Recovery

Roommate Wanted

The buzzer went off early on Sunday morning.  Jinhwan was already in the kitchen making breakfast.  He went to the panel and saw an older woman at the door.

"Who is this?"  Jinhwan asked.

"This is Jiwon's aunt.  Please let me in, I have to speak with him."  

"Um... I don't think a Jiwon lives here.  Are you sure you have the right address?"  Jinhwan was confused.

"Let her in Jinhwan."  Bobby said.  He was standing in the doorway of his room, leaning against the frame to keep himself standing.  Jinhwan was still puzzled but let the woman in.  

"Kim Jiwon!  What have you gotten yourself into?"  She exclaimed as she walked towards where he was standing.

"Auntie, I'm fine."  He went back into his room to sit down.  His aunt followed him and closed the door behind her, leaving Jinhwan in the hallway.

"I don't care if it was for the money, this isn't good for you."  She said, holding Bobby's face in her hands.  She pulled a first aid kit out of her bag and replaced the bandage on his temple.

"I know, I just... I miss them so much."  He leaned his head on her shoulder.

"I know Jiwon but this is too extreme.  I have a friend that needs help at her cafe.  You can work there a few days a week and make a little extra money."  His aunt didn't sound angry or upset anymore, just worried.  Bobby nodded along, knowing she just wanted what was best for him.  "I'll give you her number so you two can talk."  She hugged her nephew, rubbing his back.  "You know, Jiun is getting married.  He proposed yesterday."

"Really?"  Bobby looked at his aunt.  "Did mom call you?"

"Yeah, she called me last night.  She said they all miss you.  The wedding is next summer but hopefully you can go visit them before then."  Bobby wiped his eyes with the back of his hand.

"Thank you for coming by."  They both stood up.  His aunt packed her bag and then turned to Bobby.

"You should visit more often.  Come with your boyfriend."  She said, smiling.

"What?  Oh, Jinhwan is just a roommate."  He clarified.  

"Well he's still invited."  Bobby walked her too the door and kissed her on the cheek before she went down the stairs.  Jinhwan stood awkwardly in the kitchen.

"I'm making a smoothie if you want some."  Jinhwan said.  Bobby went over to sit by the counter.  

"Yeah, thanks."  He said, sitting down.

"Do you want ice for your eye or something?"  Jinhwan asked.  He sounded just as concerned as his aunt.  

"Actually that would be great.  Sorry for waking you up last night."  Jinhwan went to the freezer, pulled out a handful of ice, and put it in a plastic bag.  He handed it to Bobby and went back to making the smoothies.

"It's fine.  I was just worried you had gotten beat up."

"I mean, technically I did get beat up..."  Bobby put the ice on his eye and laughed a little.  It hurt his ribs to laugh too much and he winced.  

"I overheard you and your aunt talking.  I didn't mean to eavesdrop or anything..."  Jinhwan didn't want to come off too nosy.  Whatever happened was Bobby's business and he wasn't going to try to make him tell him things he didn't want to share.

"No it's fine."  Bobby felt comfortable around Jinhwan.  It was strange, they had only known each other for about a week but it felt like years.  "The prize was a million won.  I was going to visit my family, but I lost the final match."  Jinhwan handed a glass to Bobby and sat down across from him.

"How long has it been since you've seen your family?"  

"A little over two years."  Bobby was trying not to cry again.  It hurt to think of how long he had gone without hugging his parents or brother.  Jinhwan could tell it wasn't the best subject to talk about.

"That's so long."  There was a long silence, the two of them just sipping their drinks.  "Are you doing anything today?"  Jinhwan asked.

"No, I was just going to hang around the apartment.  Don't feel like you have to stay here if you have stuff you have to do."  

"I don't have anything to do either.  Wanna just watch movies on the couch?"  

"Sure."  Jinhwan helped Bobby get up, despite being a few inches shorter.  They settled down on the couch and the TV.  They spent a few hours watching music shows and movies.  It was a very relaxed day for them.  Halfway through the second Iron Man movie, Bobby fell asleep.  His head lolled to the side, resting on Jinhwan's shoulder.  Jinhwan froze, not knowing what to do.  He didn't want to get up and wake Bobby so he just stayed where he was.  Bobby woke up about an hour later.  

"Oh, sorry."  Bobby said, lifting his head and stretching his arms up.

"It's okay.  I didn't want to wake you up, you seem like you needed the rest."  Jinhwan replied.  "Do you want to get something to eat?  We could get takeout."  He suggested.

"Sure that sounds good."  Jinhwan took his phone out to search nearby restaurants.  They settled on a chicken place and ordered two servings each plus jjajangmyun.  Bobby was surprised to see Jinhwan eat all of his food.  For such a small person, he had quite the appetite.  

"Damn, do you just have a black hole for a stomach?"  Bobby asked.

"I guess."  Jinhwan laughed.  They finished eating and cleaned up.  It was still pretty early so they went back to the couch to relax.  They spent the whole day doing nothing and it was the most fun Bobby had had in a while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sorry it's so short >.<