4th Month : First Tooth

9 Months

Between Yu Jin’s 4th to 7th months nothing out of everyday life happened. They had just a nice and cute family life. Yu Jin was getting nicer and even funny to be with. His bright laugh was making every game interesting and transforming the house into a full of happiness bubble. Then during his 7th month, around Christmas, SM (Taemin’s music company) suddenly decided to use little Taemin to film their Christmas greeting MV. At first Mai and Taemin refused. But after several negotiations and SM certifying that that Yu Jin would stay anonymous, they both accepted.

On D-Day, when Mai arrived at the studio with Yu Jin in a baby carrier all against his mother chest, all the staffs looked at her as if she was there by mistake. She felt a little bit alone and small at that moment. Then suddenly all the women, artists, singers or stylists, screamed and ran to them.

“The cute!!” “Are we going to film with?” “What’s her name?” “How old?” were the questions asked to her. Mai felt overwhelmed and clueless.

“Yes he is” “I don’t know” “It’s A BOY!” “7th months.” She was trying to answer everyone until it wasn’t possible anymore. Then they all wanted to caress Yu Jin, so all their hands ended on the top of his head, messing his thick black hair, trying to reach his cheeks, while giggling at his face. They all stopped when Yu Jin started whining. He had enough of all those strangers around him.

“Pffft… Babies aren’t funny. They always cry or scream. – One of them said walking away.

-Excuse me!? Can you repeat? – She asked out loud furious. – You come, shout at him, and touch him everywhere even if he doesn’t know you and you dare to say that he is NO FUN! Are you kidding me!? So do you enjoy being touch without care and scream at by strangers? Ah! Right you are a famous someone, so it is your job. Ok, great! BUT Yu Jin isn’t. He is just a baby and he has nothing else to communicate than his voice, screams and cries. So yes he cried! But it’s your entire fault, you annoyed him. – Mai conclude proud of her mother spirit.”

The woman was speechless while Mai was so satisfied. She turned tail and headed to the MV director.  She greeted him and introduced Yu Jin. The director greeted them back with a huge smile on his face.

“Mothers are amazing. You did great! Yu Jin has a mother he can be proud of.”

Mai blinked at him a bit surprised. “Thank you I guess” She finally answered.

The director showed her how the set will be put together around the place helped by cartoon sketches. He then explained how the scene will be filming.

“So as you see Yu Jin will be sit on this carpet next to the Christmas tree.

-Nice, it will be very cute. Just a small warning. Yu Jin is generally a very easy baby but these days he is grumpy for nothing and brings everything at mouth. He might give all the staffs a hard time. – She apologized.

-It’s okay. Filming with babies is never easy anyway.”

After their discussion some staff member brought the mother and son into their rest room. Inside there were a lot of stuffs especially for Yu Jin.

“Feel yourself at home.” The man said to wish Mai replied by a thank you.

After she had checked all the room to be safe for her little devil, the young mother unattached the baby carrier and freed Yu Jin. She then sat on the sofa in the corner of the room and waited. Yu Jin didn’t sleep well last night and so did Mai obviously. It was hard to stay awake. “You, little monster, why aren’t you sleeping again?” She let out in a whisper. She looked at her son with a smile though. How could you not love this little creature? He was too cute. At that moment, he was imitating a language and was having fun on his own with wood cubes. She stood from the sofa and sat in front of him. She then built castles with the cube Yu Jin was giving to her, to better crash them down seconds later. This game was giving Yu Jin the time of his life. He was laughing and asking for more after each broken one.

This is when Mai realized that Yu Jin’s cheeks were a bit more pink than usual. The little boy looked at his mother surprised that she was touching his cheeks when she was supposed to rebuild the castle. He wanted more castles and he didn’t like her touched there so he frowned and Mai took her hands off rapidly. She didn’t want him to cry, it wasn’t needed right now. “Sorry, sorry Yu Jin ah.”

Something was obviously hurting the boy inside his mouth, she concluded. “Omo! Yu Jin ah! Are you- are you growing teeth?” she exclaimed to no her son. “You’re growing up!”

She suddenly was so excited, even if she couldn’t confirm her theory without making the whole studio a mess.

