Spring In Bloom

Hold My Hand And Don't Let Go

Jin slammed the door shut and the three boys exited the car. Yoongi made his way to the truck and retrieved the two folded shopping bags. He caught up with Jin who was waiting for him to lock the vehicle and the group made its way to the mall across the wide parking lot. Hoseok and Namjoon ahead were debating on a philosophical quote their history teacher had taught them the day before and Jin and Yoongi were following them calmly.

The spring weather was definitely impacting the mood of the group, everyone’s pace was bouncier lighter than usual, the conversations slightly lighter and you could easily catch people smiling here and there for no apparent reason. It was that time of the year when the most adventurous would be found not wearing any coat, when the colours were starting to pop out of the closets. That time of the year when the air is as warm inside than outside a house and all the windows are left wide open. When purple and yellow pansies line the edges of the roadway and students take their lunch on the grass of the edges of the rivers in hope that the upcoming exams would feel a bit less stressful.

Jin’s ears caught Yoongi’s soft voice humming a melody that he recognized as one of his recent creation. One glance at him was enough to notice the slight upward curl of his best friend’s lips corners. Jin smiled too. A jump and he was jogging towards his two flatmates, throwing himself between them and his arms around their shoulders. Yoongi smiled wider and caught up with them as they stepped inside the massive entrance of the mall. The front wall covered in windows allowed the light to shine inside the area. Namjoon breathed in deeply, taking in the warmth of the air.

 

‘I’m going to shop for clothes!’ J-Hope threw his hand in the air.

 

‘I’m coming with you.’ Namjoon added.

 

‘I’m off to find some new headphones I will catch you there soon.’

 

‘Hey I’m not going to carry the groceries alone!’ Seokjin complained jokingly.

 

‘Just come with us, the groceries can wait.’ Yoongi threw him. J-Hope was already ten meters ahead of the group.

 

 

‘I like it when we don’t have any lessons’ Hoseok half said - half sang as he was making his way between the racks of clothing items, pulling one from time to times only to hang it back. Namjoon nodded, his eyebrows raised and his cheeks puffed up by a smile, making his dimples show. For some reason their sole Friday lesson had been moved so the pair was free until Monday.

 

‘I feel so bad for the boys at school right now. Tae has a test if I remember well and Jimin didn’t look very energetic when he left this morning.’

‘I am sure it has nothing to do with the moon Nam, next one is in a bit less than two weeks you have nothing to worry about’ J-Hope answered the silent concern of his best friend as if he could read his mind. ‘You take this matter too personally, he will be fine.’ The dancer added positively.

 

Namjoon nodded and Hoseok could almost read his expression of gratitude on his face. The youngest grabbed an item the he had been looking at since the beginning of their conversation once he finally settled on the soft grey version and both headed to the changing rooms. Everyone was at work on this Friday morning, leaving the area almost empty aside from a handful of people scattered here and there between the racks and shelves of the clothes shop. A pre-made commercial tune was coming out of invisible speakers all around the shop, enhancing the emptiness of the place. The two boys got into a changing room pretty quickly and proceeded to try on the various pieces of clothing each has selected, coming out to show the other and collect their opinion only to get back into another item. Namjoon was contemplating purchasing a pleated black skirt with white accents, turning on himself to check his reflection in every angles possible in the center corridor of the changing rooms while Hoseok was enjoying a tad bit too much the free space he had but the young lady at the desk was too fascinated by his dance moves to me mad at him. Surely she hadn’t seen a pair like those many times in her career.

 

‘Just take it Joon, it’s the second time you tried it on in a month, it’s not going to be there forever. And I think you can pull of that look perfectly. Who cares about what people say, if you are already struggling with unwanted popularity, at least use it to show the real you.’

 

Namjoon detached his eyes from his reflection to look at his friend in the mirror.

 

‘Are you sure you don’t read minds?’ He asked bewildered. J-Hope chuckled and nodded.

 

‘Yep, one hundred percent. I mean I can lift your bed without much struggles, I doubt that’s just a talent of mine. And as we can only have one asset, no I don’t read minds. I would hate that anyway. Nope, I’m just your best friend since many years.’ He added with a wink.

‘Should we go and pay?’

 

The younger checked himself one last time and it seemed like J-Hope had convinced him because he came out of his changing room with the skirt neatly folded on one arm and the items that didn’t fit on the other. He handed them back to the short brunette and they walked to the short queue for the cash desks.

 

‘What did you talk about when Jin came to see you tonight?’ Namjoon asked out of the blue.

 

Hoseok looked up from his phone looking lost.

 

‘Oh you heard us?’ He asked after a second of thinking. Namjoon shrugged.

 

‘Jin woke me up when he moved and I couldn’t help but listen when I heard your voice on the balcony. Sorry.’

 

‘It’s totally fine we are all troubled by this thing with Jimin and the girl who is having nightmares because of him. I’m just amazed at how far you can hear!’ He gave an impressed look at his friend whose ear tips reddened a bit.

 

‘So that’s what you were talking about? I couldn’t hear what you were saying though, I just heard hyung walk to the living room and the window sliding.’

 

Hoseok looked emptily in front of him.

 

‘Yep, he saw my door open when he went to the bathroom and I don’t know how but he thought I would be there. We talked for a good half an hour. He said that she will be fine, she is very tolerant and comprehensive but she felt the need to confess to someone. He thinks she is handling the pressure badly. Apparently she was walking her dog that night because of insomnias. That’s also she comes to talk with hyung, he is a great listener and he probably made her at ease. She sounds like a genuinely good person, I just hope Jimin doesn’t snap next cycle or else she might die of fright.’ He finished humorously.

 

Namjoon simply nodded and took his wallet out as they were getting nearer.

 

‘Hyung is impressive, coping with all of our problems and uni’s with such maturity and organisation. I don’t get how he can be so strong. Look at him he is constantly goofing around with the boys, battling them at video games and what not but he always manages to get the job professionally done on time.’

 

Hoseok approved as he grabbed his purchase and let the way to Namjoon.

 

‘You know maybe I can wear it with the black sneakers you gifted me at my birthday?’ Namjoon glanced at his skirt.

 

‘That would look nice! And your black sweater with white cuffs. The hyungs are coming by the way.’ J-Hope added after giving a glance at his phone.

 

And indeed, as they were walking out of the store their friends were joining them, Suga happily unravelling his brand new matte black headphones.

 

‘Is it to hide them in your hair that you bought his shade?’ Hoseok joked pointing at Suga’s pitch black locks.

 

‘How dare you insult my baby?’ He responded with a fake offended look.

 

‘Let’s go to the supermarket now, we have a lot of things to buy.’ Jin suggested. ‘Could you help me with the bags Jay?’

 

‘I know I know we all need a Superman as a flatmate.’

 

 

 

Jimin walked through the metallic door leading to the rooftop. Jungkook and Taehyung weren't there yet so he settled his backpack against the wall of the door, sat down next to it and opened the can of soda he had bought earlier at a vending machine. The cold sugar flowing down his throat alongside the gentle breeze calmed him down. Despite not being tired, the young man let his eyelids drop closed for a moment.

 

He checked the time on his watch. Eight past noon.

 

Jimin got up on his feet and proceeded to walk around, having nothing else to do.

 

He was walking around the center block when his eyes landed on someone he had not noticed.

 

The first thing that caught Jimin's eyes was her position. Everything about this girl reminded him of a dancer, and as one himself, he knew very well how to recognize one. She was standing surprisingly straight for someone of her age, her hair was knotted in a bun but several strands were flowing with the wind around her face. Her back was straight, forming a line with her legs and her heels closed together with her toes pointing slightly outwards. Hands inside the front pockets of her pastel mint sweater, her arms formed two round arches around her body.

 

‘You dance?’ Jimin asked when he had made his way next to her, his body facing the same direction as hers, sipping his soda.

 

She jumped in surprise. Surely, she didn't hear him arrive.

Jimin turned his head to look at her and she threw him a rather unpleasant look. A mix of hatred and fear.

Before he had the time to ask any question, she had picked the bag at her feet and was hurrying back to the door.

 

'I guess I can't please everyone. She was rude though.' Jimin thought sipping his beverage absentmindedly

Jimin shrugged her off. It wasn’t very uncommon to meet students on this roof. Which unnerved him because he felt as if his privacy was being invaded. And who runs away like that after being asked a question?

 

But the young man didn’t have the time to let his mind wander too far away, his two best friends burst through the heavy door at that right moment, out of breath but proudly holding a plastic bag filled up to the top. Jimin joined them as they started pulling different items bought from the campus’s grocery store as their meal.