The New Kid?

Too Quiet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Growing up, I have always known that I was 'smart'. Not in the, I definatly need to study for this and I might get an 'A', way. But in the, I just need to kind of pay attention in class and I'll definitely get and 'A'. Some people are born with amazing talents such as music, art, writing, and even sports. Me, I have the talent of 'education', I guess you can put it that way.

I have never gotten anything lower than a 'B-' in a class, which my parents praise me on. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my little 'gift', but I just don't see the real point. Yeah, this can get me into college and I could probably get a pretty nice job. But I envy the people that have the more outgoing talents, like being able to play the piano, creating beautiful pictures with just a pencil, or making a whole stadium scream by hitting a home-run. I only have another year left to figure out what I want to do with my life and I'm kind of freaking out on the inside. Not that anyone can tell, because I'm so outgoing and charismatic on the outside.

●●●

These are the thoughts that run through my mind as I sit through a boring physics video, that I'm pretty sure we've seen. My seat in class is the row furthest from the doors, up against the windows and I'm the second chair. The sunlight makes a glare on the projector screen from where i'm sitting so it's not like I could really see the video in the first place. I look around the classroom to see if anyone else is just as bored as I am. The girl to the right of me is filing her nails, the girl behind me is rapidly taking notes on the video. The guy in front of me, I think his name was Minghao, is reading some manga. I sit back in my chair with a huff, wishing that I had at least one class with my friends this year.

It has been like this since freshmen year. I'm cursed with never having classes with my friends. Well other than P.E., but that doesn't count. Of course I wouldn't have any with Seungcheol, Soonyoung, Joshua, Jihoon, or Jun. They are all a grade above me, so they're Seniors this year. As for Vernon, DK, and I we're all Juniors.

I jump when someone suddenly taps my shoulder from behind. I whip my head around to see the girl who was rapidly taking notes from before. She then gestures behind her and I see Seungkwan who is motioning for me to lower my head. This happens all the time and I still don't know why they haven't seated me in the back of the classroom yet. Before I can turn around he gestures for me to wait. I watch as he digs in his bag and pulls out a neatly folded piece of paper. Handing it to me he begins to whisper. "Can you give this to Vernon please, I think he left this on my desk on accident."

I take the paper and let out a an unattractive snort. Those two are idiots. I think to myself as I turn back around. Vernon has had a crush on Seungkwan, ever since the Jeju boy moved here, which was sometime last year. Now Vernon is not a very talkative person. But you see, Vernon likes to talk about him, like all the time. "Guys did you know Seungkwan plays volleyball?", "Oh my god, have you guys heard Seungkwan sing?", "Do you think he'll notice me if I join the school choir?" I could go on forever.

As I place the note into my bag, the bell for second period rings. I get up from my desk and swing my backpack onto my shoulders. As I'm walking out the class I hear someone call my name.

"Mingyu, wait up!" The girl calls out again. I stop walking and turn around, the girl walking up to me is Jihye, one of the popular girls, you could say. She may be popular, but she is actually a terrible person. Last year she made the kid from earlier, Minghao, cry.

●●●

Minghao moved here from China during spring break. So he was probably a little nervous since school's already started and everyone already has their friend groups sorted out. Anyways, while Minghao was in front of the class, trying to introduce himself the best he could, with the little Korean he knew at the time, Jihye was mocking him. Not just whispering what she had to say to her friends, oh no, she was full out vocalizing her rudeness. When he finally finished his introduction, the teacher asked the class if they had any questions for Minghao. And of course Jihye was the only one who raised her hand. She asked, "So did your mom pack you dog or cat for lunch?", in the most offensive Mandarin I have ever heard.

●●●

"Okay, so I know this is pretty short notice, but like would you maybe want to come with me to this banquet thing my parents are throwing?" She says quickly "It's tomorrow night at seven." Finishing while looking down and wringing out her hands. Why is she so nervous?

As I'm watching her become a nervous wreck, I don't even think twice before answering. "No thanks, now if you'll excuse me," I say while walking around her to get through the door. "I have to get to my Calculus class and you know Mrs. Lee, she really hates when people are late.", "And you know, since I'm a Junior in a Senior class, I don't want a bad rep with the teacher." I hastily fin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter