Soccer Try-Outs

Good Night

 

 

"Mingyu-ah! You coming?"

Seongcheol was heading into the locker room and was calling back to Mingyu, who was staring intently through a large, glass window. Wonwoo was sitting with a book in his lap in a crowded classroom, earphones in. His jet black hair swept over his face as he leaned over his book, crouching as he read. Other kids were studying or playing around, interacting with other human beings but Mingyus focus was on the quiet boy in the corner, his face stuffed in a book. Seongcheols hand suddenly came down onto Mingyus shoulder, scaring him as he began to speak loudly. 

"Dude. If you really like him, why don't you just talk to him?"

Mingyu sighed, taking one last glance at the slouching boy before walking away from the window. He started towards the lockers as he spoke. 

"It's not that easy! He's super quiet and I've never spoken to him in my life! What if he doesn't sound the way I think he would sound? Even worse, what if he doesn't even like me?"

Mingyu went on and on until they arrived at the lockers. While inside, Seongcheol and him quickly changed into their soccer cleets and shirts. Tryouts were today and Mingyu was hoping to make a spot on the team. When tryouts usually went on, girls would sit on the bleachers and watch the boys. Mingyu hoped that Wonwoo would come out and watch him, but he doubted it since he's always got a book under his nose. (And the fact that Wonwoo probably doesn't even know Mingyu at all to come out and watch him sweat) Mingyu sighed at his thoughts and jogged to the tracks with Seongcheol, a crowd of girls already gathered around the grassy field. 

"Ladies please step aside onto the pavement. No one should get hurt here—AHH! the boys are here!"

Their coach was tall and muscly, Mingyu observed. As they jogged past the girls, they started screaming and cheering, yelling a bunch of 'fighting OPPA!' And 'you'll make it!'. Seongcheol waved at the groups of ladies, them screaming even louder. Mingyu scoffed and ran onto the grass, stretching right away. 

"Hey, isn't that the kid you were staring at a while ago?"

Mingyus eyes shot up to the stands once Seongcheol spoke. He scanned the seats, his heart beating in his chest and sure enough, low and behold, the jet black hair seated at the very top, right corner of the stands. Wonwoo was shivering as he sat, away from everyone else. He looked very uncomfortable where he was, scanning the sky and trees around the small field. Mingyu smiled a little to himself and got off the ground, jumping a little bit. A whistle blew and everyone went quiet, even the group of fangirls. All attention was on the coach. 

"Alright students! Listen up! We will do some drills to warm up and then end with a scrimmage game."

The girls went wild, cheering for individual students when the coach blew his whistle even harder, shutting them up. 

"As I was saying, I will put you in groups for the drills and then change them for the game, depending on how well you condition. Understood?"

The boys yelled a loud 'NE' in unison. Then the coach started to group people up. Mingyu was luckily put with Seongcheol. He was a hard working kid, both on the field and off. He was even good looking, most girls had a crush on him. But he was Mingyus best friend and he couldn't possibly be jealous of him. He was proud of him, since before when they were little, Seongcheol was a scrawny kid that got bullied a lot. That's when Mingyu and him first met.  Some tall kid made fun of Seongcheols tininess and Mingyu had stepped in, taller than Seongcheol and the bully, yelling and pushing him to leave him alone. From that day on, Seongcheol and Mingyu stuck. He's surprised how Seongcheol turned out; taller, muscular, hotter and even smarter than Mingyu. But that never stopped their strong friendship and trust.

They began to condition, the girls chanting louder than ever. First up was a set of lunges across the field. Mingyu stayed by Seongcheols side the whole time, glancing once at the stands to see Wonwoo. He was staring right at Mingyu and when he realized Mingyu was looking back at him, he turned his head and began to observe other boys. Mingyus heart began to beat loudly in his ears, his blood rushing. He elbowed Seongcheol as they reached the end of the field. 

"Dude, he was staring at me!"

Mingyu spoke in a hushed whisper into Seongcheols ear. Seongcheol laughed and smiled at him. The coach, from the other side of the field then yelled at them. 

"Ok now sprint back here and do thirty push ups!"

Mingyu sprinted with all his might, the girls screams ringing loudly in his ear. Once he got to the end of the wet field, he fell to the ground and did his push-ups fiercely. The girls started to chant his name, 

"KIM MINGYU! KIM MINGYU! KIM MINGYU!"

Mingyu was the first to finish and jumped up and onto his feet, breathing heavily. The girls went wild, Mingyu waving up at them. They screamed as Mingyus eyes wandered to the top of the bleachers, Wonwoo smiling a bit as he stared at Mingyu. Mingyu flashed him a smile then turned back to the coach, the adrenaline inside him pulsing. It went on like that, conditioning, girls screaming, Mingyu catching small smiles on Wonwoo's face, him pushing hard throughout the drills. When it was time for the scrimmage and new groups, Mingyu got paired up with a short, pink haired boy and another boy with really long hair. He almost mistakened him as a girl, but soon realized he wasn't one. 

"Alright guys, we better beat their asses because I want to make this team."

Mingyu was surprised when the little pink haired boy spoke, his looks soft but words harsh. 

"It's not only you who wants to make the team, Woozi. I do too and he probably does too."

The small boy, named Woozi, glared at the long haired boy and glanced up at Mingyu then turned away to stretch his arms. 

"Don't worry about him. Let him be goalie, his short legs don't get him far."

As soon as those words escaped his mouth, Mingyu saw the long haired boy falling, his screams being muffled by Woozi's foot in his mouth. Mingyu gasped loudly, not knowing what to do. But Woozi soon got off and glared at Mingyu before walking to the goal, his short strides making his hair bounce on his head.  Mingyu helped the boy up, grass stuck in his long hair. 

"Jesus he's a mini satan!"

Mingyu spoke quietly, afraid he might get attacked too. 

"Yea well. I'm used to it by now. I'm Jeunghan by the way."

Mingyu bowed to him and introduced himself as well. They spoke for a while then heard the whistle go off. The three walked to the middle of the field, the girls starting to cheer for separate boys now. He heard choruses of 'Woozi! Woozi!' And 'Seongcheol! Seongcheol!'  Mingyu looked up at his opponent team to find Seongcheol on it, him wirily smiling back at him. 

"Alright teams! Treat this like a real game. I will be observing not only your skills and abilities to play, but also teamwork and strategies you come up with! Alright, play your hearts out! Go!!"

Jeunghan started, kicking the ball to his left, the stands going wild. Mingyu caught the ball under his foot, observing the people around him as he dribbled closer to the goal. Seongcheol neared him, smirking at him as he stood in front of the goal. Mingyu passed it to Jeunghan then ran further back, Jeunghans hair flying behind him as he ran and kicked the ball back to Mingyu, him aiming and kicking with all his might, twisting his leg to put a great spin on the ball. Seongheol, falling to the ground, missed the ball, it heading straight into the net. The crowd went wild into the night, feets stamping and voices rising. Mingyu ran back to his side of the damp field, a big smile on his face. The night air was cool on his face as he jogged back, earning a high five from Jeunghan. Mingyu glanced up at the stands to see Wonwoo full on smiling at him, blushing and turning away as they made eyecontact.  Mingyus heart fluttered at his smile, his lips turned up perfectly at the sides, his eyes turned into crescents and glistened under the starry night. Mingyu used Wonwoo's smile as motivation and throughout the night, he played better than ever. 

As the game ended, Mingyus team winning 30-15, the boys all shook hands, sweat covering their entire bodies, heavily breathing into the night air. They all gathered around the ground bench where some students were pouring water into small cups. As they drank, the girls continued to cheer and chant, their breaths visible in the night air. They sat and took some breathers as their coach spoke. 

"Nice job today kids. I'm impressed with what I saw out their. Many of you exceeded my expectations."

The girls screamed louder, Seongcheol highfiving Mingyu as a smile printed on his face. 

"But many of you did not meet any. And since there are so many of you trying out, it's going to be hard to make a team. Without further ado, thank you for coming boys and I'll see you all again soon!"

