Fourteen – The Past and Present

Infernal Saga (I & II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Fourteen – The Past and Present

 

When Chanyeol realized that they’ve come here for nothing, he turned his heels and left with long strides, forgetting the Aeri and Sabre who had seen the argument the whole time. After the door slammed shut, Sehun gave Chen an apologetic stare, taking a few steps closer to where he’s at.

“Please forgive his rudeness, you know how much Ahn spoiled that kid.” He said to the mage. Chen waved it off, leaving his seat once again so they could talk better.

“I know that, and I have expected that kind of reaction from him.” He said in a cold tone, his jaws clenching as he smirked. “Though, I have to admit, we have something in common.” Chen said, leaving the Sabre prince confused. “He only listens to Ahn,” the mage clarified.

“Ah,” Sehun hummed, “Yes, you’re right,” he sighed.

“You really can’t blame the Phoenix Prince,” Chen voiced out his opinion, “No one wanted him, not even his own parents. They feared him and judged him even before he learned how to speak. Only one person saw the potential in him.”

Sehun was about to say something when they heard the door opened and closed. That’s when they realized the Aeri was still with them the whole time they were talking. And now, he left, probably to follow the Daevric Prince.

 

 

 

Baekhyun didn’t have a hard time looking for Chanyeol. His dark robe gave way to his spot which was by the bridge, his hood up and shoulder hunched. Unlike him who couldn’t hide his wings, Chanyeol could, apparently. For his wings weren’t like others. It’s fire itself, along with the dark and long feathers.

He landed beside him, his wings flapping gently before it folded behind his back. Chanyeol turned his head to the side upon feeling his presence. When he saw him, Baekhyun saw how dark his expression was.

“I…I don’t know what to say but, I’m sorry… I couldn’t help you with this.” Baekhyun whispered.

“This is out of your hands, Aeri. It’s something you wouldn’t understand.” Chanyeol said. “I really wanted to help you get your friend back but I wouldn’t be of use if I don’t have Ahn’s crown.”

Baekhyun stood beside him, watching the gentle river and the beautiful pebbles he could see at the bottom of it. “I’m quite curious of this…Ahn.” He wondered out loud. “Sehun and Chen seemed to know him too.”

“They’re old.” Chanyeol snorts, making Baekhyun giggle. “So you’re saying, you’re old too because you know him as well. Am I right?”

Chanyeol found himself chuckling, “Well, yes, I guess a hundred and few years old. I lost count.”

Baekhyun’s eyes widened, his jaws slackened from what he just heard, “Y-You’re a c-century old?!”

The Daevric dipped his head, “Even if I am, I still feel like a child,” his voice turned serious once again which caught Baekhyun’s attention. “The wound in my heart is still fresh, all the pain, the betrayal, the loneliness…” he whispered through gritted teeth, “They haunted me like ever since I was sealed in that forest.”

Baekhyun listened, not only to his voice, but also to the silent screams that those tears were carrying. The Daevric prince didn’t know he’s already shedding them until Baekhyun reached out to touch his face, wiping them away.

“Those days are over, Chanyeol. You’re free now.” He smiled at him, reassuring him that it was in the past.”

Chanyeol took a deep breath, “But it’s only the beginning. Cepherus knows that I am back and they will either hunt me down or run away from me.”

“Is this…is this because of what they call you?” Baekhyun asked, remembering what Chen called Chanyeol after he left. “Of you, being the Phoenix Prince?” Their eyes met, and for the first time, Baekhyun saw the flicker of pain in those eyes.

“That name made everyone trembled.” Chanyeol scoffed. “I was still in my mother’s womb when they branded me that title. I swear, if my mother could, she could have killed me before I was born.” With his fist curled into a ball, Chanyeol closed his eyes, “They said I’m the omen. The one who will destroy this world. The one who will bring chaos and call forth death to kill Cepherus. They don’t know how that hurts me a lot.”

“But there is one person who looked at you differently.” Baekhyun echoed what Chen said, “Ahn.”

Chanyeol opened his wet eyes, “Yes,”

Baekhyun smiled, “He must be a great person…”

Chanyeol fought a smile, “He is…” As his gaze fell back to the river, he crouched and reached for the cold water. “He’s like this river, you see,” he glanced at the Aeri who was watching him, “Gentle, quiet and nurturing. Yet when provoked, he’s cold, ruthless and unforgiving.” He stood up again, shaking his hands. “He was the one who raised me.” Chanyeol said.

Baek

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter