Learning to let go

Life With Seventeen

It was roughly about two years ago when this  entire catastrophe started. Jihoon had noticed some changes in Seungcheol. He was definitely acting different, speaking different and...... basically was just a different person altogether. Gone was the person who actually paid attention to his other friends, instead of just staring at his phone for hours on end, giggling away. And the person who actually paid attention in class instead of just blantantly copying his classmates' homework to avoid getting scolded. And the person who actually cared about his life and his future.

 

In Jihoon's eyes, Seungcheol was a goner after meeting Tiffany, about 2 years ago. He met met her threw some gaming website and the two of them clicked instantly, and formed a friendship. And about three months later, Jihoon noticed that Seungcheol started paying attention to him less and would instead call or text Tiffany all the time. Jihoon especially treasured his time in school, because it was the only time he would get Seungcheol all to himself. And yet, at almost all the time at school, their conversation topics were fairly limited to everything about Tiffany. What she did, what she bought, where she went. Or even worse, what the both of them did. Together.

 

Of course Jihoon could not sit there and watch idly as Seungcheol wasted his life away on this girl. If anything, the number one thing he was most worried about was definitely Seungcheol's studies. Everyone could see that his studies were sharply deteriotating, except Seungcheol himself. Jihoon suspected that it was because the two of them had started dating, which he already thought was about 85% correct seeing how Seungcheol's prirorites clearly shifted from his studies and friends, to his girlfriend.

 

So the only way Jihoon thought was to grab Seungcheol out of his delusion was to nag at him and face him with the cold hard truth. He incessantly nagged at Seungcheol all the time, going on and on about how he should put his studies first and he should stop spending so much time on Tiffany.

 

Soon enough, Jihoon's little plan backfired horribly and he noticed that Seungcheol was not coming to school to avoid him and his chiding. He skipped at least 2 days in a week, or maybe only 1 if Jihoon was lucky. Jihoon did not want to resort to this too, he constantly blamed himself for making Seungcheol avoid him, but he really could not think of a possibly better way to force Seungcheol out from his world of lies. 

 

He really just wanted to leave Seungcheol alone and just give up on him altogether, but as soon as he thought about what would happen, he realised he could not. Call him stupid for getting himself involved, but he really saw the change in Seungcheol and wanted to help him. Even until he saw what happened on a particular stormy day.

 

Firstly, he had asked Seungcheol to grab lunch together as he had not seen the latter for a long amount of time. However, his impromtu request got turned down by his friend claiming that Jihoon never "booked him first" and that his other excuses implying that he absolutely could not spend about one hour away from Tiffany. The thing was, the both of them used to go for lunches almost every day after school, to grab burgers or something. Now even a simple ice cone on the way back to both their houses was impossible.

 

Leaving a fustrated and irritated Jihoon walking back home alone on an empty stomach was already enough for Jihoon himself to spoil his day, but when he went home and decided to do his homework and realised that he had forgotten to bring back his most important piece, he almost snapped. Slamming his hands against the table, he checked his wrist watch and saw that he could still make it in time before the school closed for the day. Grabbing his jacket, he dashed out of the house only to find that a storm was underway. Turning back almost immediately, he grabbed the first umbrella he could find, cursing to himself as to why it had to be hot pink. 

 

Dashing through the streets to his school had never been so dangerous. He almost slipped five times in th e first ten minutes and actually fell down twice. After five more minutes, he saw his school front gate still opened, dashed into the school and heaved a sigh of relief, finally getting the chance to escape from the monstrous rain. He speed walked to his locker, wanting to get his homework quickly so he could go home and get it done quickly. 

 

As he turned around the corner to where his locker was, the sight in front of him made him halt in his tracks. Seungcheol had Tiffany (he recognised her from the endless pictures Seungcheol showed him) pinned up against the wall next to his block of lockers and they were kissing really intensely. Jihoon did not even know how the hell Seungcheol smuggled her in in the first place.  Seungcheol even had his hands up Tiffany's shirt and they were roaming around and groping her. Jihoon felt nothing but disgusted and somewhat at that sight. This was not the Seungcheol he knew, and it was never the Seungcheol he knew.

 

The couple was kissing so intensely and was so engrossed in the kiss that they did not notice Jihoon walk by. Jihoon opened his locker,and found the homework and materials he needed. He slammed the locker door closed so loudly that the couple finally noticed that there was a presence. Tiffany's lips were red and swollen, and he could see that her lipstick had smeared all over Seungcheol's lips as well. Without warning,however,  Jihoon's eyes started filling with tears and a lone one had dropped down his face. He hurriedly wiped that fallen tear as he stared at Seungcheol, eyes gleaming with hatred and dissappointment, as he ran towards the exit, brushing off Seungcheol calling for him to wait so that he could explain.

 

Seungcheol, on the other hand, was shocked as well. From his years of friendship with Jihoon, he knew that he strong-willed friend was never one to cry. Seeing his tears, he knew that something was definitely wrong and decided to confront him tomorrow. Because, what could he do now? Chase his friend home, hoping that he would actually stop and tell him what was wrong? Not with Tiffany here. Deciding that he could not do anything at the moment, he shook his head and grabbed Tiffany's hand pushing her against the wall, continuing their hot makeout session, since it seemed like the school was finally empty. Well, Jihoon was an exception anyway.

