Cursed Child

Across Time

Joseon’s famous misty morning remains floating on its surroundings, sign of a low temperature that greeted its every citizen. Slowly, stalls in the market are opening. It is not an uncommon sight to see mothers of ordinary families have begun cooking breakfast for their respective families to replenish the needed energy to face the day ahead. While, in aristocratic abode like of that of Yoo’s, the servants have been busy as worker bees. The Prime Minister is about to head to the palace for work when two horses are heard nearby. Jun-seo and JongHyun are just right on time.

Leaving the matter of explaining things of the things that had happened to Min-joo, Jun-seo set himself to accompany his friend to the palace while JongHyun is left to return to his post at SeungYeon’s side. Seeing his dis-shelve self due to the previous encounter, especially the wound he acquired from the fight, JongHyun goes first to the servant’s quarters to change the dressing of his wounds and change into the spare clothes he had kept. From his usual black clothing, he now wears a blue jeogori and beige baji. Finally placing his sword at his side, he goes to Seungyeon’s quarters.

Expecting the he’ll waiting outside her doors until she wakes up before he pays his respect, JongHyun is surprised to see her in outside. Gone with her usual dark blue hanbok, Seungyeon adored herself a maroon colored one as she strolls through the garden in front of her room and staring into nothing, obviously in deep thought.

“My Lady,” he tried to get her attention expecting that she would get mad at her for not saying anything before leaving for a long time or an inquiry on why is he still there when her father had released him from his post. On the contrary, Seungyeon responded with an unenthusiastic “Oh, JongHyun-ssi. Welcome back” without even turning to face him.

Her spirits are down, he thoughts. What could have possibly happened while he is gone to make her like this? Gone with the lively and hardworking girl who sneaks Analects in her room to read. Gone with the stubborn woman who would involve herself to things she isn’t supposed to. “Sorry for the late return, My Lady.” He tries to stimulate her to talk but gained nothing. He decided to keep silent for its likely that it’s the thing she wants the most.

A sudden gush of cold wind has made the peony flowers in the garden sway on their place. The leaves of the trees have started humming with it yet the two figures below remained silent. JongHyun is about to violate the rue of not meddling with other’s affairs when Seungyeon takes the initiative of the conversation.

“Where have you been, JongHyun-ssi?” Seungyeon’s back remained facing her. JongHyun begins choosing which of the activities he had done should he use as an answer. “Father and I visited our family up in the North, My Lady.”

“I see.” Seungyeon kneel down to get a better look of the flowers on the bushes. “So how were they?”

“They were very well. In fact, they are on their way now to China for vacation.” Technically, it’s a refuge yet on the other way, it’s still a vacation.

“That’s good to hear.” For the first time, he sees Seungyeon smiled a bit. Taking his chances, JongHyun asks the question he’s been meaning to ask.

“My Lady, please excuse my rudeness.” He waited for her confirmation. It is then he sees her eyes once more. Far from the amber-colored ones he loves the most for years, her eyes now are all in red. Was it due to lack of sleep or endless crying? Has she been crying since the last incident? Black bags has started forming beneath her those orbs.

“What is it?” she asks.

“Have you seen your Analects?” Seungyeon finally endowed him with a smile. Standing from her position, she looks lovingly at the trees before reciting the poem that she has read for countless of times.

Something about you that I truly admire,

You’re way of thinking is so good,

Guides people out of the words.

 

It’s fascinating to see you talk to yourself

Your rolling eyes, hand under your chin

Seeing thing beyond what others can

Is truly an amazing thing.

 

You’re a combination of special and rare

A man in a woman’s clothing

Sharp as knife, graceful as swan

Truly a gift that should be unravel.

 

You’re unique mind, I do understand.

Next to you is where I stand

Wherever, Whenever, Whatever it is

I’ll always be there, you’ll see.

 

JongHyun is perplexed to hear the poem he made in a haste from her own voice. Frustrated that he can’t do anything when she was crying in the veranda by herself, he thought of ways he could do to cheer her up. That’s why seeing the scattered pieces of poem written through calligraphy in her room when he brought her made him decide to write that before they depart the next morning. He never expected her to like it, moreover, to memorize it like that.

 

“I’ve loss the number of times I’ve read your gift, JongHyun-ssi. I can’t determine how or why, but it gives me strength whenever I’m down.” Seungyeon shyly approached him to give her the proof of how much the poem meant to her. “I’ve made this through the week. I had my sister teach me for days because I’m not really good at it.” With a feeling of anxiousness, Seungyeon gives the man in front of her the handkerchief she pain-staking decorated with embroidery and calligraphy. The sewing part was so much of a hell for her but the writing saved her sanity. “Thank you, JongHyun-ssi.”

 

This time, JongHyun witnessed her eyes and lips coordinated perfectly to form the best smile of her she has ever given him. Touching the embroidered pink sakura leaves, it doesn’t matter to him whether some parts were out-of-pattern or if the sewing was not well-made. Being it Seungyeon’s embroidery is more than enough. And to think that she made it while thinking of him makes him more giddy and happy, he thought he could die at that moment. Getting her permission whether he could read the poem she wrote on that tiny piece of cloth, he read it silently in front of her.

 

At first it was hard to decide

Should I buy you sword or clothes?

Or should I just treat you to a luxurious dinner?

But I feel, it’s not enough.

 

Then, we went to the market, Jungyeon and I

Where I saw this tiny piece of clothing

I thought it would suit you well.

But, I think it’s not enough.

 

I had five days of agony,

Countless pricks from my sword-enemy called needle.

I finished it, and then what?

I still feel it’s not enough.

 

How can I feel that I have done enough

When I’m undecided how to say sorry to you

Or how much should I say “Thank You.”

You may not be around Young Mister

But you comfort me so,

That I can’t thank you enough.

 

How could I ever thank you enough,

For those words are gem to my eyes,

A fragrance to my nose and chime to my ears

My soul feeds from it, my heart heals from it.

 

In me, it’ll be live forever

The fruit of your heart that gave me strength

Thank You, JongHyun-ssi

 

He can’t get her thoughts straight after he finishes reading it. “Thank You. You didn’t have to do this much. I’m beyond words, My Lady. You’re really a good poet.”

“Same goes to you,” Seungyeon says and it seems that her mood has lighten up. They started a light conversation of things, trying to forget what have happened in the past. She begins asking him about his family while he inquires about the experience of sewing which she described as torture and admitted that she even lost hope in finishing it in mid-way. Chuckles and smirks have been exchanged between the two until Seungyeon asked for the whereabouts of his father.

“We arrived together earlier but has to talk something of importance with the Prime Minister so he accompanied him to the palace.” Upon hearing about her father, the gloom goes back to Seungyeon’s face. Feeling that the timing is enough and actually, he can’t take it anymore.

“Is something that worries you, My Lady?”

The receiving end stays silent, as if deciding whether to say it to him or not. But she trusts him. She doesn’t know why, but she feels like she can confide anything to him.

“I’m a cursed child, JongHyun-ssi.”

 

Hi Friends,

Thank you for those who left encouraging words. Really appreciated it. I’m feeling very well now, thank you very much.

 

Here’s another update for you guys. I have seen new people commenting, it makes me so happy. Hopefully, you are still enjoying with my story. My sister commented that the tone of the story is quite serious. *cries* Sorry. I’m really a serious person so it might have reflected in here. I’ll try making it lighter next time.

 

Disclaimer: Although the poems here are originally mine, they were inspired by poems I got from Anitapoems. J

 

Lovelots,

Kiara <3