Twinkling Yellow Stars

Paint Me The Colours Of The Rainbow

Twinkling Yellow Stars

MJ waves the cab off and mutters a soft ‘you owe me’ to JinJin and Sanha, who both pretend not to hear by twisting their heads in the opposite direction. To which MJ only shakes his own and pushes the two up the paved sidewalk.

“Are we not even going to talk about that creepy cab driver? I swear every stop light he was eyeing us up like he was going to kidnap us or something.” MJ loudly utters, shivering to prove his point. “I didn’t notice.” JinJin quietly says. He can't focus on MJ's words, or continuing speech, because his attention is solely fixed on the booming house before them.

The loud music and screaming coming from within tells him exactly how well the party is staying straight on its tumbling path. It's intriguing, curiosity sparking and the rapid buzz that's tearing right through to his core excites him. Being here is giving birth to such a familiar deadly sensation, one that he has been striving so desperately to forget. He vowed when he did body shots and woke in a dissertated field to never party again, to never touch the things he had ever again. What is he doing here? That was a little over a year ago and yet here he is, staring at a house full of partying university students and with that same toxic response threatening to awaken. To break through.

To push him out of this simmering bubble.

“When’s the last time we bothered to come to a house party?” MJ questions as they begin to walk up the few steps leading to Moonbin’s elaborate dwelling. “I can’t even remember.” JinJin admits despite knowing the truth all to well. “Its definitely been awhile.” Sanha hums in agreement.

“Remember last time, at that one party? You got so drunk, you agreed to let that sketchy druggie tattoo you.” MJ laughs and he's hitting JinJin’s shoulder as if the whole ordeal is a joke genuinely worth giggling about, which it isn't. “What hyung, I’ve never seen it. Let me see!” Sanha fusses and he's throwing his lanky arms around the shorter male’s neck, tightly pulling JinJin in for a suffocating hug. “Let’s just not talk about it.” He harshly snaps, shaking Sanha off. He holds some condescending and mixed emotions about that yellow star tattoo if it could even be called that, permanently marking him. Talking about it now only makes the skin on his hip were that little drawing sits, sting and burn with this confusing acceptance.

He really doesn’t want to talk about it and they continue up those steps, smothered in that perplexing silence.

“Alright, I’ll show you tomorrow.” He complies, reaching up and rubbing at the curls of Sanha’s pouting head. There's nothing he can say and no justification to be discussed, because he's always held a weak spot for the young boy. It had become an instinct for him to give the redhead what ever he asked for and if he didn’t, he always felt bad afterwards. The guilting face of a child, that’s what he likes to blame it on. “Yay!” Sanha squeals and a toothy grin is taking over that once sunken frown as he pulls the blonde in for another tight hug. “What is it anyway, hyung?” Sanha asks and he was going to tell him, but MJ’s strong cough stops him.

JinJin turns to the eldest, who is motioning to the open door he's holding and decides he doesn’t need to be told twice.

“Wow.” JinJin gasps as they enter the house.

The display before him is shocking and just downright chaotic. There are people in all corners dancing, talking, drinking, making out. Some running around and just being over all berserk. He moves back fast as a giggling girl with orange hair dashes past him with a boy closely following behind.

“I almost got charged.” JinJin breathily shouts, grabbing at his beating chest, and he’s looking up towards Sanha in fear. “What.” Sanha yells over the intense pulse of the rhythm and he's leaning in, but JinJin pushes him away loudly muttering “Nothing.” He palms his head. How is anyone going to have an decent conversation, when even concisely thinking wasn’t an option anymore.

He turns back to the mess. This place is on the verge of hitting pure mental and he knows he needs to be cautious and be on red alert because now, anything is possible.

