Chapter 12: The Lies

REPLAY 2010

 

As Jungyeon left, Mark and Nayeon stood there for like more than a minute without even looking at each other. It was when the bus came that Mark finally stared at Nayeon and gathered enough courage to talk to her.

Mark: Are you not riding?

Nayeon: No.

Then Mark didn't even move a bit until the bus was filled with passengers and both of them decided not to ride. Another bus came and left again without them. The silence and distance between them are more than enough to make the situation more awkward. Raindrops suddenly started to pour. Nayeon tried to calm down but she obviously panicked when she realized she forgot to bring her umbrella today, of all days. The rain started to pour harder and she was surprised when Mark covered her with his jacket.

Mark: Let's find some shade!

She didn't have the chance to respond as Mark initiated them to run. As they found shelter, Mark immediately took off his jacket, shook it off, and gave it to Nayeon. It's winter and Nayeon looks cold as ice.

Mark: Are you alright?

Nayeon: Yeah. Are you... are you not cold?

Mark: (Smiles) I'm fine.

Nayeon: That's a first.

Mark: Eh?

Nayeon: I thought you won't ever smile, or talk to me again.

Mark: I talked to you earlier.

Nayeon: But that's during the practice.

Mark: (Sighs) Really?

Nayeon: Thanks for the lunch, by the way.

Mark: How did you --- Aish, Yoo Jungyeon!

Nayeon: She's my bestfriend, of course she'll be on my side.

Mark: Well.. Maybe she's both on our side.

Nayeon: What makes you think of that?

Mark: Well.. Because of her.. I can finally talk to you again.

Nayeon blushed as the rain started to slow down. Mark raised his hand and let the raindrops fall to his palm. Nayeon followed him. Words are not enough to described how they both felt at that moment. Neither of them said sorry, and they didn't even talk about what happened and why they suddenly went to "no speaking" terms. They're happy enough to find each other again.

As Nayeon and Mark walked home, the silence between them is not awkward anymore. They talked of other things, except the matters between them both. It's getting dark and colder, and Nayeon repeatedly heats her hands. She forgot to bring her gloves today. Mark noticed it and then he slowly slid his hand through hers. Nayeon was caught off guard, and hesitated at first, so Mark flinched and slowly tried to let go of it. What he didn't expect is that Nayeon responded by intertwining her fingers with his. Neither of them looked at each other, but they both felt at that moment that their feelings are mutual.

Dahyun: Nayeon-unnie? Mark-oppa?

Dahyun suddenly popped out of nowhere. Mark and Nayeon let go of each other's hand instantly. They didn't realize that they're almost home already.

Dahyun: W... What are you two doing?

Nayeon: Huh? Ah, nothing. Nothing, Dahyunnie. Come on, let's go inside. I'm freezing. (Wraps her arm around Dahyun)

Dahyun: I was just about to go to -- Hey, are you two holding hands?!

Nayeon: W-- What?! No! No, we're not!

Mark just laughed while looking at Nayeon. She's looks so cute when she's lying and she can't even look at him. He followed the two as they entered the Blue house.

 


JINYOUNG'S POV
I tried to remove the bandages wrapped against my left leg and tried to move it. It's not as painful as before. In no time, I can finally be able to walk normally again. These past few days, Nayeon and I grew closer. I tried to be a little kinder to her, but it's not easy 'cause we're friends, and it's weird if I suddenly confess. Whenever I see her smile, she makes it easier for me whenever I feel bad about myself. I don't know why or how, she has this big impact on me. (Laughs) I don't even understand how I wasn't able to confess these feelings until now. Why am I always holding back? It was not like this before, maybe because I was not threatened, and Nayeon hasn't been serious to any guy who confessed to her. Or maybe because I was too confident... or too scared... that she doesn't feel the same way. It's more of the latter, I admit.

Chaeyoung: Oh, Oppa! You can walk now?

Jinyoung: Yeah. I'm good now.

Chaeyoung: That's great! Too bad you still can't join the game tomorrow.

Jinyoung: I trust my team, they'll win. You're watching?

Chaeyoung: Huh? No. No, I won't. As you've said, they're going to win anyway.

Jinyoung: You sure you won't? Yugyeom's gonna play.

Chaeyoung: Oppa!

Jinyoung: Araso, araso. Haha.

Chaeyoung is really trying so hard to avoid Yugyeom now. I'm quite proud of her. At least she's brave enough to know when to give up.

Chaeyoung: But you know Oppa... Nayeon-unnie will never know if you won't tell her.

Jinyoung: Tell her what?

Chaeyoung: (Smiles) Ya, you can't hide secrets from me. I know you like her.

I was shocked. Am I that obvious? Since when did Chaeyoung know?

