Chapter 15: The 'Date'

REPLAY 2010

February 2011

The love month came so fast without the kids noticing. Aside from the cold snow, stores are now decorated with red heart-shaped designs hanging by the windows and entrance doors. Flowers and chocolates have been sold double each day, and while every girl in the town is eager to buy their loved ones goods, Nayeon was struggling to make her own.

Nayeon: Aish! Why is it not working?!

Dahyun: Wae?! Is it burned again?

Nayeon: Yes, for the nth time! Aish! Mola! I'm not doing this anymore.

Jeongyeon: Hi guys --- Uh! What's that smell?! Are you guys burning the kitchen or what?!

Dahyun: Not me, unnie.

Jeongyeon: Nayeon?! I thought you said you're giving up?

Dahyun: That's what she said yesterday, and the day before that too.

Jeongyeon: You've wasted boxes of flours already! I told you to buy instead, didn't I?! Hassle-free!

Nayeon: I told you I'm not just buying something already made. I want to make it special.

Jeongyeon: Errr -- Really, Im Nayeon? Since when are you like this?

Nayeon: Ya, stop the teasing alright? Why don't you help me instead?

Jeongyeon: Can't. Oppa, Chaeng and I will be going to Gwangju later so Chaeng and I will be buying something for her grandma now. It's her birthday, remember?

Nayeon: Oh! Right! I haven't got her anything! I haven't seen her in years.

Jeongyeon: It's alright, she'll still like you. She can't bear traveling for long these days so we'll go see her instead. Ahh, right! The boys will be home in an hour so you better clean up before they suspect something, okay?

Nayeon: Okay, greet her for me, Jeongie! Tell her I'll come with you next time.

Jeongyeon: Arasso.

Dahyun: Unnie, can I come with you now?

Jeongyeon: Why, are you gonna buy something too?

Dahyun: Ahh, no. I just want to window shop.

Jeongyeon: Okay sure, Chaeng won't be bored then. Haha.

Tzuyu: Did I hear someone say 'shop'?!

Dahyun: It's 'window shopping', Tzuyu-ah.

Tzuyu: The windows are fine, what for?

The three just laughed at Tzuyu's innocence.

Nayeon: It's just a term, kiddo.

Jeongyeon: You wanna come?

Tzuyu: Oh, alright! I'll be buying something for Jackson-oppa too!

Jeongyeon: For a 17 year-old, you're truly aggressive.

Tzuyu: I'm not!

Dahyun: I told you he likes someone else already!

Tzuyu: That's not for him to decide, though. Come on!

Nayeon: Ya, you're leaving me now too?! How ungrateful, this kids!

Dahyun: We'll be back before you even perfect your recipe, unnie! (Bleh!)

Dahyun and Tzuyu hurriedly went out together with Jeongyeon and were greeted with the waiting Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung: What took you so long? Oh, you're both coming too, Tzuyu? Dahyun?

Dahyun: Ne and again Chaeyoung, call me unnie, arasso?

 

An hour later, the boys came back from their basketball practice. They gathered around the sofa as they randomly watch tv. Nayeon has already cleaned up the kitchen hoping no trace was left.

JB: Oh, where's Dahyunnie?

Nayeon: You just came back, Oppa. Do you want to see her that much?

JB: (Flustered) Ani! Just wondering. Did she go somewhere?

Nayeon: Dubu and Tzuyu went shopping with Chaeng and Jeongie.

JB: Ahh, then why didn't you go with them, then?

Nayeon: I just don't feel like going. (Sats beside Jinyoung)

Jinyoung was startled and looked at Mark. He obviously knows that something is going on between the two so he stood up with the lamest excuse.

Jinyoung: (Clear throat) I'm getting water, who wants some?

Jackson: Me! Me!

JB: Me too, Jinyoung.

Jinyoung: I'll get a pitcher then.

While filling up the pitcher, Jinyoung noticed the opened trash bin filled with flour boxes and chocolate syrups. He was about to take a closer look when Nayeon suddenly appeared.

Nayeon: What are you doing?

Jinyoung: I should be the one asking you that.

Jinyoung took the empty box and smiled.

Jinyoung: Are you perhaps... into baking?

Nayeon hurriedly took the box from his hand, threw it on the trash and closed the bin

Nayeon: None of your business.

She was about to go but Jinyoung held her hand.

Jinyoung: Nayeon-ah.. Are you free tomorrow?

 

The four girls are busy canvassing and looking for items that would fit their tastes. From chocolate shops, to gift shops, to pastries, the girls can't contain their excitement.

Chaeyoung: So unnie, what are you planning to buy?

Jeongyeon: I don't know actually, Jae-Oppa eats anything. How about you?

Chaeyoung: Na? Ani. I'm not buying anything. (Flustered) Ya, Tzuyu, have you seen Dahyun?

Tzuyu: She was just here -- no idea.

Chaeyoung: Stay with unnie, I'll look for her.

Tzuyu: Arasso.

Jeongyeon: Have you decided on anything, Tzuyu-ah?

Tzuyu: I'm thinking if I should buy him snapbacks or shirts. Or anything made of organic stuffs.

Jeongyeon: Eh? Then why are you here?

Tzuyu: I'm buying for myself. Do you like this unnie?

Jeongyeon: Huh? Ahh, I like the lollipop more.

Tzuyu: Okay. Miss, can I get like a dozen of these?

Jeongyeon: A dozen?! Ya! That costs 5 dollars each!

Tzuyu: I know.

Jeongyeon: (Sighs) It must be nice to be a rich kid even for a day.

Chaeyoung saw Dahyun busy choosing neck ties.

Chaeyoung: Ehem... And those are for?

Dahyun: (Shocked) You scared me!

Chaeyoung: So why are hiding from us?

Dahyun: I'm not hiding..

Chaeyoung: If you say so.. Oh! This one looks good!

Dahyun: Where?

Chaeyoung: This gray one, it'll fit JB-oppa.

Dahyun: (Blushed) It's not for Oppa..

Chaeyoung: If you say so..

Dahyun: Ya, Chaeyoung-ah... Am I obvious?

Chaeyoung: Ani.

Dahyun: (Relieved) Thank God.

Chaeyoung: You're not obvious 'cause you're VERY obvious!

Dahyun: Really?!

Chaeyoung: I'm kidding. Oppa likes gray and black, so I'm sure he'll love that.

Dahyun: Thanks! Yugyeom likes blue ---

Dahyun was not supposed to say that. She forgot that Chaeyoung is still on the verge of 'moving on'.

Dahyun: -- Just in case...

Chaeyoung: (Laughs) It's okay now, Kim Dahyun. It means nothing to me now. You don't have to act awkward about it.

After hours of shopping, the four now decided to go home. Dahyun put the necktie she bought on her bag so that no one will notice. Tzuyu bought a dozen of shirts and snapback, just for Jackson. She asked for it to be delivered since she doesn't want to carry all of it. Jeongyeon decided on buying a box of assorted chocolates while Chaeyoung settled for nothing.

 

The next day, it was 5:00 in the morning when Jinyoung patiently waited in front of the blue house. A minute later, Nayeon appeared, with slightly swollen eyes and pale face. Jinyoung texted her so early and even called her multiple times just to wake her up.

Nayeon: Does it really have to be this early?

Jinyoung: Of course! Do you want to come or not?

Nayeon: Even the sun is not yet awake, Park Jinyoung!

Jinyoung: Stop nagging and follow me, okay?

Nayeon barely opened her eyes but started on following Jinyoung. The latter gave up and carried her on his back instead. It felt warm, Nayeon thought, and she fell asleep again.

Jinyoung: Ya, Im Nayeon. We're here.

Nayeon: Huh?

She opened her eyes upon smelling the freshly baked bread from the oven. They are in Choi's Cafe, one of the most popular in their town.

Jinyoung: See? I'm not lying. They'll be opening in an hour, and today's the last day that they'll be entertaining those who want to learn baking.

Nayeon: Woah! (Smells) Even the smell itself makes me full already.

Jinyoung: Come on!

Both were greeted by a couple in their 60's and are happy to see that there are still people who want to learn baking.

Mr. Choi: It's a pleasure to know that some kids nowadays are still into these.

Mrs. Choi: This couple here knows what to do on their date.

Nayeon was flustered and wasn't able to react. Jinyoung politely corrected the old woman.

Jinyoung: Aniyo, we're just ---

Mrs. Choi: Oh, I'm sorry. Is the young lady not yet accepting you?

Jinyoung: Ani, I'm not -- She's not --- 

Mrs. Choi: I'm just kidding. Now follow me, my son will teach you.

They were being taught in the first round, and after a while, they were left to continue and to make some customized stuff. They were actually having fun and Jinyoung non-stopped creations. She responded by throwing flours on him. Nayeon and Jinyoung finally placed their bakings on the oven and rested while waiting for it.

Nayeon: Oppa..

Jinyoung: Hmm?

Nayeon: I haven't told you yet... But thank you..

Jinyoung: What for?

Nayeon: For this.. For today..

Jinyoung: Ahh.. I just can't stand wasted money for nothing. Do you know how many boxes of flours you've consumed? And besides, consider yourself lucky that they have it here.

Nayeon: Whatever.

Nayeon sat beside him and rested her head on his shoulder. He was taken aback. He thought of Mark. He thought of going to the US. He thought of the many things that hinder him from confessing to her. 

Jinyoung: Mark will like it. I'm sure he will.

He was expecting Nayeon to be shocked that he knew their thing. But she wasn't, she didn't even flinch a bit. He was the one surprised instead.

Nayeon: I know you knew.

Jinyoung: I know you too well, Nayeon-ah.

Nayeon: I know you too well too..

Jinyoung: You don't..

Nayeon: I do.. I hope you won't tell anyone about it.. You're the only one I allow to know, okay?

Jinyoung: What's the big deal, everyone will kno --

Nayeon: Promise me.

Jinyoung: Alright.

Nayeon: Jinjja? Cross it!

Nayeon raised her pinky and waited for Jinyoung to cross it.

Jinyoung: (Sighs and crosses their pinkies) I promise.

Nayeon: Since I've shared you a secret, you are supposed to tell me one too.

Jinyoung: Did we talk about that?

Nayeon: No, but it's like... that's just you know.. an unwritten rule.

Jinyoung: Who does that?

At that time, Nayeon wanted Jinyoung to open up to her about his plans to study abroad. But she doesn't want him to notice that she knew about it.

Jinyoung: I have no secrets though..

Nayeon: Tss. You're no fun. (Looks at her watch) February 13, Sunday, 7:06AM, remember this day, you owe me a secret.

Jinyoung: (Laughed) You're really in detail, you know.

Nayeon: You still owe me one. (Lay her head on his shoulders again) Wake me up when it's done.

A few minutes has passed, and the oven started to whine. He was about move and stand, but Nayeon tightened her grip on his arm.

Nayeon: (Eyes still closed) Please stay... Don't go... Stay with me.. Oppa..

And with no second thoughts, Jinyoung stayed... And wished for that moment to last.

 

 

 

------------------------

 

PS: I'm so so sorry for the super late update. It was almost half a year. :( I have no words cause it's been really so long, and I really had a hard time thinking how to develop the story more. I hope you enjoy it. Thank you for all the readers. Sorry again. :(