The trio is stuck frozen at the door, fundamentally scratching their heads as they take in the crazy scene. Well if he had to attend a party, he's glad it's Moonbin’s. Moonbin’s parents home is a perfect venue, not only is it gigantic but it also asserts a divine elegance. A type of magnificence that is already starting to slowly be devoured. The house is disaster stricken and in JinJin’s eyes, too far gone to be salvageable. It's a good thing Moonbin’s parents were on vacation until the following week, because he figures within another hour the entire space will be horrendous and thoroughly demolished. He prays for who ever has the honour of cleaning this mess up tomorrow and is glad it's not him.

JinJin’s senses are on overdrive and bursting with a new-found zing. The smell of booze, cigarette smoke and vomit is hitting him about as hard as his last exam and it's all bringing back a behaviour he had tried so immensely hard to neglect. To force away. He had sworn to leave his parting self behind a long time ago. Seriously, what is he doing here?

Was this what house parties were like now, what they’ve become after he stopped going to them? Plastic cups scattered about, spilt substances marking the floors, the furniture and some of the walls. He remembers people having more respect then this and being more laid back. Remembers how everyone was included because it had been about having fun and meeting new people, not what ever this is. This is completely different and he's truly baffled the police hadn’t shut the whole function down, or at least warn them to lower the volume of this booming base. It's only eight! These party mongers must have been going strong since earlier that evening, because it's bad and it's rough and everyone's already too out of it.

The three share similar looks of confused excitement before budging and stepping fully into the chaotic ball. They move through shirtless boys, half girls, intimate couples, and dancing bodies until they reach the back door leading to the lawn. It doesn’t take long for MJ to turn towards him only to pass him his phone and proceed to rest a heavy hand on his shoulder, the other being firmly clasped by Sanha.

“Just go in there and I’m sure you’ll run into your date, didn’t you say you wanted the freedom?” MJ loudly says, attempting to clearly speak over the music. “Just look for someone who's also looking for someone. He’s pretty good looking.” The devious brunette winks. “Whaaaa.” And MJ doesn’t give him the time to question, or demand answers because the foolish man is pushing him back towards the heart of the house. He whirls around and he's ready to grab for him, but MJ is already running, dragging Sanha out the sliding door. The bellow of his boisterous laughter over shadowing and breaking past the deafening music.

What?

JinJin stands there, frozen and his wide eyes are fixed on that freshly closed glass door. He can't be serious? MJ’s logic had always never made sense and will probably continue to never ever make sense. Is he for real? The only one that corrupted ideology makes sense to, is Sanha and that's currently no help in this situation.

He deflates as that hefty puff of dread riddled air leaves his lungs, fully slouching under that annoyance filled weight and he pouts because how is he going to do any of this? What kind of ed up did MJ mean? Had MJ not taken the mass amount of people in to account, had he not truly taken any feelings into consideration and deserted him as if they hadn’t been best friends. As if he doesn’t know how he gets. He begins grumbling and unlocks his phone only to send an angered message to his soon to be ex friend.

This is unbelievable. How could MJ just leave him like this and in such a panic producing state?

But a single oppressed thought has him brightening. Maybe MJ abandoning him is a blessing in disguise. He can practically leave if he wants to, waltz back out that very front door and maybe he should. But, the thought of MJ truly having someone here and waiting for him has those wondering ideas crumbling. Disappearing now wouldn’t at all be very virtuous on his end and honestly, he’s already come this far. Already given his shallow soul to the devil himself.

He grips his phone tighter. Why is he such a nice person? Going home now would only be a waste of a good time. Besides, his inner party animal is beginning to kindle, starting to stir to life and awaken with an ancient wildness that's thirsting to have fun

All he had to do was find out if someone was genuinely expecting his presence, fair enough and wait out the night to see if MJ was planning any surprises, that wasn’t that bad. With this new found ambitious attitude he starts on his hot pursuit, which only results in him walking absentmindedly around because he really has no clue what to do. He's trying to avoid the worst of the worst and that includes nervously dodging every overly drunk person and avoiding the easy girls who have this habit of clasping on to random guys in faulty attempts to dance, the ones who are only looking for some quick fun.

After a couple of minutes of absent wonder, JinJin finds himself stumbling down the narrow staircase that leads to a very spacious yet very packed basement. He halts after hoping off the last step and eyes a small circle of people at the other end of the room. What catches his hazy attention is the heated verses that are flowing from the mouths of two guys, who are stationed dead centre in the middle. By the looks of it, the pair are engaging in a rather verbal rap battle and the light clapping erupting from the crowd tells JinJin that the one with brown curls was currently winning. He can tell just from the sly up turn of the man's lips as he emphasizes each word that tumbles effortlessly out of his mouth and the increased cheering of the gathering watchers. He's been on both sides of that common victorious gesture and felt every ounce of its self esteem breaking pressure.

JinJin hadn’t even notice his feet carry him closer, not until he was standing on the outskirts of that very circle and in clear range of the exchanging two.

The beatboxer stops as soon as brown and curly finishes his last verse and JinJin agrees with the oohing crowd, the man killed it. The shorter of the two, the victim to that monstrous rap laughs and pushes at the taller one's chest. JinJin watches as he shakes his head and stifles a giggle with his hand as the messy haired winner peers down only to give the loser whose back is facing him, a wide bunny toothed smile. Brown and curly looks so familiar. So much so that JinJin has this sudden urge to go over there just to find out the man's name, because he can swear he’s seen that same smile somewhere before. He also secretly wants to join in on the fun and throw his name into the mix, but deep down he knows he should focus on what he has originally came into the basement to do. The beatboxer is pushing the shorter male aside and the raven-haired boy shifts towards him, causing JinJin to immediately gasp at the flourishing face of such a cursed individual.

What is his manager doing here?

He quickly turns around. Getting caught up in a heated discussion with Hanbin about how he has been phoning in sick for the past couple of days is not happening. Not now, not ever. Hanbin wasn’t one to let up, not even after proving validated points and listening to that over drawn lecture on how irresponsible he's being is something he'll do anything to avoid.

Why is Hanbin even here? He had chosen to work at that small coffee shop for the very reason that it was far from his university and in an entirely different neighbourhood. What were the chances that Hanbin decided to come all the way out here?

All of it's actively falling into place and making sense within his head. That curly haired bunny toothed boy is the same boy that frequents the cafe and sits at the small counter all day during Hanbin’s shifts. He needs to get out of here at least before Hanbin notices him and punishes him for lying. With that in mind he hastily runs back the long path he had come, climbing back up those very steps. He doesn’t want to question why Hanbin's here, or why he was taking part in that rap battle, or why he's with that man from the coffee shop because it's truly not any of his business and he's not staying around for the answers.

Besides, he's on a mission.

He's on the look out for any remotely handsome single guy, that seems as if they're possibly also looking for someone? Ridiculous as that sounds. The fact that MJ had decided to leave him alone with the number of people he had is more upsetting then the undeniable fact of coming off as completely insane as he absentmindedly walks around and stays detached from any social interaction.

JinJin startles and drops his suddenly buzzing phone. He curses, because he's drawing in unwanted attention from the surrounding people and they're probably all looking at him like he's some form of deranged animal. this weak heart of his. But he's soon sighing and rolling his eyes, because MJ’s horrible ringtone is beginning to play out at full volume. He quickly picks up the blaring device and answers it as nonchalant as possible, hoping the strangers around him are all too drunk to care about this weird behaviour.

He thought about being polite, he honestly did, but that's starting to look positively too good for MJ.

“I’m going to kill you. How dare you set up this absurd bet and wager such an embarrassing punishment.” JinJin spits into the phone and MJ is rendered silent on the other end. “Wow are you already drunk? Anyway, your date is in the kitchen and I’m going to make sure you’re not cheating.” Without as much as another word MJ's hanging up and there's nothing but empty static to fill his ringing ears.

Short and sweet and so unlike MJ.

There is no backing out now. He glances towards the kitchen, phone still in hand and against his ear. This is it. Do, or die. He knew Moonbin’s place well enough to the point where finding his way around was relatively easy. They were in the same music club back in high school and Moonbin had insisted every meeting almost always be held here. He slowly inches towards the kitchen, his heart sputtering and bursting with this weak anxiousness.

What if this person doesn’t like him and what if he just as equally doesn’t like this person?

He has never been on a blind date before and he has the slightest of idea on how these things were supposed to work, or even how he's going to drown out the awkwardness that's bound to come because he can barley even talk to the people he already has established relationships with. He doesn’t falter one bit when offered a shot from the passing round. Well, bottoms up. He accepts the little cup and chugs back the contents, only slightly wincing at the strong flavour.

Now he's ready...well about as ready as he can be.

JinJin enters the spacious kitchen and hesitantly glimpses around. There is hardly anyone in here and his eyes lazily drift past the few residing individuals, sizing each one up. No, no, no, maybe and then at the very end of that disappointing line he spots a well-known figure sitting at the edge of the grant island.

There's no way he could be ……. or was there?

He throws out a confused grunt. He might as well. It's not as if he has anyone else to talk to because he doesn’t and by the looks of it, no one else remotely close to his liking in the kitchen. Agreeing with his groggy mind and corrupt inner voice, he decides why the hell not because what else is there to lose? With one last inward push, he strolls over to that lonesome individual and willingly takes a seat beside one of the few people he had distinctly wanted to stay clear of.

It doesn’t take long for the other to shift towards him and an astonished smile is quickly spreading across that once glum face. Donghyuk has half a drink in front of him and his phone on the table facing downwards, like he had been currently contemplating or waiting for something.

“What a surprise hyung! I didn’t know you were coming. I thought you’d be all lame and stay home.” Donghyuk says and fully turns in his chair, so he can face JinJin.

Donghyuk's statement has him gasping, attempting to pull off the best offended most exaggerated eye roll and hurt expression he can. He's insulted the younger holds so little respect for him. He most certainly is not lame, MJ made sure of that and in fact he not only loves to party, he was once the life of them. The sole difference today, the only thing holding him back is the someone that's expecting his company.

“Ah, what are you talking about? You obviously haven’t heard of the reputation I have around here.” He retaliates, lightly flicking Donghyuk’s forehead. “And don’t talk to your hyung like that.” Donghyuk only smiles, rubbing at the spot that had been hit.

JinJin observes how the boy’s grin drastically fades into that plastered frown from before and he looks down.

“What reputation? Being the first to pass out and sleep through an entire house party?” Donghyuk slyly asks, lifting his head only to stick his tongue out and then smirk. “You heard about that?” JinJin quickly inquires, scratching at his head sheepishly. He had forgotten all about that whole ordeal and is a little shocked people were still mentioning it, let alone remembering.

“What about you?” He questions. “I thought you’d be the crazy type. Why do you look so out of place? Sitting here alone.” He's urging the other on with his eyes, because he needs to find out the underlying truth and figure everything out.

This whole situation isn’t sitting too well with him, not at all. Donghyuk should be encompassed by a mass crowd, surrounded by not only his friends but just peers in general. Everyone had become acquainted with the charming Donghyuk and within such a short week the brunette has made more of a name for himself then he could in two years.

He strangely can not accept how gloomy the boy is appearing, can't see past this defeated aura and miserable outer exterior. Donghyuk should be ecstatic and running around like his hyperactive bothersome self, not pouting alone with not a single soul to rub his sulking back. Something is clearly not right here.

“I could say the same for you. I watched you walk around the living room in a circle and you looked just as out of place.” Donghyuk argues with a scoff and crosses his arms. “I guess I’m a little upset, I was supposed to be meeting someone here and it’s kinda going a little down hill.”

JinJin heavily swallows as Donghyuk's words reassure all those twitching doubts from before. People were surely thinking he was crazy.

