Mornings

Too Quiet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Opening my eyes and waking up to the grueling ring of my alarm is nothing new to me. It is my junior year of high school after all, you would think I'd be used to the annoying sound by now.

As I slide the screen of my phone to turn that god awful sound off, I let out a yawn and sit up. While yawning/stretching, my shirt begins to ride up my solid milky stomach. I adjust my eyes to the sun peaking through my gray curtains and pull my shirt back down. A few light knocks on my room door makes me jump a little.

"Honey, breakfast is ready downstairs!" my mom calls in a chirpy tone out from the hallway, just outside my door.

I sigh and look at the digital clock sitting on the desk across the room. 6:47. God how is this woman this energetic. I think to myself in disbelief-

"Mingyu are you up?" She calls out once more in a calmer tone.

With a raspy morning voice"Yes yes yes I'm up okay" I reply in a sluggish tone. "I'll be down in a minute." I hear my mom's slippers on the hardwood floor as she begins to move away. I yawn once more and flop back down on my queen size bed. As I lay there, I take in the sent of the freshly cleaned fabric of my soft gray duvet. Lightly closing my eyes, I slowly began to rela-

RING RING RING

"whAT TH- " I jump and fall off my bed with a loud thud. Landing heavily on my . "Uhhg" Laying on the cold hardwood floor I slowly begin to rub my aching backside.I then suddenly realize that I never "turned off my alarm" I snoozed the obnoxious thing. I slowly get up off the floor and make my way to my bedside table, where my phone still lays. Charging and braking my eardrums, with the shrill sound that it is producing. Sliding the device's screen to the correct side this time, I let out a soft sigh. "Today might just be a little more different than usual." I say through gritted teeth. Little did I know that this morning would change my life forever.

●●●

After I finally get dressed I look in the mirror and observe myself. My skinny jeans hug in just the right places and my white button up contrasts nicely with my freshly dyed un-styled hair. I then grab my school tie and blazer off my dresser and head to my bathroom that's down the hall.

As I step out of my room for the first time this morning, the smell of freshly brewed coffee consumes all my senses. To be honest with you, smelling the jet black liquid as I step out of my room is one of my favorite things about getting up in the morning. Of course I still dread getting up and having to actually extract myself from my cocoon of warmth, which is just myself rolled tightly into my duvet. But just knowing that a warm cup will be waiting to be poured for me when I get down there, is just one of those things that I have come to love.

When I begin to reach the bathroom I notice the door is shut. Which is strange because I'm the only one who uses this bathroom. In fact everyone else in the house has their own bathroom. My parents share one and my younger sister has her own that's connected to her bedroom. Plus there is a guest bathroom downstairs. So why is my bathroom door shut?!

As I finally step in front of the door I hear music blaring and the sound of water running from inside. "What the hell?" I whisper to myself. Using my free hand I bang on the door and yell,"Who's in my bathroom!" and wait for a response.

"It's just me, chill Mingyu!" I hear my younger sister, Minseo, call out.

Is she serious right now? Not only is her bathroom connected to her bedroom, but it is also more spacious than mine. The next thing running through my mind is why my 15 year old sister would even want to step

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter