Chapter 13: The Firsts

REPLAY 2010

 

It's been days since that night when Mark and Nayeon started clinging on to each other. Mark would wait for her everyday outside her room just to greet her good morning. Nayeon felt that kind of happiness she never felt before. Those butterflies in the stomach she feels whenever they would sneak out almost every night just to walk around the neighborhood, holding hands. Those sleepless nights she experienced thinking about him. But somehow, Nayeon finds it weird that Mark still hasn't tell her directly the exact magic words. She got frustrated thinking what exactly is their relationship now. She sulked as she laid down on her bed looking at the wall clock.

Jungyeon: Are you okay?

Nayeon: I guess.

Jungyeon: What's wrong, Bunny?

Nayeon: Jungyeon-ah.. Could you tell me again how Jae-oppa confessed to you?

Jungyeon: Huh? Why are suddenly asking me that?

Nayeon: Just... Just curious...

Jungyeon: Uhh. How did it happen again? Hmm.. It was not direct though. We've been texting each other that night then he asked if he can call me. Then that's it. He confessed through call, since he said he can't do it personally. What an idiot.

Nayeon: And then?

Jungyeon: I just laughed at him all night but I didn't gave him an answer yet. I wanted him to say it personally before I said yes.

Nayeon: At least he still tried through phone.. (Sighs)

Jungyeon: Why? Are you troubled lately?

Nayeon: The things is... Mark and I --

Jungyeon: At last! Finally you're telling me now!

Nayeon: Hey, but it's just between us right now, okay? I don't wanna freak anyone at the moment.

Jungyeon: Okay. So tell me... What's the score between you and Mark?

Nayeon: (Sighs) Actually I'm not sure..

Jungyeon: What?!

Nayeon: I don't know. We see each other, we hug, we hold hands...

Jungyeon: And what's not good about it, then?

Nayeon: Is it usually like that? I mean.. No confessions? No "I like you" like that?

Jungyeon: So you mean you haven't talked about it and you let him hold you, oh God, Im Nayeon, you're impulsive!

Nayeon: (Worried) Am I? Oh, jeez. That Mark! He must now think I'm an easy target! Well, if dating in LA is that easy, he must know that I'm not one of those girls! (Covers her face with pillow)

Jungyeon: Hey! (Laughs) I'm just joking. Some relationships start like that, it's called a mutual understanding. So you both like each other, act more than friends but are not committed yet.

Nayeon: But I don't like just a mutual understanding!

Jungyeon: Then tell him! (Laughs) How will he know?

Nayeon: I'm scared. What if he drifts away? What if it's just what he wanted at the moment?

Jungyeon: And what do you want?

Nayeon: I don't know... Maybe I want a serious one? Hey, I haven't been in a relationship so I usually don't know how it works. But from what I see in others ---

Jungyeon: See? That's the problem.

Nayeon: Huh?

Jungyeon: You're comparing yours to others. You don't have to do that. You have to go with the flow and see where it goes. You can't just do this because every couple does this and that. You have to create your own.

Nayeon: But still, I'm kinda confused of what we are. I mean, we've been doing more-than-friends things for days already and he still hasn't tell me if he likes me or what. I don't know where to stand. What if I'm just convenient for him, or just... just someone he wanted for now.

Jungyeon: (Laughs) You're funny. I didn't know you're this serious, Nayeon-ah.

Nayeon: So what? I wanted my first relationship to be special, what's so funny about that?

Jungyeon: Nothing. Hahaha! But you know, if you wanted it to work out, talk to him. Ask him first.

 

While the bestfriends are hanging out in Nayeon's room, Mark and Jackson are busy preparing Christmas lights while Dahyun and Tzuyu decorate the Christmas tree in the living room.

Tzuyu: Can I ask you something?

Dahyun: Sure?

Tzuyu: Is there something between Nayeon and my brother?

Dahyun: Shhh.. Don't tell JB-oppa, but I saw them holding hands lately.

Tzuyu: I knew it! He went all his way here to avoid being engaged and now he found someone better.

Dahyun: What? Engaged?

Tzuyu: Oh, I said too much. (Covers ) Well, Mark was initially arranged to marry our family friend, and her parents and our mom are business partners. And you know, traditional "Chinese" thing.

