5th Month : First Birthday-First steps

9 Months

2 months before Yu Jin’s first year, Taemin and Mai, hesitated in doing a big party or something simpler with the 3 of them. In the end they chose the second option, for D-Day, and one bigger when everyone’s schedule will fit together. SHINee was really busy individually and it was really hard to find a right time.

For this special day, they took a decision that could be unsafe. They wanted their son’s first birthday to be a cute family picnic.

Taemin had always wanted to bring Mai in a picnic park since they start going out. However, his job wasn’t allowing any public activity. They did have some picnics but that were only “home picnic”. Now that they were officially married, it wasn’t a problem to walk outside together. It was risky because of the entire fan SHINee had, but it wasn’t risky for SHINee image.

However Mai still gave sunglasses and a cap to Taemin to protect their intimacy. As it was still chilly in this beginning of spring, they dressed Yu Jin warmly which was easy because this little boy was standing the more and more on his two legs.

-Don’t you think he’ll walk soon? Suggested Mai looking at her husband

-Maybe. He is doing some attempts times to times but he still can’t get it right. But hey look at this…

Taemin let go the little hands from his and for some seconds, baby stood there alone.

-See! That’s my son! Said Taemin proudly

Well that’s was something to be proud of, yes. Mai also saw that her growing boy was stronger on his legs. Yu Jin was no able to stand all by himself by grabbing some furniture or whatever was at his reach. He also was siting from his standing position without falling backyard.

After one month he was having adventures in between the sofa and the TV table, by walking along his support sliding his feet one after the other. Then after another month, he was able to mimic a walk. Mai would film all his “big” adventures for Taemin to see.

Mai was in the kitchen finalizing the preparation of the picnic. She grabbed a basket and filled it with the mat, the food and drinks, plates and chopsticks.

-I’m ready boys! She informed them from the entrance.

-Okay! We’re coming! Taemin answered, look boy, choose a game you want to bring.

Yu Jin looked at his dad while pointing out his car carpet with his baby finger.

-Na, it’s too big buddy.

A bit disappointed he changed direction and showed his plastic garage.

-Na, too big too, boy.

Yu Jin eyes met his father in a way as if the demon of no fun.

-Eh, I’m sorry boy, it’s the rule.

Yu Jin crawled to his toy box and took two little cars from it, and waited for his dad’s approval.

-Yep Jinah, this will do!

Baby smiled at his dad which answered him the same way before grabbing him up.

-Let’s go to mama now, she’s waiting.

He then both reached Mai in the entrance.

-Look mama, said Taemin with Yu Jin showing his toys, we chose two cars to play in the grass!

-Wow, that’s Lee’s granny present for Yu Jin, you like them a lot, right my son, Mai kissed her baby’s cheek.

Taemin opened the door for Mai to go first and closed behind him. “Let’s go!”

*~*~*

Recessed in the park, they found a big tree to sit under. Today was so sunny and a cool shadow couldn’t be ignored. Mai took the food out of the basket under the eyes of both Yu Jin and Taemin.

-Yes there’s meat! Mai finally said.

Since they introduced Yu Jin to meat, he was always looking for some in his meals. As father, as son, right? She opened the food boxes and showed them what she prepared.

-There, jang jorim! But eat kimbap and kong namul too!

What a useless comment ad Taemin only grabbed the box full of beef and a pair of chopsticks.

-One for daddy, one for Yu Jin, aah..., Taemin shared with his son sitting properly right next to him.

Mai sighed and start eating too.

-You shouldn’t give him the habit of eating that much meat, she scolded like a good mother.

-Meat is the best! Let Yu Jin alone with your strange tastes for veggies. My son is just like his father, right Jinah?

The mother shook her head and took his son out of his father’s reach.

-He also is my baby, we shared the same meal for 9 months, and I know he will understand his mother tastes. Right Yu Jin, ah…

She gave him a full spoon of mash carrot from his baby food jar that he ate happily, smiling to Mai.

-See out boy loves carrots a lot! She throws back at her husband.

Taemin pulled a face to his wife and looked his son from behind his glasses and whispered “Traitor”.

Once finished, Mai tidied everything back into the basket, Yu Jin was playing with his car toys and Taemin was writing new lyrics on his phone.

Suddenly, while playing, one of Yu Jin’s cars slid out of the mat, out of his reach. Before both parents realized that the car was away and stood to get it back, Yu Jin slowly but surely got up, found his balanced , set his target and walked until he sit right next his lost car. Taemin and Mai that saw the whole scene weren’t moving anymore, as if someone did pause on a movie, their mouth wide open. 3 second passed until they realized, looked at each other and smile, laughed, screamed a bit at this new discovered skill. At the same time, they both stood up , walked to their son on the grass playing, hugged him and congratulated him.

-Happy birthday little boy! You discovered one more skill! Daddy is so proud of you!

-Happy birthday my son! You are so amazing! Mamma loves you!

It was a really cute scene, but Yu Jin was clueless I the middle of this cuteness. All he wanted was his car.

-Ok, Yu Jin show us again what you are able to do, asked Mai.

She took her son’s hands I hers and helped him stood up again. Taemin squatted one step away andc called Yu Jin. Mai released the little hands and like a beautiful miracle, Yu Jin walked to his father only stopping when his hands touched his father’s knees.

Taemin caught him and span to get up, Yu Jin laughing to this.

This moment was so beautiful, so amazing! What a sublime birthday party!

What will Yu Jin discover next time? Both parents were excited!

 

BONUS : Picnic food 

Jang Jorim

Kimbap

Kong namul

 

PS : Thank you to @EvilTM_ (my real life Mai) for the chapter picture!!