We Met Before

Hold My Hand And Don't Let Go

For an awkwardly long moment, nobody really moved. Jungkook had his wide eyes following the big fluffy Labrador who was still jumping around the group of boys in pure bliss, Jimin was turning red at an impressive speed and Namjoon was quickly putting the puzzle pieces together. By the way she fit Jin’s description and her dog, Jimin’s, by the way her behaviour the day he overheard her at the cafeteria matched the stories he had been told by his flatmates and because he was definitely not stupid, Namjoon quickly understood who the girl standing a good meter away from them, straight posture and messed up outfit was.

 

 

On your side, you recognised them in a split of second. You had already met one of the trio a couple of times in your singing lessons, the other one kept haunting you in your sleep regularly and meeting him here and there in a class or on the rooftop of the school did not improve anything. And the last one was the silver haired guy of the school. The one you were eavesdropping on one day with your best friend. Your blood rushed through your arteries as you remembered how he had stopped, alert, when you had mentioned him. For sure he could hear better than any normal human. There was no doubt about it. Maybe he could even hear your heart beat accelerate in your chest now? You shook the thought away and broke the heavy silence that had settled among the four of you.

 

“Hey Jungkook. And you must be the infamous Jimin am I right?” You asked. Namjoon noticed the charm of your smile. Although a bit off.

“I have heard of your voice through your friend, you continued confidently, pointing in Jungkook’s direction, I wish I could hear it one day, I want to know why it is so special that you can’t attend class with us.”

 

Jimin was slightly taken aback. He did not expect you to react so calmly, especially since your last encounter on the school’s rooftop was rather uncomfortable.

 

Even you were surprised at how steady you managed to keep your voice pattern. They were not the ones you expected to come across today, and that definitely was not something you were prepared for.

Adorably ignorant of his mistress’ distress, Chan, your golden Labrador went to sit at your feet, tail brushing the dust on the ground behind him.

 

“Nice to meet you then” Jimin said with a bright smile. “I am sure you will have the occasion to hear me sing, I sometimes do performance at school. And this is Namjoon, one of my flatmates. He studies composition and rap, and he is pretty good at it” He continued, obviously faking to tell you a confidential information. Although his smile was kind and welcoming, spreading through hit bright eyes, his cheeks were tainted of a crimson red, reflecting his discomfort.

 

And yours was steadily growing too as the time spent with them increased. You knew none of you were really being honest with themselves, as if a common secret was being kept hidden. The conversation seemed too common to be natural and it made you more impatient than anything to leave. You did not feel ready to get to know them if they really were who you thought they were. Now and here was not the place to hear the dreaded answer of your questions.

 

“I should get going now, see yo-“

 

“It not the first time you meet each other right?” Namjoon interrupted. Your breath hitched a little. An uncomfortable feeling was growing in the pit of your guts, the same feeling that sometimes hits you before an important meeting.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Yeah hyung, what do you mean”, said Jimin in an obvious attempt to play it cool. Namjoon brushed him off.

 

“That night, a month ago. It was you. And your dog.” He added pointing towards the joyful Labrador.

 

You could not bring yourself to look at him in the eyes. How could you tell those guys you suspected them of being deadly vampires? And even if somehow, they seemed to know everything, you dreaded the reality too much. Perhaps it was all a misunderstanding. What were the odds that they were the source of your trauma? It could have been anything way more rational, from the cold you had that day to the illusions of the night playing tricks on your mind. It was so much easier to try and deny it. After all it is sometimes safer to avoid the reality when events get too uncontrollable, when they take over your life like an unpredicted tsunami.

 

“I don’t think I get what you’re talking about.”

 

“Please don’t be scared. We would never harm you. I don’t want you to keep bad impressions of us. That was a mistake and I can’t let Jin or any other of my flatmates worry because of our mistake.”

 

Something suddenly caught your interest. Your fingers stopped twisting the hem of your shirt. When did you even start fidgeting with it?

“Wait you know Seokjin? He lives with you? Don’t tell me he is like you.”

 

“Would that be an issue?” Jungkook suddenly entered the exchange. Your eyes landed on him.

 

“No not at all. That’s not how I mean it. I just didn’t expect that. We have been talking together for a moment now and it is just surprising that you also know him.”

 

“He told us about your regular meetings yes.”

 

Your shoulders slouched down a little.

“Ah he did. Well I suppose you know much more about me than I would have thought.”

 

A deep silence settled down once again, like a thick fog that just will not go away.

 

“Would you like to come to the flat? Jin would be very happy to see you.” Namjoon encouraged you.

 

You were conflicted. You know you would have to face the truth at some point and make this whole situation clearer for all of you. Plus if Jin was here he would know how to make you feel relaxed. He understood you so effortlessly. No, it was too soon. And a flat full of vampires was not something you were really used to. How many were they actually living together? You seemed to meet a new one every week.

 

“I really can’t, I have to take Chan home”, you indicated towards your dog, still happily sitting at your feet. “And I have homework, remember I have to catch up on you in singing lessons” you addressed Jungkook a friendly smile. “Maybe another time. Thank you for your patience.” You bowed your head down at the three of them and proceeded to carry on your way before they could keep you for any more awkward minutes, Chan on your heels.

A loud puff escaped your lips when a good distance separated you from them and the pressure you did not feel building up in your muscles dropped down. It was a lot to process.

 

So who was part of the group up to now? Jungkook, very likely V as he was hanging out with him and Jimin almost all the time. So that was three. Plus Namjoon, Jin and potentially that Hoseok Taehyung once told you about. Six vampires in one flat.

That’s when it hit you that you knew nothing of vampires, aside that it was a minority, generally harmless but who could squeeze a walnut open with one hand at the age of 8. And that each of them had a special ability ranging from being able to remember a scene after seeing it for one second days ago to growing your hair and nails at will. And that was basically it. You also know their immune system was incredibly resistant which always placed them at the oldest humans. Reason why they almost always married other vampires. It is never pleasant to see all your beloved ones dying years before you.

 

That did not bring you very far.

 

You nonchalantly threw a squeaky toy at your companion as your brain was boiling up.

 

Part of you regretted to have declined Namjoon offer. You had so many unanswered questions and you were sure it would make you feel better if you seized the problem at its root.

Perhaps that would also allow you to spend time with Jin. He was such a kind, caring and funny person. You instantly felt good when you were with him. He was a great friend and impressive at his job. To you, it was as if everything he did was made with confidence, calmness and control. You envied him, his control over everything, his ability to manage his schedule and his thoughts so smoothly so that everything fit together in his life like a perfectly crafted clock. You on the other side had the tendency to let yourself get overcome by problems only to break down under pressure ever so often. Of course Jin’s life was probably not that easy, but he never showed it, dedicating his time and energy to make everyone feel safe and happy around him.

 

But you would not have been able to meet him and his flatmates today. You were already too tired and you did not feel like you knew each other well enough to meet outside of school.

 

Seokjin was a friend, that was all. Just a comforting shoulder to lean on.