Lunchtime

Hold My Hand And Don't Let Go

A week later

 

“Him?” Her obnoxious friend asked loudly.

 

“Yes him, she hissed to shut her down. Can you please be a bit discreet?”

 

“Should I go and ask him?”

 

She opened eyes wide of shock. “Are you freaking crazy? There is no way he can know who I am. He would kill me.”

 

“Why would he?”

She would swear her best friend was playing the dumb girl sometimes.

 

“Because he is a damn vampire and vampires can kill if they want to, that is why!” She explained “and it would change nothing for him to know that I have nightmares because of him. I shouldn’t have been outside at that time of the night that’s all.”

 

Her best friend crossed her arms on her chest and leaned back in the cafeteria’s chair.

 

“I don’t think so. He is too old to do that, his instinct would prevent him from doing so.”

 

She sighed. “I am not even sure it was him anyway.”

 

“There isn’t many people with a friend who has silver hair in this neighbourhood. Plus he has light brown hair like you said.”

 

 

 

Namjoon jumped.

“Hold on a second.” He raised his hand at Jimin.

“What?”

“Shhh I said!”

Namjoon was not moving anymore. He could have bet he heard someone talking about them to his left. A girl.

 

 

 

“You think he heard me? He is clearly listening.”

“He might have you idiot! What if his hearing is his specialty?” A shiver ran down the student’s spine. “Come on let’s go. Lessons will start soon.”

She grabbed her bag on the chair next to her and quickly made her way to the exit, her friend tagging along.

“He can’t! There is too much noise in the cafeteria”, she huffed behind her friend.

 

 

Namjoon’s eyes followed two girls walking away, one struggling to catch up with the one with long brown hair.

 

 

The ring put an end to the break. Groups of students gathered their bags and headed to their respective lessons. As usual the corridors were overcrowded.

 

Hoseok didn't mind, his earplugs in his ears covered the noise and as a dancer he was able to make his way without much struggles in the mass of students. He bumped into several people but didn't pay much attention to them, focused on the rhythmical tune playing in his ear. He was so absorbed by the beat that he hit a random girl's arm quite hard. He wasn't the type to make a fuss out of this incident, furthermore the girl didn't look much bothered. She simply glanced at him more by instinct than purposely and Hoseok didn't like arguing. It was a waste of time and completely useless to him. If people wanted to ruin their moods for an accident, good for them, but he was not the type to let his positive mind get affected by that. So he simply bowed, smiled kindly and eventually reached his class.

 

He happily walked up to his classmates, folding his earplugs in his pocket, ready to chat about the latest songs each of them heard and wanted to share. Walking past Namjoon’s seat he dropped a can of cold coffee and gave him a big bright smile when he looked up from his notes. The silver haired student smiled in return, thankful that Hoseok understood it was not the right time to chat yet still being here for him.

 

The teacher signalled herself by closing the door abruptly behind her and the silence settled as everyone reached their respective seats and the lesson began. This day it was about finding inspiration to compose original songs instead of falling for the easy and much too common pattern than artists in general followed. Miss Lee Chaerin was a great teacher. She knew how to make her students feel at ease with any subject by pushing them to participate to the elaboration of the lesson which made them pass in no time.

 

But as the lesson went on she noticed that Namjoon was not paying much attention. Of course she had many dissipated students but Namjoon was rarely one of them. On the contrary, he usually had great pleasure to share his immense knowledge to help the lesson move forward and become even more interesting.

The teacher did not worry too much, it is not rare to have something fogging your mind. And she knew her student very well, surely leaving him alone scribbling on his notebook for this time would not prevent him from catching up for the next time.

 

She then averted her eyes to Hoseok. The two were often seen together whether it be on the way to school, at the library or in the recording rooms at the disposal of the students. In fact they spent most of their time there even if it was to study. Chaerin understood them well, it was also her room of predilection and they frequently crossed each other there. The young teacher assumed they were roommates and best friends because her boyfriend Park Bongyoung told her once that when Hoseok was rehearsing his dance moves in the dance room Namjoon would always be sitting in a corner, sometimes accompanied with one or two younger students that none of them ever met.

 

Lee Chaerin dismissed her class and Hoseok walked up to his best friend’s desk. Namjoon was packing his bag and smiled at his friend.

 

“Is everything alright?”

 

“Why wouldn’t it?”

 

“I don’t know, you look tired.” Hoseok shrugged pushing his fists in his hoodie pockets while heading to the corridor.

 

“I am, thank you for worrying, Namjoon smiled faintly.”

 

“We don’t have class tomorrow, you can sleep.” The boy stated, returning the smile.

 

Namjoon nodded. “I still have that photography project to finish though. I hope Jungkook is not too busy, I would need his help for a bit.”

 

As they made their way to the cafeteria, the younger broke the silence.

 

“Hey Jay, can I tell you something I heard at lunch today?”

 

 

At that exact moment a student was shyly stepping inside Seokjin’s office, dark bags underlining her eyes.