Distractions

Too Quiet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What?" His voice is low and a little scratchy, almost like he never uses it. Wonwoo stands completely still and I do not even dare to move. I feel like even the slightest movement, could possibly shatter and scare him away if I did so. My mouth is gaping open, at a loss for words. I'm not even sure what I want from him. Well I do know that I want him, but I'm not just gonna tell him that. So for now I want to get to know everything about him. His favorite color, food, choice of novel, his birthday, why he secludes himself from others, and what he thinks of me. I want to know what's going on in his mind.

"I want to get to know you." I say, sitting up a little straighter, confidently and without hesitation. The quiet one finally turns around and looks straight into my eyes. While he continues to look at me, I notice the confusion and surprise in his facial features. There is still something that is bothering me with this reaction though. Why is he confused, is the first thing. The second is why he is so hesitant into letting someone in. Maybe there is a deeper meaning to his whole being.

Wow, I sound so lame right now...but seriously he's acting like he's never had a friend before. I mean, come on.

I'm not sure how long we stay staring at each other, but what pulls us out of our trance is the shrieking sound of the school bell, signaling that lunch is now over. What impeccable timing you have today. I think inwardly to myself.

Wonwoo's the first one to break eye contact, as he frantically turns around to gather the rest of his stuff. I begin to panic, thinking I'll never have another chance to talk to him. Which is stupid to think, because we go to the same school, but I can already tell that this guy likes to stay completely off the radar.

All of a sudden, my arm is moving on it’s own accord and reaches out to grab Wonwoo’s blazer cuff. The expensive fabric slides in between my fingers for a split second before I tighten my hold completely. I feel a tug, as if I caught my prey and they’re desperate to leave. I then bring my eyes up to see what his reaction would be and to my surprise he looks like he’s about to bolt out of my presence.

 

What the hell Mingyu?! Let the poor guy leave, he obviously doesn’t want to be near you! My brain begins to harshly yell. Retracting my hand quickly, I hold my wrist to my chest with my other hand, afraid it would do something on it’s own again.

 

In a blink of an eye, Wonwoo is gone and in the corner of my downcast gaze, I can see him open the side door to the school and rush into the crowd, drifting along with the students.

 

Don't worry you'll see him again, so get over it. It's not the end of the world.

 

After giving myself a little pep talk, I let out a sigh and stand up from the ground, brushing the non existent dust off my pants and stretching my stiff limbs out a little in the process. Lifting my arms over my head, I let out a little groan. After I feel and hear a satisfying click, I drop my arms heavily back down to my sides and bend down to grab my backpack, which is still laying in the chilled grass.

 

●●●

 

My next class is gym, which is good because I actually enjoy the exercise, unlike most of my friends. It helps me clear my non stop thoughts and I find the physical activities to be relaxing. And plus, it's always nice to spend the hour hanging out with my friends. Kind of. Okay well, I mostly enjoy gym class, my friends, not so much.

 

Jun and DK mostly around doing god knows what, which usually leads to the both of them getting into some kind of trouble. Joshua tries to participate...sometimes...but it usually ends up with him falling down while trying to simply kick a ball or accidently throwing the baseball bat out of his hands while swinging. Vernon just watches Seungkwan the entire time, no matter what we’re doing that day.

 

Seungcheol is the only one, along with me, who likes gym class, but he’s more of a ‘hardcore’ type of person when it comes to any kind of sport or activity. Sooyoung mostly just tries to get Jihoon to participate in class and Jihoon pretty much refuses to do anything but rest his head on Sooyoung’s lap to take a nap, much to the youngers dismay. But when Jihoon spontaneously does decide to participate, he basically beats everyone's in any kind of game we decide to play that day.

 

●●●

 

As I am rounding the corner to the gym building, I hear what sounds like papers falling to the ground, coming from up ahead.

 

“-oh um. S-Sorry uh, I didn't mean to run i-in to you.” A shy ,timid, yet familiar voice begins to speak. I swear I've heard that voice before.  I shift my head around the corner of the building I'm up against, to get a better look of what's happening. My eyes widen a little, because what I'm currently seeing is a pretty confusing sight.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter