Preparing

The Quake Inside Me

Kai:

I tossed D.O. a brush and told him to brush his hair. He reluctantly brought the brush to his hair and began to pull it through. I looked away after he followed my order and I began rummaging through my desk drawer, looking for some scissors. 

"I am going to cut your hair. It's much too long. You're going to eat while I work on it."

Once he finished untangling his head of hair I tossed the takeout box of noodles into his lap.

"Eat this and be still."

I ran my fingers through his hair a couple of times before I started cutting. His dark locks fell in feathered piles at my feet. His hair smelled like my shampoo and made my nostrils tingle. It was a strange feeling. I liked that he smelled like me after using my shower. 

"I will introduce you to each member tonight. You must learn their names and their abilities, and you must learn your place, under me. I am the youngest here, but I am far from the lowest ranking. Suho is our leader and you must obey him. If you defy him you will not be able to leave this place alive. I am fully responsible for your actions and I will take matters into my own hands if I have to. Is that clear?"

He hummed in agreement as he chewed on his food.

"Aren't you going to eat, too?", he asked.

I ignored his question and finished his hair.

He sat silently as I tousled his mop and dusted the loose hairs out onto the floor. "You look presentable now.", I said.

He turned around and smiled. "Thank you."

I ignored him again and sat at the desk, as I opened my sack of food and began eating. He sat silently and watched me eat.

"When are we going to look for Sun-ah?"

My jaw tightened and I set my chopsticks down. "I thought I told you to shut up about that dog."

He looked down into his lap, ashamed. 

I sighed. "We'll look tomorrow." 

I turned away as his face brightened and he looked at me with delight. My face wanted to blush when his smile widened and his eyes gleamed. I felt embarrassed by his reaction. "It's a waste of time to think about such useless things. Finish your food."

Why does this boy make me feel so easily embarrassed?