All the boys thanked and bowed to their coach before getting their things and heading to the lockers. As Mingyu grabbed his bag, he took one last glance up at the bleachers to find Wonwoo was no where to be seen. His heart sank a little as he trudged back to the lockers. All the other boys were loud and rowdy as they showered and changed but Mingyu stayed quiet and to himself. He kept thinking to himself and Seongcheol noticed. 

"What's up?"

Mingyu looked up at him and shook his head, taking off his sweaty tee-shirt. He sighed, stuffing it into his bag an heading for the showers. Seongcheol ran after him, pestering him. 

"Oh come on Mingyu. At least he came to watch, right? He was even looking at you! And he probably left because he had homework or something."

Seongcheol stood next to the shower head as Mingyu turned it on, water sprinkling from it. He drowned his body in the steamy liquid, his muscles relaxing from the heat. Seongcheol sighed and hit his arm. 

"But hey.... When we were scrimmaging... That kid on your team...what's his name?"

Mingyu grabbed some shampoo as he looked at Seongcheol in confusion. His face was a red color and he was rubbing his neck, a habit Mingyu knew he did when he was embarrassed. Mingyu raised his eyebrows, Seongcheol whining a bit. 

"You know....the one with the long hair?"

Seongcheols voice was a small whisper, Mingyu having to lean in to hear what he was saying. As he stood straight, Mingyu spoke quietly. 

"He said his name was Jeunghan. Why?"

He looked quizzically at the tall boy, his whole face gone red. Mingyu gasped, Seongcheols eyes searching around the white walls to avoid his expression.  

"No way. No ing way you like him??"

Seongheol slapped a hand over his mouth, water splashing this way and that. Mingyu laughed beneath his skin, the sounds muffled. Seongcheol glared at him and Mingyu settled down. He turned off the water after rinsing his hair and grabbed a towel. They both walked back to their lockers, Seongcheol embarrassed and Mingyu smiling wildly. As they changed, Mingyu kept laughing. 

"Dude HAH I thought he was a girl!!"

Seongcheol frowned at him, silently stuffing his bag with his sweaty clothes. As Mingyu put on some fresh, new clothes, Seongcheol spoke in a hurt voice. 

"Hey, you like guys too so why are you making fun of me when I do?"

Mingyu sat down to put his shoes on and scoffed up at Seongcheol. He jumped up, wet hair dampening his shirt, putting a hand on his broad shoulder. 

"I didn't know you were gay!"

Seongcheol pushed his hand off in disgust, his voice a fierce whisper. 

"Why do you sound happy?"

Mingyu laughed, the sound ringing throughout the steamy room. He messily dried his hair with a small, yellow towel, speaking as he ruffled his brown locks. 

"Because, now I'm not the only one!"

Mingyu laughed again, his stomach aching from the pain. Seongcheol went red again and punched Mingyu to make him stop laughing. 

"Yea whatever. But this stays between you and me."

Mingyu hung his towel neatly on a hook inside his red locker when his face went bland. Then he cocked his head to the right, slowly turning to face Seongcheol.  

"What about Jeunghan? I can ask if he's gay."

Seongcheols eyes lit up at his words and he smiled brightly at Mingyu. 

"You would do that?"

Mingyu rolled his eyes, picking his bag up as he headed to the door. He closed and locked his locker, kicking a bag out of his way as he walked. 

"Of course I would. You're my best friend man. Plus, I can tell he's your type."

Mingyu opened the door, a small smile on his lips. Seongheol let out a sigh and caressed his neck in an affectionate way. As Mingyu stepped outside, the night air made him shiver. He took in a deep breath, his lungs crying out in joy from being suffocated by the steamy lockers. Seongcheol hit him softly on the back and whispered quietly in his ear. 

"Thanks man. And good luck to you because I see emo boy over there waiting for you."

Mingyus heart skipped a beat at Seongcheols words and turned his head in the direction he was looking. Sure enough, standing timidly next to the tall bleachers, Wonwoo was shivering in a hoodie that was too big for him. Mingyu got all heated just looking at him, his frame looking so small in the oversized jacket. Seongcheol patted his back again and headed towards the parking lot. He smiled back at Mingyu, shooting him a double thumbs up before disappearing behind the tall brick building. Mingyu waved then turned back to the bleachers, taking one small breath before taking a step.