The Old House of Yoo

Across Time

* DISCLAIMER: All historical figures mentioned here are based of real person. However, their connections written are purely fictional and for entertainment purposes alone.

_______

 

A sudden surge of coldness froze their every nerves that they were not able to move for some minutes. Their feet are numb and so their hands. Min-jun watched her daughters’ faces change from shocked, to disbelief then horror.

“H-How? It’s the first time we heard of this, Father,” asked Jungyeon who was the first to recover herself after being shocked by their Father’s expose.

“Of course, it will be the first time because the previous King made in order not to talk about that tragedy anymore.

“How did the previous King come into picture?” Seungyeon questioned.

“It’s because Soo Young eonnie was the crowned princess before King Myung-joo married the current Queen,” explained Min-joo. “Before her, there was a crowned princess too but died at age of 14 when she gave birth to current Crowned Prince. Because it is a must that there will be a crowned princess so that anytime that the former King died or abdicate the throne, the stability of the kingdom will not be affected. The selection was in a rush and various noble and wealthy family were asked to submit names immediately.” Memories rushed to Min-jun to those life-changing days. He was at the academy back then and classmate with the current King so it’s natural for them to have first-hand account of the happenings inside the palace grounds.

“The submission process was a mixed a feelings for the family who submitted. Of course, there were those who were enthusiastic at the prospective idea of having a family member became queen. But others like ours, were skeptical. Our family have been serving the Royal Family for centuries so we know for a fact that the Inner Palace managed by the Queen was way deadlier than the Outer. Even the King cannot intervene in there. People disappear and die there without people even knowing about it.”

“So, did you submit Aunt’s name?” Soo-jin asked.

“After evaluating, we decided not to. We cannot risk any more lives within our family,” answered Min-jun.

“But, how then did Aunt Soo Young became crowned princess?”

“It was the former Queen,” Min-jun’s face became strained, obvious that he hated that memory of the morning, when the Queen arrived in their home and expressed her disappointment and discontentment with the list of candidates she received. “She ‘forced’ our family to submit a name. She said she wanted eonnie. We can’t say no this time. At 16 years old, Soo Young eonnie was married to then Prince Bang-soon and became the crowned princess.” The memory of that lavish ceremony still lingers in his mind- Soo Young walking down the aisle with her expensive, red and blue colored ceremonial gold-plated dress. Staring at her back from the audience, he began to accept that that her eonnie will no longer be theirs. She now belongs to the King and the people. Yes, that day, the king earned a wife, the people earned a new princess but for him, the ceremony robbed him off of his beautiful, kind and eonnie.

“How was her life in the palace then?” Seungyeon asked. This flood of information has been too much for her. She bet it’s the same with her sisters. But to back down from this is too late.  She believes that to remain in the dark about issues such as this might prove itself a matter of life and death for them in the future.  

“From her letters, she said she was okay. The Royal family took good care of her. The Queen Dowager helped her adjust. The Crowned Prince treated her well. She treated his son as her’s. Although there are times that she said it was like a prison in there, it appeared to us that within the six years she stayed in there, the poison of the Inner Palace didn’t reach her.”

Min-jun realized he is at his most dreaded part of this story. He paused for a moment to breathe. Closing his eyes to help him relax and find his composure. Feeling that he has achieved it, he finally opened his eyes and look at his daughters. “Then one morning, we received a letter.” The young ladies saw a lump went down their father’s throat before he began speaking again. “We received a letter, informing us that she died the night before.”

Dumb-founded, the Yoo sisters didn’t know what to reply or how to react. “Why?! How?!” Those were the only things that escaped Jungyeon’s mouth.

“The Royal doctors said it was heart failure. They said that it could be caused by the stressful situation of her position. You see, she’s been under a lot of pressure to produce an offspring.  But we believe it’s not.”

“How can you say so?”

“Sure, Soo Young eonnie had weak heart when we were kids however, she’s been under strict diet and medication since then. At age 10, she can beat me whenever we had race in here. She has also had positive outlook in life. But more than these, the actions of the King made it suspicious more which was to cease talking about the incident ever again. Also, he didn’t allowed any deeper investigation on other possibilities if the incident. She could have had been poisoned however, they rushed her burial and next selection for the next crowned princess. That’s why you never heard that Soo Young eonnie was the crowned princess before.”

“But if it’s not her health, then what do you think was the reason?”

“We believed that it’s through curse. Someone asked a shaman to curse her. A very strong curse slithered through her chamber that night and killed her in a blink of an eye.”

Contemplating about it, Seungyeon arrived at the conclusion that the King could have been made a wise decision on ceasing any further investigation. It hard to find evidences for this claim. The struggle would last and moving on would be longer than needed. Yet, the biggest question remained: “Who cursed her?”

“You Grandfather, the former Prime Minister, believed that it was one among the Left Ministers. If Eonnie will become Queen, then our family’s power and influence to the court will be stronger than it was which something they can’t afford.”

These days, many women wished in their entire life to be noticed by the King and become part of the Royal Family just because of the glamor you will live in. However, behind the glitter is the dark, political side of anything. The primary role of the Queen is to give birth to the heir to the crown. Below it is to manage the Inner Palace. Remove those things, a Queen is just a figure of political influence. In the Joseon court, a queen can be ousted anytime if her political support is weak. Several queens and crowned princesses in the past served as living proof of this during their existence. And this is the reality unknown to most.

“Our suspicion became stronger when the next elected crowned princess came from the opposing party. Unfortunately, we can’t prove our belief. The people may have forgotten her, but deep in our hearts, Soo Young eonnie’s memory as well as our thirst to give her justice remains alive.”

The sun has set in the west and darkness was slowly covering the Yoo mansion. Shadow started to form behind the four figures inside Prime Minister Min-joo’s room. The candle remains to flicker while the three women remained unmoving from their seats.

“Father, you said that our blood became the foundation of this country. Did some of our ancestors experienced something like this in the past?” Jungyeon asked that breaks the tranquillity of the surroundings.

Min-joo seated upright again to answer the query. “Yes.”

“Who were they?” Jungyeon followed up.

“There were just two that I know well of. One was King Munjon’s wife, Queen Ja Hyun was ousted because she can’t produce an heir. Her father was able to access her records and found out that her daily tonic for years had been mixed with an herb that makes her womanhood weak and unable to support childbearing.  The other one was Queen Jeheon. She was sentenced to death by her own husband, King Seongjong because she hurt him. The annals said she’s a temperamental woman but I hear my grandfather said that she’s not. Further investigation on her medications later revealed it was mixed with herbs causing hallucinations. Other than them, I am not sure. I have reviewed our genealogy and saw that other women members of the family had been sent to the palace. Of what happened to them, I have no idea.”

Now that the truth has been revealed, Seungyeon finally understands the concern of their father. She almost her for every restrain they experienced, especially her. Thankful that it didn’t come into that point.

“I understand, Father. Your constant fear for us, you stopping me to meddle with these affairs and lastly, Jonghyun’s presence at my side. I understand now. Thank you for telling us the truth.” She had been tired, and so her sisters and Fathers. Seungyeon bet that it’s better to give him time to regain his energy. Turning to her sisters for confirmation, Seungyeon announced their exit.

“We leave you now, Father. To give you time to rest.” As they are about to stand and leave, their Father interjected.

“But that is just half of the truth. Especially, in your case Seungyeon.”

 

____

Hi Friends,

Another update for you guys! Sorry if its late. I cleaned and arranged my things yesterday so I was so tired. Anyway, thank you for those who left comments of encouragment and subscribed to my story. Also, thank you for the one who voted up. THANK YOU!!!!!!!

As always, hope you enjoy this another offering.

 

Lovelots,

Kiara <3