Suspicious Figures

Across Time

JongHyun found himself in great struggle. The market is a place of opportunities for attacks, he has two people to protect and yet his hands are full—full with foods.

 “Mandu!” Seungyeon excitedly shouted and pointed at a dumpling stall across the street. As if it’s their first time to see or eat one, the two sibling run-off rapidly to buy the hot, steaming mandu. JongHyun has no choice but to follow them.

He still can’t believe it that within the last 20 minutes since they entered the place, the Yoo sisters had already bought and ate a variety of street foods. They buy for him and their sisters too that’s why he’s now juggling the pack of foods for Soo-jin as well as eating his share. Apparently, it seems that the both of them had already forgotten why they went there in the first place.

“JongHyun-ssi, what do you like?” JeongYeon asked him while they are waiting for the dumplings to be cooked.

“Anything My Lady.”

“There’s no flavour called ‘anything’, Mister,” JeongYeon snorted at him.

“Very well. Then, may I have the fried one,” JongHyun answered in defeat. Smiling slyly at him, JeongYeon ordered his share. Few minutes later, the three of them are already munching their own mandu orders while continuing their stroll in the market.

For the Yoo ladies, this is a rare opportunity to bond. It was these last several years that Seungyeon realized that she has little memory of talking, bonding or doing things with her younger sisters. She must have been busy who studies that it was just recently that she learned JeongYeon really eats a lot; that Soo-jin loves teasing and they have too much aegyo in their own bodies. What have I done with myself, she would often ask herself.

“Eonnie, let’s take a look at that accessory store. We might find something we will like,” JeongYeon suddenly said and pointed at a nearby stall. It’s selling various pins and brooch of different colors and designs. All were pretty for them except for one that caught SeungYeon’s attention.

It’s a light green, circular binyeo, probably made of jade, designed with golden vines with pearl on the middle. Surrounding the white gemstone are yellow freesia. The design may be simple but it gives off the vibes of a refreshing spring.

“Would you like to buy that, Eonnie?” Jeongyeon caught her clutching and feeling the engraved designs of the pin.

“No. I just thought it’s beautiful.” Seungyeon lied. “Did you like anything from here?”

JeongYeon shaked her head. “Should we go to the next one?” she suggested. The sisters started walking away again.

 

All those that happened did not escape JongHyun’s attention and hurriedly looked for the pin Seungyeon held. Aside from the fact that he likes green things, over-all the pin is simple and elegant—two best ways to describe Seungyeon. Without further ado, he bought the pin and had the merchant place it in an equally beautiful box.

He got her another gift again. The feelings are mixed. Of course, he’s excited to surprise her with it but felt scared at the thought that she might not accept it. Knowing SeungYeon, she might think that he went overboard. As he is thinking of possible reasons to give her in case she asked, he felt JeongYeon pulling his soul and consciousness back to his body.

“JongHyun-ssi, where’s Eonnie?”

Puzzled by the question, JongHyun face made crunches as he is feeling something bad with her questions. “What did you mean, My Lady?”

“I thought Eonnie is with you. We were just separated in an instant ‘cause we inspected separate shops and then I can’t find her anymore. Thought she’s with you---“

Gradually, the horror of what had happened became clearer to the two. Pushing the packages of food he held to JeongYeon, he held his sword tightly and run through the crowd, not caring whether he bump hard to another person. At this moment, he only knew one thing:

SEUNGYEON IS MISSING.

 

 

Despite the rainfall of sunlight outside, the room remained dim. If it’s not for the cup of light coming from the wooden railing high on the wall as well as the single gas lamp laid on the table, Park Bo Gum would neither be able to converse well with the man sitting across him or a bunch of black dressed men surrounding them.

“What do you think, Sir? Would you accept our offer?” The strangest man he’d ever seen, Merchant Park took note of the chilling tiny timbre of the man’s voice as he continuously flaps the fan on his hand in spite of the cold temperature.

“It’s hard to decide right now, Li Sung-ssi. I admit what you’re offering to me right now is quite tempting. However, you should understand that it has a lot of risks.” He saw the man’s already small eyes turn smaller. The fancy violet color he applied on his face didn’t help in any way to make his obvious foul mood lighter. “Can you give me 3 days to decide?” he asks in nervousness.

Li Sung abruptly closed his fan and leaned closer so Bo Geum. “That would not do, Sir. You see, there are other merchants out there who I think would be willing to cooperate with us. You are not special, in case you were not aware of that fact.” The room suddenly turned chiller and this man is the reason of it. As if he can it, Bo Geum is sure that he can see blood lust from him. He’s in a dire situation. If he agrees to this, the palace would consider him a criminal in case this transaction would be revealed.  On the other hand, there’s a high probability that this man would kill him if he turned him down.

“Who’s that?!” He was suddenly interrupted by the frantic shout of Li Sung who immediately stood straight and ordered his man to check if someone is outside. The cold room became tensed in an instant. Li Sung tried to calm himself but it’s obvious to Bo Geum that he felt some panic on the possibility that someone might have heard what they were talking. The man sent outside returned after several minutes and whispered to Li Sung who then turned to him.

“I’m sorry that we have to end our talk in such manner. But we had an emergency. I’ll be sending one of my man tomorrow for your answer. Sorry for the bother.” Li Sung was smiling weirdly while saying this before turning to his men and went ahead.

Securing meters away from Bo Geum’s house, Li Sung commanded his men to stop the palanquin.

“Cheon Su.” He said followed by one of the men who approached him. “You know what to do.”  Answered by a nod and their emergency retreat resumed.

 

 

SeungYeon’s eyes were darting from left to right, scouting for any potential weapon against this man binding her from behind whose hand was over to keep her shut. She keeps on making noises and struggling from his tight hold.

“Would you stay still? I am not going to hurt you,” the man said. “I can’t believe that a Yoo lady would be acting like this,” he added.

That’s trouble, SeungYeon thought to herself. This man knew from which family he came from. The family would be in trouble because of her stupid fololishness. Now, more than ever, she’s desperate to free herself and began hopping like crazy. However, the man’s strength remained and she has no choice but to use the special technique.

The man was surprised that he finally calmed down. “Oh! You must have used all you---! Ah!!!” He felt something hard hit his shin. It was so strong, he thought that his two balls have cracked and would be impossible to cure. As he was still recovering from the impact, Seungyeon bite his right hand hand so hard that he finally let her go. Taking it as an advantage, Seungyeon ran the fastest manner ever in her life.

Out of breather, she made her final push of her lungs before stopping. Looking at her back for any traced of the man who captured her, she took her time to breath and calm the erratic beating of her heart. Observing her unfamiliar surroundings, SeungYeon began to look for any traces of her sister and JongHyun when a man suddenly gripped her in a recently familiar manner.

“That was one hell of a kick, My Lady. You got me there.” SeungYeon trembled at the sight of the same man from whom she escaped from. “I was expecting a simple thank you from I should be thanking you for this experience.” He creepily winked at her and SeungYeon shivered from it. Closing her eyes, waiting for her soon demise, she heard an icy, familiar voice nearby.

“LET. HER. GO.” Opening her eyes, she saw a sword on the man’s neck whose blade was centimeters apart from the side of his neck.  SeungYeon saw JongHyun’s eyes in a way she never seen before. His usual warm stare became cold like that of murderer. His sweet smile that she likes is gone behind the poker face.

“JongHyun-ssi”, she whispered, an expression of not liking what she’s seeing from him. She felt her hand free from her capturer. Distancing herself from the two men, JongHyun immediately circled towards her while his sword remained pointing on the man. Holding her tightly that it hurts her wrist, JongHyun pulled her towards him and embraced her protectively. “Let’s go.” He said and they ran together away from the scene.

 

 

Since the winter is coming near, the days are shorter in Joseon. It might be around 4 in the afternoon but the sun is now closer to the horizon, ready to sleep behind the mountains. Two figures were standing, one is panting so hard while bending down to her knees while the other remained steady and silent.

“My Lady.” JongHyun’s voice sent chills to Seungyeong’s nerves. She had experienced too much this day – a mixture of fun and suspense. However, she bet that what is yet to come would be the worst.

“Who is that man?”

“I don’t know.”

“Why are you with him?”

SeungYeon hesitated to answer since she believes it would just add oil to the flame. “He helped me escape from---“

“Escape from whom? Where did you go?”

“W-Well, I overheard a transaction between a mysterious man wearing the Song Yangban sigil and merchant Park Bo Geum.” Seungyeon tried to look him in the eyes as she explain. “Y-You see, I heard them pla---“

“DO YOU REALIZE HOW DANGEROUS THAT IS!” JongHyun’s bottled temperance blow up. SeungYeon saw his face flared up and veins on his temple and neck seemed to have popped out due to anger.

“I know. Sorry.” SeungYeon is aware of the difference in their social status and what’s JongHyun is doing right now is against the rule. No one from lower class cannot raise their voice against members of noble families. But the rules do not matter right now. JongHyun is right and she had done something terrible.

 Now that he has released his fume, JongHyun began to regret his previous actions. Learning  that SeungYeon lost at his watch made him loose his temperance which happens rarely. In actuality, he’s not angry with SeungYeon. Instead, he’s angry with himself for letting his guard down despite being aware of their situation.

“Sorry, My Lady. I didn’t mean to shout.” He expressed his thoughts. SeungYeon felt guilty for making him feel sorry for the things she have done.

“No, no. You didn’t have to. You all have the right to shout. However, I admit you’re really scary when you’re angry.” The both chuckled at the situation they were in. The day had been crazy- it started with action, then drama, adventure, suspense and laughter.

“Seriously, My Lady. Don’t ever do that again. If you get curious of something again, allow me to accompany you. Please don’t let me feel guilty again. I thought I’m going crazy back there.” He pleaded with smile. In his mind, no matter what, he would never let this happen again.  SeungYeon nodded in agreement.

“Eonnie!” From her behind, they heard JeongYeon’s frantic voice and running steps. SeungYeon felt her hug her hard from behind. “I’ve been worried. Where have you been, huh? Did you get hurt?” JeongYeon started crying.

SeungYeon turned towards her to embrace her back to console her. “Shhh. Nothing bad happened. I’m sorry to make you worry.”

The whimpers of JeongYeon filled the darkening night. They remained in that position until she had calmed down until a disturbing noise came out of JeongYeon’s tummy.

“Looks like I got hungry worrying.” They laughed out loud like there’s no tomorrow and all the stress of the day faded away to join the sun.

“Come on. I’ll treat you both to gopchang and chicken feet. I know a place where they cook it deliciously.” SeungYeon pulled JeongYeon ahead while JongHyun followed them behind as he began to sweat upon hearing of chicken feet.

________

Hello friends,

It's been a while *cries*. i know I've promised to return after 3 days but the past week had been hell. I'm sorry for this late reply.

Hopefully, you'll enjoy this again. Thank you to those who continue waiting and reading my story. from the bottom of my heart, I sincerely wish we could meet personally someday so I can express my gratitude.

 

Lovelots,

Kiara <3