The Moon Looks Silver Tonight

Hold My Hand And Don't Let Go

Drops of glistening sweat were beading on his skin. Behind his dry lips the tip of four white fangs contrasted with the darkness of his mouth. From time to time, his fingers would curl on the bed sheets at each rush of adrenaline running through his muscles. Eyebrows slightly furrowed and heavy breaths pushing through his ajar lips, Jimin seemed to be struggling with yet another set of nightmares as his roommates were sleeping soundly in their beds, unaware of their friend’s distress.

 

With the weather getting warmer as summer was approaching, even the nights of Seoul were uncomfortably warm, air heavy and damp. And despite the light breeze sneaking through the open window, rippling the soft fabric of the curtains, Jimin’s body temperature would not decrease. His bed sheets were crumpled at his feet and his loose tank top was long thrown away on his side in an unconscious attempt to cool down. Yet, after waking up three times in one night, Jimin once again awoke.

 

It took him a second or two to fully recover all his senses. He kept his eyelids shut and enjoyed the silence of the apartment. It’s as if he just got pushed out of a crowded room with loud basses, shouts and unidentified noises to one where there was nothing, not even a feather making a noise as it touches the ground. The silence of his room was almost noisy. Jimin could not remember what the nightmare he just had was about but one thing was sure, it as an intense and noisy one. Once again.

The young man let a heavy sigh slip past his swollen lips and it seemed as if it resounded all around the quiet room. He took a moment to register to feeling of his body sinking under the weight of his burdens on his mattress.

 

He lifted a heavy arm and let it fall back onto his wet forehead. Something was bugging him. His head was not throbbing. His gums were not in flame. The roots of his fangs were ever so slightly more uncomfortable than usual but other than that Jimin did not feel the urge to let all his energy out, run around, bite his pillow in pain or scream. He was hot, undoubtedly, more than how the heat of the upcoming summer would normally impact him. And his body was tense as if electricity had replaced his blood in even his tiniest vessels. But Jimin noticed in surprise that he was in control. For the first time in a year he could control his movements and his thoughts. Sure a tiny entity at the back of his mind was pushing and struggling to burst and release all its energy but Jimin did not find much trouble repressing it. And it was in honest pleasure that he decided to fully wake up. One quick glance at his clock indicated him that it was close to one and a half.

 

His not-so-brown-but-rather-crimson-red eyes quickly adjusted to the darkness of the room as he sat up among his tangled bedsheets, wet by his sweat. He could easily make out V’s and J-Hope’s sleeping shapes on their beds not far away from his. A few pieces of clothing were laying scattered on the floor, as usual in their room. An irritated Namjoon or Jin would probably pick them up tomorrow in an effort to keep the apartment clean, as usual.

He swung his legs over the mattress and sighed as his feet met with the cold of the wooden floor. He grabbed his smartphone on his bedtable and shoved it in the pocket of his shorts. Deciding to rely on the warmth of his own body, Jimin neglected his top and dragged his feet to the door. Once again, he enjoyed the cold of the door knob when his fingers curled around it. In a soft click, the door opened and Jimin made his way into the dark corridor. Only the sound of his muffled steps disturbed the silence of the night. Jimin carefully listened to the change of the echo as he stepped into the living room towards the kitchen. He poured himself a glass of water and in careful steps he reached the sofa and let himself fall onto it, after settling his glass on the low table in front of him. The softness of the cushions hugged his back, making all of his tensed up body ease down in a long and deep sigh.

He waited a minute or two, eyes closed, before pulling his phone out and unlocking it. The sudden light of his screen made him squint but his retina quickly focused and Jimin lowered his brightness to the minimum. Without any plan in mind, he started scrolling through his different social media accounts aimlessly.

 

---

 

‘I don’t know, I was so afraid to be rude.’ 1:28 a.m.

 

‘I don’t think they would have thought so. I think they genuinely asked’ 1:29 a.m.

 

‘You are probably right…’ 1:29 a.m.

 

‘Hey don’t worry too much ok? It is not much of a deal I promise you’ 1:30 a.m.

 

‘Thank you :) I feel better now.’ 1:30 a.m.

 

‘Great!’ 1:30 a.m.

 

The little typing bubble appeared and disappeared several times on Seokjin’s iPhone. He smiled to himself and waited for the following message. He knew how complicated it was to put words on your late night thoughts sometimes.

 

‘Still not tired?’ 1:32 a.m.

                                 

‘Nope’ 1:32 a.m.

