Chapter 14: The Call

REPLAY 2010

 

December 2016.


Winter once again arrived in Seoul. Snow starts to fall, and again, everyone is excited for the holidays. It's been months since Nayeon came back from her "1 year trip". Everything is not the same anymore. No one lives in the Blue House now, while the White House is currently being managed by Jungyeon. Chaeyoung also moved to a new dorm near her University. JB on the other hand is busy with his work and also for preparing for something special.

Six years ago, both houses were filled with laughters and happiness. But for Nayeon, everything turned into a painful memory. She can't stand being alone in the Blue House so most of the time, she sleeps in the White House with Jungyeon. Jobless at the moment, she would spend her day roaming around the neighborhood, shop, and sometimes, meet with her friends.

Jungyeon: Nayeon-ah..

Nayeon: Neh, Jungie?

Jungyeon: What are you planning for Christmas?

Nayeon: Me? Hmm.. None at the moment.

Jungyeon: Wae yo? Are you not gonna visit your folks?

Nayeon: I visited them last year during my trip. How about you?

Jungyeon: I'm uhh.. I'm actually planning to host a party during Christmas eve.

Nayeon: Oh? That's a great idea! I won't be homeless then.

Jungyeon: You're not homeless. Your house is just next door, pabo. Besides, JB-oppa is coming for the holidays, right?

Nayeon: I hate it when you're right.

Jungyeon: Aren't you going out today? There's Christmas sale... I've heard.

Nayeon: It's not until tomorrow.

Jungyeon: Oh, well aren't you tired of seeing the same face everyday? Why don't you hang around Jihyo's or Mina's?

Nayeon: Mina is busy baby-sitting. Jihyo and I went on KTV the other day. She said she has plans today.

Jungyeon: I see... Oh! How about Sana and Momo?

Nayeon: Sana and Momo will spend the holidays in Japan, remember? They are probably on the plane now.

Jungyeon: Ohh. Right. I almost forgot. Then why don't you go visit your grandparents today? You know, in case you missed them?

Nayeon: I'm planning on going this weekend with JB-oppa. He said he'll take a leave.

Jungyeon: Ahh, right. Then uhhh --

Nayeon: Are you okay? Why do you look so tense?

Jungyeon: Huh? Me? No -- I'm -- (pretends to look at her phone) Oh! Chaeng said she's coming tonight!

Nayeon: What's that dwarf up to these days? She doesn't even answer my messages.

Jungyeon: Ya. She's affected more than me when you left! She called you almost everyday, don't you know that? She cried alot.

Nayeon: I... I know.

Jungyeon: Tsk. She loves you more than her own sister. I won't be surprised if she won't even look at you.

Nayeon: Does she know I'm here?

Jungyeon: Oh yeah. I told her. She hasn't replied yet.

Nayeon: I guess I got to prepare some dramatic speech for her then.

Jungyeon: Yeah, I bet. You should probably go home for that!

Nayeon: (Confused) Why do I have to go home just for that?

Jungyeon: Huh? 

Nayeon: Are you hiding something from me?

Jungyeon: Ahh, Nayeon-ah. To be honest, yesterday I --

*Riiinng* *Riiiinng*

Nayeon: (Awkwardly snapped) I'll get it!

Jungyeon: (Worried) Hey, wait --

But it was too late for Jungyeon to stop Nayeon.

Nayeon: Hello?

The other line seemed to be surprised. Nobody answered.

Nayeon: Uhmm, hello? Who's this?

 

"Nayeon-ah.."

Nayeon was startled. That voice. She heard that voice again. She never thought she'll be able to hear his voice again. What surprised her more is that she felt like she longed for this voice so much.. His voice.. His presence.. His warmth..

 

January 2011.


A brand new year. A brand new start. While everyone is excited to go back to school in this cold snowy morning, one girl wanted this day to end as quickly as possible.

Jihyo: Ya! Im Nayeon! Are you even listening?!

Nayeon: Eh? Ahh --- Sorry, I'm just ---

Jihyo: It's okay. Don't be too nervous. It's going to be fine. Okay? Just do it the same way as the dry-run.

Nayeon: Jihyo-ya..

Jihyo: (Smiles) You look perfect. Raise that chin up!

Jungyeon: Im Nayeon! Be ready! The show's gonna start in a minute.

Nayeon took a deep breath and closed her eyes. They are now getting ready on the backstage, and the audience's curiosity and excitement are deafening. But to Nayeon, all she can ever hear is her heartbeat that is literally doubling. She sighed again, eyes still closed until she felt someone's presence.

