Chapter 4: The Secrets

REPLAY 2010

 

Another school week started, and Calculus as the first subject in Class 2B hasn't been helpful in boosting the students' morning energy. Almost half of the class are certainly asleep. Half on the other hand are having their thoughts flown away.

 

MINA'S POV
I don't get it. How can he never mentioned anything to me? Friends, huh? Is it funny watching me get closer to him not knowing his real intentions?

Sana: Minari..

Mina: Oh?

Sana: Are you okay?

That's when I realized I kept on shading something from my textbook, and I guess the page has torn a little cause of my deep shading.

Mina: Yes, I'm okay.

Sana: Bored too, eh?

Mina: Who wouldn't?

I'm not really into Math. I mean... who isn't? I bet 99.9% of students hate it.. Except for one... I turned my gaze to the new student, Mark. He is writing down notes on his notebook. Am not sure if he's really into the discussion or is he just faking it. I'm getting curious of him day by day...

After 2 periods, Momo decided to eat lunch inside the room. Well, that's a first. We usually don't eat lunch indoors, we prefer going to the cafeteria. This time, she said she's saving up so she'll start on packing her lunch. I don't have one so Sana accompanied me to buy in the school cafeteria.

Sana: Hmm... What will you take?

Minari: I don't know. You?

Sana: This is quite hard without Momo. She's always the one who gets to decide what meal we should eat.

Mina: I'll just get a sandwich.

Sana: Eh? For lunch? Are you sure?

Mina: I'm really not that hungry today.

Sana: Alright, I'll have a pasta.

We went back to our room only to find Momo chatting with some of our classmates. Well, we haven't been close to others since there's always just the 3 of us everyday. We go to school together, eat lunch together, go home together. It's not that we hate socializing. To Sana, it's more of she's shy to mingle with others. Momo is always the happy-go-lucky, and among the 3 of us, she's the one who others can easily talk to. I'm more of... Errr... The distant one? I don't know. Others say I look cold and scary sometimes. I heard others say I look down on them and that I hate talking to them. I don't know. I don't even care what they think. It's basically not a big deal for me when people not close to me talk bad about me. What hurts is when people close to you took advantage of you and your feelings.

Momo: Oh! Sana-chan! Minari!

Jungyeon: Momo-ssi. Are you eating your lunch here?

Momo: Yes. I packed mine.

Jihyo: Oh, that's great! We can eat together!

Momo: Really? Can we join you?

Youngjae: Of course!

Momo: Come on, girls!

Sana: Oh! Alright..

 

SANA'S POV

It's my first time to eat together with other classmates. I mean, I might be the student council secretary, but I'm not really good in interacting with people. Momo, Mina and I are having our lunch now with Jungyeon, Jihyo, Nayeon, Youngjae and Mark. Even Mark, who's new, is eating happily. It's a bit awkward, 'cause none of us are talking at first.

Youngjae: Oh, Mark-hyung also has a packed lunch now?

Nayeon: Yep. He stays with us, so he's basically a part of the food budget already.

Mark: I cooked the rice. (Grins)

Jungyeon: Oh, look at him, so proud of himself, hahaha!

Jihyo: Mina-ssi, why are you only eating sandwich?

Momo: Minari is always like that. She rarely eats alot.

Then Mark offered some of his lunch to Mina. He seemed so nice. Mina bowed a little, she looked so shy.

Nayeon: Are you on a diet or something?

Sana: Aniyo. She's always like that. Haha.

Mark: Taste it. Delicious.

Nayeon: I cooked that!

Youngjae: Oh, Mark-hyung, are you joining the basketball team?

Mark: Basketball team?

Youngjae: Yeah. JB-hyung is the captain, and Jinyoung and Jackson-sunbaenim are also part of it. Will you join too? I actually signed up for it.

Sana: Jackson-oppa? You know him?

Youngjae: Ne. Ahh, Mark-hyung knows him more. They're childhood friends.

Sana: Oh, right. He's from LA too.

Nayeon: He lives with Jungyeon too.

Sana: Eh?

Jungyeon: (Surprised) A--Ani. Not living together like that. Jackson-oppa rents a room in our boarding house.

Sana: Ohhh, I see.

Momo: What's wrong, Sana-ya?

Sana: Huh? Nothing. (Blush)

Jihyo: Are you blushing? What is this, do you like him?

Sana: Huh? Aniyo. What are you talking about?

