Let's Hang Out

Good Night

 

Wonwoo was freezing as he sat in his freezer of a car. Tryouts for soccer had just ended and he decided to leave, but something was restraining him from doing so. He soon stepped out of his car, his heart leading him back to the grassy field. Wonwoo spent days, no, weeks, building up his courage to talk to Mingyu and he knew today was the day to do it. As he made his way up the slippery bleachers, he waited for the beautiful Kim Mingyu to make his way out of the steamy lockers. He didn't know what he was exactly going to say to the pretty boy, but he wanted to talk to him badly.  It was his dream, no, his lifes' intent to speak one word to the glorious man. 

As he sat, he couldn't take the intense cold and grabbed a large hoodie, previously his best friend Vernon's but he had stolen from him, from his small school bag and slipped it on. It immediately warmed him up, his skinny body relaxing underneath the thick fabric. As he breathed, he could see his breath in the air, his nose slightly running from the cold. As he sniffled loudly into the night, Wonwoo heard the doors from the lockers open and he decided to walk down the bleachers to see if Mingyu was coming out soon. Wonwoo carefully lifted his feet and stepped with emphasis, careful not to slip on the metal seats. As he hit the pavement, he was slightly hot in the hoodie, a cold sweat on his back. He shuffled behind the large stands and leaned on the structure, him getting a perfect view of the lockers doors. A few loud boys made their way through the red doors, but Wonwoo was only interested in seeing one boy. 

He waited a while, the cold wind fiercely biting at his skin. He slipped his hood on, the gray cloth covering his forehead, pressing his black fringe onto his pale skin. He stood shivering as the door opened, glowing almost, as the one he waited for stepped outside. His friend, taller than himself, Wonwoo suspected, stepped out with him and quickly caught sight of Wonwoo. He froze, seeing his friend whisper into Mingyus ear and his gaze drifting to where Wonwoo was standing. His throat went dry as he locked eyes with Mingyu, his body suddenly sweating. He felt like he was suffocating under his heavy covering as he watched his friend leave Mingyu and see him make his way towards Wonwoo. 

The beating of his heart was loud in his ears, his head pounding slightly at the sound. As Mingyu neared, Wonwoo was blinded by his looks, the structure of his body making him catch his breath. Although he has seen Mingyu almost everyday of his entire life, he was still blown away by his perfectness. Wonwoo almost forgot how to breath when Mingyu stopped walking, his feet planted only a few inches away from him. He spoke first, Wonwoo observing the way his lips formed the words as his hearing gave up on him. 

"Hey."

Wonwoo had a heart attack and died. Well, at least it felt like he did. Mingyus voice was soft like butter but he felt like he had a meaning after everything he said, even if he had spoken only one word to him. Wonwoo stood their, admiring the angel in front of him when he realized he had to say something back. 

"H-hi."

His voice was small, weak, fragile, like a child. Wonwoo felt his face turn bright red but it was too dark for Mingyu to even make out his sharp facial features. Mingyu spoke again, Wonwoo avoiding his face so he wouldn't choke up next time. 

"It's late. Why are you still here?"

The sincerity in his voice made Wonwoo feel like he was a child to him. Like he had no power over his own actions. He shrugged his shoulders but then quickly spoke, not wanting to show he was a true child. 

"W-well I uhm...was waiting."

Despite the dim light that shone on their faces, Mingyus still glowed brightly like a star. Wonwoo watched as his eyebrows rose on his forehead, his expression making a lump form in Wonwoo's throat. 

"Waiting for...?"

His voice hung in the air even after he finished his sentence. But the question hung unanswered, Wonwoo frantically thinking of a lie to tell the angel. 

"Uh...uhm...err I...uh..was waiting...for..."

Wonwoo looked around him and an idea popped into his mind. 

"Oh! I was waiting for the janitor...because....I. Got...detention...And I have to...clean the boys locker room. Yea."

As soon as he said those words, Wonwoo mentally face palmed himself. He sighed as he glanced up at Mingyus face, surprised to see a smile spread across it. 

"What?"

Wonwoo felt kinda hurt but at the same time relieved that Mingyu didn't think he was a weirdo. At least he didn't think he did. Mingyu chuckled, his breath seen in the air. The sound of his voice resonated into Wonwoo's mind, echoing throughout his thoughts. It made him shiver a little, surprised how a small sound could change the way Wonwoo felt. 

"Nothing it's just...I never thought you would ever get detention. I mean, out of all the people here? Never you."

Wonwoo's whole body relaxed when Mingyu said 'you'. It was such a good feeling to hear his voice, for real this time, talking straight to him and not Wonwoo having to easedrop on his conversations with other people, trying to distinguish his voice among the others. Wonwoo sighed a little, Mingyus expression changing slightly. 

"Uhh yea...I..uh..also watched the...soccer tryouts...you're good...like..hella good...."

Wonwoo blushed at his own words, speaking to the ground as his body burned up. He heard Mingyu chuckle again, the sound echoing in his head.

"I was glad you came actually. I was hoping you would come and watch...."


Wonwoo glanced up at him, noticing that Mingyu wasn't that much taller than he was, catching his eyes glisten under the stars. Wonwoo could stare into his brown orbs until the day he died, if he was given the time. They glowed brightly as if there was a light, trapped underneath them. Mingyu caught him staring intently at him and waved a hand in front of his face, laughing a little. Wonwoo slightly shook his head, bangs swaying lightly on his forehead. 

"U-uh oh...wait. You...were...glad? that I came?"

Wonwoo's question hung in the air like a smell from a sweaty sock. Mingyu looked at him like he didn't hear him, then suddenly snapped out of his trance. 

"I-yea. I did. Uhm...weird right?"

Mingyus little laugh interrupted the nights' silence, making Wonwoo burn up even more. He wondered if, if truly right then, this was happening? That The Kim Mingyu just said to him he was glad he came. To what, watch him sweat and beat other boys with rubber balls? Wonwoo almost laughed at his thoughts, speaking up to Mingyu,

"Hah, you're glad I came to see you sweat and beat other boys with rubber balls?"

Mingyu burst out laughing, the cold air nor longer quiet. Wonwoo smiled proudly to himself, happy with his accomplish. He smiled as Mingyu laughed, the crinkle of his nose setting him on edge, his brown hair flopping back on to the top of his head. Wonwoo sneaked a glance at Mingyus sharp jawline, it bobbing up and down as the sounds of his laugh escaped from his smiling mouth, different shapes of smoke-like puffs drifting out from his cavern. Wonwoo stood up straight, Mingyus laughter somewhat putting strength into his system, building up his self esteem. He was now almost eye level with Mingyu, the boy settling down from his laugh attack. He sighed, cocking his head as he stared at Wonwoo, their bodies closer now. 

"I didn't know the quiet, bookworm was a funny one. "

Crescent eyes stared through Wonwoo's eyes, piercing his soul, his heart melting at the small gesture. He smiled genuinely at Mingyu, the silence once again coming over them. It wasn't an awkward, tense silence though; it was a tranquil, savory kind of quiet. And Wonwoo was happy to be able to spend it with Mingyu. Then it was broken, Mingyus voice ringing loudly. 

"Well uh—thanks for coming today. It was nice to see you. Out. For once."

Mingyu chuckled softly, Wonwoo smiling a little. Mingyu stepped back a little, hesitant with his movement. Wonwoo chose to speak once more to the angel. 

"It was nice. Watching you. I mean—tryouts. Drills. Rubber balls. Uh."

Wonwoo then shut up, cursing himself quietly. Mingyu laughed again and hesitantly but softly laid his hand upon Wonwoo's relaxed shoulder, slightly caressing it. Wonwoo died again, except in the fires of hell because his body was burning hot. The feeling inside him, was like no other. His head was light and airy, it felt like his neck was holding up absolutely nothing at all. His chest felt as if something heavy was lifted from it and breathing was the easiest thing to do. His stomach, warm and familiar, felt like he had a nice, hot bowl of soup; not too hot but just right, to warm up his entire body.

"Well, uhh. I'm heading out now. Say, we should hang out some time, hmm?"

 And then it was gone, vanished into the air as Mingyu let go, waving to Wonwoo before backing away, then turning towards the parking lot, his frame becoming smaller and smaller as he jogged further and further away from Wonwoo. He then saw Mingyu stop in his tracks, spin around with his hands cupped around his mouth. 

"Good night, Jeon Wonwoo!"

His smile was heard along with his words and Wonwoo felt his ears go red. He lifted his hands to his face, yelling back:

"Good night, Kim Mingyu!"

Before Mingyu turned away, Wonwoo saw a flash of his pearly white teeth, feeling himself smile widely than ever before.