Getting To Know You

Roommate Wanted

Bobby walked out of the building's front door but was stopped by two teenage boys running to catch up to him.

"Hyung!  Wait up!"  One of them yelled.  However, Bobby had his ear buds in again and was deaf to the world around him.  The boys ran up to him and both looped an arm through Bobby's arms.  For the second time that morning, Bobby pulled his ear buds out and jumped.

"Yah!  You two shouldn't be sneaking up on people!"  He jokingly yelled.

"But you couldn't hear us."  One started.

"What were we supposed to do?"  The other finished.

"Don't you two have to go to school?"  Bobby asked.

"But first period is history and it's so boring."  Hanbin whined.

"Yah!  Kim Hanbin, if you get Donghyuk in trouble for skipping again I'm going to tell your mother."  Bobby threatened.

"Hyung~~!!!"  Hanbin whined, trying to pull Bobby to a stop.

"Hanbin, we should just go.  Mom will be upset if she finds out we skipped."  Donghyuk said, letting go of Bobby's arm.  Donghyuk was the less troublesome of Bobby's cousins.  His aunt really had her work cut out for her.  The brothers were always hanging around Bobby, and to be honest, he didn't mind all that much.  But when he had to, Bobby would shoo them away to get to school on time or to get home before they made their mom worry too much.

"But-"  Hanbin started.  He pouted, looking like a child that got his candy stolen.

"Go to school."  Bobby said, ruffling their hair and pushing them in the other direction.  Jinhwan saw the scene from the front window of the apartment and wondered who they were.  

Bobby put his ear buds back in and continued walking to the gym.  After a short walk, he walked into the lobby of the gym and was greeted by Kang Seungyoon.  

"What's up Bobby?"  Seungyoon asked, fist bumping Bobby.  "Where were you yesterday?  It's not like you to miss a day."

"I had to help my new roommate move in.  I'll be here longer to make up for it, don't worry hyung."  He smiled and walked into the locker room to put his duffle bag into his locker.  The gym had just opened so there weren't many other people working out.  Bobby started out with a jog on a treadmill then moved on to lifting weights.  As he went through his work out, more people started showing up.  After he finished  lifting weights, Bobby went to one of the rooms with a sandbag.  He lost track of time and only stopped when his knuckles started hurting from punching so much.  

"Pabo, you have a fight on Saturday.  You can't be doing stuff like that to your hands."  Mino said from the doorway.

"Hyung... What are you doing here?"  Bobby asked as he wrapped his hand.

"I know you work out here all the time.  I want to see you win this weekend, so don't it up by hurting yourself now."  He turned around with his hands in his pockets and walked away.  Bobby just laughed to himself.  He changed his clothes and went back home, walking slower than normal.  It was only 12:45PM and he didn't have work until 8PM that night.  

Jinhwan heard the door unlock and froze.  He was just walking out of the shower and only had a towel around his waist.  Before Bobby could fully get through the doorway, Jinhwan had run from the bathroom to his room.  Bobby looked up after taking his shoes off and saw the small back of his roommate scurrying behind his bedroom door, a trail of wet foot prints behind him.  Bobby dropped his stuff by the kitchen and went straight to shower.  After his shower, Bobby promptly fell asleep on his bed, taking a nap so he wouldn't be so tired at work.

Bobby had woken up and was listening to music in his room when Jinhwan walked in.  It was the first time he had gone into the other's room and he was almost visibly nervous.

"Hey, I'm making ramen for dinner if you want some."  Jinhwan said shyly.  He backed out of the room and closed the door, going back to the kitchen to cook.  Bobby laughed, getting up from his bed.  His shirt didn't have sleeves and the front was folded weird, leaving almost half his chest exposed.  This was something Jinhwan noticed immediately when Bobby walked out of his room.  Luckily, he had cooking to distract him and could hide his blush.

Jinhwan finished cooking while Bobby set the small table.  There was an awkward silence as they sat down to eat.

"You're staring at me again."  Bobby said as he took a bite of his noodles, not lifting his head up.  Jinhwan's eyes grew wide with shock.

"W-What?  No I'm not."  He stuttered.  "Wait, again?  When did I do that?"  Jinhwan tried to deny it but he was a terrible liar.

"This morning I could feel you staring."  Bobby replied, meeting Jinhwan's eyes.

"Oh..."  Jinhwan's cheeks were burning and he found it hard to look up.  "I was just wondering what your tattoos meant."

"That's all?"

"Yeah..."

He pulled his shirt down to expose the music staff and explained, "This is the first few bars of the lullaby my mom would always sing to me when I was younger."  Fixing his shirt again, he explained the one on his back.  "The other is 'Fear only God.  Hate only sins.' and it was just something that really stuck with me."  There was another pause before Bobby spoke up again.  "Do you have any tattoos?"

"No, I wouldn't know what to get."

"If you ever want one, I suggest something that means a lot to you because then it won't lose its meaning.  At least I hope it wouldn't." 

"That's pretty smart."  Jinhwan nodded, thinking about something.  "Oh right, who was that guy yesterday?"

Bobby sighed, dropping his head.  "What?  If you don't want to say it it's okay, I'm sorry I pried."  Jinhwan said, the words coming out too fast when he saw Bobby's reaction, worried he had upset him,

"No, it's fine.  That was Junhoe, my ex.  He's still mad I broke up with him.  If he comes by again when I'm not home text me and don't answer the door."  

"Okay."  Jinhwan's heart was beating faster by the minute.  He just said he broke up with a guy.  Oh my God he's gay.  Jinhwan silently thanked God for leading him to that craigslist post. 

"We've only been talking about me.  Do you have any clingly exes I should be on the lookout for?"  Bobby laughed, trying to change the subject.

"Haha, he and I broke up before college.  We were going to different colleges and we didn't live close to each other, so we thought it wouldn't work out in the long run."  Jinhwan rambled, putting a little more emphasis on the "he" to make sure they were both on the same page.

"That's good.  The not needing to worry about someone coming to the door yelling for you, not about the breaking up part."  Nice one Bobby, he thought to himself.  They both laughed and went back to eating, the silence not as awkward as it was before.  They finished eating and Bobby insisted he do the dishes.  Jinhwan let him, going to get his books to study at the kitchen counter.  When Bobby finished washing the bowls and the pot, he turned to look at what Jinhwan was working on.

"What are you studying?"  Bobby asked, reading the open textbook over Jinhwan's shoulder.  Their faces were barely a foot apart, leaving Jinhwan a little short of breath.

"This is for my organic chemistry class.  Are you in college?"  

"I moved back to Korea for college but I didn't end up going."

"Moved back?"  Jinhwan looked puzzled.

"Yeah, I was born here but my family moved to America."  Bobby explained as he went to sit in the seat next to Jinhwan.  "I moved back a few years ago.  I'm trying to save up to visit them soon."  

"Oh, that's nice.  You must miss your family a lot then."  

"Yeah, what about your family?"  Bobby turned in his seat, spinning around like a little kid.

"Oh, they live in Jeju.  I try to visit but school takes a lot of my time.  It's almost summer though, so I'm hoping to visit them soon."  

"Okay, well I'll let you study."  Bobby pulled out his phone and checked the time, making sure he wouldn't be late to work.  He went into his room to put on jeans and a black button down and grabbed his keys and wallet.  "I have to go to work, I'll see you tomorrow."  He told Jinhwan, putting his ear buds in and opening the door.

Once Bobby was out of the apartment, Jinhwan dropped his head to the counter top and exhaled.

"He's gay, oh my God he's gay.  Aish Jinhwan, why are you being like this?  It's not high school anymore."  Jinhwan said to himself.  He tried to go back to studying but his thoughts kept drifting back to Bobby.  How his back was really y, but his abs were even ier.  How his eyes dissapeared into crescents when he smiled.  How he looked kind of like a bunny when he smiled.  Soon, Jinhwan fell asleep on his textbook, thinking about Bobby.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AN: Any feed back is welcome!!  I have an idea of where it is going to go but if you want to suggest something I'm open to your ideas  <3 <3 thanks for reading