Glacius

Divided

 

Glacius - spell that transforms the target into solid ice

 

The event that the entire student population at Hogwarts was raving about was finally taking place: the Yule Ball.

 

Everyone attending was both anxious and excited. Every student attending had their pictuers taken by a reporter for the Daily Prophet with their housemates in their respective common rooms, to put up in the paper. The Yule Ball hadn't taken place ever since the last Triwizard Tournament, which was years ago, so something traditional coming back made news in the wizarding world. 

 

Jin, Wendy, Jungkook, Yeri, and Taehyung were waiting by the doors of the Great Hall for Seulgi and Irene before they all walked in together. It was fifteen minutes before the ball was to start, which didn't help with Taehyung's nerve. He wasn't so much nervous about participating in the Champion's Waltz with the rest of the Champions, but he was just anxious to see Irene.

 

"Come on Seulgi, it'll be okay! I already fixed the rip in your dress," Irene pulled Seulgi away from the sink, but Seulgi shook her head. "Do I look okay? I feel like I'm making a fool out of myself by wearing so much makeup," Seulgi grumbled, but Irene just chuckled. "You look beautiful, who do you think you are, huh? You're the Ice Queen, I didn't think you would care about what anyone thought of you." "Yeah but I'm just nervous because I've never dressed like this before . ." Irene sighed, turning to Seulgi. "You've never dressed like this before and you still look hot? Wow Seulgi, you can do anything." Seulgi looked up at her best friend's cheesy smile, and she broke into a smile as well. "You're lame, Irene." "Yeah I know."

 

"There they are!" Jungkook cried, pointing to two girls walking towards them. As the group turned to them, Irene waved and Seulgi looked down at the floor. "Sorry we're a little late, there was a little fashion mishap," Irene apologized, looking over at Seulgi, who smiled back at her. While Irene was busy chatting with everyone else, he was mesmerized with how beautiful she was. Sure, he would catch himself staring at her during classes sometimes, but seeing her now had a different effect on him. She was wearing a long, gold gown with sheer sleeves that complimented her so well. "Where'd you get your dress, it's stunning," Wendy complimented, staring at the bottom of Irene's dress. "My mother wore this dress to the Yule Ball when she was in her sixth year. After I wrote to her that I was going, she sent the dress to me," Irene explained, "but let's not talk about just me; you, Yeri, and Seulgi look amazing too." After chatting a bit more, Taehyung gestured everyone to enter the Great Hall, for the ball was about to begin.

 

Irene and Taehyung parted ways from the group after they walked into the Great Hall, as they were directed to sit at a table specifically for the Champions and their partners. The pair sat next to Tiffany and her partner, while Jimin and his partner were on the other side of the table. She made no eye contact with Jimin or his partner whatsover, and kept her focus on Taehyung. She chatted with Tiffany a bit before the Headmaster stood up to speak. As he welcomed everyone to the first Yule Ball in years, he expressed his happiness as a result of the Triwizard Tournament's revival, and acknowledged the Champions' bravery thus far in the tournament. After he finished speaking, the feast began.

 

Irene was irritated for the first ten minutes or so into the feast, as she could hear Jimin's date gush to him over and over about feeding him -- and to her surprise, he actually let her. "Could they be any more annoying?" Irene grumbled, stabbing her fork into the pot roast on her plate. Taehyung glanced over at Jimin, and then at his date, sighing. "I'm sorry Irene, maybe I shouldn't have asked you to go with me," Taehyung aplogized, but Irene just shook her head. "Don't worry about it, Tae. There's no one else I'd rather go with anyway," Irene replied, flashing him a sweet smile before looking back down at her food. Taehyung paused -- did she just compliment him? "Wait, what was that?" Taehyung asked, "you wouldn't go with anyone else?" Irene nodded. "I mean, I was close to going with Yoongi, but besides the fact that his bullying prevented him from attending, he doesn't enjoy these types of events anyway -- Namjoon too. It's just nice to go to something with you . . I guess. Remember when I used to ask you to play with me at the park when everyone else was busy? It kinda feels like that." Taehyung smiled warmly, and Irene looked up at him after she was done talking. "Why are you looking at me like that, huh?" she raised a brow and Taehyung smiled cheesily. "You miss me, huh?" "What -- where did you get that crazy idea from?" Taehyung leaned over to hug her, and she tried to push him away. "Yah, what are you doing! Get off, you're embarrassing me!" "Just admit that you secretly missed me Joohyun-ah, and I'll let go." "Kim Taehyung I swear you are dead to me after this ball --"

 

About two hours went by as everyone feasted together. Nearing the end of the second hour, the Headmaster announced the opening ceremony of the Yule Ball, and everyone cleared the tables while staff moved them to the back of the hall to clear room for a dance floor. As all of this was happening, the Champions were still sitting at their designated table while the students were standing to the side. Taehyung glanced over at Irene, who was fiddling with her fingers. He noticed that it was one of Irene's quirks that she did whenever she was nervous. "You okay?" he asked, and Irene looked up at him. "Uh, yeah -- just a little nervous," she chuckled, and Taehyung let out a hearty laugh. "You have insulted me countless times during class out loud while classmates watched, and you're nervous about dancing in front of them?" Irene looked down at her hands and laughed. "When you put it that way, it makes me feel a little better. I guess I just don't want to mess up in front of them." "You won't, you have me as your dance partner!" "Then that means I'll have a higher chance of messing up." "Yah, can't you have faith in me for just one second?"

 

As the champions were instructed to assume positions on the dance floor, Irene sighed in nervousness. They all stood up in sync, following the Headmaster. In the midst of it all, Taehyung grabbed Irene's hand from behind, and she was caught off guard. She looked up at him, but his focus was placed in front of him. Irene's face flushed a bit, but tried to maintain composure as she and Taehyung walked to the center of the room. All eyes were on the Champions. As the pairs got in the dance position and waited for the music to play, Taehyung could tell that Irene was still nervous. "Hey," he mumbled, and she glanced up at him, "eyes on me only, okay? If you look away and see how many people are looking at you, you'll get more nervous." Irene took a deep breath and nodded, smiling gratefully as he smiled back.

 

As they heard classical music resonating the hall, the pairs moved gracefully to the sound. While the pairs twirled and danced, Jimin tried his hardest to not make it seem like he was glancing over at Irene and Taehyung the whole time. The fact that Taehyung asked Irene to be his dance partner infuriated Jimin to no end, although he didn't really have a right to be. He was bothered that the whole time they were friends, Taehyung might have had secret feelings for Irene -- which he did, but Jimin had no idea of these said feelings. Now that Jimin was out of the picture, Taehyung decided to swoop in and charm Irene, Jimin thought, and he was irritated. He realized how big of a mistake it was to cheat when he would have conversations with the new girl he was dating. She was literally the most dull person to ever walk into Jimin's life. With Irene, they could talk for hours about their ideals, morals, philosophies, and their future goals -- something that he loved most about her. With this new girl, the most he could get out of her were basic replies and not very well-thought out answers. He ed up by cheating on Irene, and he was starting to realize it -- especially after Irene seemed to have bounced back from the break up so soon, although that wasn't the entire truth. 

 

When the song reached a certain verse, the staff joined in on the dance, and students right after. "See, everyone's dancing together now. No need to be nervous anymore," Taehyung reassured, and Irene smiled in relief. "I feel more relaxed now," Irene giggled, and Taehyung chuckled. "What would you do without me, am I right?" The two laughed together, unknowingly being glared at from the side by Jimin.

 

After the slow dance had ceased, Taehyung and Irene sat at a table in the back of the room with the rest of their group, who would not stop gushing over their opening dance. While Irene excused herself to the restroom to wash her hands, Taehyung sat by Jin as he listened to him. "Jimin was so angry, he was glaring at both of you the entire time," Jin snickered, "what a moron." "Yeah, his new girlfriend is pretty clueless too. She was smiling at him the whole time, oblivious to the fact that he wasn't even looking at her at all," Wendy added, Jungkook and Yeri nodding in agreement. "I don't know why he's so mad," Taehyung shrugged, "I mean he's the one that cheated on Irene anyway." The rest nodded and continued to talk about the opening ceremony.

 

Meanwhile, Irene was heading back to the Great Hall when she noticed Jimin walking towards her. Sighing, she walked around him, but he pulled her wrist to grab her attention. "Are you and Taehyung dating?" Jimin asked, and Irene rolled her eyes. "No, but it's not like it's any of your business anyway. I already told you that I want nothing to do with you anymore," Irene replied simply and tried to pull her arm away from Jimin, but he pulled her back to him. Taehyung decided to check up on Irene, as she took unusually long for just a restroom break, and witnessed Irene and Jimin's little encounter. "Irene, you're the love of my life and I'm sorry for everything that I've done --" "Love of your life?" Irene scoffed, pushing Jimin away from her, "If I really was the love of your life, you wouldn't have cheated on me!" Irene yanked Jimin's grip off of her and ran off in the opposite direction of the Great Hall. "Irene!" Taehyung ran after her, pushing Jimin out of his way.

 

Irene and Taehyung were sitting in silence at the same bench they met at when Taehyung opened up to Irene about Jimin's infidelity. Irene sobbed quietly as Taehyung rubbed her shoulder in a vertical motion. Taehyung noticed that a light snowfall had begun, so he paused to take off the long robe he was wearing to drape it over Irene. "It's cold, put that back on," Irene sniffled as Taehyung chuckled. "You're the one wearing less clothes than I am and you're telling me to put more clothes on? Yeah, try again," Taehyung tucked the robe onto Irene, securing it in place as he resumed to comfort her. Irene sighed deeply before speaking up. "I'm sorry -- I'm sure this isn't how you pictured going to the Yule Ball with me would be like." "Don't be sorry, Irene. I wanted to spend the rest of the night hanging out with our friends anyway, it's as if we were hanging out before houses split us up." Irene looked up at Taehyung. "You really do miss us, huh? I'm sorry." Taehyung shook his head, "It's okay. I know that Slytherins are full of themselves, so it's hard to change that." Irene punched his arm, and Taehyung winced, rubbing his arm. "Slytherins also don't dance very well," he added, and Irene chuckled. "Oh really?" Irene raised a brow, pulling away from him, "And who said?" "I said," Taehyung smiled innocently, "unless . . you want to prove me wrong?" Irene stared blankly at Taehyung. "Are you trying to beat around the bush into asking me to dance with you again?" "You know me too well, Irene."