9th Month: Yu Jin's 2nd birthday

9 Months

For Yu Jin’s 2nd birthday, they invited all SHINee crew and their both close family. Taemin was in charge of the meat and the rice, while Mai was taking everything else in charge. While cutting the vegetables Mai had an idea.

“Oh! I’m going to bake the cake with Yu Jin!” she told her husband.

“Uh? Are you sure honey?” Asked Taemin surprised.

“I won’t make him do the hard stuffs just, I think it would be a cute mother-son moment” she said with stars in her eyes.

“Well as you want but don’t scream if it ends in a catastrophe.” Taemin agreed and laughed.

After finishing with the main meal, Taemin took in charge to tidy and clean the house. That way, he won’t be the witness of his beloved wife cracking up over his so similar clumsy boy.

Mai disposed all the things she needed to bake the cake on the table and then went to her baby’s room.

*~*~*

Yu Jin was playing reading. He had one of his favorite books in his hand. When Mai approached she realized that he was reading it with the pictures upside down.

“De lil fox was still trying to make friend wit de lil sheep.”

Yu Jin was really saying the story at the good page. Mai was so proud. Her son was so intelligent.

“Yu Jinnie?”

The little boy closed his book and sat on his bed to look at his mom.

“Do you want to bake your cake with mama?”

“YES!” Yu Jin answered all excited stretching his arms in the air.

*~*~*

Back in the Kitchen Mai tied a mini apron on Yu Jin and then wore hers.

She sat baby Yu Jin on a chair around the table and grabbed a bowl to weight the flour.

“250g of flour” she read the recipe. “Here Yu Jin, in the mixing bowl!”

The young boy grabbed it with his both hand and poured… ¾ of the flour in the mixing bowl. Mai almost scolded him but restrained her when she saw her son's eyes being very sorry.

“Sowwy mama…”

“It’s ok my precious.”she said while getting back the flour from the table.

“Next… 75g of icing sugar”

She weighed the ingredient and this time she help Yu Jin to pour in. “Great!” Both smiled at each other.

“Next?” Mai asked and Yu Jin nodded. “¾ teaspoon of coarse salt”

She grabbed the teaspoon with the small baby hand and placed the salt with the other powder.

“Let’s mix them a bit.”

She moved behind Yu Jin and took his hand again. She places it around a big wooden spoon and begun to turn inside the mixing bowl. She explained him how to do it, “be not too fast but not too slow either, just the right strength so that they mix well”.

*~*~*

Taemin, still reorganizing the house for the birthday meal, was keeping his ears open on what was happening in the kitchen.  He was surprised on how well it was going. With the magic hand baby it was almost a miracle.

“6, 7, 8… Ok, enough chairs!”

The table and the chairs placed ideally, he was now looking for a nice tablecloth.

*~*~*

After weighting the butter and cut it in small pieces Mai begin to mix it with the powder.

“See Yu Jin, you need to use your hand for this. We need to obtain dough as a result. It’s called knead.  But you can’t knead too much or it’ll be not edible. Yu Jin, are you listening?”

The baby wasn’t at all. Mama was boring. All he wanted was to play into the mixing as well! It looked like his Play Doh paste except the color was less funny.  He stood up on his chair and grabbed the mixing bowl.

“Precious, what are you doing?”

His arms were too short so he placed one knee on the table and finally got his hand inside the dough. He smiled happily but his knee ripped on the wet table making him falling backward, grabbing the whole mixing bowl, falling on the chair and smashing the preparation on the floor. All this happened in less than 30 seconds, not giving Mai the time to realize what was happening. But the big smash of the mixing bowl, breaking into so many tiny and big pieces of glass made her let out a scream.

“YU JIN!!!”

She grabbed her son and left the kitchen. There was blood.

“OH MY GOD YU JIN AH! Oh my god precious, are you alright… Taemin! Taemin!!! LEE TAEMIN!!” Mai yelled all scared.

*~*~*

That was it! A catastrophe happened. He knew that would happen but well once Mai has an idea it’s hard to make her change her point… a bit like him in fact. He let the boxes of dishes on the floor of the utility room. He went to the bathroom and grabbed the first aid box. Given on how Mai screamed it will be necessary.

Yu Jin, the magic hand heir, was hurting himself quite a lot these past month and Mai was always freaking out when it would happen.

“LEE TAEMIN!! TAEMIN AH!!” Mai was still screaming from the other side of the house.

He sighed at how much drama she was making and reached them.

“WHAT TOOK YOU THAT MUCH TIME!?” Mai scolded him.

“I was busy doing something else, just the time to let everything go and then to take the first aid box. I did as fast as I could. Where is he hurt?” he tried to calm her down.

“I don’t know I don’t want to look.” she whined a bit.

“Yu Jin ah” Taemin said while squatting in front of him. “Where is your boo boo?”

The little boy got surprise. A boo boo? No he wasn’t hurt anywhere.

“Yu Jin don’t hav’ boo boo.” He told his father.

Surprised at his turn, Taemin checked his son. He was right, no scratches, no bruises, no wound, nothing. Then the blood wasn’t his?

“Mai, It’s not Yu Jin who’s hurt. It’s you!”

The singer pointed Mai’s hand opened slightly all along her palm. “You need to see a doctor! The first aid kit won’t be enough.”

Mai checked her hand. She was opened from one side to the other. A big piece of broken glass might have wounded her when she caught her son. She suddenly felt the pain. Her hand trembled and start sweating a bit.

Seeing his wife in a bad state, Taemin sat her on a chair. “Let’s go to the hospital, okay?”

But Mai refused. It was her son’s 2nd birthday. No way would she spend it at the hospital! She got a grab on herself and asked for the first aid box. “We will band it and it will be ok! It’s not deep.”

Taemin was against but Mai won once again. The only problem was that the kitchen was now a mess, that the cake was wasted and only good for trash and the mixing bowl dead. Mai was now unable to bake the cake or do anything else. Taemin took a deep breath and rolled up his sleeves. He’ll prepare everything for today!

He cleaned up the kitchen while Mai was setting the table and Yu Jin was playing in his room. No more baby in the kitchen! It was too dangerous! He followed her recipe with loyalty and baked the whole cake. Thankfully it was an easy one. Mai had more complicated cake but this one was easy.

He checked the rice, the vegetables, the soup and the meat, taking advice from his wife from time to time. They were really a great team. Well Taemin was a pro at teamwork. He was doing it since his was still in middle school.  Mai and the baby were just new members of his team.

That birthday meal will be glorious and memory worthy! There’ll be so many things to tell Yu Jin when he’ll be a grown up.

*~*~*

Taemin watched his wife dressing up the baby with clean pretty clothes for his birthday. A grown up… he hoped that he wouldn’t grow up too fast. They were so many things he wanted to try with him, so many adventures ahead!

“Yu Jin ah!!!” Taemin said with a wavy voice.

He ran to his loves and hugged them. “I love you my precious little family. I love you so deeply.”

 

THE END

 

Bonus : 

birthday cake 

(recipe: https://www.iletaitunefoislapatisserie.com/2013/11/carres-au-citron.html#.W7InvHv7SM8 it's in french sorry ><)

 

So this is the end of this story. To be honest I'm a bit sad. Even if I know I was really bad at updating it >< 

But I will miss my Mai and my little Yu Jin....

You know I chose the name Yu Jin for its meaning. ^^ 

I hope you enjoyed this story and that you will love it always! 

I'm thinking of doing a version of 9 Months with each SHINee members, what do you al think???

Thank you for all the love and see you on my other stories! 

With lots of love, 

Lexie