Messy Feelings

Across Time

“How was it, Seulgi?” Soo-jin, the second eldest sister of the Yoo household immediately asked even before servant can take her breath. All three sisters are having a short meeting. Wearing their green and red hanbok respectively, Soo-jin and Jungyeon sit in front of Seungyeon who has her right hand fingers tapping the small table in front of her.

“Jeunnim and Lee Yeonggam are still talking,” Seulgi informed her mistresses. She received silence as reply from her three mistresses. An hour ago, they welcomed the Prime Minister and his mind is preoccupied already with other matters. Although it’s not unusual anymore, considering the position their father holds, a woman instinct can be trusted in this kind of situation.  Jungyeon’s voice distracted her from her thoughts.

“What do you think, eonni?” Jungyeon asked her eldest sister. Out of the three of them, they know Seungyeon is the most well-versed in politics.

“Firstly, the King went there himself to investigate. Then they travelled at a lightning speed. And now they are in abanim’s room for almost an hour,” Soo-jin recalled the most suspicious events.

“It’s hard to think of possible answers with the amount of information we have right now,” Seungyeon said.

“But we can’t ask abanim for that. He’d definitely refuse to speak. It’s likely that eomonim doesn’t know anything too,” Soo-jin said.

“How about the town? Is there any changes or rumours going around in the capital right now?” Seungyeon asked.

“Not that I know of,” Jungyeon said which Soo-jin also seconded.

Arriving at a temporary solution to their problem, Seungyeon turned to Seulgi, “Please go around the town and gather as much information that you can.” Seulgi answered positively and left her mistresses.

 

The three sisters released a significant of air from their body, as if they’ve been holding their breath for a while now. As silence enveloped the room, Jungyeon noticed the shadow of the man just outside and remembered the question she’s been meaning to ask.

“By the way, eonni, who’s that man?” Jungyeon pointed Jonghyun’s shadow that is seen through the Japanese paper that served as walling of the room.

“His name his Jonghyun,” Seungyeon answered her youngest sister with her hand supporting her chin as she turned her eyes to look at the shadow.

“Why don’t you ask him to survey the town too? It’ll be faster and more fruitful that just having Seulgi do it on her own,” Soo-jin asked.

Answering through her voice with the sound of disbelief, “Apparently, I cant. Father has assigned him to look after me. He’s my guard.”

Looking at one another, the two younger Yoo sisters commented that things are becoming more complicated. “Why would abanim do that?” Soo-jin asked.

“Honestly, I don’t know. I’ve been wanting to ask him directly about it too but, as you can see, I can’t because he’s entrapped himself in his room.” She sounded pissed off and her sisters are not stone not to notice it. Seungyeon noticed it herself to and felt guilty of lashing her frustration on her sisters. “Sorry,” is the only thing she can mutter.

“That’s okay. Very well, then. We should leave you now, eonni. You should probably get yourself some rest so you can have more energy when fighting with father later on.” Soo-jin and Jungyeon stood up and left the room together but not without sneaking a good peek to Jonghyun.

 

Her calligraphy tools are outside of their container and there are rice papers around her. But she can’t concentrate. Her stokes are not good and the poems she’s making are not making any sense, even to her. She brought out the Analects, tried to read but in vain. She can’t comprehend any word at all. Seungyeon tried everything she loved and fond of to shake off her worries from her mind but it keeps on drifting back to the same things.

Getting impatient for not getting any good news from Seulgi or update of any progress from her father’s room, she decided to take control of the time. Without cleaning her room first, she went outside and stood in front of Jonghyun.

“You!” she said. “Come with me.” She turned her body faster than she planned. That was the first time she get a good look at Jonghyun’s eyes but it made her feel funny things inside her stomach.

 

His eyes are brown, like mine, she thought. As she went a few steps ahead than the man, she hold he left chest, finally able to confirm that her heart is beating so fast like it could burst out of her rib cage any moment.  They are so mesmerizing, I feel like it me in. Why did he look at me that way? It’s burning my insides. Does he look at any girl like that?

 Seungyeon’s mind might be too clouded that it has affected her manner of walking. She seemed not to notice it until she felt someone’s presence behind her, and holding her shoulders.

“Are you okay, Agassi?” Jonghyun asked. Because Jonghyun spoke near her finger, it almost sent electrifying signals throughout her body that is so strong it shocked her entire being.

“Y-yes. O-of course.” She felt her blood rushed to her face. Hearing his voice so clear for the first time, she noted that it is so velvety yet manly at the same time. It’s deep but not authoritative. It still has its traces on the possibility of having a sweet personality.

“Are you sure, Agassi? Your face is really red. Maybe you are cold,” Jonghyun said. He immediately took off his overcoat and wrapped it around Seungyeon to keep her warm. She thanked him for it but inside her mind, she keeps on cursing her body for being so obvious. The winter is coming but she forgot to wear thicker clothes. She felt stupid.

Attempting to hide her redness, Seungyeon tightened Jonghyun’s overcoat around her. A wrong move of her, she realized. Now, his sweet smell is all over her and taking over her existence and sanity. How can she possibly face her father is such as state right now?

 

Finally arriving in front of her father’s place, she asked for an audience but the attendant refused because her father reminded them to let no one in. Fortunately, she was able to recollect her composure before arrive here so she can stand firm on her actions.

“I don’t care. Stand aside. I need to see her.” She passed by the attendant and went directly through the hall to his father’s room. Jonghyun religiously followed her. The moment she arrived in front of the door, she heard her father shouting from the inside.

“WE CAN’T DO THAT! BLOOD MIGHT SPILL IN THE CAPITAL FOR DAYS!”

_____

Hi Chingus,

Sorry for the late update. I am about to post this last night but the weak connection failed me. By the way, I have revised the 2nd chapter because I doubt its quality. So for those who are yet to read it, please do so. It's my offering of apology for the poor quality last time. thanks a lot to those who subscribe to my story. Thanks Chingus.

 

Lovelots,

Kiara <3