“I swear, I’m going to beat the out of MJ when I see him next.” Donghyuk mutters under his breath as he drains the rest of his cup and for a second JinJin almost believes he's heard the other wrong. “What?” He cuts in, and the evident shock in his voice is purely genuine. Donghyuk only closes his eyes, grabbing at his nose bridge. “My friend MJ arranged a date for me and it seems like they’re a no show.”

The realization is hitting JinJin faster then the soccer ball Donghyuk had botted at his head a week ago. It's all starting to come together and begin to plunge into reason. How does MJ even know Donghyuk and why would he even set him up with such a vibrant person? Donghyuk isn’t even his type, MJ strictly knows what he's into and this exotic man is far from it.

“Really?” And the high-pitched question is nothing more then a bittersweet statement. He might as well lay it all out in the open and tell the other of their linking paths. He doesn’t want Donghyuk to dwell on not having a date, because low and behold here he is. “That’s weird cause MJ also set me up.” He slowly explains, pointing a finger at himself and then at Donghyuk, who only tilts his head in confusion. He continues “Which could only mean" and he's quickly pointing between himself and the younger, watching as the brunette's mouth lightly falls open.

“Are you serious?” And Donghyuk dramatically dead pans, finally understanding their current predicament. “I’m definitely going to kill MJ, is he here?" Donghyuk’s twisting to look around, before turning back towards him. " Well this is weird.” He awkwardly laughs and JinJin nods in agreement, because this is beyond weird.

Things weren’t supposed to happen like this, or take such an unlucky turn.

Just the other day he had been determined to get in this mystery dates pants, but now knowing that they're Donghyuk' pants, he's not to sure. This whole thing would have been easier if no connections and no ties were involved, no pre-existing feelings. Although he hates to admit it, him and Donghyuk they’re friends and only ever will be 'just friends'. Sure Donghyuk happens to lie on the slightly hotter side of the spectrum and sure he can be super sweet, but that doesn’t do much to hide the fact that he is still only the annoying dongsaeng JinJin had met just the other day.

But something evil is coming to life within him and trying to wish it away is becoming so unbearably hard, becoming such a hefty chore.

He needs, no wants this and he's not going to let such a minor issue ruin his night. Not when he's already starting to feel so much more alive. This stinging of desire wants him to have fun and wants him to play around without feeling bad for it. He can still make this work, he just needs a few more shots. It's not like Donghyuk appals him or anything, no it's more the opposite Donghyuk intrigues him. The brunette's presence alone makes him more daring and reckless. Makes him exhibit forgotten emotions and do things he hasn’t done in what seems like years. For some reason being near the boy has him tasting the relaxing air drifting outside of that imprisonment brought on by his very own plaguing disabilities. Almost like the world isn’t against him and more like a young adult trying to live these short fading moments to the fullest.

Like he's still young and can continue to screw up because he has long years ahead of him to make it right.

Donghyuk has experience. The younger knows what to say, even when to say it and that's precisely what terrifies yet strangely thrills him. It's completely irrational and now that his strong mental guards are tumbling down, he'll fully admit to feeling something for the boy. Donghyuk's beginning to look like an all right choice, in fact he's looking like an excellent choice and he can’t believe he’s not thinking about this with a more rational mindset. Besides he's still curious about that sensation from yesterday, what it meant and this is a perfect chance to explore. To push that boundary and put a name to what transpired between them.

He innocently looks down at the other and asks, “Am I really that bad?” This is his proposal and it all depends on Donghyuk, on if he's personally willing to play or not. He has a clear view of the living room from their spot at the table and he dreads having to join the cluster of swaying lifeless canvases stumbling about there.

JinJin desperately locks his attention back on to Donghyuk, raising a brow at the younger. “I guess I have to go mingle and find another date.” He simply says, standing from his seat. “No hyung.” Donghyuk whispers, while a wicked grin spreads across his glowing face. “I think you look really good tonight. Please stay with me.” Donghyuk quietly giggles, grabbing JinJin’s sweater and pulling at the fabric. "Lets just not worry, hyung and have fun."

