Unorthodox Daughter

Across Time

"My Lady, you wrote the last character incorrectly. Remember that the direction should be from top to bottom then left to write,” scold the calligraphy master to his younger student.

“But Seonsang-nim, we’ve been in here for four hours. My hurts. My fingers are aching and already messy because of the ink,” retaliated by the young lady of the house.

“I insist you must endure. It’s part of your long family tradition. Your ancestors have given too much honor to this country and you are not to taint it with your lack of calligraphy skills,” the calligraphy master tried to persuade her however, it seems to be in vain.

“Why am I the only one who’s required to do this? Sun-jin and Jeongyeon are allowed to play but I am not? Su-jin and I are just one year apart? What’s the difference?”

“It’s because you are the eldest in the family! Your Lord Fathe--.”

“May I borrow the Young Lady for some minutes, Kim Seonsang-nim,” the master has been interrupted by a manly voice just outside the study room.

Kim Seonsang-nim exchanged glare with his student before sighing and giving up. “Of course, Nari.”

Kim Seonsang-nim immediately went outside to give time to the two.

“Glad that you dropped by, Nari.” Relief is evident is her voice as she began stretching her legs and arms and moving her head in circular motion  which are aching from sitting at the same position for hours.

“You’re very welcome, Ashi,” Lee Jun-seo can’t help but smile on the quirkiness of Yoo Seungyeon, his master’s first daughter. “But I highly suggest you start seeing him from the brighter side. You’ll be with him until you marry, you know?” He knows the topic irritates her but the adorable crunches she makes with her face upon the thought of staying with that teacher always bring brightness to his day.

“To make you day better, I’ve brought the books you’ve requested.” From underneath his clothing, Lee Jun-seo brought out a package covered in cloth and slide it on the table towards Seungyeon.

It seemed that the energy had returned to Yoo Seungyeon upon realizing what’s within. She looked at Lee Jun-seo with eyes of extreme gratefulness.

“You better hide them well, you understand Ashi?” Seungyeon nodded her head hard as she tried to hide it underneath her handbook before anyone can see.

Timely indeed, a servant approached them and bowed down, calling Jun-seo, “Nari, Daegam sent here to inform you we are about to depart.”

“I see,” Jun-seo replied to the servant before turning back to Seungyeon “Very well, Ashi. It seems you are really working hard on you studies,” he said after a deep sigh.

The both of them stand up. “Your father has been asked by the King to accompany him to the Southern Province,” he informed the young lady.

“I see. Very well then. Please take care of Father. Nari, you too.” Yoo Seungyeon bowed to the person in front of her before he left her alone in the room while she waits for her teacher to comeback.

The following days and nights might be lonely, she realized. But the warmth of the books covered with cloth underneath her dress provide potential light for her to survive to incoming days.

 

Surrounded by his men and Lee Jun-seo on their horses, Prime Minister Yoo Min-jun rode his palanquin towards the palace before going to their destination with the King. While on his palanquin, he called the attention of Min-jun who was just right beside him.

“You gave her another book, Min-jun?”

Surprised by this, he cannot do anything but admit the truth. “Your daughter insisted. You know, I can’t say no to her.”

“What is it this time?” he inquired. “The Analects. She’s really a fast learner. I’m really astounded by her capabilities. If he was born as a man, he could enter Sungkyunkwan,” Jun-seo commented.

“But she’s not.” Yoo Min-jun kept quite for a while after that, obviously contemplating. This did not escape Jun-seo.

“What are you thinking about Min-jun?”

“I’m thinking if I’ve been a good father to my daughters,” Min-jun admitted.

Jun-seo looked at the man inside the palanquin and began to understand his worries.

“At an early age, I realized Seungyeon’s potential. However, it would not benefit for a woman to know and be literate about politics. This world is full of hatred and deception. Women are too soft for this. I’ve been trying to cut her off from this dirty world but she’s the one who kept of rushing forward. My protection has been futile. I wonder what I should have done,” Min-jun said.

Lee Jun-seo looked at the surroundings they are taking. The lively town’s road is decorated by different business establishments of the commoners and other business clans. The dirty road of summer has not able to cease the perseverance of the people to make money for living. However, this same roads, have also been witness to blood spills brought by the darkness of politics.

In his 60 years of living, he had already seen countless of people suffered from starvation because of officials who broke their vow as scholars in protecting the common people. Usually, there were not contented and wanted to remain in power, they would willingly shed innocent lives. Yes, he is witnessing Joseon’s blooming. And out of its bud, fresh blood readily oozes out.

“You should not cry over spilled milk, my friend.” Min-jun was caught off guard by Jun-seo’s sudden outburst. He looked up at the man beside him, riding his horse with a smiling face. Min-jun closed his eyes. “Indeed,” he said.

Night has fallen into Joseon and Yoo Seungyeon is still unable to sleep. Gathering her thoughts, her ink, rice paper and brush, she began writing

The Ram and Ewe are born

Both are white

Both are soft

But one has horn and the other is not.

Is that why Ewe is in pen

While Ram is in the open?

Setting it aside, Seungyeon blew off the candle before finally lying on her bed. As she covered herself with white blanket and turned sideways to look at moon overlooking her, as soft melody began to hum and fill the night air.

It’s there again, she thought. Almost every night, she can hear a soft sound of gayageum playing. It’s sweet melody, always rushing through her veins and enveloping her with warmth whenever she feels down by herself. It soothes her every being, and lets her breath slows down. The music, it seemed, has hands, embracing her to sleep and forcing her eyelids to close.

It’s a lullaby. And she has this feeling that its for her.

 

_______

Notes:

* Ashi- title for daughter of master; Nari- Sir

* Jun-seo and Min-jun are just meant for this. It's not Seungyeon's father's name in real life.

* About the poem, i just made it. i don't know if you'll like it. Try to decode it thought ;)

 

Thanks for reading Chingus. Hope you enjoy my first trial of a historical drama. Please review:)

 

Lovelots,

Kiara <3