Training

The Quake Inside Me

Kai:

"What do you mean you can't bring it out?", I shouted.

"I don't know how!"

I grimaced and grabbed his wrist. A pang of guilt flooded through me as I felt his body retreat away from mine. His wrist was so thin and his skin so delicate. I felt like a beast around him. He just seemed so weak, but I knew he wasn't. I knew deep down inside that there's something extraordinary about this boy. 

"When are we going to look for Sun-ah?"

I threw his arm down and turned away from him. "Why do you always ask about that dog?!"

"Because I care about her!"

I turned to face him again and stared him in the eye. This time, his bravery did not waver. His brows were furrowed and his jaw taught. This was the first time I had seen him this way; the first time I had seen him become defiant.

"You will listen to me when I tell you to stop asking about the dog. We will look later."

I could see his visual upset as he became frustrated and angered.

"I don't want to wait any longer. She must be lost!"

"We will look when we are finished training for the day!"

I took his hand and balled it into a fist.

"Keep practicing! You must become stronger!"

He his fist into my palm and I deflected it easily. 

"You are weak!"

He again. 

"Weak!"

Again.

"You must try harder!"

Again.

I shouted, "Keep going!"

As he continued to throw punches into my palms, trying to overpower my block, I could see his legs start to quiver. I wondered if I was being too harsh on him.

"What's wrong, you can't continue? You must. You're too weak. Keep punching!"

Just as his fist collided with my palm one more time I felt the earth beneath my feet rumble slightly.

D.O. fell to his knees and began crying. His shoulders fell and his face contorted into despair and worry over that dog. 

My eyes widened with realization as the trees murmered and creaked, groaning and bowing as the ground beneath them tremored. This boy has the power to control the earth! He's causing an earthquake!

"Is this your power?", I asked him.

He didn't seem to hear me, as he was sobbing.

"D.O.! Is this what you can do?!"

He looked up at me, tears staining his cheekbones and his lips red and plump. He looked around and saw the trees swaying. 

"You're doing it! You're bringing out your power!"

As soon as I began to get excited it died down and he stopped crying.

"It only happens when I'm upset. I can't control it.", he sniffled and wiped his tears on his forearm.

I stood quietly, watching him as he calmed down.

"We'll look for the dog now. You were able to bring out your ability but you must also become physically strong if you want to survive. Hold onto my arm and I'll take you to the place I found you."

He pressed his hands to the ground and pushed himself onto his feet. His movements were stiff and I could tell it took much strength for him to do so. He must have been malnourished. He grabbed my shirt sleeve and I closed my eyes, concentrating on the place where I had found him. Within moments, we were leaving our current place and warping to our desired location.