Dahyun: Wait, wait! Did you just say Mark is on a fixed marriage?

Tzuyu: Uhh, yes? I mean, they're not yet engaged but eventually they will. Once he comes back to LA.

Dahyun: Otteoke.

Tzuyu: What do you mean?

Dahyun: If Nayeon-unnie knows about this ---

Tzuyu: Oh..

 

On the other side, Mark is trying to open up a conversation with Jackson but the latter is too busy with decorating.

Mark: Jackson-ah.

Jackson: What?! I'm busy, bro. You wanted me to help you put these up and now you're disturbing me.

Mark: Ya! Alright, stop it. I won't ask your help anymore.

Jackson: Hey, I'm just joking. Where's JB-hyung by the way?

Mark: I'm not sure, I haven't seen him the whole day.

Jackson: Jinyoung's gone too. I wonder what happened between them. They seemed a bit off since the finals.

Mark: Yeah, I felt it too.

Jackson: Anyway, you're saying something?

Mark: Oh.. Actually.. I wanted to ask for advice.

Jackson: What? Money matters? Sorry man, you're a ton richer than me.

Mark: No. Haha! It's actually.. (Laughs)

Jackson: Hey, what is it? Is it something serious?

Mark: I'm planning to confess to Nayeon tonight..

Jackson: Ohh! Oh! (Shocked) I knew it! I knew you like her! What the hell! Why didn't you tell me anything!

Mark: Shh! Shut up!

Jackson: Sorry! Sorry, I overreacted.

Mark: So.. What am I gonna say?

Jackson: Just tell her you like her. End of story.

Mark: But isn't that too plain?

Jackson: What do you have in mind?

Mark: Well.. I actually have a lot in mind. I wanted to talk about it but it seems like the timing is not right. I was planning to reserve a date but I felt like she wanted to spend Christmas here.

Jackson: How did you know if you hadn't tried?

Mark: I just wanted my confession to be special. What's wrong with that?

Jackson: Okay, so here's an advice. Make it simple. Approach her first, then look at her eyes, and tell her exactly what you feel and wanted to tell her at that moment.

Mark: No gifts? No flowers? Chocolates?

Jackson: I'm pretty sure girls love that but... Nayeon? She's used to that already.

Mark: You sure?

Jackson: Yeah. And it's a confession, Mark. Not a proposal. You'll freak her out if you keep on showering her gifts. Just be direct to the point.

Mark: You're right.

Jackson: Keep it simple, okay? Goodluck.

Mark: Thanks, Jackson. (Sighs)

 

That night, JB, Mark, Nayeon, Dahyun and Tzuyu spent and ate dinner together. JB, Nayeon and Dahyun prepared the food while Mark and Tzuyu finished up last minute decorating. Mark is actually finding the right time to approach Nayeon the whole night but he noticed that the latter seemed to be avoiding him. He got confused.

Jungyeon: Hey!

Nayeon: Ow? What are you guys doing here?

Jackson: Are there still food left? We haven't eaten yet.

Dahyun: Why?

Chaeyoung: Jinyoung-oppa isn't home yet. He left early this morning, and we thought he's gonna treat us for dinner.

Mark: You mean he hasn't came home yet?

Jungyeon: Oppa seems not okay lately. It's bothering me too.

Jackson: What are y'all talking about? I bet he's spending the day with someone special. Didn't you noticed that he seemed to be motivated since last month? I'm telling you, he's dating someone. Right, Hyung?

But JB didn't answer back. Chaeyoung looked at Nayeon who's all confused. Jungyeon glanced at JB, eyeing him for answers , but the latter just pursed his lips and went upstairs. Nayeon and Dahyun prepared the table again. Jungyeon, Jackson and Chaeyoung finished eating but still no sign of Jinyoung. It's almost midnight already.

Jackson: I'm telling y'all, it's a girl problem.

Nayeon tried to call Jinyoung but the latter doesn't answer. Everyone got worried.

Jackson: Hey, you're all freaking me out. Why are you all so serious?

Jungyeon: Oppa is not like this. He will never let anyone worry like this.