Momo: You definitely are blushing. Hahaha!

This is not good. Why am I such a blusher? The truth is... Not that I don't like Jackson-oppa. He's a good sunbaenim, he's very nice and is a gentleman. He helps me whenever he sees me carrying heavy stuffs. He accompanied me once when I was left cleaning the council room. He makes me smile, and laugh... and... He makes my heart race... whenever I see him. Do I... Do I like him?

 

MOMO'S POV

Sana definitely likes him. We met Jackson-sunbaenim last year when we did a special dance number for the Basketball Finals. For the first time, the school basketball team reached the finals, however, they weren't able to win the championship. It lightened up the school's image, and since then, the basketball team has been popular throughout the district. Jackson is a part of the team, as well as JB-sunbaenim and Jinyoung-sunbaenim. I was with Sana that day at the backstage when Jackson-sunbaenim suddenly entered while both of us were rehearsing. He looked so tired and sleepy that he suddenly collapsed on the floor. I rushed outside for help and I left Sana to attend to him. And the rest kids... is history.

Mark: Momo-ssi..

Momo: Yes?

Mark: When is... the application for... dance club?

Momo: This weekend. Why? You're planning to --

Mark: Ohh, I'm not sure yet...

Youngjae: Wow, looks like Mark-hyung is interested in many clubs.

Mark smiled silently, and I realized that Mina is looking at him attentively. After class, Sana hurriedly went to the school council room cause of an urgent meeting. Mina and I were left on the dance room.

Momo: Hey, you okay? You look so quiet lately.

Mina: Is that so?

Momo: Did something happened? You can tell me, you know? We're not just friends, we're also cousins after all.

Mina: Nothing. Don't mind me.

Momo: Okay...

Unlike the cheerful Sana, Mina is such a cold person. She never talks about how and what she feels, and what's worse is that I can't tell if she's sad or not. We're together everyday but she feels so distant. Aside from Sana, there's only one person who understands her - Kang Younghyun, aka Brian. And speaking of the devil...

Brian: Momo-ssi, is Mina with you?

Momo: She's in the shower. She'll probably be finished in a while. (While fixing things) Is... Is something wrong, Brian?

Brian: Oh. Nothing.

Momo: Both of you answer the same thing. So I guess "Nothing" is the biggest issue around.

Brian: Well... Sorry for that. It's just that...

Mina: What is he doing here? (Starts avoiding Brian)

Momo: Okay, here she is... I'll give you time to... Well... See you outside.

I immediately took an exit from World War III. Well, Mina is scary as hell when she's angry and she looks pissed just by seeing Brian. She's unpredictable but anyone can tell when she's gonna burst. I decided to wait outside but I cannot mishear them arguing.

Brian: Mina (Stands). Hey. Just please, hear me out.

Mina: I told you we have nothing to talk about.

Brian: Look, this is a big misunderstanding. I wanted to clear this up with you but you keep on avoiding me.

Mina: I trusted you! I almost told you everything. You know how upset I am with my family and then this happened? Are you happy watching me being dragged into something as stupid as fixed marriage?!

Fixed -- Fixed marriage?! Mina and Brian's parents... Urgh, that's it! That's why Mina refused to contact or even talk to Brian lately. Arranged marriage? Is this the 60s? I don't know people still do these things.

Brian: Mina I --- Okay. There's nothing I can say that will comfort you. I'm not trying to save myself here. You know how I hate the idea too... (Pause) But if there's something I'm happy about this... Is that it's you.

Mina looked at Brian in confusion. Wait... Wait... Is he confessing his feelings now?

Brian: I know I won't ever understand what you feel right now. But I never betrayed you. (Pause) I will talk about this with my parents, and I will tell them I'm seeing somebody. If... If that can ease the situation I'll.. I'll take the blame.

Mina: Are you... Are you saying you... you... you like me?

Brian: Who cares? (Fake smile) You never wanted me the same way. 

Mina fell silent. She looked away, packed her things again.

Brian: If you want me to avoid you, just tell me. I just want to tell you that I have nothing to do with this set-up. If you don't believe me, it's fine.. If that'll make you feel better.

Mina: Just go.

Brian: Okay... I'll... Sorry, Mina. (Pause) Thanks for everything.

