Nine- The Test

Infernal Saga (I & II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Nine – The Test

 

Gifted with a body of a god, Sehun stood before them in his human form. Lean muscles flexing as he moved, golden fur attached on the same place where the other Sabre, Minseok, has it, and his eyes, still as bright as the a cloudless cerulean sky. He was taller than both of them, and Baekhyun, awed by what he saw, smiled and bowed before Sehun.

“It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance,” he softly stated. The Sabre’s stoic face turned into a gentle one, mirroring the gesture with a right hand on his left chest.

 

Sehun suggested that they stay under the shade of the trees and travel by night time. The sunlight in the South is much harsh and dangerous for non-Sabre folks. So, they gathered around a plum tree, watching the golden grass sway from side to side as the wind blew. Up there on the hill where they were, Baekhyun was given an ample amount of time to think the next steps of his quest.

“You should probably get a nap, Baekhyun,” It was Jongin who sat beside him. “We’ll have a long night later.”

“I know that, but,” Baekhyun sighed, his wings sagged behind his back, “I feel restless Jongin. I still have a lot of things to gather, and I don’t know how to get them.”

“Well, what are these things then? Maybe I know where to get them. I grew up hunting, maybe I could help?” Baekhyun was thankful that the young Herven was kind and helpful. But would it be right to tell him what he was looking for? Will he really help him like he promised? He doesn’t have much of a choice right now, does he? He should be grateful that he had companions.  Be thankful that he has them by his side.

“Well,” Baekhyun bowed his head, playing with the strap of his pouch, “I have to get five things, in order to make the potion I needed.”

“For your friend’s wings right?” Jongin asked.

Baekhyun bobbed his head, “Yes,” with a deep sigh, he continued, “I have two already, and I have three more to go. Those things, I could steal them if I wanted to but after I encountered that Sabre before, when he said the fur of Sabres isn’t just anything to be given to anyone, I thought otherwise. As desperate as I might be, I wasn’t raised to break traditions nor dishonour them.”

The Herven glanced at the Sabre behind them. Sehun was on the tree branch, picking fruits enough for the three of them. “I might hate that cat, but if you needed him, I will try to be at my best attitude so he could trust us. So he could trust you. But I will not promise that I won’t be a little hostile because,” Jongin cringed, “I’m more into canines than feline.”

Baekhyun laughed, and it sounded like thousands of angels singing. It brought Jongin a tingling sensation in his stomach as he found a way to smile back. “Thank you…” Baekhyun said.

Jongin nodded, still smiling, proud by the fact that he made the Aeri laugh. “So, what are the other two that you are missing?” he asked, eyes casting on the same horizon of golden field.

The Young Aeri bowed his head, embarrassed, “I…I still need a tear of a Herven, and a blood of a Daevric.”

Jongin, stunned, slowly looked at the winged young man and blinked. He didn’t expect that Baekhyun would need something from him. If he had said it earlier, he’d have dried his eyes out to give him all the tears he wanted. But of course, maybe the Aeri was shy to ask that from him. That was such an adorable side of Baekhyun. Jongin found it so pure.

“I’ll give you my tears.” Jongin whispered, shocking the Aeri. Baekhyun’s neck almost snapped from how fast he looked up.

“W-What?” he dumbly asked.

Jongin smiled, “You saved my life, Baekhyun. Let me help you too.”

 

“I got golden plums!” Sehun’s voice interrupted. Both of them turned their heads to see the Sabre handing out the said fruit to them. “It’s a fruit found only in the south, try it.”

Baekhyun blinked and examined the pear shaped fruit. He sniffed on it before taking a bite. As soon as the juice bursts in his mouth, his tongue melted at the taste. He hummed in delight before taking another bite. Sehun grinned at him, “Tastes like?”

“Honey…” Jongin muttered while chewing.

The prince chuckled, “At its finest,” taking a bite himself.

 

∞ ♡ ∞ ♡ ∞

 

When the stars began peeking behind the clouds and the sun rested on the west, Sehun lead their way out of the south. They have no definite calculation on how long their travel might be, but they are aiming to reach the nearest village so they could point out where to begin with their journey from there. 

They passed the golden field and into the next hill. With the moon's mercy, they were able to see where they are heading to. 

"Say, Sehun?" Baekhyun turned to the Sabre who was in his feline form. A soft grunt escaped the werecat, a sign that he was listening. "You said you wanted to bring back the Cepherus that you knew. I was just wondering... h-how would you do that? I mean, where would you start?"

 

It was clearly a frustrating question to him, but Sehun did answer the Aeri after a long pause. "Honestly, I am not sure how will I do that. But I know the Sun is looking down on me and will guide me in this journey." he almost sounded like he was assuring himself. "I am certain that I will find a clue."

Baekhyun smiled, returning his gaze on the path before him. "I envy your determination," he said with a defeated sigh. Baekhyun's wings flapped softly against the current of the wind, maintaining him off the ground by a few feet. "You are unsure where to go and to start, but your heart is strong-willed. Then there's me," the Aeri chuckled bitterly. "I have everything within my reach but I still feel like I couldn't do it."

"Why do you think so?" Sehun chuckled. "Are you afraid?" 

Baekhyun shook his head, "I am not. But sometimes, I have this feeling like, I shouldn't do this because I am not required. Yet deep inside me, I yearn to help that friend of mine." The Aeri tilted his chin and gaze at the twinkling stars, "Because I owe him my life."

 

 

They have traveled to the extent of their strength. By the time the moon was high, they have reached a river at the foot of a mountain range. It wasn't just any river though, and the three of them know that.  That mountain is called Separva. It is the border of the south and the western part of Cepherus. Only few people would dare to enter this place as it was known to be the Lair of Saentina.

"I think we should probably look for another way to pass the river." Jongin suggested once the fact sink in. Baekhyun looked around worriedly, lowering himself on the ground soundlessly and folding his extra feathered limbs behind him. Jongin's idea was tempting, only if it was easy as it was said. 

"Though that was ideal, we couldn't," Sehun said," This river extends from the Siren's Falls to the Dead Sea. Even if we try to go to both ends, we'll both have a not-so-safe crossover either way." Baekhyun took a deep breath. Everyone knows how no one managed to live upon entering the Dead Sea, and the Siren's Falls is the home of those creepy bald mermaids with big eyes. If they wish to cross the river as soon as possible, and wishes to live afterwards, passing through Separva is their best chance. 

Jongin rolled his eyes. "Fine, lead the way, old man." he smirked as Sehun gave him the glare. Apparently, Jongin got a new hobby and that was mocking Sehun's age. To Baekhyun's relief, the Sabre wasn't as aggres

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter