Tasteless Mint Green

Paint Me The Colours Of The Rainbow

Tasteless Mint Green

JinJin dimly glances over to the soccer field and sighs as he places his utensils on the picnic table. He's suddenly feeling a loss of appetite. It's a slightly hotter day and he understands that the sun is probably marking his skin, but his watchful eyes never part from the current practice taking place, following as the figures kick blurred white balls around.

“You know, if you keep staring someone’s going to catch on, right?” A voice jokes dangerously close to his ear and it has him unconsciously jumping and guiltily turning away from the field. The individual swiftly takes the empty spot beside him at the concrete table and lightly drops his lunch tray down in the process.

“You should just go talk to him.” The said boy declares and it has JinJin twisting to fully face the new comer in shock. “And say what MJ that I’m completely head over heels in love with him?" JinJin mumbles out, pushing his own tray further away. "Pretty much." MJ shallowly laughs, but JinJin cuts him off before he can say more. "What will he ever see in me? I'm a…a nobody and him, he’s athletic, an excellent student and not to mention the most wanted man on campus. Get it through your head MJ, it will just never work.” JinJin huffs, solemnly pouting. “I’m fine with just crushing on him like a teenage girl and watching from afar.” He whimpers, before laying his head softly on MJ’s shoulder.

It appears as if most of their lunchtime get togethers involve discussing and poking fun at his little crush. He gets it, it is completely irrational and full of mystifying belief and he doesn't need to be constantly reminded on how much of an unsuitable match they are.

“Hey listen here. You’re so worth it. You’re great at dancing, you play the drums and you’re majoring in art. I think that’s pretty cool.” MJ lightly claims, petting JinJin’s head and ruffling his blonde locks. “Okay and he’s majoring in criminal law. Can’t you see? We’re just too different and what if he’s not even into guys.” JinJin lowly mumbles.

He appreciates MJ's efforts at trying to make this situation seem better, but it's becoming such a long drawn out topic. Why are they still bothering to even talk about this? Couldn’t he just for once watch the boys practice in peace without hearing it all?

“And that’s why they say opposites attract hyung.” Sanha buts in as he sits opposite of the two and his long legs are easily bumping JinJin’s bent ones. “Easy for you to say. You and MJ have been pretty much inseparable since you two got together. Be thankful you don't have to worry about this stuff and like did you guys even confess?” JinJin questions, taping Sanha with his foot.

If they're going to sit here and hassle him on his painfully non-existent love life, then he has a right to poke fun at their too obvious one, right?

“Actually, I did. So you better grow a pair Jinwoo and talk to him or else I’m… I’m.” MJ pauses and begins to tap a finger to his lips in wonder, obviously thinking of ways to torture him. “Or else we’re going to set you up on a blind date.” Sanha finishes for his boyfriend, who is still tapping his mouth in thought and JinJin’s eyes are widening at this unexpected proclamation. Excuse me?

MJ straightens, almost falling backwards and off the tables bench in the process. “Ah Ha! At Moonbin’s party” and Sanha hums in agreement, earnestly nodding his head. “That’s a great idea honey.” Sanha largely smiles and he sticks his hand up for a high five, which MJ excitedly slaps. “No, you came up with it. Where would I be without you?” MJ cheers, leaning over the table and closer to Sanha. “Don’t be like that.” Sanha laughs through his blush, also leaning over to playfully push MJ back.

JinJin silently watches, dumfounded as the couple gravitate towards each other. Their sharing a string of weird looks and delicate giggles and it's insanely cute. They're so happily into each other and so absurdly in love that it has him suddenly feeling sad for himself. They have each other for better and for worse. While here he sits utterly lonely and romantically inadequate.

All this building up tension is starting to have a negative effect on him.

“Ok, you two are too gross for me.” JinJin groans, feigning disgust to break the intense connection between the pair. “Oh, come on hyung! When’s the last time you dated?” Sanha asks now resting his chin on both hands, eager to hear JinJin’s past. "Now that I think about it, in the three years that I've known you hyung, you have never introduced a single one to me." The redhead mumbles and JinJin notes the way his lips are puffed in masked confusion as if the boy authentically thought he had people to introduce.  

He's about to openly laugh, but the realization of the younger's expression has him instantly freezing and he can feel the rosy sting of the blaring blush that is most likely adoring his cheeks. How could Sanha not know? 

How embarrassing

JinJin scrunches his brows together and worryingly bites his bottom lip. Why does he have to tell Sanha this humiliating truth? Explain to the innocent boy that he has never “actually” dated before and how that alone doesn't make him anymore of a . That he has had his fair share of shameful playing around and equivalent amount of endless heart breaks, regardless.

He's just waiting for the right guy to become close with. Someone who's perfect like prince charming and someone worthy enough to deserve his first love.

It's something only MJ knows and he's a little surprised that MJ hadn’t told Sanha yet, just because the two share everything and judging from the fact that every other dire secret had effortlessly escaped his best friend's mouth.

“I um…” JinJin's mentally preparing himself, getting ready to spill the guilty truth to the deserving boy, when MJ sneakily cuts him off. “You don’t know Sanha-ya?” He quietly asks lowering his voice into an almost whisper and Sanha dumbly shakes his head no. “This hyung here” the oldest says gesturing to JinJin “has never dated."

And JinJin groans, rolling his eyes. Could he have been a little less direct?

“JinJin hyung, I knew your love life was bad, but to find out you’ve never had one. Honestly if you don’t ask him out soon, we’re going to set you up. For reals.” Sanha voices while MJ provides JinJin with an agreeing nod, adding. “If you don’t talk to him before Moonbin’s party, we’re setting you up on a blind date. We dare you.”

JinJin knew he was doomed the minute the word 'dare' cleverly slipped past his hyung's pink lips. Understands that MJ set it up that way on purpose. He's fully aware of MJ’s love for games and gossip, especially if it involves a special person named himself.

MJ knows how nervous he gets at the mere thought of talking to Eunwoo, that this fidgeting anxiety comes to life and even imagining it now has his brain malfunctioning. He acknowledges every once of despair riddled concern and fathoms that there is absolutely no way he will ever have enough courage to approach his prevalent crush. A crush who might he add, is on everyone’s current to do list. He'll one hundred percent take on a blind date if it means not being humiliatingly rejected by the one person he has had the starving hots for and truthfully speaking, he doesn't want to witness how far these two will take his punishment.

JinJin glances back towards the field, where Mr. unattainable has abandoned his sweatshirt in favour for his fitted short sleeve and JinJin shudders at the thought of willingly attempting conversation with tall majestic man.

He knits his brows together.

“Whatever, I can do blind dates.” He mumbles, focusing back on the two insanely stupid lovebirds. MJ has unknowingly slid across the circular table and the idiots are now side by side openly holding hands. JinJin didn’t even notice their matching t-shirts, not until they had arms thrown carelessly around each other and it’s completely lame.

“Are you sure you don’t just want to talk to him, hyung?” Sanha questions in a mocking tone and a huge grin is playing on his puppy features. “Do you know what you’re getting into Jinwoo?” MJ challenges. “You could always just talk to him.” The brunette sings out, moving his finger with each syllable and making this intense cat like eye contact with him.

JinJin wishes these two would just stop playing around and for once act serious, because this is his life on the line.

“Do I have a choice, and any way hyung you know me better than I even know myself.” JinJin whispers and MJ purrs in approval, clasping his hands together.

“So, it’s settled. Sanha and I are going to pick you out a date for Moonbin’s party and you can’t back out.” MJ announces. “You have to pinky swear, hyung.” Sanha adds, extending his unlinked hand out to JinJin, who obviously has no other choice but to accept. “ it, I swear” JinJin recites, linking their pinky fingers together all while starting to stand.

He has recently found himself craving affection anyway so maybe a one night fling is what he needs, something to calm his itching and antsy nerves.

“And if you break this promise, hyung, I get to break your fingers.” Sanha nonchalantly says from his seat and now JinJin's fearing not only for his life, but also his beautiful fingers. He emptily stares at the innocent boy in disbelief all while silently cursing MJ for bringing such an unpredictable little monster into his life.

"I have to, yeah I have to go." He stutters out, adding something about having to be at class early because of a project as he starts to slowly back away from the two knuckle heads. He wants to leave before things get out of hand, before he unconsciously makes things worse and he genuinely needs the time to properly process his present predicament.

“I’ll text you the details.” MJ yells, startling JinJin. He spins back to the couple only to see them already sharing loud laughter and bright smiles.

And that’s when it hits him.

He has just willingly sold his soul to two devils and they're probably discussing how they will likely shake his quiet world. Stir it up and cause chaotic unnecessary damage. 

JinJin shakes his head to clear those menacing and cruel thoughts, effectively messing his straight locks. Maybe he's only dreaming, and when he glimpses at the lovers again, he finds himself anything but dreaming. He makes hesitant eye contact with Sanha, who lifts his hand and shallowly waves all while sporting a mischievous smirk. The audacity

He quickly turns around and starts walking faster away. He's still dazed, still lost in those limitless words and he just can't believe he agreed so easily to this whole show that is bound to happen at Moonbin’s party. Can't help but think he's totally screwed to the point of no return and not in the way he would have liked.

Dare? .... What are they in high school again?

JinJin slows his steps as he strolls along the path beside the soccer field, now out of the villainous couple's sight. The team is still practicing which means a lot of attractive sweaty men with barley any clothes on, are just beyond the small expanse of grass and it's exactly what he wants to see. It had become an obscure little habit and borderline obsession of his. For him to sit for hours and watch the boys practice. Even if his eyes are only ever on one specific person and there he is, guiding the team through a drill in all his hot, yet douchey glory. Sweaty and looking fine as hell.

He would give anything to have Eunwoo as much as cast a glance his way and when he says anything, he means anything. Eunwoo's perfect. He comes from a wealthy family, has won countless scholarships and sports medals. Plainly put everyone loves Eunwoo and guys like Eunwoo don't give guys like him chances. Eunwoo's prince charming and princes don’t go for anything but beautiful maidens. It's a cruel and sad reality and JinJin hates that his heart has choose to crush on such an unobtainable figure. 

It doesn’t occur to JinJin that he has reduced his pace and even stopped, till a soccer ball is coming straight for him. He doesn't have the time, or athletic reflexes to avoid the incoming sphere and before he knows it that said ball is bopping him directly on the head. It wasn’t a hit that JinJin couldn’t take, but there's certainly enough force behind it to somewhat cause a light bruise, he can feel its blossoming burn.

He brings his hand up to cup his forehead. . Well that hurt.

“Oh my god. I am so sorry.” A boy's calling out and running towards him. He's still holding his head as he scrambles to pick the ball up for the approaching individual. “I honestly didn’t mean for this to happen.” The soccer player pants as he comes to a stop.

JinJin's caught off guard by the stranger standing before him. He had thought he’d known everyone on the team, from secretly attending every game, but this guy… this guy is new and positively on the team. The bright faced brunette is wearing the school's signature white practice outfit and even though the sport garments are damp with sweat he still manages to make them look attractive. JinJin's not even going to lie about it and if this guy is on the team, he would have known.

“This is nothing.” JinJin mumbles out, holding the ball tightly to his chest. He's now feeling the embarrassment of taking a ball to the head, because not only did his crush have to witness, but because it just so happened to be caused by a stunning peer. “At least let me take you to the infirmary.” The individual remarks, but before he can take JinJin’s arm which he is trying extremely hard to do, JinJin swiftly hands him the ball.

“I’m ok really. I’ve taken harder hits.” JinJin forcibly smiles and he'll tell any lie to reassure this man that he is indeed okay and does not need any assistance. The other only pouts and takes the ball, carelessly placing it under his arm. “Well if you say so. Anyway, I’m Donghyuk.” He says reaching a hand out to JinJin, who hesitantly accepts it. “Jinwoo” He simply states before again telling the other that he is okay and that it's not a big deal.

JinJin turns to leave, but Donghyuk's stopping him.

“You should really go to the infirmary though. What if you have a concussion? Aigoo I feel so bad.” Donghyuk whines, rubbing his sweat stricken cheek and he's quickly reaching up to gently brush JinJin’s blonde locks aside so he can examine the damage.

JinJin jerks back, because the small action catches him completely by surprise. He can feel the eyes start to flutter towards them in interest and if MJ and Sanha hadn't already turned his mood sour, getting hit in the head with a soccer ball surely does.

Today is a terrible day. One of those days where it doesn't seem like he's himself, but only like faint ruminates of what he knows he should be, what society is troubling him to be and he's considering giving everything up. To just go home and maybe stay in bed for the next couple of days, or months, or even years. He's constantly noticing how these bad days turn into bad weeks and it's starting to run his engines dry. He can't fathom why dreadful things keep happening to him. He's getting too tired and depressed to be continuously dealing with it all wearing fake smiles and feigned happiness. 

“No, no. I’m telling you I’m fine.” JinJin sternly declares and he annoyingly looks past Donghyuk to only meet the eyes of his masculine team mates. They are clearly finding this situation amusing and JinJin freezes as Eunwoo’s face whips around to fully look their way.

And yup today is the worst day of his life.

He can sense his outward attempt at coming off as cool, begin to shatter and he closes his eyes wishing to disappear from this entire god forsaken scene. He needs to act now and act fast, because he can't physically bare to be in this predicament much longer. He has routines and talking to strangers is not apart of that, not something he does and he's starting to break under the weight of everyone's silent, yet pondering questions. 

He needs to get away

“I’m sorry, but I really have to go.” JinJin stammers and he wobbly twists to flee, but Donghyuk’s hand goes from his forehead to his forearm in one swift movement. What is this boy’s deal?

“Aren’t you from the art department? Isn’t it in the other direction?” He questions, while easily turning JinJin the opposite way. “Oh yeah, I guess.” He whispers feeling like a complete idiot and he's too anxious to question Donghyuk’s knowledge of what his studies are, because the pressures of being stared at is starting to dwell on him. Starting to push him out of his comforting cozy bubble and he doesn't like it one bit.

He presently is sweating to the point were little beads are slowing falling, faintly wetting his old short sleeved shirt and he's becoming increasingly light headed from breathing so heavily. If he doesn't leave soon he's going to start stressfully crying, or worse have an anxiety attack and that's the last thing he wants.

“At least let me walk you to class.” Donghyuk suggests, keeping a firm hand on JinJin’s elbow and he agrees, because he desperately needs to leave and if that means taking this Donghyuk guy with him, then so be it.

“Just let me put this away.” Donghyuk says raising the ball into the air as he skillfully walks backwards, keeping strict eyes on him. “You better not leave.” He shouts and he's spinning to speedily continue down the field.

Donghyuk’s running towards the very man who has been focusing so hard on their unfortunate meeting, approaching the captain of the soccer team also known to be most handsome man on campus, JinJin’s current infatuation and his eyes are fixed on JinJin’s in an awkward staring contest. Why is Eunwoo glaring at him? He starts fanning himself with his hand and focuses on Donghyuk instead, why is it suddenly so hot? The heaviness of the captain's piercing eyes is so fearfully demanding that is has JinJin lamely turning around and pretending to soundlessly be marvelling the sports building. The world must be ending, seriously.

When he had asked for Eunwoo to glance at him earlier, he meant lovingly and not with the eyes of a rabid animal ready to rip his throat out. Why does he look so angry? He worries over the situation as he waits for the strange brunette to reappear.

Soon enough Donghyuk's back, tapping JinJin’s shoulder and returning his hand to the blonde's elbow. “Ok, let’s go.” Donghyuk cheers, beaming an angelic smile and he just nods in agreement not wanting to fight this oddly persistent boy. He peeks back to the field one last time only to find the captain's commanding and bitter eyes still on them.

What the hell, really.

On the way to the art department JinJin learns that Donghyuk just transferred here on a scholarship and that he had only been on the team for a week now. He also learns that Donghyuk has a close friend in the fine arts class named Jinhwan, a senior to himself. He also mentally notes the boy's love for conversation. The brunette likes to talk and talk a lot.

“And that’s how my friend Chanwoo accidently ended up dating my best friend. He had blackmailed him.” Donghyuk loudly laughs, causing JinJin to also giggle. “You sure have a lot of stories.” JinJin replies, looking up and noticing his now approaching classroom. “I guess I do have a lot of stories.” Donghyuk agrees, lightly dropping JinJin’s arm.

JinJin thanks him, but before JinJin can officially take his granted goodbye, Donghyuk stops him for the second time that day. JinJin glances up meeting the others eyes, raising a confused eyebrow.

“Um, Jinwoo hyung.” Another thing JinJin had learned, Donghyuk is a year younger. “We should exchange numbers, so I can tell you more stories and …. And to make sure you’re ok.” Donghyuk shyly says, holding his phone out towards him and maybe Donghyuk's a little cute, just a little.

“Ok.” JinJin lowly replies, taking his phone out and handing it to Donghyuk. He places his information in Donghyuk’s device, limiting it to just his number and exchanges it back for his own.

Later, he'd say that he gave Donghyuk his contact because he felt bad for making the boy worry and clearly not because he looked tastefully good in those shorts.

“Hyung I’m going to text you later and make sure your head is ok, ok.” He chimes and points to the now purple bruise forming on JinJin’s forehead. JinJin only hums in response, before telling Donghyuk that he should hurry back to practice. Noticing that the walk took up a good chunk of time, he quickly bids JinJin a goodbye and runs back in the direction of the sports department.

After he watches Donghyuk disappear, he breathily exhales and enters the class room. Today had turned out to be entirely too much for him, probably the most trouble he has ever had within a single day. He gloomily takes his seat beside Rocky and they share a similar look of being completely done with life.

JinJin has a strange feeling that he has just gotten himself wrapped up in a big mess and he knows that for some odd reason, he's not going to come out of it unscratched.

 

Meanwhile MJ and Sanha are fighting over who JinJin’s date should be.

“Hyung stop trying to make assumptions on JinJin’s uality, I know…….” MJ shifts his eyes down during Sanha's mid-sentence and notices a rare text from Donghyuk.

Hey MJ hyung 

Jinwoo is very cute. I can tell why Eunwoo likes him. AND if he says anything about being hit in the head it wasn’t me ;)

MJ looks up, smiling at Sanha who's still strongly stressing his point and ranting. “…. I’ve never once heard that JinJin likes exclusively men. Hyung I think him and that girl from the biotech class would look cute together ah what was her name Cho…Choi Yoojang or something like that.” Sanha puffs out, deep in thought and emphasizing each word with his fast-moving hands.

“Sanha, if I tell you a secret will you promise not to tell JinJin?” MJ asks while seriously peering into his sweet boyfriend's eyes. “Hyung I would never.” Sanha scoffs as he touches his heart, a dusting of a blush grazing his plump cheeks.

“Ok, listen close” MJ says leaning in closer to Sanha. “Moonbin and I were talking about his party and I was a little curious for JinJin’s sake, so I asked him if Eunwoo was bringing a date because they're best friends and all. And you know what he said?" He questions and it doesn’t take Sanha long to reply with "Of course I don't." 

"He said that Eunwoo has had a long-time crush on someone.” MJ excitedly squeals, throwing his hands up and tightly hugging the redhead.

“Hyung, just because he likes someone doesn’t mean he likes JinJin hyung.” Sanha sighs, shaking his head. “Sometimes I think you’re dumber then me, you’re supposed to be the smart one in this relationship.” He adds, flicking MJ’s forehead.

“Ow, and I am smart. Get this, you know my friend Donghyuk right?” Sanha hesitantly nods. “Well, he told me that at practice the ever so cool captain can’t take his eyes off a certain blonde, who just so happens to be our friend.” MJ squeaks, pushing Sanha lightly.

“Hyung I don’t understand.” Sanha blankly mumbles. “What’s there to understand, Eunwoo likes JinJin end of story and I know exactly how to get them together.” MJ evilly proclaims standing, and gathering his lunch tray. “I just need to get Donghyuk on board. I’ll call you later.” He utters and before abandoning Sanha he places a light kiss on the boy's cheek. “Be good” he yells, leaving Sanha a little confused and bright red.

“JinJin better appreciate this.” MJ mutters to himself as he starts on his journey to find his long time no see, partner in crime Donghyuk.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's two days later when JinJin receives a text that reads

Jinwoo

Here’s the details. You will meet the person we have picked for you at Moonbin’s party. We are going to dress you two up in couple-shirts (aw), so you know who to look for. If you back out you have to confess to your little crush at Sunday’s soccer game. No excesses this is still a bet.

Love you, but not as much as Sanha

MJ

JinJin reads the text over and over. He doesn't have the heart to answer Donghyuk who's now bombarding him with messages.

To be honest JinJin's a little peeved at everything that's going on momentarily and he can't help but find himself becoming increasingly agitated by insignificant things since this little bet came into play. Things like how Sanha's too cute to function, how Donghyuk has such a sweet voice and . How Eunwoo is only growing more flawless as the days continue and how even innocent Rocky is pushing his buttons.

Like stupid couple-shirts, why would they do this to him.

He feels like he's having some abnormal midlife crisis over a stupid bet, which is honestly ridiculous and it's worse knowing that MJ's evil punishment won’t allow him to back out. There is absolutely no way he is getting out of this ludicrous dare and no way he can avoid these hammering, uneasy thoughts it's bringing to life.

JinJin sits on his bottom bunk seething, and cursing the two all while listening as his phone beeps with every new message Donghyuk sends.

Right now, Donghyuk’s constant texts are only adding fuel to the fire. He's going to get his revenge, he just needs to think of something equally, if not more humiliating. Does MJ think that because he has never actually dated that he can't get a man on his own? Is this his sick way of making fun of him? JinJin punches his pillow and lets out a growl of displeasure. them.

JinJin finds himself an hour later, sitting with brand new dye in his hair and angrily eating his favourite mint chocolates. He's going to be ready to impress and hit it off with whoever it is he must hook up with at that party. His only goal right now is to completely seduce this person and show MJ that he can be desired too. That he's not completely whooped in a one-sided crush.

He's going to spend the next couple of days dusting off his flirting skills, with only one objective in mind. To have this date take him home on Saturday, just to rub it in MJ’s face.

Rocky walks into his shared dorm room only to find his crazy hyung sitting on the floor, his hair evidently wet with dye and heavily grumbling as he paints his toe nails. Rocky closes the door and the click causes the older one to pause his paint job and glance up. They stay there silently looking in to each others eyes. Rocky's marked in confusion and JinJin’s in embarrassment.

“I don’t even want to know.” Rocky states, shaking his head. “I’ll spend the night at Moonbin hyung’s.” He adds, exiting the dorm room before JinJin can say anything, or even explain. He's too sober to deal with his roommate when he's so obviously in one of his erratic and weird moods.


A revised first chapter. I feel like this version is 100 times better and I hope everyone can enjoy it as mush as I do. 

- Breaking Boundaries