Mai wondered if SHINee was already on the set. To reinforce Yu Jin and her anonymity, they all agreed to not meet inside the studio and do as if they don’t know them. So that no one would leak picture of her or Yu Jin telling they are Taemin’s family. She still was worried about if they were in or not so she took her phone from inside her bag. Without leaving Yu Jin from sight she wrote a message to her husband.

“Taemin did you arrived already? “

Message to which she got an answer quickly, maybe Taemin was waiting for a sign from her?

“Yes, just now. We passed by your room and heard my son’s laugh. It was so cute and so tempting to come inside. I miss you my loves.”

Mai missed him too, so close yet so far. It was really hard to be honest.

“Miss you too. Love you my man. Yu Jin too loves you. <3”

Suddenly a makeup artist irrupted in the room, making the young mother jump of fear. She hid her phone back in her bag the more discrete possible and grabbed her son. She didn’t trust this woman.

“Hello, I’m here to put some make up on the baby.

-Makeup? You want to put make up on my baby? Why? – She was shocked.  – He has a perfect baby skin, he doesn’t need any makeup!”

The artist was a bit hurt by her reaction. It wasn’t like if it her fault, she got ordered to.

*~*~*

Taemin and s were all excited to film with Yu Jin. Taemin reminded them to be discrete about their link with Mai and the baby for Yu Jin’s sake.

“It’s quite sad that we can’t be with your family – concluded Minho. – I love being with Yu Jin. He is so fun to with now.

-I know right! – Agreed Key. – He even starts to share his toy so that we play with him.

-Yes yes! He even tries to talk with you with his own language – Followed Jinki.

-Maybe we could go and spy them? – Suggested Jonghyun too greedy to wait any longer.

-Oh! That’s a good idea! – Said Taemin.”

After looking at each other, they all agreed and walked out. So here they were out of their room silently heading to Taemin’s wife room. They stopped in front of the door and looked around quietly before slightly opening it. The five of them tried to fit their head inside the small opening, like in a cartoon.

“You won’t put foundation on his fragile skin! What is this idea?!”

Mai was fighting against a woman holding Yu Jin very tight.

“You don’t put foundation on a baby! – Screamed Key standing up from behind.”

Oops, they were discovered.

The makeup artist turned around and faced SHINee. She looked surprised for a second then bowed to them.

“They asked me! This baby cheeks are too pink. She justified herself.

-Even! It’s common sense. How can you agree to put makeup on a baby? – Key scolded her.

-And “this baby” has a name! – Taemin almost yelled.”

At that moment Mai eyes widened and send a message of reminding to her husband.

“Uh… Right? Everyone has a name… So, hum, what is your baby name… Ms. Lee?  - He asked the most weirdly ever.”

The other four almost laughed at how this replica was awkward.

“Yu Jin, his name is Yu Jin. – Mai answered before a tsunami of laugh arrives.”

Key sent the woman away after they all came in. They found the excuse of “getting to know Yu Jin” to stay in longer. Once the woman closed the door behind her, Taemin hugged his two precious gems without even thinking of the consequences. He then gave a forehead kiss to Mai and cheek kiss to his son. He missed them; the fake distance had been very hard for him. At that moment he remembered that he wasn’t alone and looked back at s. They were giving him a “huhu” look making Mai cheeks pinky.

“You guys should be more careful. – She sighed.

-Yes, yes madam. Can we play with Yu Jin now? – said Onew.”

She shook her head giving up. This group was really out of control. Thus she put back her little boy on the carpet. The little boy began to play and bit by bit he got surrounded by all his uncles. Before any war happens, Mai warned them about Yu Jin’s bad mood.

“I think he is growing teeth. – She explained.

-Really? – Taemin got excited like a kid receiving a lollipop. – I want to see that!”

Mai didn’t even have time to say something that Taemin grabbed his son and sat him on his lap. “Let daddy see your teeth Jin ah.” He said while trying to open the boy mouth. But Yu Jin cried loudly.

“He is in pain poor baby and you probably can’t see anything. So just let him be. -advised Key”

Yu Jin was inconsolable and Taemin was out of power. Mai came in rescue, hold her son and rocked him. Once he stopped crying, she gave him back to his dad. The members made fun of powerless Taemin. “You know, boys are all about moms.” He proudly said making all the room burst in laugh.

After a while someone came in to tell SHINee that it was time for them to get ready.