Chaeyoung: See? You're speechless. I'm right, right?

Jinyoung: W--What are you talking about? Who says I like her?

Chaeyoung: Your pale face says it all. You don't have to hide it. Haha! Don't worry, it's our secret. (Walks aways)

Jinyoung: Ch -- Chaeyoung-ahh!

Chaeyoung: Fighting oppa!

I was left dumbfounded. How did she knew all about it? I haven't told anyone about it, not even JB. This girl really. I tried to look at my wallet where I keep Nayeon and I's photo together taken 3 years ago during my middle highschool graduation. It was actually a photo of both our families and the only photo where both of us are standing beside each other. It's rare, that's why I keep it and even cut out the others. Maybe Chaeyoung was right. Maybe I should stop holding back. I quickly took my phone out and dialed for her number. Is she still awake? It's 11 o'clock already.

Nayeon: Hello?

Jinyoung: Oh, Nayeon-ah.

Nayeon: What is it, Oppa?

Jinyoung: Oh... I was just about to ask if... If you're free tomorrow?

Nayeon: Tomorrow? What is it? You know I can meet you anytime, you're just next door.

Jinyoung: What I mean is.. are you free to go out? Tomorrow night, after the game?

Nayeon: Oh.. Do you need to go somewhere?

Jinyoung: Ahh -- Yeah. I... I need to pick up something from the --

Nayeon: Alright. No problem. I'll see you tomorrow, then.

Jinyoung: Okay, good night, Nayeon-ah.

Nayeon: Night night!

Nayeon seemed to be so happy. I can't wait to see her tomorrow. How should I tell her by the way?

"Nayeon-ah.. I know this might sound crazy but... I like you..."

"For more than 12 years, I --"

"You have the right to be angry but I want you to know that --"

"Do you know that I like you?"

"Can you feel my heartbeat?"

These all sound so lame. How can I ever tell her?  I looked at our photo in my wallet again.

"Im Nayeon.. saranghae..."

Is that enough? Should I just tell her that directly? I think she might just laugh at me.

"Nayeon-ah.. Nayeonnie.. Nayeon-yang... Oppa... likes you... Oppa really really likes you"

How can I sleep at this state? I was excited earlier but now I don't think I can do it. You're so lame, Park Jinyoung!

 


Morning has come and the boys are getting ready for an early morning practice at a basketball court at the park. This afternoon will be their Final game against SM High, and for the second time, they meet for the finals. JB hopes that they will win against them now.

KNOCK KNOCK!!

JB: Jinyoung-ah, are you ready?

Jinyoung: (Woke up) Huh?

The door to Jinyoung's bedroom suddenly opened.

JB: Are you not coming? We'll be having the routine practice now.

Jinyoung: I will, I will. I just... I'll just go and change.

Jinyoung directly go to the washroom while JB sat on his bed.

JB: Alright.

Jinyoung: Can you please pass me my meds, it's on the drawer on the right.

JB: Okay.

As JB opened the drawer to take Jinyoung's meds, his attention was caught by a folded letter on its side. He took it and read it silently.

"Dear Mr. Jinyoung Park... We are pleased to congratulate you upon your admission to Boston University, School of Medicine.."

Jinyoung: Did you see it? It's that yellow plastic container.

Jinyoung went out of the washroom when JB wasn't able to respond.

JB: What is this?

Jinyoung was caught off guard. He didn't tell anyone about his plans to study abroad for college.

Jinyoung: It's nothing..

He took the paper from JB's hands, put it back in the drawer and closed it.

JB: You're leaving?

Jinyoung wasn't able to answer. He just took a tablet from the sealed container.

JB: Why didn't you tell me? Is that the reason why you don't join Jackson and I on applying for college here in Seoul? Why you kept on changing topics whenever we discuss college plans?

Jinyoung: You know I always wanted this.

JB: But you should've told me. I'm your bestfriend. You're leaving, and I will support you, but not this way.

Jinyoung: JB!

JB: Do Jungyeon and Chaeyoung know? Nayeon?

Jinyoung: They'll know eventually.

JB finds Jinyoung's response sarcastically amusing.

JB: So that was it? You're planning on leaving and you're not telling us beforehand. Fine. Deal with it.

JB left and Jinyoung felt guilty. He was right. How can he ever tell his cousins and Nayeon that he is leaving. They depend on him. He felt stupid with the fact that he barely slept last night thinking of how to confess to Nayeon, knowing that he's leaving in less than 5 months. He felt selfish.

 

JB, Jackson and Mark went to the park together and they saw Yugyeom, Bambam and Youngjae from a far.

JB: Oh, you're here.

Bambam: Where's Jinyoung-hyung?

Youngjae: Is his leg not yet okay?

Jackson: He's ---

Yugyeom: Oh! There he is!

They looked as Jinyoung slowly runs towards them.

Jackson: Ya! Why are you running already?!

JB avoided him and the boys find it strange. Jinyoung only sat at the bench watching them play. He wanted to join. God knows how much he wanted to play even for the last time for his team. After all, he's leaving. He was startled when Mark sat beside him, drank his bottle of water and offered him too.

Jinyoung: I'm okay.

Mark smiled and they both drifted their eyes towards the other members. They both can't deny the fact that they are not as close as much as they are with others. And it's because of one common reason - Nayeon.

Mark: Jinyoung-ah..

Jinyoung: Hmm?

Mark: Can I ask you something?

Jinyoung: What is it?

Mark: I just wanted to know if... if... you like Nayeon.

Jinyoung: Nayeon?

Mark: Yeah..

Jinyoung: Ahh.. (Chuckles) What makes you think I like her?

Mark: I.. You... You know her for a long time and... you know a lot of things about her... and... it's Nayeon. She's Nayeon. Everything about her is likable.

Jinyoung: (Chuckles) Nayeon is like a sister to me. And you know what? If you like her, go for it.

Mark: Really? Should I?

Jinyoung: If you like her that much, show it to her, tell her. There are times when it's hard to understand her cause she tends to keep everything on her own, and she sometimes calls you in the middle of the night.. just asking if you're asleep already. There are times when she argues with you a lot, so just let her win. And there are times when she wants to be alone, so let her be..

Mark just looked at Jinyoung as he said things spontaneously, as if he wanted to say more but hesitated.

Jinyoung: She's special and she deserves happiness, Mark. And I want you to give her that. But just promise me one thing. Never, ever, try to hurt her or make her cry. Otherwise, I will never forgive you.

Mark: Is that a threat? (Laughs)

Jinyoung: Why, are you scared? (Chuckles)

Mark: It chickens me out! Haha! Thanks by the way, man. I wanted to make sure that I won't lose a friend before I confess to her. I always thought you hate me being around Nayeon.

Jinyoung: Yeah, I do.

Mark: What? Haha!

Jinyoung: I'm joking. Am I creeping you out again? Haha!

Mark: (Laughs) But really... I really hope you can play with us today, Jinyoung-ah.

Jinyoung: Yeah..

Mark patted Jinyoung and went back to the game. Jinyoung's smile faded. He knows deep inside that he lost now. He felt Mark's sincerity when he approached him first before telling Nayeon. Maybe Mark likes her more than he does. Or maybe it's not the right time. Or maybe... Just maybe.. these feelings he has for Nayeon are not really meant to be confessed.


The game starts in exactly 4pm. The boys are very relaxed and are all fortunately in a good mood, well except for JB. Jinyoung came too, with no bandages on, sitting beside their coach Nichkhun. Every now and then, he will look at the crowd to search for Nayeon. Mark is a bit disturbed too when he realized she wasn't with the crowd.

The game is fairly on the boys' side now. JYP High leads with almost 10 points. Just when the 2nd half started, Nayeon finally arrived, but she's not alone. Jungyeon, Jae, Jihyo, Sungjin, Chaeyoung, Brian, Dahyun, Wonpil and Dowoon are with her. Now that explains why she's late.

That was not good. Youngjae suddenly lost his focus when he saw Jihyo and Sungjin together. Yugyeom also became anxious when he saw Brian giving Chaeyoung drinks and laughing with her. JB became even more disturbed, not because of Jungyeon and Jae this time, but because Wonpil is obviously trying to get Dahyun's attention even though the latter continuously waved at him. Only Mark was the one who got motivated upon seeing Nayeon.

Nichkhun: What happened to you guys? Your opponents are catching up!

JB: Sorry, coach.

Nichkhun: Focus! Get your head on the game!

But when the last quarter came, JYP High can no longer maintain their lead. They are tied now, and almost everyone are exhausted.

Nichkhun: This is not good. The boys forced their energy too much at the start.

Jinyoung: Then let me play.

Nichkhun: What?

Jinyoung: Let me play, coach. Just this one last time.. Please..

Jinyoung changed into his jersey and in no time, Nichkhun let him join. The crowd started cheering up again.

Chaeyoung: Heol! Jinyoung-oppa will play?

Dahyun: What?!

Jae: That guy really! He's still injured!

Nayeon: Jinyoung-ah..

Jungyeon: This will be his last game so I guess that's why Nichkhun-songsaengnim let him.

Nayeon: But still --

 

NAYEON'S POV
I don't know what came to his mind. I can't believe how stubborn he is! Park Jinyoung, why are you making everyone worried? I also saw how shocked the others were when he entered the court. JB-oppa looks so worried.

Jungyeon: Songsaeng-nim doesn't have a choice. Everyone's weary already. I think they gave all their energy in the first half of the game.

Dahyun: How come you know everything?

Jungyeon: Well I grew up playing basketball too with --

Jungyeon stopped and was reminded that she's beside her new bf. She's right, though. JB-oppa and her used to play together. He basically was the one who taught her. Jinyoung-oppa also tried to teach me but I still don't like it. I'm not into sports.

Dahyun: With?

Jungyeon: (Points) Oh! Jinyoung-oppa made a shot!

Chaeyoung: Wow!

Brian: He's great!

Wonpil: He's injured in that state?

I felt proud, but still worried. What if something bad happen to him again?

After a series of rally, the game finally ended. Thankfully it ended well. We won! JYP High takes its first ever win for finals! The team made history! I was so happy that I can't even contain it. I rushed over to them but hesitated when I saw Mark and Jinyoung. Who should I congratulate first? I couldn't make up my mind so I decided to hug my brother first before turning to others.

Mark: Hey!

Mark patted my shoulder.

Nayeon: Hey.

Mark: When did you arrive? I've been looking for you.

Nayeon: Ahh -- Just before the third quarter. Great game, by the way!

Mark: Nah, I didn't do much.

Nayeon: Don't act humble, it doesn't suit you.

Mark: Ya! I am humble.

Nayeon: Humble people don't say they're humble. You're funny, haha!

Mark: Hey.. I'm just curious if... you're free later?

Nayeon: Oh.. Uhh.. The thing is.. I have plans tonight..

I was not sure why I said that. I could just have told him the truth that I'll be accompanying Jinyoung-oppa but I couldn't. It's not like I'm committing infidelity here, but why do I feel so guilty?

Mark: Ohh.. Alright. Well, maybe next time. Tomorrow?

Nayeon: Tomorrow sounds good.

Mark: Okay. (Grins) It's not like we won't see each other later, haha.

Nayeon: Yeah, you're weird. But still, congratulations.

Mark: Thanks!

I looked around to talk to Jinyoung-oppa, but it's like he's avoiding me. He's acting strange today, I don't know why. Why is it when I'm okay with Mark, Jinyoung starts being strange? And when he and I are in good terms, Mark keeps his distance? Why are men so complicated?

The team decided to celebrate at the Blue house this time. I didn't see Jinyoung with them as they went out of the venue. Jackson said Jinyoung told him he's going somewhere so I decided to wait by the entrance. Maybe he just forgot to bring his phone. I kept on calling him but he won't pick up. I called Jungyeon but she said Jinyoung is not with them. She joined the party with Chaeyoung, Dahyun and Day6 members. I wanted to come too, but I promised him that I'll see him tonight.

 

 

Nayeon waited for an hour, freezing. It's almost 8pm and still no sign of Jinyoung. At last, after calling him almost 10 times, Jinyoung finally answered.

Nayeon: Oppa, where are you?

Jinyoung: Oh, Nayeon-ah. Sorry, I forgot to tell you that I have other plans. Where are you?

Nayeon: I was waiting here by the entrance of the sports venue. I thought you didn't leave. Are you okay?

Jinyoung: I'm fine. Of course. (Voice cracking) It's just the cold. Sorry, Nayeon-ah. You should go home now.

Nayeon: Ohh.. Araso. Don't force yourself too much. Your leg must be still painful after playing. Okay? Be sure to go home safely, okay?

Jinyoung: ... Okay. I... I got to go. Bye.

Jinyoung hanged up and Nayeon just let out a sigh. She finally walked away and looked for a cab. Without her knowing, Jinyoung was standing on the other side of the venue watching her walk away, as tears finally fall from his eyes.

Jinyoung: Sorry, Nayeon-ah. I'm sorry.

 

Nayeon slowly walked home. It's dark now, and even her multiple clothes can't bear the cold breeze. Before she realized it, snow started to fall. She lifted her hands and to her surprise, she saw a familiar figure standing in front of the Blue House.

Nayeon: Mark?

Mark: Nayeon-ssi.

Nayeon: Why are out here? It's cold.

Mark: It's snowing.

Nayeon: Yeah, but why are you here?

Mark: Waiting for you..

Nayeon: How did you know I'm coming home now?

Mark: Instincts? (Laughs)

Mark opened up his thick outermost jacket.

Mark: I'm cold. (Pouts)

Nayeon then put her arms around him and hugged him.

Nayeon: Feeling better?

Mark: Much better.

Mark hugged her back as they both enjoyed the view of the snow slowly falling from the skies. Nayeon found a safe haven in his arms, and she thought she can never let go of that.