Special Day

Across Time

Probably, one would not be able to conclude that it was one hell of a day to the members of the Yoo family based on the calmness in their house. It’s already 9 in the evening and everybody must be in their own room, waiting for sleep to bless them a good night. Yet, it’s different with SeungYeon who keeps on rolling from one side to another on her mattress. It’s frustrating, knowing that she’s been like this for an hour. The memories of the day, especially the conversation she had overheard kept sleep away from her consciousness.

Giving up on her private endeavour to sleep, she got the Analects from her chest box to read, secretly hoping that reading would become a lullaby to her active mind. Rude as it may sound, she’s not usually like this. She reads books for the sake of reading, not for something else. Rationalizing what her doing, that will the first and last time she’ll do it.

Ten minutes have passed, the oil on her lamp would run itself out but she hasn’t turned from the page where she started. This isn’t going anywhere beneficial, she thought and carefully shoved the book away. Deciding to do calligraphy in spite of unfavourable light was her only hope. The tiredness of grinding the ink stone might distract her thoughts and invite slumber at last.

After spreading the rice paper on her table, she got her box of brushed. It was then she came upon JongHyun’s gift of beautiful brush that morning as well as the draft of his name she kept. Finally deciding what to write, she spread the folded paper to study the characters.

“His handwriting is truly quite bad,” she smiled at herself and began working on the tedious calligraphy.

 

 

“No, this would not do. This on the second character looks bad,” SeungYeon said as she inspected her 6th output that night. On the surrounding floor were her previous products with which she felt imperfect and ugly. She’s been repeating the same characters for the 6th time and would do so for the 7th because a small part of it did not suffice her taste.

The grounded ink she prepared a while ago was getting less. Concentrating herself on writing prettily, she focused on her tiny , the spaces between the lines, the inclination and curves at the end and the over-all size of each character.  Watching her from a far is like looking at a goddess of art casting her magic on the paper.

Striking the last line on the final character, she sees nothing wrong with what she had done at last. But the feeling of contentment was still not there. Sighing in defeat, SeungYeon set her work aside and took time rest outside where she have access to the fresh air.

The moon is on its first quarter phase. Millions stars are visible in the sky, indicating a good weather that night. Securing the sweater she had worn before going out to protect herself against the cold, the blowing wind brought with it a sweet melody. As it reached her ear, it reenergized her tired body after having all those calligraphies. However, she can feel a pint of sadness in the music. Curious enough, she followed the source of this humble lullaby.

 

JongHyun was grateful he brought his Erhu with him. Things that had happened that day still haunted him, preventing him to sleep. Thanks to his beloved instrument, he has some way to kill time until he feels drowsiness.

“You didn’t tell me you could play!” He was startled by the voice from behind him, immediately recognizing it of SeungYeon’s. He turned around to see her already positioning herself comfortably beside him. Her eyes are big and her lips were lifted up because of the surprise she had seen. “What do you call this instrument?” SeungYeon asked for his Erhu and began massaging it’s strings and bow.

“It’s called Erhu, My Lady. A Chinese instrument,” he informed her. SeungYeon’s startled face faced him and ask if he’s been in China. “Yes, My Lady. My family and I were going there from time to time for vacation.”

“That’s amazing! I’ve never been to China. I’ve been wanting to go there for a long time,” she said dreamily. “When did you start learning thing?”

“Since I was a little kid. It started off as a way to kill time. But once, I heard my second eldest sister played it so good, I fell in love with it. From then on, I devoted most of my time learning it.” JongHyun was smiling while telling SeungYeon a part of his precious memories which made me fascinated even more.

“That’s very nice to hear. You said it’s your second eldest sister who inspired you to play Erhu. How many siblings do you have then?” Quite surprised with herself asking personal questions, she apologized for her actions. JongHyun chuckled.

“No need for that, My Lady. Well, I have two older sisters. Ji-in noona, the eldest, have already married and had a daughter named Harang. Min-ah noona, the one who plays Erhu, is still with my parents. When will she marry, that we don’t know.” They laughed together. It is a common practice among women in Joseon to marry and have children at an early age. It would not be a surprise for children to marry at age of 10, especially within the Royal Family.

“JongHyun-ssi,” SeungYeon said quite seductively. JongHyun looked at her in the eye and swallowed at cup cost of saliva. “Would you play again?” she said as she fluttered her eyes several times in a second. That and the combination of her amber-colored eyes proved itself too much for JongHyun to handle.

“W-What would you like me to play, My Lady?” JongHyun said stuttering while trying to normalize his breathing as he finds it difficult to divert his attention from her gaze.

“Anything that you like.” SeungYeon answered in a manner JongHyun can describe as a combination of her being shy, cute and seductive.

“I-I have many pieces that I like, though.”

“Then, choose the song that you would like to play for me.” SeungYeon watched JongHyun work on his mind endearingly. He looked so lovely, being serious in a thing that she liked. Setting aside the memory of him being cold earlier that day, what she’s seeing right now is person who dearly loves music.

The rhythm started slowly and changed with short quick change of notes as two of his fingers danced between the two strings of the instrument while his other arm gently slides the bow from left to right with varying speed and power depending on the need.  His head and body sways with the bow as the music picked up its tempo. SeungYeon listened earnestly while watching his body flowing with the music. Taking advantage of the fact that his eyes are closed, SeungYeon took her time admiring his beauty: his thick dark eyebrows that she dearly likes now relaxed along with his other facial expressions and his large, strong hands and long fingers that moves gracefully makes her feel like she’s watching a God, temporarily visiting the land of the mortals in his journey for relaxation.

The music slowed down as JongHyun finally ended his playing. Blowing the air out he unconsciously held inside him, he turned his gaze on SeungYeon and caught off guard with how she looked at him intensely and lovingly. The warmth in his warmth that embraced him through those loving gaze is enough to protect him from that freezing night. He no longer has to worry for frostbite now, he thought for he felt his face fired up from all the blood that rushed towards his cheeks.

“That was beautiful,” SeungYeon said at last.

“T-Thank you, My Lady.” Relieved that she has finally talked, his body relaxed and became unprepared with another attack from her.

“You are beautiful,” SeungYeon said in a seemingly dazed state.

Like he was shocked by thousand watt lightning bolt, he felt the hairs all over his body stood up while his blood rush suddenly shoot up, he might get a heart attack. He began to sweat despite the temperature and his mind, ideas that he might regret later on starts to conquer his nerves, he thought he might lose his control.

“But it’s not as beautiful with you gayageum playing, My Lady.” JongHyun tried to change the topic to give his self some mercy. Fortunately, it caught SeungYeon’s attention and she was surprised with what he had just confessed.

“W-When did you—!” SeungYeon paused and remembered the last time she played in the veranda while crying. “You were there?! I thought I dismissed you back then!” And that’s silly of her to believe that for a long time. Of course, further knowing his personality, he would not actually follow her command and leave her that night. Now, it was SeungYeon’s turn to flush into a beet red color due to embarrassment. She’s not used to people listening to her play. To make matters worse for her, she shouted at him that night and was crying while playing the instrument.

Smiling and feeling satisfied for being able to get back at her, he continued his teasing. “I wish I could hear and watch you play again.” He purposely gave emphasis on the word watch and observed her getting fidgety in her place. “But, it would be better if you will not be crying when that time come and instead you’ll be playing in a happy, enthusiastic mood.”

“ARRASSEOYO! I will play for you in a way that you will never ever forget that day!” Every moment with you is a memory that I will forever remember, JongHyun thought.  It may not have any meaning for her but for JongHyun, listening to her declaring to play for him made him so happy.

 SeungYeon was using her hand to fan herself in order to lower her temperature. The awkward silence following her embarrassing declaration is not helping her at all. Maybe, she should go back to her room.

“Why aren’t you sleeping, My Lady?” asked JongHyun which relieved the lady from the tension.

“Well, I’m still bothered by what happened this afternoon. The one I told you about,” from her active spirits, it plummeted down because of the topic. It was so bothering and it’s hard not to think about it. “How about you? Why are you still up?”

“Same reason as you. Thought, in addition, I can’t still forgive myself that I almost lost you back there,” he admitted. SeungYeon apologized to him again, for her stupid actions. “Put out for your right hand, My Lady.” SeungYeon brought it out and linked his pinky finger with hers. “I learned that a promise made while doing this will become an unbreakable vow. Breaking a promise made will let the God punish the breaker.” He informed her and she smiled at the thought. “You have to promise me to never to act carelessly from now on; that you will allow me to accompany you whenever you want to investigate on a matter and to allow me to protect you whenever, wherever possible. I will take down any mountain or dry our any ocean to get to you My Lady in time of your dire need so you have to trust me.”

SeungYeon had lost count on how many time she had smiled that day. Thinking how foolish they might look right now, she doesn’t care at all. She made a promise that night and from then on, she will completely trust him.

After having their fingers released from the bind, SeungYeon finally admitted her thoughts. “Honestly though, you were really scary this afternoon.” JongHyun said sorry for his actions. “I don’t want to see you like that again so I better stick close to you,” she said as she closed the distance between them until their shoulders touch. Staring at his eyes, she asked “Right?” and started laughing, commenting on how they act childish that night. JongHyun laughed with her and their positive aura had sang with the cicadas that night.

“I had earned many irreplaceable memories today, experienced many things for the first time. And it’s all because I’m with you. That’s why, thank you JongHyun-ssi. Thank you for making this day really special.”  

He had enough that day, and maybe his heart got tired of making him flustered, he blushed while looking at her. “Thank you too, My Lady. I had experienced things for the first time today too.”

The mood is really good and it’s really a shame to cut it off. But the night is getting deeper, and SeungYeon is beginning to feel that sleep has granted her her wish. She bid her farewell to him, walked a few meters away from him when he suddenly called out to her.

“My Lady! What important thing did you hear this afternoon?” After blurting out his sudden question, he witnessed her rushed back to him and covered him mouth with her hands. Seeing her get her face closer to him, secretly in his heart, he thought of a kiss from her. But not that’s too much to wish at that time. SeungYeon actually whispered to him what happened. Thought it’s saddening, their faces almost touching, made his heart skipped again. He sensed her skin is so soft and smooth, he wanted to touch it with his hands.

“I would not want Father to worry about my safety if I tell him what had happened. So, I’m entrusting this to you and relay this information to them. But don’t tell them about my involvement, please? That Li Sung-ssi, I don’t feel good about him. Do you understand, JongHyun-ssi?” He just nodded in response.

They realized, at last, that their bodies had been so close to one another, they can feel each other’s body warmth. SeungYeon immediately tried to regain her composure. “You know, My Lady.” He slyly smiled at the idea that got into him mind. “It’s the second time you touch my lips with your fingers. I sincerely liked it cause it feels so good. Be careful though, I might get addicted to it and demand for more,” and ended his statement with a cute wink. He saw her face turned in the reddest manner he’d ever seen. The darkness of their environment did not hinder him from seeing it.

No replies from her, she ran away from her in a failed attempt to hide her redness. ”Keowo,” JongHyun said to himself, his dimples got deep in a manner it can handle a cup of water.  Setting his Erhu back in his room, he went to his father and the Prime Minister to report what Seungyeon had witnessed.

 

 

 

_______

Dear Friends,

Another late update for you guys. Sorry for the delay. I've been busy and will be busy until next week. *cries*. you see, our graduation ceremony will be next week so there's a lot of preparation and meetings *cries again*. 

This is originally part of Chapter 14. However, I separated this part to make it more detailed and ‘special.’ Also, to accommodate more scenes and conversations in the succeeding one. I know I have posted it yesterday but reading it again, I felt dissatisfaction so I re-write it. Hopefully, you'd enjoy this.

To those people who patiently wait for update of this story, THANK YOU for your support. Love You guys :)

 

Lovelots,

Kiara <3