Sudden Request

Across Time

“Where have you get yourself into, huh? How did you hurt yourself this way?” Seungyeon isn’t exactly looking at the man she’s talking to because she’s busy applying herbal medication to his injury. JongHyun winced in pain.

“My friend and I had some sparring. Got a little rough and serious with each other.” JongHyun had a hard time steadying even his own voice. His voice might have already given her some hint of doubt. Knowing himself really well for being a pretty bad liar, he is secretly thankful right now that Seungyeon is too focused on treating him and was not able to see his face. Otherwise, she’ll realize he’s lying to her. He knows himself really wellJongHyun is a pretty bad liar and he is secretly thankful Seungyeon is too focused on what she’s doing. She did not see his face because for sure she’ll know right away that he is not telling the truth.

A bunch of crunched plant leaves, Seungyeon is using its extract to reduce any possibility of wound infection. Glad that their Father had them learn first aid despite their status, she’s used on treating her own wounds whenever she cut herself from playing the gayageum too much or get hurt for being too playful and daring for her own good.

Possibly a side effect of either the medication itself or him getting used to the pain of his own wound, JongHyun’s currently feeling numb on his right arm. He didn’t realize how serious his wound is until Seungyeon dragged him to the veranda- her sanctuary- a while ago. JongHyun blushed at the memory of how she held his hand for the first time and how his heart had pounded so hard against his chest. At first, he thought it would be all of that. However, the aroma of her air that is filling his nostrils right now keeps on reminding him of that and their awkward situation.

The both of them immediately slumped on the floor upon entering the place. Seungyeon asked him to stay on his place while she rummaged through her things to prepare the leaves. He sat there, crossed-leg while watching her make the treatment. Soon, their situation gradually dawn onto him: they are alone, in this veranda that despite having open walls can still be considered an enclosed space. His heart started thumping at the thought but it almost jumped out of its encasement when Seungyeon suddenly sat closely in front of him and began the treatment. Her touch on his arm sent electrying signals throughout his body. Her head is so close, it has invaded his personal space and just inches away from his face. To make matters worse for him, she’s so oblivious of their position, he has to keep his guard up for any unexpected occurrences. Any move of Seungyeon to face him would definitely create a mess never in his life would have imagined to happen.

“What kind of blade did your friend use?” Her voice cut JongHyun’s reverie. Hoping that she still hasn’t notice his cold sweats, he asked why she asks.

“Well, it made a quite unique mark. I may not have treated a word wound before but I read it from books that it would usually leave a clean cut on flesh. Yours is different. It has tiny stems on both side. The cut on the flesh is ragged too.” Trying to convince him of the what she has observed, Seungyeon suddenly turned her head up. Bad move, she realized immediately as she finally found herself staring directly at JongHyun’s eyes. Not only that, their nose and mouth are almost touching, she can feel and smell his breathe.

His breathe smells nice, she blushed at her own thought. Gathering her composure and trying to hide the sudden flush on her face, she makes a distance between them enough for JongHyun to comfortably and clearly inspect his own wound.  

That moment is what JongHyun has been trying to prepare himself for. Thought that he had his heart ready by repeated simulation of it in his mind, still, the reality is a whole new level. It take him sometime before he can act accordingly on the situation and do as he is told. Upon seeing it, he realized Seungyeon is right. Indeed, the cut is strange and it poked both his interest and alarm. If their hunch is correct, then the cause of this is a rare blade and it is usual that these blades are custom made. To have one is expensive which goes down to a two hypothesis: either their enemies the night before belong to a wealthy and aristocratic family or they were paid to do it and were just given the blade. Either way, JongHyun thought that this is important in tracking the enemy.

“Let me finish it up for you,” SeungYeon cut off his trail of thoughts. Surprise to find her near him again but this time, with a significant distance between them, she got a white, long clean piece of cloth to wrap his injury with. Stillness fell on them until she had finished what she is doing.

“Thank you for this, My Lady. I better get back to work now,” he attempted to stand up and return to his post outside the room to guard it when SeungYeon halted him from his tracks.

“You should not be moving a lot. It’s not that serious but its deeper than you expect. It might open up. Stay here for a while and rest. Besides, I’m not going anywhere.” The young Lady Yoo has gotten back her calm self as she sets her table in front of her and began spreading rice paper on it. Then she ground her ink stone with a piece of wood until she got the proper consistency for writing.

It took SeungYeon a while to prepare the things she need. On the other hand, she’s been under constant observation of JongHyun who saw her bring out the calligraphy bursh he gave her. It’s a new feeling for him and he learned that it melts a man’s heart to see the woman you like cherish something you gave her.

“I have this hobby of writing in calligraphy names of friends and acquaintances as a gift. And because I have nothing to give you in return to this brush you gave me,” Seungyeon stared at him with the bright amber eyes he has been loving for years, JongHyun knew she’s gradually recovering. He saw smiling at him while giving him him the brush and pushed a piece paper towards him. “How do you write your name, JongHyun-ssi?”

Waving his hands in defiance, he tries to persuade her that there’s no need at all. However, she insists and there’s nothing he can do about it.

“But I have a very poor penmanship, My Lady. I fear you would not be able to understand,” he took his last bet.

“That would not be your problem. It’s my problem so hurry up and write.” She said smirking at him. In actuality, it’s not for the brush alone that she’s doing this. Seungyeon’s spirits came back alive after talking to him. If it’s not with his kind and sincere words, she bet she would not be able to recover from her dilemma in weeks. The calligraphy, she thought, would not be enough on how much she is thankful for his presence.

JongHyun just finished his writing, anxious that the lady in front would laugh at his writing. However, she did not and instead, keep it delicately with her things.

“I’m not used to someone watching me write so I’ll do so when I’m alone.” She admitted shyly. By then then heard a thumping sound from nearby followed by a shouting JungYeon who rushed to her Eonnie’s place while carrying a scroll with Royal Seal with her.

Still crying to catch her breath, a silent ping rang in the youngest Yoo ‘s head when she saw her sister and JongHyun-ssi together. Whatever happened, it must be good, she concluded. She’s so worried of her Eonnie who had been trying to distance herself from the family for days. Yet now, she feels her in brighter mood.  He must have done something, she thought.

“What’s with the rush, JungYeon-ah?”

“A Eunuch from the palace came a while ago to bring this,” she showed the two older fellow. They recognize the seal on the spot and inquired about its content.

“Invitation, Eonnie. To the banquet. At the Palace. King’s Birthday.” JungYeon struggled with her answer.

“It’s for Father, JungYeon-ah. Why give it to me?”

“Not for Father this time. It’s for us.” JungYeon dropped the bomb and it seems effective when she witnessed her Eonnie looked at her in disbelief. “Apparently, the King is inviting us to the celebration.”

Snatching the scroll from her sister, Seungyeon read the letter in a hurry. Left astounded by the fact they’ve been invited by no less than the King himself, it makes things more puzzling for her. Only palace officials were sent for these occasions.

“But why?”

“I don’t know. That’s why I am here. Mother asked me to inform you and began preparing. The banquet is in two weeks. In the presence of the Royal Family, we have to be presentable. Let’s go town and scout for the newest cloth.”

“Go with Soo-jin, then. You know that in this house, she’s the best in these things.” SeungYeon attempts to argue. But her resolve this time is weaker. She’s been aching to explore the market these days but can’t because JongHyun was still away.”

“You know she’s assigned with leading the sewing. It’s either you that or you accompany me, right now.” JungYeon has given her the ultimatum. Hearing her choices, her resolved crumbled to pieces and raised the white flag to her sister. Turning to JongHyun who has been an observer the entire time, she asks if he had rested enough.

“Would you go with us then?”

Smiling at her request, he stood up and held his sword tightly. “Gladly, My Lady.”  

 

______

Annyeong!

Another update for you guys! Hope you will like it.

I have to be away for the next three days. I have a demo teaching tomorrow in the city. Even so, I'll still try to update tomorrow. Then the day after, we will be going to the funeral of my uncle.

So, bear with me again this time, friends.

Always thanking you all for the support.

Lovelots,

Kiara

 

P.S.: Ideally, things will be getting exciting from now on. A new character will be introduced. Hopefully, I'll be able to write it beautifully. <3