The Only Thing I Need

Life With Seventeen

“See you guys in the next video!”, Soonyoung and Jihoon both waved at the camera situated in the centre of the room. Reaching out to stop the recording, both of them slumped down on the cool practice room floor, their chest heaving up and down rhythmically. Soonyoung and Jihoon were dance Youtubers, with Soonyoung creating the choreography, and Jihoon producing the songs to dance to, under the name “soonhoon”.

 

They had decided to start their channel just about a mere six months ago, but it was obvious that they were gaining popularity rather quickly, as their subscriber count steadily increased by around a hundred every week. People left comments about how incredibly sleek Soonyoung was or how about amazingly talented Jihoon was with his original songs and lyrics, but the most number of comments were always about people asking if they were dating due to a lot of suggestive dancing they had in their videos. And the truth was, yes, they were a couple who had happily got together two years ago.

 

Soonyoung and Jihoon had originally met in university as business majors who connected over their love for music- one in the form of movement and one in the form of composing. Amidst the hectic mess of trying to keep up with their studies, they found out that luck had been on their sides as they were also dormitory roommates who shared a few classes together. With both of the boys coming from the countryside expecting to find close to no friends in this huge, huge university that was unheard of there, they were extremely amused but grateful for how their friendship turned out to be.

 

Soon, one year turned into two and two years turned into three. In their third year of university, they finally acknowledged their feelings for each other after sitting on it for a year and a half, and it was then when their friendship blossomed into the something more, which was the precious relationship that they had crafted out today. Both of them got out of university and started to live together, with Soonyoung taking on being a dance instructor, and Jihoon working as a freelance composer as jobs. They were getting on just fine, and rather happily until one student in Soonyoung’s class actually suggested for them to start a Youtube channel. At first, her idea was to let Soonyoung do cover dances, but they quickly realised how they could utilise Jihoon’s talent in composing to help grow their channel.

 

Their channel was successful, and they were earning money from it, but there were a few disadvantages to it too. Suddenly there were new songs that had to be made, new dances to be choreographed, and one filming to do weekly, on top of their regular day jobs. They liked their new life though, it was exciting, it was challenging, and on top of it all, they liked making people happy.

 

Usually, this weekly schedule was somewhat adhered too, but this week Soonyoung had a tad feeling that it just was not possible. Jihoon had clung to his body in bed this morning, and he could feel the immense body heat of his boyfriend just radiating and screaming that he had a fever. A quick hand on his forehead and the fact that he could see his boyfriend practically shivering answered that for him.

 

“Ji, babe, wake up, you’re running a fever. I’ll bring a cooling pad and make some soup, okay?” he whispered to the boy on the bed, lightly shaking him awake. All he got was a faint nod in return as he snuggled under the blankets even further. 

 

Hurriedly going into the kitchen, he got the cooling pad from the fridge, and some tablets, as well as water before bringing them back to Jihoon. He had to rummage through the blankets on the bed to find him and practically fed him the tablets, then going back to the kitchen to make some hot soup. That took a whole hour before Jihoon was finally willing to peel his eyes open to eat, which was already lunch by that time. After lunch, the couple played some video games of sorts to make Jihoon feel better until Soonyoung had to leave to go to work. 

 

“I left some porridge in the pot for your dinner. Don’t go to the studio today and just rest, alright? I’ll be back at the usual time so don’t wait up and just eat dinner first” Soonyoung told Jihoon at the doorway, and leaving one last peck on his lips, he left to go to work.  

 

Wandering around in the now empty house, Jihoon really was not planning on going to the studio today, until he happened to check his work email. Immediately after he had logged in after getting a notification from his phone, was an email marked “URGENT” in red. He clicked it and sighed in disbelief and frustration. He had been tasked to compose a song for an advertisement that was due to release in two weeks. However, the client had demanded that the draft of the song was to be handed in earlier on Friday, instead of the promised next Monday. It was already Wednesday, and he had only finished about half of the song.

 

Deciding that he had no choice but to go to the studio, he grabbed his coat and left the house with his wallet and phone, completely forgetting his dinner in his haste. As much as he enjoyed being a producer, sometimes he really hated the clients that came with it. But he had no choice, and he knew it. For a young couple like Soonyoung and Jihoon to both sustain themselves in a country with such a high standard of living, this was him playing his part so that both of them could live comfortably. As soon as he entered the studio, he started work immediately, pushing past how he physically felt. One hour turned into two, and two turned into many more hours.

 

Soonyoung had reached home a bit passed dinnertime, and was expecting to see his boyfriend resting. However, he had sensed an emptiness the minute he walked into the house, and he calls for Jihoon was met back with echos. He wondered just where his boyfriend was until he saw the bright screen of their desktop computer lit up. Walking over to it, he swiftly glanced over the email and sighed. If he was rushing for a client, he had to be at the studio. Sighing as he saw that Jihoon had also forgotten to bring or eat his dinner, he packed it up in a plastic lunchbox and prepared to bring it to his boyfriend.