Nayeon: Ji -- Jinyoung-ah.

Jinyoung: What's with you? Calling me Jinyoung again.

Nayeon: Sorry ---

Jinyoung: Are you ready?

Nayeon: Are you?

Jinyoung: I will be as long as you are.

Nayeon: Are you not nervous?

Jinyoung: I am. It's my first time with you on stage. (Sighs) If only we're able to practice more --

Jinyoung is right. Though they practiced every scene smoothly, they haven't practiced their dance routines on stage together since he was injured during rehearsals. He is really nervous this time. They barely practiced during the break too.

Nayeon: We'll be fine. I trust you.

Jinyoung smiled at her. That moment, Nayeon felt more comfortable. She thought of how the whole group depends on their performance, and she can't bear disappointing them. Before the red curtain opened, Jinyoung held her hand. He was cold as ice.

Jinyoung: If you really trust me, don't call me Jinyoung.

He smiled at her. His smile is sincere, unlike the usual teasing smirks he gives her.

Jinyoung: I'm your Oppa now.

 

The play ended with astounding impact to the viewers. Of course it was not as smooth as professionals do it, but they delivered more than what was expected. Jungyeon was highly praised for her great direction, and all committees - choreo, technical and costume - were satisfied with their masterpiece. The audience gave them a standing ovation when they finally bowed all together on stage.


Backstage

Mark's POV
I'm all smiles when the play ended successfully. It was an amazing experience being a part of it. The crowd was very pleased, and of course, the performers - us too, were rejoicing. But what bothers me is that I kept on feeling some tension when Jinyoung and I encounter each other, especially during the dance scene. I don't know why. There's something on the way he looks at her. And it's beyond the role, it's beyond friendship. And it bothers me so much.

Bambam: Oh! Hyung! What is this?

Oh sh*t! I forgot about the flowers!

Bambam: Is this yours, hyung?

Really, Bambam is something! His voice is so loud that everyone looked at our direction.

Jackson: Oh, loverboy has flowers.

Not you too, Jackson.

Mark: Come on, give it here.

Bambam: (Reads the note) "You're amazing today." Oh! Oh!

Mark: Hey, stop it!

Jinyoung: Ya, why are so noisy there? Help us pack up.

Jackson: Coming!

I immediately took the bouquet from Bambam's hands. This kid is really driving me nuts.

Bambam: Mark-hyung is in love!!! Mark-hyung is in love! Love love love!!!

Mark: Shut it!

I looked at Nayeon's direction. She's not looking but I can see that she's smiling, so I also chuckled a bit.

Jinyoung: Ya, are you not gonna stop?

JB: Oh, what's the atmosphere here?

Jackson: Hyung, how's the play?

JB: It's all fine... Until you showed up! Hahaha.

Jackson: Eh?! Nomuhae!

JB: Oh, what's with those flowers, Mark?

Bambam: Hyung got himself a girlfriend.

JB: Really?

Oh sh*t, this is really getting out of hand. I looked at Nayeon from afar, and I sense that she's listening, but she's still not looking at us.

Mark: It's nothing.

JB: Ya, if you're confessing to someone, do it now.

Bambam: Confess! Confess!

Jackson: Go on, Mark. She's right there!

JB: Huh, who?

I saw Jinyoung looked at Nayeon. Nayeon looked at me and shook her head. This is not good.

JB: Who are you referring, Jackson?

I looked at the others. Jungyeon is obviously taken. Dahyun and Chaeng will laugh at me. Jihyo will kill me. I closed my eyes and at that moment, someone passed by us --

Mark: Mina --

Jackson: Mina?

Mina: Eh?

Mark: (Offers the flowers) Flowers --

Bambam: Oh! Mark-hyung daebak!

Mina: For me?

I looked at Nayeon who seemed to be laughing. Jinyoung is shocked. Jackson is about to protest. And here I am, giving myself an imaginary facepalm.

Jackson: Ya, I thought --

Nayeon: Hey, Jackson, will you get out?! So noisy!

Bambam: Yeah, get out!

Nayeon: You too, get out!

Everyone laughed. Well, except Jinyoung and me. He knows it's for Nayeon. Jackson too. But I can't say it out loud. I want to say what I feel for her, how happy I am that I have her, in front of everyone. But not now, not today, not until she's ready. I feel so empty inside, so this is what a secret love story is all about.