I saw Brian wiped his tears and walked away. I know he saw me by the door but he continued walking away. I felt guilty. I shouldn't have witnessed their argument. But I saw Mina crying her tears out so I rushed towards her. She might be my cousin, she might be not that close to me as she is to Sana and Brian, she might not tell me her heartbreaks and problems... But I know at that moment that she needs me. She needs a friend. For the first time in my life, I saw Mina cry this hard.

 


CHAEYOUNG'S POV
I packed my bag, held my camera and stormed away from the room as soon as the class ended. I was about to wait for Dahyun but she's so slow so I told her beforehand that I'll be heading to the school gym first. I ran faster, today is Yugyeom's first basketball practice with the team! I can't wait to see him and ---

Brian: Hey, hey, are you okay?

Before I realize, my is on the ground now and all I see is my camera... crushed on the floor, landed the same way I did.

Chaeyoung: No... No... (picks up her camera) No, my baby...

Brian: I'm... I'm sorry... I didn't...

Chaeyoung: Are you not looking or what?

I glanced at the person who bumped to me and realized his eyes are as wet as mine. Is he.. Is he crying?

Brian: I... I... I'm sorry... I'll pay for it... No, I'll buy you another ---

Chaeyoung: Ahh, aniyo. Sorry for yelling, sunbaenim. It's just a camera.

Brian: (Wipes his eyes) No, it wasn't. I will compensate... It's my fault, I wasn't looking.

Did he really cry because of that? Wait, he said he wasn't looking. Maybe he cried before we bumped to each other. The hell I care! He broke my camera! But I can't get mad at a sunbae. And... Wait a second...

Chaeyoung: You're... You're Brian-sunbaenim, right?

Brian: Yes, how did you --

Chaeyoung: I listen to Day6, well I mean, my Unnie does, so I do, too.. And well, I know  JB-oppa and Nayeon-unnie too.

Well that was awkward. But he smiled and asked me if he can take a look at my camera.

Brian: I am really sorry. But I'll try to check if it still works..

He turned it on and it still worked! Thank God! Well, my baby is a bit injured on the surface but I'm still happy she works!

Brian: Are you going somewhere? You look like you're in a rush.

Oh, right! The practice game! When did I forget all about that?!

Chaeyoung: I better get going.. Sorry for yelling, I mean, thanks for the camera, not thanks but... (Stutters more then laughs) I should go.

He smiled again. I ran towards the gym and decided to go to the comfort room first before heading to the benches when I saw Kim Yugyeom, my Kim Yuggie, from afar. He looks like he's waiting for someone.

Yugyeom: Ya, you're still so slow. The game starts in a couple of minutes.

I froze when I saw her. Long wavy weird hair, thick spectacles..

Dahyun: I told you I have class till 5! (Hands him a shoe box)

Yugyeom: Thanks. Hey, are mom and dad really coming?

Dahyun: They said they're on their way. You go in first.

Yugyeom: Okay, see you after the game.

Then Yugyeom went inside. Dahyun is carefully checking if someone saw them... Why is she afraid that someone might see them? Why is she hiding their relationship? Why is Kim Dahyun my Yuggie's sister?!

 


JINYOUNG'S POV
After almost an hour, the practice game finally ended. I took off my wet shirt and sat on one of the benches. The crowd is incredible today. I guess it's because of our new rookie, Kim Yugyeom. I admit, he's good. But he's too overrated. I don't see why he got alot of fans. I mean, he's not even greeting them. How arrogant.

JB: Hey. (Hands Jinyoung a bottle of gatorade) Great game. That Kim Yugyeom really has a talent, right?

Jinyoung: I guess. (Looks at Youngjae) Your new recruit is funny too.

JB: Ya! Youngjae is alright. He just needs guts. He can shoot, I tell you.

Jinyoung: Whatever. (Sees Chaeyoung) Oh, Chaeyoung's here?

JB: You forgot your cousin is Yugyeom's biggest fan. Haha!

Jinyoung: Dahyun too.

JB: Really? (Sees Dahyun then waves) Wow, seems like we're getting alot of support now, don't you think?

Jinyoung: I guess. (Searches over the upper benches, looking for another familiar face)

Aish. Don't fool yourself, Jinyoung. She's not interested in basketball or anything anyway. Why are you looking for her?

Youngjae: Oh! Nayeon-ah!

I immediately turned upon hearing her name, and saw her approaching us... Nayeon-ah... What are you doing here? My heart seems to beat faster than how it did during the game.

