Presentation

The Quake Inside Me

Kai:

"What is this? Why have you brought a boy?"

I tightened my grip around the body of the frail boy. "I want him as my own."

"What does this mean? Is he like us? Do you intend to train him?"

I shook my head and bowed my chin over him. "I do not know, but something tells me he is special. He is different. I can feel it. I will raise him and teach him skills that are necessary to be a contributor to our organization. He will not be a bother. I can assure you. I will take full responsibility."

Suho groaned and rubbed his chin. 

"Alright. Do as you please."

I bowed and thanked him.

He grabbed my shirt collar and brought my ear close to his face.

"But don't disappoint me, Kai." 

His saliva spattered against my jaw and I quavered. 

"Yes, sir."

I looked down at the boy in my arms and hid a smile from Suho. I then took the boy to my living area and laid him on my bed. I began washing his face with a wet cloth and inspecting his body for signs of illness or wounds. I took one of my shirts and a pair of shorts and laid them out on the bed. I felt nervous as I was about to change him, but I promised myself I would protect him and establish a life here for him. I had to do everything that was necessary to form him into our lifestyle. I began taking off his clothes and replacing them with my clothing. After he was changed and his face was cleaned he looked very different from the dirty, weak boy that I had found lying in the dirt. I let myself stare at his face, exploring every surface and every cute quality. He was definitely handsome, with masculine qualities, but there was a tenderness and delicate look to his features too. I let my eyes graze over his swollen lips and my gaze traced over his cheekbones to his eyelashes. I found my heartbeat speeding up; then his eyelids twitched, and my heart came to a halt. I dropped to my knees and crouched beside the bed, holding my breath.

Is he waking up?

I pressed my hand onto the edge of the bed and slowly peered up at him. His eyes were open and searching the room. When he realized he didn't recognize this place, he sat up suddenly and scooted his back up against the headboard. I stood up slowly and peered curiously at him.

"It's okay, I brought you here to keep you safe. I found you. In the forest.", I said.

His lips parted and a soft hum came out. His voice cracked as he tried to speak, as though he hadn't spoke in days. "Where am I?"

I peered at his arms, thin and pale. Then his legs, the same. 

A tear fell down his face and rolled silently over his lips. "Where is Sun-ah?"

I sat at the edge of the bed. "Who is that?"

"My dog! Where is she?"

I furrowed my brows and remembered the dog that had threatened me. "I don't know. I left it behind." 

The boy hurried onto his knees and grabbed my shirt sleeve. "Please, take me to her! I have to find her!"

I rubbed my head and pushed his hands off of my arm. "Why? It's just a dog. It'll be fine." 

Tears were streaming down his face, his cheeks rosy and eyelashes wet. "She's my friend! I can't leave her alone!" 

I suddenly felt irritated and stood up. I threw him a towel and told him to shower. "Clean yourself up. We'll go get the dog later." 

I left the room and closed the door behind him. Reaching my hand into my back pocket to pull my wallet out, I thought about the dog, then shook my head. I can't let him have the dog. Suho won't permit it. 

I walked up to my colleague, Chanyeol, and tossed him some money. "Can you go pick up some takeout for me? Buy enough for two. Whatever money's left over you can keep."

He raised his eyebrows."Enough for two? Did you bring an here? You're not supposed to bring them here, Suho won't like that."

I waved him close and spoke quietly so only he could hear. "No, I found a boy. I spoke to Suho already. I'm going to keep him."

"What can he do? Is he like us?"

I shrugged. "I don't know yet. But he's different. I can tell."