Still Missing

The Quake Inside Me

D.O.:

I stared at my hands. The skin was so clean. I hadn't seen my skin so dirt-free in weeks. I rubbed my palms together and sighed. Where has she gone? I couldn't help but feel some resentment toward Kai for bringing me here. I was so distraught with worry over my dog that I couldn't even find the strength in me to eat.

"You must eat and become strong or you won't make it here.", Kai said.

I stared at my food. It looked so unappetizing.

"Eat."

I pushed some noodles around with my chopsticks, the sauce coating the tips of the wood.

"I can't.", I said. "I don't want to stay here."

Kai stood quickly and reached his arm out to grab my shirt collar. "You will eat. You cannot leave. Suho will kill you if you try to leave. You know too much about who we are and what we can do."

I pulled away from him and refused to look him in the eyes.

"I didn't ask you to bring me here!". I shouted.

I became nervous as soon as I looked up to see him quivering. His muscles were tensing and his fists balled up. His eyes were like stone on mine. 

He raised his arm as if he were going to slap me.

I flinched and my eyes closed; afraid of what was to come.

My food was slapped from my lap and I sighed with relief that he had not hit me, but I was still frightened by his outburst.

He turned away and left the room.

The walls shook as the door was slammed shut. A silent ring resonated in the air and my face welled up with heat. I tried to keep from crying, but I couldn't stop the wetness from leaving my tearducts. I stifled a sob and rested my face in my hands. The tears ran between my fingers and dried salty on my skin. Why?, I asked myself.