 

Brisk-walking there, all he could really think about was how hard it was on Jihoon today, having to work even when he was sick. He had at least hoped that his boyfriend knew when to stop before he overworked, and Soonyoung did not even want to think about the consequences for that.

 

Upon reaching his studio, the sight that welcomed him was Jihoon wrapped up in a thick blanket with headphones over his head and staring intently at the bright screen illuminating the small room. He sighed, having a rough gauge of just how many hours he already had been in there. Soonyoung decided that he had to get him out.

 

Hearing the door handle creak open, Jihoon spun around slightly in his chair to come face to face with his boyfriend. Adjusting the headphones to cover only one ear and lowering the volume, he gave Soonyoung a curt nod, lightly waving to him.

 

“Hey, babe.”

 

Soonyoung waddled over and wrapped Jihoon in a big hug, before lightly flicking his forehead, ing the lunchbox containing his forgotten dinner towards him.

 

“You big idiot, you even forgot to bring your dinner! Take a break and eat.”

 

Jihoon grabbed the lunchbox and started eating while he slid on the other side of his headphone to continue working, with Soonyoung’s light “tsk tsk” in the background. Jihoon gestured Soonyoung to do whatever he wanted if he decided to wait for him to call it a day in the studio. Soonyoung pecked his boyfriend’s cheek as an acknowledgement and made his way to the small loveseat, flipping through his drama.

 

Soon, the first episode of his drama ended, and he continued watching the second one, as his boyfriend seemed like he was not going to be done anytime soon. He honestly had expected Jihoon to finish soon, perhaps before he finished the second episode, but even that ended and Jihoon just remained glued to the seat. Looking at the time on his phone, he was utterly shocked that it already was drawing close to 2 am. He decided that it was getting way too late, and wanted to go back home for Jihoon and him to get some well-needed rest.

 

Walking over to the computer, Soonyoung’s heart rejoiced a little when he saw that he had already done more than 3/4 of the song. He felt that Jihoon had done more than his body would have liked him to today.

 

“Baby, let’s go home now? I think you need to rest. I know it’s due on Friday and you’re already 3/4 through it. Can you finish the rest tomorrow?”

 

Jihoon sighed. Precisely he was almost done with the song and that was why he found the need to stay and finish it all at once, no matter how his body felt. He understood that Soonyoung was worried about his body and him but he felt that it was more worth it to push his sick self a bit more today, in exchange for a full day of rest tomorrow.

 

“Soonyoung, I’m feeling better already. Let me finish it, I’m so close to getting it done.”

 

 “But you need to rest. Why don’t you call it a day here? You can finish the rest tomorrow, okay?”

 

“No, I’m gonna finish it soon! Why won’t you let me finish-“ Jihoon countered, his raspy voice tinged with frustration.

 

Before he could even finish his sentence though, his body fell limp and slumped to the side, towards the loveseat, falling into a state of unconsciousness.

 

A bolt of fear shot through Soonyoung and he immediately screamed and shook his boyfriend in an attempt to wake him up.

 

“Ji-Jihoon!” Soonyoung exclaimed in pure, utter shock, trying his best not to freak out while immediately carrying his boyfriend out of the chair and into the loveseat sitting in the corner of the studio.

 

Seeing that Jihoon was not responding, he quickly dialled for the ambulance and tried to speak as coherently as he could in his shock. Pacing around anxiously waiting for the ambulance to arrive, he massaged his boyfriend’s hand, wishing that anything he did right now would cause Jihoon to open his eyes. The longest five minutes later, rapid knocking on his door was heard. Soonyoung immediately flung open the door to let the paramedics in, as Jihoon was carried out on a stretcher and into the ambulance to head for the Accident & Emergency department. Soonyoung was by his side the whole time, never letting go of his boyfriend’s hand. Seeing Jihoon lifeless on the orange stretcher scared him more than anything in the world.

 

The first memory that Jihoon had before blacking out was puzzling. All he could remember was that his boyfriend was there and he was working at his desk, and all of a sudden the world turned black. So when he awoke in a place that definitely was not his dim studio, he was beyond confused. The world was a blur when he first opened his eyes. Instead of his dim studio, he saw a white ceiling directly above him, and there were many people clad in white uniforms pacing around anxiously. Since when his studio had a white ceiling? Where was he? What on earth was going on?

 

 The first person that came to his mind was Soonyoung, knowing that his boyfriend was there in the studio with him. He had never been more scared in his life. He needed Soonyoung, where exactly was his boyfriend? So, on instinct, acting on the shock and fear of being thrown into this unfamiliar environment, called out to him in confusion.

 

“Where is this? Where am I? Soonyoung? Soons? Where are you? Are you there?” his voice laced thick with worry, barely forming raspy whispers as he fired questions.