 


That night, Mark and Nayeon are sitting on the doorstep of the Blue House. They are both enjoying the snow outside. It was only this time when the two of them have an alone time together since they mutually agreed that they will not tell anyone at the moment about their relationship. Mark held Nayeon's hands, rubbing it softly.

Mark: (Sighs) I'm sorry.

Nayeon: Sorry for what?

Mark: I shouldn't have brought those flowers.

Nayeon: Hahaha! Who told you to bring those?

Mark: I want to surprise you of course. What's wrong with giving flowers?

Nayeon: Nothing..

Mark: Now everyone thinks I like someone else. And what's worse is it's Mina.

Nayeon: Why not? Mina is beautiful and smart. She's a better package, right?

Mark: (Pouts) Are you giving me away now?

Nayeon: Aigoo. Stop acting cute. I'm just saying that I'm not yet ready to tell anyone. And Mina is not a bad choice, what do you see in me anyway?

Mark: You're... You... Nayeon. She's not you... You're not her... I don't want anyone else.

Nayeon: (Blushes) Stop it.

Mark: Stop what?

Nayeon: You're embarrassing me.

Mark: (Laughs) Ah, Nayeon-ah. Why is it that you don't call anyone Oppa aside from JB?

Nayeon: Eh?

Mark: Nothing (looked away), I was just... you know... wondering.

Nayeon: Ahh.. (Chuckled) I just... want it that way.

Mark: Really? No reason at all?

Nayeon: Actually... There is..

Mark stopped rubbing Nayeon's hands and focused on her more.

Nayeon: When I was young, I really enjoyed watching dramas and romantic comedy movies... And I find it cute when girls call their boyfriends "Oppa".

Mark: Then?

Nayeon: So.. I told myself that I won't call anyone unrelated to me as Oppa, unless.. 

Mark: Unless?

Nayeon: Unless.. he's the one..

Mark: The one? You mean --

Nayeon: You know... Like Mr. Right or such...

Mark: Oh. (Looks away again) I see..

Nayeon: (Worried then laughed) But -- But that was before! I'm a grown up now, and I realized it's childish for me to do that.

Mark: But you call Jinyoung as Oppa now..

Nayeon: (Laughs hard) Ya! Are you jealous?

Mark: (Blank face) No. Why should I? Dahyun and Chaeyoung call me Oppa. Others call me Oppa too. I'm not jealous at all.

Nayeon: (Cups Mark's face) Aigoo.. This Ahjussi..

Mark: Now you're calling me Ahjussi..

Nayeon: Ya. Stop whining. Do you want me to call you Oppa now too?

Mark: No. I hate it. Don't ever call me such.

Nayeon: Aigoo.. So what do you want me to call you?

Mark: Yeo -- Yeobo (honey)?

Nayeon: Yah! Do you want to die?

Mark: (Laughs) Araso. Araso.

Nayeon: Actually I like it..

Mark: What? The Yeobo?

Nayeon: Ani! (Smiles) Ahjussi!

Mark: Eh?!

Nayeon: Nae Ahjussi (My mister)!

Mark: Why ahjussi?! Do I look like one?

Nayeon: Ne. You do. (Laughs) Besides, you're the eldest among us. It suits you, Ahjussi.

Mark: Ara. Call me ahjussi, I'll call you Yeobo.

Nayeon: Ehh?! That's not fair!

Mark: Oh, so you're the one who's complaining now? Want me to call you Ahjumma instead?

Nayeon: You really asking for it, don't you?

Mark: Ya, why are you so serious? Just let me call you Yeobo, okay?

Nayeon: Call! (Raises her hand)

Mark: Call! (High fives Nayeon)

Nayeon: (Smiles) Aren't you sleepy yet?

Mark: (Rests his head on Nayeon's shoulder) Ani. I want to be with Yeobo.

Nayeon: Tss. Nae ahjussi is so cute.

It was a warm moment for them both although the whole city is below 0 degrees already. Mark had been Nayeon's faithful Ahjussi, and Nayeon had been Mark's loving Yeobo.

 


December 2016.


"Nayeon-ah.."

...

"It's you, right?"

...

"Hello?"

...

"Na--"

Nayeon removed the phone against her ear but she didn't hang up. She looked at Jungyeon and finally understood why the younger girl was all panicking earlier.

Nayeon: It's been a while... Jinyoung-ah.

 

 

PS: Sorry for the super late update. I thought of not continuing this story (mainly due to my busy sched, as well as the scarcity of GOTWICE moments 😔) but it'll unfair for us both. So I'll be updating it once in a while when I have time. Also, I already finalize the loveteams. Please look forward for it. ❤️