Geum Gae

Across Time

Of the four pillows prepared inside the small room, two were already occupied. Sitting rigidly and patiently on the pillow placed at the right side of the centre meant for the chief, Jung Dae-so expects him and his son to arrive any moment now. It was exactly three days ago when they were informed of this emergency meeting. Hearing horses neighing outside their abode, he knows that the long wait is over.

Two men, both in their pair of black jeogori and baji entered. The two pairs of father and son paid their respect to one another. Dae- so offered him their seats. Wasting no more time, Lee Jun-seo asked for updates on the mission he gave on which, the other male adult responded affirmatively.

“I had also took it into my best judgement to inform the merchants involved so that they would heightened their alert. We also came into an agreement that we would help them in every way we can,” Dae-so added. Being one of the most trusted members of Geum Gae, Jun-seo has nothing to do but approve and believe on his judgments. Their family have been friends for years and their sons grew together. This humble soju maker living next town to their’s has been serving as chapter leader of this town since Jun-seo became chief of the society.

A map of the town and its surroundings drawn by Yong-Hwa is spread on the floor. They may have known the outline of this place by heart, but there’s no harm in preparing for the worst. Planning for operations like this requires a substantial idea of the environment for several reasons. One, they can detect where the enemy could possibly come from. Another thing, they can determine where they would meet-up safely in case of emergency.

“We would move in small number like always. The ambush would happen at around 10 tonight. What did the merchants say about their activities by that time?” inquired the Chief.

“The merchants…,” the three gentlemen now turned to Yong-Hwa who is sitting beside JongHyun. Noticing that he get their attention, Yong-Hwa continued explaining what he had gathered from talking with the salt merchants. “said that their initial plan is to deliver the goods to the capital at dawn tomorrow.” Different from the usually silent, introvert and bookworm JongHyun, 17-year old YongHwa is a person who seemed to have been born with exemplar talent on interpersonal relationships. He can easily approach people, talk with them and get their trust, much like what happened with the merchants. Most of the times, it is useful for the society. Other times, it causes trouble for him. Nevertheless, he remains a good-natured lad and loyal to the group.

“They are now resting at this hostel,” YongHwa pointed at the structure marked “X” nearby the border of the town. “They would resume their travel tonight and were expecting to be crossing the heavily-forested part of the hills by 10 this evening.”

“And so we wait for them inside this forest and capture them,” Dae-so said. Both Jun-seo and Yong-Hwa agreed with the plan but not JongHyun. He feels that something remains amiss with the plan and it is a vital point that may determine its outcome. Studying the map closely, it becomes clearer to him and calls the attention of the three to him.

“I don’t think we can do that. Here look at this,” the three men surrounded JongHyun as point out the long winding road next to a cliff beside the hills. The road is located before the forested area they initially think the attack would occur. “They can attack them here. If they are planning to kill the merchants, then they can make it look like an accident. Otherwise, it’s a good place for torture and bargaining agreement.”

Agreeing to what they have heard, the group has to improve their plan on the spot. Every possibilities has to be taken into account and JongHyun’s is likely to happen. Jun-seo asked his son for his thoughts.

“I think we have to ambush them,” Jonghyun revealed his ace card.

 

 

The lively market has everything to offer: food, temporary shelter, clothes, accessories and drinking pub and for the two friends who are currently strolling through it on their way to the hostel, it offers a limitless diversion from their mission. But JongHyun and YongHwa are used to it. Years of training had let them practice their focus and their focus now is to reach their destination before the merchants can began their march towards a trap.

However, for JongHyun, other things are currently occupying his mind and the culprit is lying closely to his heart enclosed in a hard, wooden box. Securing that it’s safely kept, YongHwa noticed his dongsaeng touching his chest.

“Is that a gift JongHyun-ah?” the older of the questioned playfully. Receiving no answer, he take it as a yes and proceed with this teasing session by bombarding him with seemingly endless questions. “Is it a girl? I think it is. Is it the same one you are talking about when we were still children? Aren’t you working for them right now? How is she?”

Formulating his thoughts first before he could utter anything that may start another set of teasing, JongHyun’s answer is delayed. “Well, for one, she’s fond of Confucius and Mencius.” He said first which received a whistle of impression from YongHwa who commented that it’s unusual for a girl which JongHyun completely agrees. “Yeah. More than that, she’s stubborn, highly dignified and a very smart woman,” JongHyun answered matter-of-factly.

“Very well, I would like to meet her someday.” Yong Hwa ended the topic with enthusiasm and anticipation for that day that he’ll meet the girl who melt JongHyun’s ice.

 

 

“It’s them,” says one of the men lurking in the dark in the side of the hill near the narrow, winding road. At his signal, 8 men whose faces are covered except their eye run swiftly through the bushes towards the parade of merchants crossing the road. With their own swords drawn and ready to any combat ahead, they stopped parade on their tracks.

The merchants and their cargoes are now surrounded by men in black with their swords pointing at them. Scared to the core, one them tried to negotiate but failed in doing so. Forcefully collecting them at one side of the road, far from their goods, the traders are shaking in their every nerves. Guarded by two of them, they begin pleading to spare their lives and just take what they want. While the other two remains on guard, the other four tries to rummage through the carts when suddenly a splash of blood from the throat of two of them caught them off guard.

From the two carts emerged two individuals in black too, but decorated themselves with an arm band in their right arms. Gathering their reflexes from what just happened, the four men on stand-by begin attacking the two. The dark night is filled with the clinking sound of sword s exchanging. Two versus one in front and at the back portion of the parade. It may seem that the two arm-banded individuals will be at an advantage yet they have already taken out another two.

Swift with their feet, JongHyun is able to avoid an incoming attack from behind. Giving a blow on the enemy’s stomach, he immediately followed it by a swing of his sword through his chest. Some of the blood has caught in his eye, temporarily blinding his well-adjusted eyesight. Taking advantage of this, one of the enemies guarding the traders attacked him from behind. Thanks to his heightened senses. He felt the coming presence and fortunately received a laceration in his right arm.

Witnessing that his friend has been wounded, YongHwa comes into rescue after subduing the remaining enemies. The two exchanged swords until the enemy decided to retreat. Yet, the two Geum Gae warriors failed to notice the bloodied armband in the escaping enemy’s hand.

“JongHyun-ah, are you okay?” YongHwa tear a part of his clothes and used it as first aid to JongHyun’s wound. “That direction is going to the Capital.”

“I know. I’m sorry if I have been careless. We should not let him escape,” JongHyun said under his painful breathing. Prepared to pursuit the culprits, the two young men are about to run fast when Jun-seo and Dae-so arrived in horses.

“He has gone ahead. It would be impossible to follow him. We have to alert the Capital as soon as possible. JongHyun-ah, can you still make it there?” Jun-seo may be worried about his son but he believes in him. The mission is more important than their lives, and his son knows it very well. Receiving a positive confirmation to his question, Dae-so get off the horse and give to the younger Lee.

“Have the chapter surrounding the Capital alerted, Dae-so. I’ll leave the rest to you.” With that being said, Lee’s rushed back to the Yoo household. Muttering to himself, Junseo admitted that they are facing a dangerous enemy.

 

___

Hello friends,

Here's another update! Sorry if I failed to do so for the last 5 to six days. I've been sick-- suffered from severe cough and cold. I can't think well as a result. Forgive me -_-.

Lovelots,

Kiara <3