 

Soonyoung was jolted awake by the movement of Jihoon’s fingers anxiously squeezing his, and whispers of where he was. He squeezed Jihoon’s hand lightly and hovered over him with a concerned expression. Jihoon turned towards the feeling and was relieved to see the face that was his biggest comfort.

 

“You’re in the hospital, Ji. You out in the studio. How are you feeling? Let me go get the doctor.” 

 

Soonyoung left after Jihoon slightly nodded at him, and within minutes, a doctor was at his bedside explaining what had happened to him.

 

“Mr Lee, it seems like you fainted due to your habit of skipping meals, as well as exhaustion. It seems that you caught a cold, in addition to both factors. Your body couldn’t take it, and that’s why you fainted. Please make sure that you eat three full meals a day, and make sure to drink enough water as well.” Turning to Soonyoung he then continued, “Since he has woken up, he is fine and can be discharged.” Soonyoung and Jihoon thanked the doctor as Soonyoung helped Jihoon off the bed and went to handle the discharge papers.

 

As they were walking to the car, Jihoon could see the quiet anger that was broiling under his calm exterior. He knew it was his own fault this time because he should not have gotten so carried away until he skipped meals just so he could complete projects. The car ride home was loaded with tension and intensely quiet. Not a word was spoken between them as Jihoon glanced cautiously over to his boyfriend several times. He could tell and sense that Soonyoung was angry at what he had gotten himself into, and he honestly just felt so bad. Soonyoung was trying so hard to hold in his anger and frustration and he knew Jihoon could sense that. These feelings were not only towards his boyfriend but also towards himself for failing to care for him. He knew that ultimately it was not really his fault but he really could not help it. Knowing that Jihoon could possibly end up in the hospital again one day scared him senseless.

 

When they reached home after what seemed like endless and unbreakable tension, Soonyoung walked into the living room with Jihoon trailing slowly behind him. Jihoon did not know what to do to possibly confront this situation and just did whatever he mind told him to. He grabbed onto Soonyoung’s hand on reflex and a wave of relief crashed over him when the other made no motion to shrug it away.

 

“I’m sorry……”

 

Turning around to face Jihoon and seeing him so weak, an unusual look on his usually strong boyfriend, most of his anger turned into worry for him as he sighed. He took a few moments to compose himself but tears started wetting his eyes the moment he started talking.

 

“I was so so worried when you suddenly slumped in the chair you know, Ji. I freaked out and honestly thought that something really really bad had happened to you when you just wouldn’t wake up even when I had shaken you so many times. At that moment, I just wondered why- just why you so stubbornly wouldn’t listen when I told you to call it a day. I was so so scared that something had happened to you,” Soonyoung spoke, tears flowing continuously at this point, “and you know as much as I do that I cannot live without you.”

 

Watching as his usually strong boyfriend crumbled in front of him, it tugged at Jihoon’s heartstrings big time, and it was not long as Jihoon engulfed him in a big hug. He made his boyfriend cry. Jihoon never wanted to make Soonyoung worried, much less make him cry. He promised that he would give Soonyoung happiness but he made him cry. He hated to be the cause of his boyfriend’s tears just because he could not take care of himself and let himself get sick.

 

“I’m so so sorry for making you worry, I’m so so sorry for making you cry, and I’m so so sorry for skipping meals when I said I wouldn’t. I will rest when you actually tell me to, and I will try not to skip meals. I was so scared too when the world starting spinning and I out. Thank you so much for saving me, Soon.”, Jihoon told Soonyoung, tears welling up in his eyes. 

 

"Baby please don’t cry I love you so so much”, Jihoon’s own tears starting to flow freely down his cheeks, out of gratitude and relief for the man that was standing before, and the guilt from the reality of what had just happened weighing on him heavily.

 

Both of them cried into each other’s shoulders for a few more seconds until they were reduced to sobs. They separated from the hug, and Soonyoung ran his thumb across Jihoon’s cheek lightly to wipe away the tears tracks, with his boyfriend copying the action. With a soft smile etched on his face, he cupped the side of Jihoon’s cheek and felt his boyfriend lean into the touch.

 

“I’m really really really really glad that you’re fine. I really don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have you by my side, Ji.”, Soonyoung whispered.

 

Jihoon nodded at his words, acknowledging that he felt the same way too. He quickly found himself in the all too familiar arms of his boyfriend, in the biggest, tightest and most heartfelt hug he had ever received from anyone in his life. 

 

It was already close to six in the morning when they finally decided to go to sleep. Jihoon led Soonyoung into their bedroom and got into bed, both of them snuggling comfortably under the covers. Soonyoung reached home and wrapped Jihoon in the tightest hug, holding him like he was the most precious thing in the world. 

 

Which he was. 

 

And at any other time, Jihoon may have protested and tried to squirm out the hold but tonight, he felt that it was the only thing he needed. 

------------------------

Hey guys! It's lollllli back with a soonhoon chapter for y'all! Enjoy!