“I’m not going to lie. I had at least half a bottle of wine before I came, so I can’t be accounted for. If any of my actions get out of hand tonight, its not my fault.” He sits back down and lightly chuckles. This is really happening. “I can’t say I’m sober either.” Donghyuk chimes in, handing JinJin a shot from the round that's being passed out and they make a brief toast before downing it.

Yeah Donghyuk’s right, they should just have fun.

“How do you even know MJ?” JinJin asks while piling the empty plastic shot glasses in a little tower before tipping it over. He's genuinely curious. “We worked for a short period at the same place. We hit it off pretty well and became good friends, but..." Donghyuk raising his pointer finger in a knowing matter and leaning in closer, only to whisper "But we got into a lot of trouble.” Oh, wow who would have thought and yes, he is being sarcastic because it would only make sense for the two of them to get into miraculous trouble. He's surprised that MJ never once mentioned Donghyuk. “What kind of trouble did you two get into?” MJ's already naughty enough but fusing in Donghyuk is like promoting a chemical combustion, that 'trouble' must’ve been incredibly detrimental. “Let’s just say enough to get us fired at the same time. Trust me you wouldn’t want to know.” Donghyuk emphasizes his words with a shake of his head and his eyes are telling JinJin to drop the subject, so he does. Even if he's just going ask MJ tomorrow.

After a couple of shots and a bit of endless flirting, he's feeling loads happier then what he thought he’d be. Especially considering being in the company of one troublesome Donghyuk. The brunette's hand is now resting on his thigh, lightly massaging his plush muscles and it's producing such an amazing electrifying sensation. Is it getting hot in here? He's boiling, sweating intensely through the thin material of his shirt and he needs to get this sweater off right now. He starts struggling out of the grey pull over and his frantic arms instantly get caught in the sleeves as he tries desperately to shed the layer.

“Hyung let me help you.” Donghyuk utters and he's quickly laying his hands on JinJin’s waist, sliding the offending piece up and off. “There.” Donghyuk says, rubbing JinJin’s shoulders and flattening the settling wrinkles of his long black rayon t-shirt.

He is plainly more drunk then what he had intended on being and he's now whishing that he had refused the last couple of shots Donghyuk had handed him. He can tell he's thoroughly intoxicated and he doesn’t need a sober person to second it. His mind is groggy, his vision masked by an overwhelming blurriness and he's feeling that all too cozy warm haze. That very murky thrill that is lulling him into a state of distant euphoria.

The effects of the alcohol and the slowly raising hand that is back on his thigh is all starting to feel too gratifying, too welcoming. He wants to get up and dance, to take Donghyuk’s hand and drag him to the nearest dancing crowd, or even just the closest available bedroom. He needs to move, to do something and cleanse himself before his mind tumbles further into that tormenting heaven.

JinJin stands and reaches for Donghyuk, taking the other's warm hands into his own

“Let’s dance.” He says pulling the younger from his seat before he can protest, leading him past that same colourless circle in the living room and past that sober mindset that's telling him he should stop while he's still ahead.

Away from all those thoughts that are implying he's too drunk for this and not fully comprehending, because he just wants to have fun. To not think for once.

“I thought you’d never ask.” Donghyuk laughs, gripping JinJin’s hand more comfortably. He knows Donghyuk must have been feeling it to, or at least be a little buzzed. The brunette had stopped talking endlessly a while back, which was something the younger never did and he can't help but take in Donghyuk’s strange behaviour. Take in those over the top, completely exaggerated expressions.

Maybe he is drunk, because it doesn’t feel right and nothings fitting together coherently anymore and for some odd reason he's okay with it.


Woohoo another chapter! 

  gif, astro, and yoon sanha image

Our terror couple >;)

gif, Ikon, and kpop image

I'm dying to see an Astro and Ikon interaction. 

PS. Highkey loving Astros comeback and lowkey crying inside because of Eunwoo's tears

astro, kpop, and eunwoo image

Until next time - breaking boundaries