“Yu Jin ah, we are going to see how daddy’s working. You’ll see he is amazing. The best daddy ever.” She whispered in the ear of her son while waving “bye” to the 4 men. 

They dressed up Yu Jin too and let go the idea of foundation. “The director said that they’ll edit it afterwards.” told the women. To what Mai answered “Way better.”

*~*~*

They placed the little boy under a Christmas tree on a red cover. Then they gave him lots of toys and fake Christmas presents wrapped in red and green. After SHINee came all perfectly styled up and with perfect make up. Taemin was so stunning in Mai’s eyes. They all sat around Yu Jin and as the script said and played with him.

Yu Jin was standing up thanks to someone leg, shared his toys, stared at the members building stuffs before giving him back, was speaking, laughing and smiling so naturally. The director was surprised at how baby and SHINee had a good chemistry together.

“This is the first time that I see complicity between a group and a baby works that well that fast. – He exposed to Mai.

-Oh, really? – She replied trying to play the surprise.

-Yes! This is amazing!

-Well they played together some minutes ago for a time so maybe that’s why. – She said praying for the director to trust this story.

-Your son is a treasure. He is so natural even if a lot of people are around him.”

Mai faked a laugh and hoped that the director would leave her alone with that topic.

After 30min of shooting, Yu Jin got tired and was trying to escape the scene, crawling out every minute, screaming of anger and throwing the games away. Because of that they decided to stop shooting and freed everyone.

“Ok! Let’s take a break! – The director screamed in the studio before giving Yu Jin’s back to his mother. – You can go back home now. 

-Do you have enough to build the MV? – She asked politely.

-We have, yes. But…If you are a SHINee fan and want to stay, I allow you to. – He winked. – Only for the next scene, okay? Of course if you have important to do at home. 

-Okay. – She winked back. – But…unfortunately, I also have a LIFE. A WORK. I just took half of my day off. I need to go give Yu Jin to my mother in law, and prepare to go to work. I don’t know what you mean by asking me to stay a whole day, but Mr. Kim, you should know that all women, all mother aren’t mean to stay home.  – She concluded by a quick smile before leaving his side.”

The director was speechless. What was with her?

As if she had time to spare doing nothing? Her maternity leave was over and work called again. She had a really great time and enjoyed working with her husband and SHINee a lot but she wasn’t a housewife. This idea was a pure cliché. She was full time employee as a graphic designer and was very proud of it. What that man implied hurt her.

Taemin, who saw and heard everything, caught them up in the rest room.

“You should calm down sometimes. The director didn’t intend to be rude. – He tried

-This is why it’s worse. I hate close minded men. – She sulked.

-Mai… - He hugged her and patted her back. – You’re my wonder woman. You are so amazing. It’s just that not everyone can see it. What’s important it’s that I know it, right?

-Yes. – She pouted.”

She was extremely cute and Taemin couldn’t resist. He grabbed her chin and stamped a kiss on her lips. A fast and cute kiss that Mai didn’t even have time to answer but enough to make her smile again. She blushed and slapped softly his shoulder.

“You are a playboy Mr. Lee.” She whispered in his ear after hugging him back. To what he answered proudly “I know” tickling her sides.

She laughed and tried to escape but kept failing. They fought cutely for a while in front of Yu Jin; baby boy who seemed to look at his parents as if they went crazy. He wanted attention too! He was forgotten in this scene! So he did a small scream to catch their attention. He looked at his dad and raised both of his arms asking to be hold.

“Awn, my son, come here. You want a mom and dad hug, right?” He then hugged his wife with their so in his arms. Yu Jin was grabbing his father clothes and laying his head on his shoulder. Taemin loved that feeling so much. After this moment of love, he gave Yu Jin to his mother and flew away quickly to not wake any suspicions up.

Yu Jin did a small good bye wave to his father and then looked at his mother who looked back at him too. She caressed his cheeks and smiled at him. Her mother smile was so bright and he loved it so much. So Yu Jin gave her a big smile back. At that moment Mai saw the little white print on his cute gum, a little top of a front tooth. She smile even bigger happy to be the first to saw it before Taemin. She placed her son in hid baby carrier and after she said goodbye to all the staffs and artists, she climbed inside the car SM lent her.  She sat on the back sits and looked at the reddish cheeks of her son and made a promise to give him something cold to calm the pain.