The New Boy

Across Time

Two men are currently standing side by side in a balcony, facing the side of where the mountain range and the thick forest of Korea is overlooking. Their shoulders are both slouched, an evidence of tiredness of their physical body. As both men had their hands at their back, the one with the sacred dragon emblem decided to break the tensed and heavy silence.

“Min-jun, you have a daughter?” King Myung-joo asked as he looked to the man at his right side. He failed to notice the flinch his Prime Minister and long-time friend made upon hearing the question. As his loyal subordinate failed to answer an easy question immediately, he looked at him for any sign of trouble.

“That it right, Jeonha. Three to be exact,” answered the Prime Minister after sensing that the King might have sensed his hesitation.

“How old are they?” the King continuously inquired.

“The eldest, Seungyeon is 16 years old. Then Soo-jin and Jungyeon are 15 and 14 years old respectively, Jeonha.”

“Ah. They are already young ladies. Quite dignified I believe, considering you are their father, Min-jun.” he chuckled as he compliment his Prime Minister.

“You honor me so, Jeonha But I beg to disagree. My wife worked the most in molding them. To be honest, these days, I’ve been questioning myself whether I became a good father to them,” Min-jun replied.

Once again, the King looked at the man who evidently has his spirits down these days. Putting his arms on the Min-jun’s shoulder, “You’re not only one Min-jun. I bet every father have, one time in their lives, thought the same. Even kings like me.” The King stopped momentarily, as if recollecting some memories before continuing. “Even so, it would be lovely to meet your daughters. Bring them to the palace banquet next time.”

Min-jun felt defeated. The history is repeating itself, he thought and it worries him so. “I would be honoured, Jeonha,” frustrating that this is the only way he could respond in this kind of situation.

 

Stillness came back to the balcony, only to be interrupted by Eunuch Han minutes later. With him is the report the men have been waiting for the entire morning. The King asked for the summary of it.

 “It seems that your suspicions were correct, Jeonha. Some servants from the Song Yangban have been spotted hording the supply of salt from China to their warehouses. Then they would release it to the market in a higher price,” Eunuch Han reported.

Closing his eyes as he listened intently and attentively, the King continued “And them? What about them?” The King waited for the answer, hoping that it’s contrary to what they believed. But the odds were against him.

“Unfortunately, they are involved Jeonha,” the Eunuch answered.

Yoo Min-jun watched the His Majesty’s chest went up and down deeply. A week ago, the King ordered his company on an underground investigation of salt market in the Southern Province. A highly confidential document was slipped into the Majesty’s documents of monopoly and price increase, causing massive poverty among the people. Moreover, there were allegations of corruption of some of his prime ministers.  The King hoped that those were untrue. Unfortunately, this report has confirmed them all.

The sudden entry of Taejo Daejang of King’s army seemed to have additional burden to the mind to the King.

“Jeonha,” Taejo Daejang sounded defeated.

“Speak up.”

“I have received report that the leader of Song yangban has been missing since last night,” The great general bowed down until his upper body is at 90 degrees angle with his lower half.

As if he could still close his eyes further that it is right now, more creases have appeared on the King’s face. “That’s unfortunate, Daejang,” he said. Their situation is tightening and he has to make decisions on still insufficient amount of information.

“With the number of hours that have passed since them, what is the safest assumption we can have?” Taejo Daejang swallowed his saliva before answering the King. “Death, Jeonha.”

The King has already seen this happening but never expected it to occur so fast. Finally arriving to a decision, he finally turned to his subordinates and issued the order.

It seems that the enemy has sensed us. We must go back to the Capital immediately to pull out the roots of this mess.”

 

The Yoo household is now on uproar. In any minute now, the Master’s party will arrive from their long journey with the King. It was just this morning that they have received a letter, informing them of the immediate arrival. Servants have continuously running back and forth preparing food for the Masters and his company. The Madam and the three daughters are requested to prepare.

Yoo Ha-eun has been anxious since receiving the letter from his husband this morning. The normal travel time from the South back to the Capital takes almost two days. To achieve it within a day means trouble, no doubt about it. Something must have gone wrong with their investigation, she thought.  Her restlessness might have been so obvious, she felt her daughter’s hand on her’s.

“Eomonim,” Seungyeon’s voice got her mother’s attention to look at her. “You have to relax. We will hear about the whole story soon.”

“I know, but it’s hard not to worry. It seems that the pieces of the puzzle are going wrong and we are yet to figure out why.”

Seungyeon knows her mother is right. Her father has the tendency to keep her mother out of discussions to matters like this. For her, it’s not right. A family is built primarily by conjugation of a wife and husband. To make the household running and functional would mean an informed wife since it’s the wife who plays as the nerves of a home, especially for a big one like there’s.

 

A female servant who also served as Yoo Mamanim’s primary confidant approached the two of them and whispered something to her mother. Afterwards, the noble woman asked her servant to call the person in. Minutes later, a young man who Seungyeon thought is about her age entered the room and bowed to them. She took note of how his hair is in down and unkempt and his pair of black of jeogori and baji. A sword can be seen hanging at his left waist.

“Seungyeon, this young man here is Jonghyun-ssi. He will be your guard from this day forward,” her mother informed.

A still puzzled Seungyeon, whose curiosity on the young man still lingers in her mind, failed to process what her mother has just said. “Guard for whom, eomanim?” she said for clarification, believing she’s hearing the wrong thing.

“You, my daughter.”

The daughter blinked twice as the reality is slowly dawning upon her. “Me? But why?” she asked.She tried to keep her cool but her voice betrayed her.

“Your father’s order.”

Her breathing became heavy in disbelief. “Why do I need to have him at my side, mother? I don’t—“

“Mamanim, agasshi, Juennim’s horses are already spotted nearby.” Seungyeon was interrupted by a servant’s sudden call.

“I see. Thank you,” replied the Madam. Turning to her daughter, “Seungyeon, we better get going,” as she stood up and started walking towards the main gate of their house.

Left with the guard she was just introduced to, Seungyeon’s mouth was left hanging. Too many things are running through her mind. Too many questions left unanswered. As she slowly stood up from her place, she looked into the eyes of the young man fiercely.  She wanted to shout and pour her anger to the man in front of her but she knew that doing so would not solve anything.

 

Before leaving the room, she got closer to the man. “Let’s go,” she commanded.

The man bowed and followed her. She’s definitely going to ask her father about this. And would not leave him until this man is removed from her sight.

 

_______

Hi Chingus,

I edited the last chapter. I've been feeling guilty in the past two days. I perceived that I have done something wrong with the last chapter. Too many actually. I made Seungyeon's character OC and their first encounter not strong enough. Sorry about that.

Hopefully, you'll enjoy this revised version better.

Oh, it seems that JH and SY would be out of character at some point in the future. Cause right now, I'm instinctively making Lady Min's character as reference in developing SY's character here.

Thank you for those who subscribed. I'll be careful in the next updates of succeeding chapters.

Hopefully, I'll be able to update this evening too.

 

Lovelots,

Kiara <3