Why Am I A Monster?

Hold My Hand And Don't Let Go

“What has he done again? I swear if something wrong happened I will put him on a vegetables diet for two weeks.” Namjoon heard the all too familiar voice of his favourite living diary mumbling behind him.

 

Seokjin burst through the metal doors of the university rooftop struggling to keep his breathing pattern steady. His ash blond hair sticking in odd places.

 

“Ah there you are.” Jin’s relieved voice reached the student’s ears but nothing in his behaviour showed that he acknowledged his best friend’s presence.

 

Jin leaned on the cold barrier next to his best friend, staring at the city in front of them.

 

“It’s pretty isn’t it?”

 

Namjoon hummed in approval.

 

“I got your text.”

 

It was a statement but they both knew it implied a reaction from the rapper.

 

“A bit late I concede. I am sorry. Sometimes I feel like I fail as a best friend” Jin sighed.

 

“Oh you too?”

 

“We all do Joon. It’s normal. What made you feel that way today?”

 

Namjoon took his time to think about it.

 

“Hyung why do people call me a monster? I don’t like that nickname at all. It was cool when I was a child, not anymore. Why can’t I be called by my normal name like you?”

 

“You mean Rap Monster?”

 

“Yeah. But for some reason I only hear ‘monster’ when my classmates call me like that.”

 

“It’s our tradition Joon. Your parents probably thought, like most of our parents, that it would help you integrate. And from the recordings your sister has been showing us you were already into rap at a very young age.”

 

“But that’s not how I would have liked to be called.”

 

“You know I doubt Yoongi likes his more than you do. He says it is too stereotypical for a vampire to be characterised for his pale skin. Only J-Hope looks unbothered, but there are only few things that can bother him anyways. ”

 

“Mhm.”

 

How inappropriate is it to being called monster when you belong to a traditionally dangerous and ferocious minority? Many of his classmates replied that Namjoon's name was too soft for his strong and mature image when he still protested to be called by his birth name. The truth was, Namjoon would give anything to reset everyone's mind and be completely himself, the caring person only his best friends know.

 

“You don’t know any vampire that could bewitch everyone to call me Kim Namjoon?”

 

Jin smiled faintly.

 

“You know Mind Swipers are incredibly few. And old. You wouldn’t want being called Kim Joonster just because he didn’t hear your request properly.”

 

Namjoon did not reply. It was not usual for him to miss out on a joke. He was really upset.

 

“Hey it will be alright” Jin reassured him rubbing his back.

 

“Easy to say when your ability to comfort people and understand their needs is highly developed” Namjoon mumbled. But the said boy ignored him.

 

“Persevere, tell them that it really hurts you, and do it again and again. I promise you it will fade away. And you only have a few months left before graduating. It will be over in no time.”

 

“Yeah you are probably right. I hope the headmaster doesn’t call me Monster when I go up the stage to retrieve my diploma though.”

 

Jin laughed. Namjoon’s mood was lighter and his heart followed the mood.

They stayed a bit more admiring the scenery in silence until Namjoon felt like joining his class back for their last lesson of the day.

 

“See ya this evening leader-nim.”

 

Namjoon hissed at the stupid nickname but smiled behind his hyung’s back when they descended the stairs together.

 

 

 

-- 11:56 am -- ‘And don’t worry about Jimin. I think he is getting better. You focus too much on his crises but I promise, I kept track of them and they have been less frequent since October.’ Jin texted on his way back to his office. He knew his friend too well to let himself be convinced that his nickname was the only thing fogging Kim Namjoon’s mind.

 

-- 12:03 -- ‘Yeah, I just find it amazing that I can be one of the top students in this country but I am no help when it comes to help those I love. Anyway, gotta join Hoseok for rhythm lesson. Seeya’