2nd mouth : Baby is babbling

9 Months

2am Yu Jin is crying for the nth time and Mai didn’t sleep more than 2 hours. It was the 3rd month of baby Yu Jin and still no full night. One day Taemin came back home late and crossed his wife in the corridor with his little boy in her arms. He got scared by looking at her. She looked like a vampire, very pale skin, big eye bags almost purple by all her lack of sleep.  He almost expected her to roar at him. He pitted her and took his son from her arms. Then like a robot she automatically walked back to bed. He laughed but felt a bit guilty. Because of his crazy schedules he wasn’t very often at home and it was worst at night.

Mai took that habit to write a baby diary, so that Taemin could know how Yu Jin evolves or what cute action he did. So that Taemin wasn’t really missing his son growing up.

3 month later, baby was finally giving his mom some respite and started doing 6 hours of sleep by night. One day Taemin came back home earlier than scheduled in the afternoon after a recording and met his lover sleeping on the sofa. She had wide opened and her belly was saying hello from under her top. He giggled and smiled at his courageous wife. He closed , put a cover over her body, and gave her a forehead kiss. She was so cute.

He then went to Yu Jin’s bedroom. Because his father made too much noise Yu Jin got grumpy and started crying. Taemin a bit clumsy took his baby in his arms and rocked him.

“La, la, it’s okay. It’s daddy. I’m sorry. I woke you up. La, la, my son, la, la.”

He sang a bit of a ballad and the boy calmed down after putting his small thumb in his mouth. This made his father’s heart melt. He never really had the time to enjoy this kind of parental happiness and this reminded him that Mai talked about it all the time in the diary. Thinking of that he took the book and started to read today’s page. When suddenly a flying page fell on the floor, he bent the best he could, avoiding to make Yu Jin falls.

“To be honest I’m a bit worried. I can’t tell your dad because he would feel guilty. You did your nights really late and now you don’t make any bubbling, all you do is crying. The doctor said I shouldn’t worry but what if you were a bit late compare to other children? You are my first baby and I worry for a lot of things unnecessarily but what if? I would still love you and protect you but all I want is you to be fine without problems…”

It was the first time Taemin was reading her worries. She always sounded so happy in the diary.  Why couldn’t she tell him? Was he so unreliable? Or maybe he was too busy to see the worries getting to his wife. She was right, he was feeling guilty now when suddenly an idea crossed his mind after a look at his son.  

“Yu Jin ah, you come with daddy? Let’s give mom a bit of rest, okay?”

He smile maliciously and prepared everything before leaving the house forgetting the baby’s bag in front of the door.

*~*~*

“Oh Prince Taemin, are you saving me from the dragon?”

In her dream, the princess Mai was prisoner in her own castle by the dragon Yu Jin. The dragon filled her home of diapers and he was making terrible cries and screams.

*~*~*

“Hey hyungs! –said Taemin entering the practice room his baby’s car sit around his arms.

-Hey Taem… wait?! –answered Minho

-Yes I brought Yu Jin! I have a mission for you all! – He said all smiling almost giggling.

-Mission? With Yu Jin? – Questioned Key.

-Yes mission! – The maknae winked.

-What kind? What kind? - Said Jinki suddenly all excited by looking at the two babies in front of him.  

-Making Yu Jin bubbling!

-EH?! – screamed the 4 hyungs as one voice.”

Taemin explained how Mai was worried about that.

“Anyway, we already know the choreo, no? Let’s takes the break we all need and play with Yu Jinnie.”

The 4 boys looked at each other, then at Taemin with the maxi cosi stuck on his arm and couldn’t restrain an “awn”. It was too cute.

“Fine but just the first hour – ended the leader”

Taemin’s face illuminated with a smile brighter than the sun.

“Thank you Jinki hyung!”

*~*~*

“Prince Taemin? Where are you going? Be careful it’s dangerous!”

The prince gave her an evil look.

“Kya! Again! My dark lord!”

Then the prince entered the castle to save the princess but when he faced the dragon Yu Jin, he ran away crying of fear because it changed into a butterfly.

“Prince Taemin?! Ya! Come back! Don’t let me alone here! Prince! Prince!

-TAEMIN! – She yelled while waking up – You brat you left me with the dragon – She screwed him.

*~*~*

“Yu Jin! Yu Jin! Look at uncle Minho! See how funny this is!”

Minho was juggling with his soccer ball. That same ball that made Key do a comment. “You bring a ball in the practice room? Why?”

Minho was trying his best, doing figures no one ever see, that looked impossible to imitate but Yu Jin remained impassive.

“-Minho hyung out! – Said Taemin

-No, no, I can make it!

-Just admit you lost against a baby – giggled Key followed by the 3 others.”

They knew how Minho hated to lose.

Minho putted “I didn’t. He’s just not into soccer

-Yes, yes… Let me try now. – exclaimed Onew.”

He squatted in front of the maxi cosi and smiled to mini Taemin.

“He looks the more and more like you. He has the same eyebrows. – He laughed – Are you ready Jin ah?

Jinki counted to 3 and made Donald duck sound. Yu Jin surprised widened his eyes and stopped moving.

“Oh he reacted! – Said Taemin – Try one more time!”

Onew did it a second time and got the same reaction but this time baby almost cried.

“Okay, he is scared in fact – Burst out of laugh Minho.

-It’s ok Yu Jin ah, it’s ok. Daddy’s here. Don’t cry.

-I’m sorry Taemin I failed.

-No problem Jinki hyung. Thank you for trying! Who wants to be next?

-Me! Let me try something different. – Answered Jonghyun.”

He sat on the floor in front of the baby’s car sit then warmed up his voice.

“Monkey monkey magic! Monkey magic!”

He was making funny faces but Yu Jin was just looking at him judging with his eyebrows probably thinking that he was a strange uncle.

At the end of the song Jonghyun looked back at him and understood his fail.

“Ya nephew! This was funny! I put all my heart in it! – He whined

-OUT! – Screamed Taemin – Kibum hyung you’re last.

-Okay!”

Key hold the baby in his arms, started doing aegyo and spoke with a cute voice.

“Yu Junnie! Bummie wants you to speak back to him! You don’t want? Yu Jinnie what do we do?”

He made cute noises and played with baby’s hands.

Suddenly Yu Jin’s mouth opened. They all hold back their breath.

*~*~*

“Anyway! I slept really well. A bit too well though… Why didn’t Yu Jin cry? Let me check on him. I’m worried…”

Mai went to his bedroom and bent down over the baby bed to check on her precious. But of course he wasn’t there.

“Yu Jin?! Yu Jin?! Baby where are you? – She screamed as if he could answer.

“Maybe he fell from his bed” She thought even if he wasn’t able to stand up yet. She ended up on her knees walking like a dog calling for her baby. But he was still unfound. She ran out of the room crying and trembling.

“Yu Jin! Yu Jin! Baby! Where are you? My precious where are you?”

She looked in all the rooms with an open door. “Maybe he walked down there” : The bathroom, the living room, the kitchen, the parents’ room, the dressing room, everywhere. But after 30min her baby was still nowhere to be found. She fell on her knees and cried.

“Did some crazy fan kidnap him? My treasure, mama’s sorry… I shouldn’t have sleep that much…”

Then her eyes ended on the baby’s necessary bag left in the entrance.

“What’s that? I’m sure I put it in his room yesterday. It’s scary… I’m scared.”

She stayed here for some minutes then decided to call Taemin. He could know what to do because she wasn’t able to think straight right now.

She dialed his number but he didn’t answer. “Not this time Tae please, not this time” she sniffed.  She tried a second time but same. “What to do? What do I do? Mom, what am I going to do… Mom?”

She dialed her mother’s number. She really needed help from someone.

“Hello?”

When Mai heard her mother’s voice she burst out of tears.

“Mai? Are you fine sweetheart?