JB quickly went downstairs and put his jacket on.

Dahyun: Oppa, where are you going?

JB: You all stay here, okay? I'll look for him.

Nayeon: I'll go with you.

Jungyeon: He's my cousin so I should go too.

Mark: Let me help.

JB: Okay. Let's pair up and split. Dahyun, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu will stay at the White house. Lock the doors and keep in touch. Call us if ever Jinyoung's gets home.

Nayeon immediately grabbed Jungyeon with her. Mark actually wanted to pair up with her but she's obviously disregarding him now. The five went out and parted ways. Jungyeon and Nayeon decided to search around the neighborhood. Mark and Jackson chose to search near their school. JB walks alone thinking about the places Jinyoung usaully goes to alone. He can't think of any, until an idea passed by his mind.

JB hailed a taxi. In less than half an hour, he arrived at a certain location, Jinyoung's favorite hide-out. He saw a familiar back slouching, with it's owner facing the river. With the lights around him, JB is so sure that the person is Jinyoung.

JB: I knew you're here.

Jinyoung turned around, surprised to see JB.

JB: What's wrong this time?

The last time Jinyoung went in the Han river alone was when both his parents decided to stay in US to pursue their own jobs. That was 4 years ago, and it took long before Jinyoung stopped going to river.

Jinyoung: Why are you here?

JB looked at Jinyoung who's face is getting red. He probably drank more than his usual. JB witnessed more cans of beer and soju bottles beside Jinyoung. He looked and sounded drunk this time.

JB: Why are you drinking alone in this cold Christmas eve? Let's go home, buddy.

Jinyoung: Even if I go home, it won't change a thing. I'm leaving, and.. You know? Just leave me alone.

JB: Ya, stop acting like this. You're not like this, Jinyoung-ah.

Jinyoung: Yeah, right. (Laughs) Well the truth is this is me. This is the real me. (Opens another can of beer) This is the real Park Jinyoung.

JB: Stop now, you're drunk already. (Tried to shove the can away)

Jinyoung: I'm fine. You can drink if you want, just let me drink tonight.

JB took a can of beer and drank with him.

JB: It's been so long since you last went here. Why go here when finally you'll get to be with your parents again.

Jinyoung: I missed them. I want to be with them again. And I want to chase my dreams too.

JB: Why do you sound like you're having second thoughts?

Jinyoung: (Drinks) Yeah.. I do.

JB: Is it really because of a girl?

Jinyoung: (Laughs) What? Haha.

JB: Jackson said he sensed you're seeing someone.

Jinyoung: (Smiles) It would be better that way, I guess.

JB: (Pats Jinyoung) Ya. Sorry for reacting that way. I should've shown you support. I'm just surprised and... you know you're my bestfriend, right? What will I do without you, huh?

Jinyoung laughed.

Jinyoung: You'll be fine without me.

The two drank together until Jinyoung finally passed out. JB carried him and took a cab home. He grabbed his wallet and figured that he was short of money. He then looked for Jinyoung's wallet through his jacket. Upon opening his wallet, he noticed a picture peeping out. He was curious so he took it out and was surprised to see Nayeon and Jinyoung on it.

JB: Jinyoung-ah.. You.. You like Nayeon?

But Jinyoung didn't answer and was deep on his sleep. JB was so torn now. He must've felt how Jinyoung feels while holding back his feelings for Nayeon all this time. 

 

JB called everyone and informed them that he and Jinyoung are on their way home. They immediately went back to the white house in time. Jackson helped JB carrying the drunk Jinyoung to his room.

Jackson: Woah, look at the time! It's past midnight already!

Jungyeon: Merry Christmas everyone!

Chaeyoung the music while Dahyun switched on the Christmas lights. Everyone gathered on the terrace and witnessed how the lively the neighborhood is at this time of the night. It's the first time everyone gathered in one place. Usually, JB and Nayeon would celebrate on the their grandparents' house in Gwangju, while Jinyoung and the others spend Christmas in the White house.

Everyone looked at their phones and greeted their parents, well, except for Tzuyu.

Mark: Hey, you okay?

Tzuyu: Mom hasn't called yet. Well, what do I expect? She never calls me.

Suddenly, Tzuyu's phone rang which caused everyone to look at her direction. Tzuyu was surprised too. The caller ID showed "Mom".

Mark: (Smiles) It's never too late for it, right? Go on, answer it.

Tzuyu bit her lower lip, and excused herself before answering the call.

A couple of hours passed and everyone is tired and sleepy already. The blue house residents decided to go home, while Jungyeon started cleaning up. Chaeyoung and Dahyun fell asleep on the couch, so JB carried the latter. Tzuyu too, is tired already.

JB: Thanks guys. Take care of Jinyoung, okay?

Jackson: Alright. Merry Christmas to you all!

Mark: Merry Christmas, bro. (Hugs)

Nayeon: Goodnight, Jungie.

Jungyeon: Go and sleep already. You looked weary.

JB carried Dahyun to girls' room. Nayeon and Tzuyu followed shortly, the latter jumped immediately to her bed, fast asleep. JB then left and directly went to his room. He's dead tired from searching Jinyoung.


It's 4 o'clock and Nayeon still can't sleep. She isn't sure why her mind is full of whys and whats. Like why is Jinyoung acting so strange. And what is Mark literally implying about their relationship. She can't take it anymore so she went out of the room, and to her surprise, she found Mark's silhouette on the open terrace. The latter noticed the sound of the door, even when Nayeon is already careful enough not to make her presence be noticed. As Mark glanced on her, she felt the winter wind blows towards her spine.

Mark: Can't sleep?

Nayeon: ... Yeah.

Mark: Me too.

Nayeon: Umm.. Okay.. Good night.

Mark: Hey, wait.

Mark walked closer to her. Nayeon now felt like her heart is going to explode any minute now.

Mark: Is there something wrong? Did I do anything? Are you.. mad at me?

Nayeon: No.

Mark: The truth is.. I.. I wanted to clarify.. things..

Nayeon: What things?

Mark: I think we haven't talked about - Us... The two of us. What I mean is --

Nayeon: Oh, that? You know.. I've been thinking about it and... I somehow understood now if you just wanted it the way it is. I mean.. I think I have these expectations or fantasies of what relationships are but I don't think I could go with it.. If it's what you wanted from me then I'm --

Mark: What makes you think I just want hook-ups and flings?

Nayeon: (Confused) I.. I never said that.

Mark: But that's what you're referring to.

Nayeon: Cause I don't know what this is going on between us! I don't even know if I have the right to feel these things 'cause I don't know if you will allow me to. You should know that it's the first time I felt these intense emotions for someone.. and I'm.. scared that it's just nothing to you.

Mark: Look, if I ever made you think of me that way, I'm sorry. I've never been to commitments too. It's.. It's kind of lame if I tell you I haven't liked anyone or confessed to anyone, but it's true. You know, the first day we met, the first time I laid my eyes on you, I felt some strange feelings...

Nayeon became speechless at how vocal Mark is now.

Mark: And then I realized that since the moment you came to my mind... you never left. Nayeon-ssi... It's a first for me too. And I'm so happy that I feel these all because of you. (Smiles) Coming to Korea and meeting you was the best part of my life. If destiny permitted us to meet, and if you feel the same way as I do, will you allow me to love you?

Nayeon: You're talkative lately, Tuan.

Mark: I may have known you for a short time, but if it's love that I'm feeling right now, I want it share it with you. I like you. I like you so much that I'm dying of embarassment right now. (Chuckles)

Nayeon just laughed. She has waited for this moment to happen but she didn't realize that if it happens, she no longer knows what to do. She just bursted out into a small laugh.

Mark: Ya, why are you just laughing? You're embarrassing me more.

She looked at Mark and while the latter is waiting for her answer, she leaned closer to him and gave him a peck on his lips. Mark was startled. Nayeon then tried to turn away from him, ashamed of her actions, but Mark pulled her closer and gently placed his lips on hers. It was both their first kiss, and beyond words, Nayeon already gave him the answer.

 

 

 

PS: Sorry for the super late update. Medschool drains the hell out of me. 😔 Have fun reading! The story will be longer than expected though. Sorry for keeping you all waiting. 😔