Chapter 10

Statue

Hours.

It took hours for Taeyong to finally leave his bed and get ready for another day at university. His mind had been running since last night, going over what happened between Ten and him.

'Let's get even.'

Ten's last words keeps replaying in his mind like a broken disc. He doesn't understand why the words have so much effect on him when the person who said it in the first place is supposed to be someone who Taeyong doesn't care much about. Everything is just too complicated. The only thing he could do right now is to try to get Ten out of his mind because if he keeps thinking about the Thai boy, Taeyong thought he might go crazy.

Taeyong glanced at his phone, displaying the time 8:39 A.M. He snorted. He's clearly late for his first class but Taeyong finds himself not to care too much. It's just one class anyway.

The walk to the university was calm and it gave Taeyong the time to clear his mind. The soft breeze of the wind made him feel at peace and it gave him a break from all his thoughts.

Suddenly, Taeyong's thoughts flew to Ten again. Taeyong thinks that the Thai boy seems to be invading so much of his mind these days. He is not totally sure if that's a good thing or not. But one thing he is sure is that Ten's feelings for him is sincere. He can feel it. He can sense how much Ten wants him. The way his eyes would lighten whenever Ten sees Taeyong.

The thought made Taeyong's heart skip a beat. It frustrates him. He is not supposed to be feeling this way for Ten. He thinks it's...dangerous.

Liking someone is like handing them your heart in a silver platter and giving them the permission to either handle it with care or breaking it into pieces. Taeyong doesn't want to give Ten that authority over him. Falling in love with Ten is like a gamble. Whenever he's with Ten, Taeyong keeps predicting what would happen next. What Ten's next step would be.

With Ten, it is like finding yourself in a maze. It's complicated, confusing and filled with twists and turns but the thrill of finding what's ahead of you is like a surging excitement. When you take the chance and let your heart go, you would never know the result until the end.

But for Jaehyun, it's a safe game. With Jaehyun, it's like the typical romantic type of love. You would know what is happening next. There's no need to guess, no need to expect what the next step would be. In short, there's no need for Taeyong to worry if Jaehyun is going to hurt him in the future because he knows that the other is not capable of playing with someone's  heart. 

In Ten's case, well, that's a different story. 

Before Taeyong can let his mind wander any further, he realizes that he already reached the front gate of the university that he's attending. Students roamed everywhere, paying him little attention as they minded their own businesses. He sighs as his feet slowly made its way to his first morning class. 

Another day of hell, huh? 

Taeyong turned the volume of his music higher when the voices of his peers rang through his ears. Everyone around him is murmuring, whispering to each other as they stole quick glances towards Taeyong which he found very weird. 

Why is everyone suddenly looking at me? 

Taeyong's questions was quickly answered when his eyes landed on the scene in front of him. There, standing on the middle of the hallway was Jaehyun, looking straight to Taeyong, his eyes crinkling with joy. A bouquet of  flowers in his hand, along with a human sized teddy bear sitting cutely beside his standing figure. 

Taeyong's mouth hung open in surprise. What the hell is happening? he thought to himself. Why do Jaehyun have all those things to him? 

The whispers that surrounded him only seemed to get louder as Jaehyun took slow steps towards Taeyong who stood there like a fish, his mouth hanging open as his mind tries to wrap the scene happening in front of him. 

"I'm confused. I thought Taeyong and Ten has a thing going on?" he heard someone say amongst the crowd. 

"Well I guess not. Seems like it's gonna be Jaehyun and Taeyong now. They are so sweet!"

Taeyong gulped. This is not what he was expecting today at all. 

"Taeyong," Jaehyun called to him softly as he handed the bouquet of flowers to Taeyong. "For you." 

Taeyong his lips nervouslas he took it from the other's grasp. "T-thank you Jaehyun... but why are you doing this?" 

Jaehyun smiled, his eyes teasing, as if Taeyong should know why he's doing this for him. "As if you don't know, Taeyong." 

"I don't?" Taeyong squeaked out, confused, earning him a small laugh from Jaehyun. 

"Well, you know how it's the Senior Dance Prom this Saturday?" Jaehyun asked. 

Taeyong nodded. He heard that it's one of the biggest events that his school throws every year for the seniors who are about to graduate. It's a super formal event and there are many entertainments provided during the night.

Jaehyun smiled, his dimple showing. "I was wondering if you want to be my date for that night, Taeyong." 

Taeyong stood there, frozen at the sentence. He does not know what to say, what to answer to the other. The words seemed like they were stuck at his throat, failing him to speak. The first thought that invaded Taeyong's mind was Ten's name. 

He was hoping that it will be him, instead.  

Taeyong shook his head. The realization of his wants, his needs, surprised him. He should not be feeling this way. It is not fair to Jaehyun. If he declines, it will be too cruel to Jaehyun to be rejected in front of everyone that's witnessing his confession. If he agrees however... it just doesn't seem right to him. 

It's also not right if I lead him on any further.

With a final resolve, Taeyong tried to prepare the next words that he's about to say, to properly decline, but when he looked through Jaehyun's expecting eyes, with that beautiful smile displayed only for Taeyong, Taeyong felt that he doesn't have the heart to decline someone so genuine. So with a small smile, Taeyong nodded and replied "Yes, I'd love to go with you Jaehyun." 

With his reply, Jaehyun grinned thriumphantly and flashed the most beautiful smile that Taeyong ever seen him wear and Taeyong thought that maybe, it won't be too bad after all. 

Maybe, this is the right decision. Taeyong tried to convinced himself. Even if my heart says otherwise.

---

That night, Taeyong could not sleep at all. Even though he tried every methods to fall asleep, his eyes would just not budge. He had been staring at his ceiling for a while now, the light of the moon from outside his window the only source of brightness in his room. He glanced at the human sized teddy bear sitting beside his bed and the flashbacks from what happened earlier played in his mind again. 

He closed his eyes. If he tries to even think about the fact that he said Yes, the guilt would just not stop eating him. Though he doesn't understand why he needs to feel guilty anyways. 

It's not like I'm cheating, right? Me and Ten doesn't even have a relationship! Taeyong thought. I don't have any reason to feel guilty!

Still, the feeling that he did something wrong with agreeing to Jaehyun wouldn't leave his system. After all, he did not hear anything from Ten the whole day. Not even a single text or a call. Taeyong didn't even get to see him at all in school today and that makes him worry.

Taeyong sighs as he heard his phone vibrate under his pillow. As he opened it, all the guilt comes crashing back to him. 


From: Jaehyun

 

Hi Taeyong. Just want to say goodnight. 

PS: Can't wait for Saturday. You don't know how happy I am that I get to have the honour of taking you as my date. 

Sleep well. <3 

 

Taeyong gulped as he typed out a reply. 

 

To: Jaehyun

 

Goodnight Jaehyun. Sleep well too, see you tomorrow. 

 

After he hit send, he heard his door bell ringing. Taeyong glanced at the clock confused. It's almost midnight, who else would be coming to see him this late? 

Getting up from his bed, Taeyong took the baseball bat from under his bed just in case it's someone creepy knocking on his door. He approached the door with slow steps, and with uncertainty, he opened the door, only to reveal a drunken Ten, his eyes meeting Taeyong's own immediately. 

 

"Ten?! What are you doing here?! Are you drunk?" Taeyong dropped the baseball bat he's holding and rushed to the Thai boy as he ushered him inside his home. "Why the hell are you out drinking this late, you idiot?" 

"Damn, you smell so good." Ten whispered on his ear, his breath smelling like alcohol which made Taeyong wince as he placed him on his sofa and laid the Thai boy there comfortably as he inspected the other. Taeyong notices that Ten's eyes are already red, unfocused. 

He really is drunk. 

"How did you get here?" Taeyong asked as he tried to sit up to make Ten some coffee but failed when the other took his arm, stopping him from going any where. 

"Stay here with me Taeyong." Ten muttered under his breath as he pulled Taeyong towards him, making him fall beside him as Taeyong let out a shriek of surprise. 

"Ten! You need to sober up, so I'm going to make you some coffee so you can go home and leave me alone." Taeyong tried to make his voice full of authority but due to the other's state, he doubt that it even worked at all. "Let go of me, Ten!"

"I don't want to let you go." Ten spoke as Taeyong felt Ten his hair softly, its effect giving Taeyong goosebumps because damn, why does it feel so right to be in his arms? 

Taeyong gulped as his heart started to beat rather faster under his chest. "Ten, what are you doing?" 

"You agreed to be his for only a night and it took all my will power not to feel insecure because damn Taeyong, what if he succeeds with winning you over?" Ten softly expressed, his voice so torn that it makes Taeyong hurt even more. 

"Ten..."

Ten laughed but it was dry and no trace of any joy in it. "Damn it, Taeyong. We're not even together but it's already so hard for me to share your attention with someone else." 

Taeyong closed his eyes as he tried not to sob because if Ten only knew how much guilt Taeyong is feeling, weighing him down...

"Tell me Taeyong," Ten said, "Tell me that you feel something for me too. I don't think I can take all these doubts in my mind, baby. You make me crazy every damn time." 

"I..." Taeyong his lips nervously as he pounded on what to say next. His heart is beating too fast with just being so close to the other, his scent clouding him. Even with the alcohol mixed in, Ten still smells so good. 

The thought of Ten's situation, with all the insecurities he's currently feeling, Taeyong can't help but to feel regretful for making him go through something like that. So with a light heart, Taeyong answered, 

"I...do feel something for you too, Ten." 

---

 

It had been about half an hour since Ten left. As soon as Taeyong confessed his true feelings towards the other, Ten felt all his wasted energy come back to life, making Taeyong smile at the thought. Taeyong could still remember the surprised eyes of the Thai boy as his mind slowly tried to process the words; 

I do feel something for you too. 

 

Taeyong can't stop smiling.Unlike his emotions throughout the day, he feels so much lighter with finally getting what he wants to say out loud. He doesn't think he'd be able to sleep soon so with a final thought, he took his phone to scroll through Facebook for a while. Checking his news feed first, he saw a recent post from Ten two minutes ago, his post already gaining more than 50 likes in such a short time. 

The post made Taeyong's heart race. 

 

Ten Ezekiel Ty

2:09 A.M 

 

We can fool the world but we can't fool ourselves.

 

Taeyong saw a few comments and with a shaky hand, he scrolled through them, reading carefully. 

 

Nakamoto Yuta: Oi stop with the quotes, doesn't suit you XD

 

Mark Lee: We all know that this is for @Lee Taeyong lmaoooooo 

 

Taeyong's eyes widened at the last comment. Is it really necessary to mention him on the post? Now everyone's going to know... 

Before Taeyong can contemplate any further, his phone vibrated and saw that he received a new message. Upon reading who it's from, his heart started to beat too fast once again. 

 

From: Ten

 

I just got home. Thank you for making me happy today. I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight, my love. 

 

 

Taeyong flushed at the message. 

 

Well . This is bad. I'm falling too hard. 

 

After typing out a reply, Taeyong finally managed to fall asleep, a smile not leaving his face, his phone gripped tightly in his hand.

 

END OF CHAPTER 10

---