Nayeon: Annyeong! Oh, is it done already?

JB: Yep, what are you doing here? I thought you went home already?

Nayeon: I fell asleep at the library.

Jinyoung: You sleep anywhere. What's new?

Nayeon: Am I talking to you? (Faces JB) Right, Oppa, have you seen Mark? He's with me at the library but when I woke up he's gone.

Mark: Nayeon-ssi! (Appeared out of nowhere wearing a basketball jersey, all smiles)

Nayeon: (Shocked) Woah! Don't tell me you.. you joined the game?

JB: You didn't know Mark signed up?

Nayeon: He didn't tell me.

Mark: I did.

Nayeon: When?

Mark: At the library.

Nayeon: Eh?!

Mark: I told you I'll play and you said okay. I asked you to come with me but you said no.

Nayeon: Eh?!

JB: Nayeon sleeptalks, Mark.

Mark: Ahh...

We all laughed. Yeah, Nayeon sleeptalks alot. After changing and packing our stuffs, we went home together. The bus was full, so all of us are standing... again. Dahyun and Chaeyoung seemed to be usually quite. They're both not talking to each other. I think JB and Jackson must have fallen asleep while standing. I looked at Nayeon and she seems to be so tired. Mark is standing near her and he approached her when he realized that the bus is getting full and she's slightly squeezed against the pole.

Mark: Are you okay?

Nayeon: Yeah.

Mark: Let me carry these. (Took her bag) Why is your bag so hea ---

And with that, Nayeon fell asleep on his shoulder. This girl really... Why does she sleep anywhere? It makes me even more worried for her... All the time... And now he stares at her while she sleeps peacefully on his shoulders. While here I am.. all I do is look at them from afar. Nayeon-ah.. If I tell you how I feel, will you believe me? Will you feel the same way? Or... Am I too late now?

After half an hour, we arrived safely at the bus stop. Chaeyoung walked ahead of us. Is something wrong? It's the first time I've seen her like this. Mark carry Nayeon's bag while the latter walks like a zombie. I took my slippers out of my bag and gave it to her.

Jinyoung: Who told you to wear high heels? Tss.

Mark: Nayeon-ssi, wear it. I'll carry your shoes.

Nayeon wore my slippers. And I walk beside her this time. Mark is on her right, I'm on her left.

Jinyoung: Walk faster, can you?

Nayeon: You can go first. I'm really tired today.

Jackson, JB and Dahyun are walking ahead of us too. We were about to cross the street when I saw 2 familiar faces. Chaeyoung, Dahyun and JB and Jackson also stopped walking.

Jinyoung: Jaehyung?

JB: Jungyeon?

What is this? Why are they together. Jungyeon smiles happily, as well as Jae. Don't tell me...

Jackson: Ya, Jungyeon-ah!

Jungyeon: (Saw the group and was shocked) O--Oppa!

We all walked towards them.

Jaehyung: Annyeonghaseyo. (Bows)

Jungyeon: Ahh -- Jae-oppa just walked me home. He's going now. Right? (Looks at Jae)

Jaehyung: Ahh, yeah. I'm leaving now. Bye.

Jungyeon pushed Jae a liitle and we all saw Jae walking awkwardly away from us.

Nayeon: (Suddenly woke up) Everyone, let's go inside, I'm so sleepy. Come on! Come on!

Nayeon nudged Jungyeon again, and Jungyeon seemed to kick her slightly. I know something's up. Dahyun, Nayeon and Mark then went inside the blue house.

Chaeyoung: Seems like everyone has their own secrets revealed now.

And then Chaeyoung went inside the white gate, with Jackson following her. What does she mean? I gestured for Jungyeon to follow me when JB suddenly spoke.

JB: Jungyeon-ah... About last Saturday... You're about to tell me something important...

JB looks so serious now. It's only the three of us left outside this time. Jungyeon looked down...

JB: Is it about him?

Jungyeon now raised her head and looked at JB.

JB: Are you... Are you dating Jae now?

I was also taken aback on JB's words... Jungyeon looks like she's about to cry any minute now. You don't have to answer, Jungyeon-ah.. You don't have to say it. I can't standing seeing these two.

JB: Are you... together now?

Jinyoung: JB-yah. Let's stop this now.

Jungyeon: Yes.

Both JB and I are shocked upon hearing Jungyeon's answer.

Jungyeon: Jae-oppa and I are dating.