-Mom… - Her voice was shaking – Yu Jin… Yu Jin… He disappeared…”

Her mother’s heart skipped a beat but she needed to seem calm. Her daughter needed her and she tried to calm Mai down.

“Did you call Taemin?

-He doesn’t answer his phone… I don’t know what to do… What if….

-Can’t he have Yu Jin with him? – Her mother cut her. She didn’t want to hear about trouble.

-He is supposed to be practicing. – She voiced full of panic.

-Listen my cupcake, try to call him one more time, okay? Mommy’s coming!”

Her mother hung up and the phone call ended. She felt so bad and fell on the floor. What if someone was doing bad thing to Yu Jin because it was her son with Taemin and not theirs…

“I need to call Taemin” She scolded herself between two sobs.

She stood up as best as she could and took the phone. She dialed her husband number one time, two times, three times but he was still out of reach. Then she tried a fourth time that succeed.

“Hello? Mai?

-Taemin… Taemin something horrible happened. It’s my fault I slept too much and, and … Yu Jin… disappeared.

-Yu Jin what? What are you saying?  - He asked surprised.

-I know… I looked everywhere, every corner but...

-He is with me! – He cut her.

-He… Wh…What? WHAT? – She screamed.

-He is with me – He repeated slower – I took him with me. You were sleeping and he was waking up. So I gave you some rest – He said all satisfied of his idea.

-YOU WHAT? THE HELL TAEMIN! I WAS DEAD WORRIED! YOU IDIOT! You couldn’t leave a note before leaving!

-Eh? I did! I put it on the door! – He defended himself”

Mai looked at the enter door but no note on it.

“No Lee Taemin. There is no message!

-There’s nothing?”

Taemin was sure he wrote one. He could see him writing and … putting it inside his pocket. He checked it and yes it was still inside his pants…

“YES NOTHING! And you forgot the bag in front of the door!

-Ah oops! I’m sorry darling, Yu Jin is totally fine so worry no more – He tried to calm her down.

-I’m furious! How come you didn’t change! – Mai scolded him not really furious

-This is why you love me –He simled

-YA! You!”

She scolded him again and again and Taemin was apologizing to all.

“Where are you? – She finally asked.

-SM, practice room.

-I’m coming. You’re going to need that bag soon.

-Eh? Why?

-Check Yu Jin you brat – she smiled a bit to this useless father. ”

*~*~*

“It’s your fault! You scared the baby – Said Minho to Onew.

-I what? Because what you did was good for a baby maybe? – He argued back

-Well at least he didn’t cry.

-It’s true that he didn’t even react to you.

-Ya boys! It’s okay, don’t argue. Your tries were just not good enough… - Tried to calm them down Jonghyun.

-Oh true! Your try was so much better! – Cut Key.  – Baby just looked at you like he was watching a strange being.

-What? Let me remind you that Yu Jin literally cried all his tears after your clown acts! Teaminnie had a hard time stopping him! – Retorted Jonghyun.”

Everyone was throwing their failure to each other faces. Taemin with his son in his arms was in the middle and didn’t know how to stop them when Mai entered the room.

At that exact moment Yu Jin played with his voice for the first time.

Was it because he saw his mother? Was it because he was imitating his strange uncles? In any case, Yu Jin was trying his voice and mouth for the first time and everyone went quiet and stopped what they were doing.

All the boys gathered around Yu Jin with a clueless and ignored Mai. She stayed in front of the door looking at this spectacle.

“What is it? What happened? - She asked without getting any answer. - Ya! Am I transparent or what? - But still no one talked to her. – You are all useless I swear… This is MY baby! Go do one yourself!” She walked in between them and grabbed her son.

Everyone looked at her surprised at this sudden anger. While Yu Jin was in her arms he kept trying this new instrument he just found. When Mai heard this, her face changed from putting to smiling.

“Yu Jin ah! Omo Yu Jin ah!”

Taemin grabbed her free hand and brought her in the middle of the room followed by the other members. Taemin made Mai dance in circle because they were both so happy. Forgetting the scared and worried mother-in-law in front of the house door…