... I... I think I should go. (Stutters) I talk nonsense, right?

Nayeon: I.. I don't like Mark... I mean... I'm not... attracted to him, that way... You don't have to be worried, Mina-ssi.

Mina: (Smiles) Thanks, Nayeon... Unnie.


 

On their way home, her conversation with Mina keeps on repeating on her head. Why is she bothered by it so much? So what if Mina likes Mark or Mark likes Mina? What does it have to do with her? Because she's too preoccupied with her own thoughts, she wasn't even aware that the Yoo sisters as well as Dahyun are obviously planning a surprise for her. Jungyeon waved her goodbye and as she entered the house and the lights...

Chaeyoung: Surprise!

Dahyun: Happy Birthday, Unnie!

Nayeon was actually surprised. She didn't expect that the girls will still surprise her.

Yeeun: Happy Birthday, my sweetie.

Nayeon: Eomma! You're here?

Seulong: Of course, why would we miss our little angel's birthday?

Nayeon: Appa! (Hugs her dad) How come you didn't tell me you're coming?

Yeeun: Then it wouldn't be a surprise then. (Kisses her daughter)

She didn't expect that her parents will come home for her birthday. Yeeun and Seulong, JB and Nayeon's parents are currently based now in the US. Everyone are happy celebrating for her birthday. Even her cousins Brian and Yerin, as well as their parents Jinwoon and Sunmi (Yeeun's sister) arrived at the Blue house.

Jungyeon: Do you like your surprise?

Nayeon: Yeah. Did you plan all of these?

Jungyeon: Actually, we did.

Nayeon: Who?

Jungyeon: Well, Jinyoung-oppa initiated it. JB-oppa and I, and well, Jackson too... Ahh... Mark is the one who contacted everyone.

Nayeon: Really?

Jungyeon: Yeah, I guess they really won't make it tonight. I heard it will take a 4-hour trip from the city.

Brian: Nayeon-ah. (Hugs Nayeon) Happy Birthday.

Nayeon: Oppa..

Jungyeon: Ohh, you call him Oppa too? I thought JB is the only one you call as Oppa.

Nayeon: He's my cousin, Jungie.

Jungyeon: Hahahaha, I know.

Yerin: Nayeon-unnie..

Nayeon: Oh, Yerin-ah. You're here.

Yerin: (Smiles) Happy birthday.

Nayeon: Thanks, go on. Please enjoy and eat.

Nayeon and Yerin are awkward cousins. It's because... well, no matter how both of them deny, they have a lot in common. They say opposites attract and same kinds repel. Maybe that's why they don't get along well.

Brian: So... Is your camera alright now?

Chaeyoung: Oh... Camera-sunbaenim?

Brian: You can call me Brian-oppa, you know.

Chaeyoung: Sunbaenim would be better.

Brian: If you say so.. Well, I see that you really are close to Nayeon. I didn't expect to see you here.

Chaeyoung: I live next door with my sister, Jungyeon.

Brian: Jungyeon? Jae's girlfriend?

Chaeyoung: Ne. Ah, right. Jae-oppa and you are both Day6 members!

Brian: Small world, eh? (smiles)


 

While the others are either happily jiving to the music or eating the birthday cake, Nayeon prefers to stay by the balcony.

Yeeun: Nayeon? Why are you here?

Nayeon: Huh? Uh, nothing. The room is too crowded.

Yeeun: Are you waiting for someone?

Nayeon: Hmm? No. I'm not... (Paused) Uhh, mom. How is Aunt Yubin and Uncle Taec? It's been a while since I last saw them.

Yeeun: They'll be here next year. They are planning to return for Jinyoung's graduation. And soon they'll be leaving for US together. The White House will likely be managed by Jungyeon then.

Nayeon: What? Jinyoung... will leave for US?

Yeeun: Yes, Jinyoung will be studying College in US. Don't tell me he didn't tell you?

Nayeon: He... He didn't..

It now makes sense. She always wondered why Jinyoung hasn't applied for college, unlike her brother and Jackson. Why didn't she realize this until now. Nayeon was even more bothered. She had it too much for one day only. She took her phone out and dialed for Jinyoung.

Nayeon: Jinyoung-ah..

Jinyoung: Oh? Nayeon-yang?

Jinyoung seems to be surrounded by a loud music. It seems like the boys are also celebrating tonight.

Nayeon: Why is it so loud there?

Jinyoung: Huh? Ah.. Ne. (Avoids the crowd) We're having a small gathering with our teammates now. We won the first match this afternoon and the boys wanted to have a small celebration. (Laughs) They asked me to buy them drinks.

Nayeon: Ahh.. I see..

Jinyoung: Why did you call, Nayeon-ah? Is something wrong? Do you want to talk to JB? You can't contact him?

Nayeon: No.. I actually.. I want to talk to you..

Jinyoung: Oh.. Is everything alright? Did you meet your parents?

Nayeon: I did.. I'm happy, Jinyoun-ah

Jinyoung: That's a relief. (Pause) Nayeon-ah.. Happy Bithday.

Nayeon: Happy Birthday too.. Oppa..

Jinyoung: Oppa? Wait, did I hear it wrong? Did you just call me Oppa?

Nayeon: You're 20 now so I'll consider it.

Jinyoung: (Smiles) Ya, you're not allowed to take that back, okay? Call me Oppa from now on.

Nayeon: Ne, Oppa.

Jinyoung: Go to your room.

Nayeon: My room? Why?

Jinyoung: Just go!

Nayeon: (Went to her room) Just tell me what is it.

Jinyoung: Look at your desk. Do you see small box? It's red.

Nayeon: Oh.. Ne.. What is this?

Jinyoung: My gift for you.

Nayeon: Eh?

Nayeon unwrapped the box and saw a bunny keychain. She smiled looking at it.

Jinyoung: Happy Birthday, Nayeon-yang.

Nayeon: Thanks... Oppa.


 

Nayeon can't sleep that night. It's already 11:30pm and she kept on turning and rolling over her bed. Her mom and dad are on JB's room. Dahyun, Chaeyoung and Jungyeon are all in her room, fast asleep. Nayeon kept on thinking about alot of things. She's 19 now, and it's her last year as a teenager. She thought of her conversation with Mina earlier and with her conversation with her Mother too. She can't deny the fact that she's affected when Mina asked her if she likes Mark and she's definitely hurt too when she learned that Jinyoung is leaving. She went out for a while and went to Mark's room, and saw his phone on his bed. She then just realized that Mark hasn't called or even greeted her yet. On her way back to her room, her phone suddenly vibrated. It's an unknown number.

Nayeon: Hello?

Mark: Na-- Nayeon-ssi?

Nayeon: Mark?

Mark: Oh.. You're still up. Uhh, the thing is.. I was... I think I'm a bit lost.

Nayeon: What are you talking about? Aren't you with JB-oppa and the rest of the team?

Mark: Ahh, about that.. I told them I'm not feeling well so I went home... first.

Nayeon: What?! Where are you now? (Took her jacket and went out of the house) What landmarks do you see?

Mark: I think I got off the wrong bus stop... Hmm.. (Tells her the landmark)

Nayeon: Okay, I think I know where you are now. Just stay there, okay? Wait for me.

Mark: No, no. Just tell me the direction, I'll go by myself. Don't leave the house, it's dangerous, Nayeon-ssi.

Nayeon: Ya! Aren't you even worried for yourself? You don't even know where you are, you idiot! Stay there, I'm coming.

Nayeon hanged up and went to the nearest bus stop. She hailed a taxi immediately instead since no bus is coming yet. A few minutes later, she saw Mark by the telephone booth near the next bus stop. She got off the taxi and went over to him.

Nayeon: Ya!

Mark: Nayeon-ssi.

Nayeon: Why do you keep on worrying people?! Are you really that idiot?

Mark: (Gave her a bouquet of flowers and a box of cake) S.. Sorry... I.. I don't know your favorite flower or even your favorite cake. Sorry for worrying you.

Nayeon was actually surprised that Mark actually chose to return. She felt touched, as in really really touched, but she can't help but get angry to the fact that Mark is too stubborn. 

Mark: I wasn't able to call or text you cause I left my phone. Sorry, Nayeon-ssi.

She looked at the white roses he brought and the chocolate cake. She isn't a fan of flowers but she really like them, as well as the cake.

Mark: Happy Birthday.

Nayeon: How long have you been waiting here? You didn't call me as soon as you get here, I suppose.

Mark: A.. Ani.. I just get here.. Not too long. About 30 minutes ago. (He lied)

Nayeon: Come on. The taxi's waiting.

Nayeon and Mark sat at the backseat. Nayeon was actually nervous because she didn't expect Mark to bring her something, nor went home to personally greet her. She suddenly felt a weight on her shoulders and found Mark sleeping. For the first time... Nayeon felt her heart beats faster than it normally does. She literally thinks she's palpitating. Since when does she feel this way for Mark? Is this what they call as... Love?

 

 

 

PS: Credits to whoever owns the photo