 

Back at Jihoon's house however, his current state was no where near being as calm as Seungcheol. He flopped down on his bed, face into his sheets, bawling in his eyes out. The best thing was that, Jihoon had absolutely no idea why he was crying. He knew that it had something to do with Seungcheol, but he could not pin point exactly what was it. After all, he had no reason to cry. Whatever Seungcheol wanted to do with his life and nothing to do with him at all, wasn't it? Whether his friend wanted a future or not, or whether he decided that school was no longer important, it had absolutely nothing to do with him, right? Then why was Jihoon still feeling so salty and somewhat.... angry? 

 

Jihoon had these thoughts in his head as he did his homework. And after a bout of thinking about it and still staying on that one question on his Math worksheet, he had the answer. It was because Seungcheol had been brutally taken away by Tiffany. And because Seungcheol chose it himself, Jihoon felt more agitated. He once had Seungcheol all by himself, and they could go for inpromtu lunches whenever they liked, played games over at each other's house freely, and not to mention that ice cream cone after school which used to be aplenty. But now, what did Jihoon have? A lazy bum, someone who had a "booking system", and someone forgot about caring for his future? As he came to light with the truth, Jihoon could not help but feel more devestated.

 

What about Seungcheol? He had finally ended that hot makeout session with Tiffany when the security caught them and sent them home. As he sank down on his bed and was about to text Tiffany, the image of his friend's tears popped up in his head. He slowly put his phone down on his bedside table, crossed his arms and started to think. Why would Jihoon cry when he saw their makeout session? It wasn't like he did not know that the both of them were together, right? Maybe because he was jealous? Yeah, that seems right. Jealous. Seungcheol gasped his disbelief as the things he thought to be right were slowly piecing themselves together in his head. 

 

It seemed to Seungcheol that Jihoon was jealous that he even had a girlfriend in the first place. Jihoon was always shy around girls ever since he was young. So it seemed normal for him to be jealous. Seungcheol also figured that his jealously intensified even more as he kept showing pictures of Tiffany to Jihoon emphasising that he had a girlfriend, and a pretty one at that. Which led to him crying when he saw the couple lip-locking. In Seungcheol's mind, it all made sense. Anger and disbelief filled him and on impulse, he decided to end the friendship right there and then. He simply could not believe that his friend of forever would do such a thing to him. Yes, feelings cannot be stopped, but still? And it was a pity that even till this point, Seungcheol just had no idea about what was it that all went wrong in the first place. ( A/N :These are all Seungcheol's thoughts, and they are wrong btw. Just writing this in case anyone gets confused ~)

 

Almost immediately after clearing this thoughts up, Seungcheol texted Jihoon to meet him in the park in about half and hour, at six. He felt disgusted at having a friend like that. Yes, they go a long way back, but Seungcheol was simply to blind to realise that. In his eyes, he only had Tiffany, Tiffany and more Tiffany.

 

Jihoon grabbed his phone in a daze when he heard his message tone ring. His hand slowly reached for the device and he unlocked it within seconds, surprised to see that Seungcheol had actually bothered to text him. Upon seeing the message, he got ready and went out of the house to meet Seungcheol. 

 

Thirty minutes later, both of them appeared at the park. Seungcheol with a grim face, and Jihoon with a curious one. Seungcheol saw that neither of them were saying anything so Seungcheol spoke first.

 

"You are jealous of Tiff and me, aren't you?" Seungcheol spoke first.

 

"No! I'm not! Why would I be?" Jihoon retorted, partially disgusted at how Seungcheol even arrived at such a conclusion.

 

"Then why did you cry when you saw us? The only answer I could think of was that you were jealous. So stop denying it !" Seungcheol retorted back, his tone getting a little harsh. He simply could not believe that his friend would still deny it.

 

Jihoon went speechless at that. He had his reasons, but he could not bring himself to say them. But after a second or so, he figured that his pride was nothing next to his friendship.

 

"It was because, at that moment, I realised that you were finally gone, you ba*tard". Jihoon glared at him harshly as he said it, eyes glilstening with tears

 

Although Seungcheol was thrown off because of his harsh tone, he still did not believe it. He was way too wrapped up in his jealously idea and wanted to protect Tiffany at all costs.

 

"Stop lying, you ba*tard. You obviously have feelings for Tiffany while knowing that  I'm with her. You are such a disgusting person, you know that? How the did I even pick up such a friend?" Seungcheol told him harshly.

 

With that, Seungcheol just turned around at walked back to his house, an expression of disgust and contempt etched on his face for his ex-friend.

 

Hearing that, a single tear dropped down Jihoon's face, and many more following it after. Jihoon knew, he was crying for the loss of a true friend he once had and how that friend's future was ruined. He was also crying at the prospect of how he could not do enough to pull Seungcheol out from his world of lies and finally how he had to learn how to let go.

------------------------

Hi guys! lollllli is back again :) firstly, i would like to apologise for being gone for so long, life as a secondary four definitelt isn't easy at all :( bad news is that.... future updates will probably take this long but good news is, ill try my best to update asap :))

Also sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes here i could not edit this on my comp as the internet is down in my room so i apologise for any mistakes :( So so sorry!!

on another note, this is my first time writing full angst, so please pardon if anything feels wrong or is wrong. I will definitely try this genre out again so... please don't be too harsh on this HAHA im kiddin lol be as harsh as you want and free feel to comment if you feel that something is wrong !!

Other than that, enjoy the chapter :)

-lollllli