‘I have am off tomorrow, I can sleep as late as I want.’ 1:32 a.m. He added to not sounds too curt. He dropped his phone on his laps and took a long gulp from the water bottle sitting on his bed table to cool him down.

 

 

‘That’s good. So I won’t see you?’ 1:33 a.m.

 

Jin smiled dearly. He knew she instantly regretted that message. He could sense it. It was obvious to him but he knew better than to embarrass her.

 

‘I’m not planning on coming to the university no. I know I know you will miss me very much, it is so hard to not see my handsome face but it is only for a day ;)’ 1:34 a.m.

 

‘Pff as if XP’1:34 a.m.

 

He muffled a chuckle to avoid waking Yoongi up.

 

‘I like the moon tonight. It looks made of silver.’ 1:35 a.m.

 

The young man averted his gaze to the window next to his bed. He had drawn the curtains aside to have the full moon in sight. Jin loved those bright nights when the satellite was shining so purely there was a halo around it. It reminded him of a pearl resting on the dark velvet of the sky, shining so bright it was impossible to see the nearest stars. There was something immensely relaxing about the moon being at its fullest. Nothing was covering it, nothing to cast a shadow on it. No cloud to tame its beauty. It was almost majestic.

 

‘I like it very much too’ 1:38 a.m.

 

Once again she seemed to type her message several times before sending it.

 

‘Is it why you can’t sleep?’ 1:40 a.m.

 

‘?’ 1:40 a.m.

 

‘The full moon.’ 1:40 a.m.

 

Seokjin paused for a moment. Of course she knew. Why wouldn’t she. She was smart and it was easy to bring the pieces together. He wondered why he didn’t think of it before. Maybe he just did not remember. Sometimes when everything is going right you forget that the person you are talking to is not exactly you and you are not exactly them either. There are things that only you know because you never feel like bringing them up.

 

‘It’s ok you don’t have to tell me if it is too complicated.’ 1:42 a.m.

 

He sighed a bit.

 

‘Really it’s not. But I don’t feel like talking about it through messages. Would you like to meet?’ 1:42 a.m.

 

‘You mean right now??’ 1:43 a.m.

 

‘Yes why not? I am not tired, you don’t seem to be either.’ 1:43 a.m.

 

‘Fair enough. I like walking in the night.’ 1:43 a.m.

 

‘Me too :) Wanna meet at the park? Near the entrance?’ 1:44 a.m.

 

‘Ok but I have to bring Chan, I can’t leave him alone.’ 1:44 a.m.

 

‘Sure, I would love to meet him! Let’s do that then. I’ll be there in 10min.’ 1:44 a.m.

 

‘Jin?’ 1:45 a.m.

 

‘uhm?’ 1:45 a.m.

 

‘Thank you so much’ 1:45 a.m.

 

Jin smiled as he landed his feet on the ground. Deciding he was definitely too hot for a sweater, he simply kept his shirt on and ran his fingers in his ash blonde locks to brush them down a little. He exited the bedroom, crossed the silent living room, slip on the first pair of his shoes he found, grabbed his keys resting on the shelf next to the entrance and made his way out. The door clicked behind him when it closed, Jin hoped it wouldn’t wake Namjoon up. He was surely wearing headphones to muffle the sounds, as he usually did on full moons.

 

The young vampire enjoyed the coolness of the corridor on his cheeks. He climbed down the stairs and pushed the gates of the building open. A single car rushed past him and Jin noticed a cat trotting on the pavement before sliding under a parked car. And the street was empty again.

 

---

 

Jimin caught the sound of keys behind him and a door closing shut. He swirl around but nobody was there anymore. He shrugged and laid his forearms back onto the iron grid of the balcony. Everything was a chance to cool down his body temperature. He decided to leave his sofa when he felt his cheeks getting warmer, and walk out on the balcony to enjoy the fresh air of the night. He liked staring at the moon, study its multiple pits in various shades of grey. It inspired him. One of his goals was to draw the moon. Maybe not today but perhaps if he stared at it long enough he would memorise it well enough to draw it by memory one day.

 

A car passed by at the feet of the building. Its flashlights lit the houses up on its way, the darkness following close by behind it devouring the remains of any spot of light left behind.

A moving shape attracted Jimin’s eyes. Vertically down under him, someone walk pushing the gates open. A tall broad man with bleached blonde hair. Someone he recognised all too well. Jimin wondered why Seokjin was walking out in the middle of the night but he figured out he went for a late night walk to weaken the symptoms of the full moon.

Jimin did not dare shouting after him. He was afraid he would cause troubles in the neighbourhood if he did not control his voice correctly.