Twelve – The Phoenix Prince

Infernal Saga (I & II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Twelve – The Phoenix Prince

 

Awakened by approaching footsteps, Sehun slowly opened his eyes and looked for the source of sound. He first saw the Aeri’s bare feet, before lifting his gaze up to Baekhyun’s stern face. Sehun couldn’t read his eyes, nor what he probably feels right now. But he was sure that he’s anything but fine. Jongin was obviously dear to him and now he’s in Daevric’s hands.

“I am going to the Hollowing Woods.” Baekhyun’s flat toned voice pulled the Sabre from trance. Sehun raised his head and eventually stood up in his feline body. He shook of the dirt from his furs, his lips and dipped his head.

“Why would you be going there?”

Baekhyun was tight lipped, the Sabre noticed. Sehun noticed the difference in the Aeri. He felt his weary, the ember of his rage, and it was mysteriously powerful that felt it twice as normal.

The young Aeri spread his wings, letting the feathers feel the caress of the wind and the kiss of the morning breeze. His hair danced along with them together with the bottom of his robe. Slowly, he let his eyes open to see this world—Cepherus. It’s beautiful sapphire sky, the magnificent forests and mountain he had travelled, the streams, rivers, the soaring birds in the sky and other exotic faunas.

So pure on the outside—but rotten on the inside.

“Aeri?” he heard the Sabre called again. The said man turned around, eyes on the ground.

“I have to free him, I need his help.” His voice cracked on the end, “Are you going to come with me?”

 

Sehun gazed into his amethyst orbs, thinking about the offer twice. It’s been so long since he last visited that forest. It holds many unwanted memories that he doesn’t want to remember. Even so, it was part of the past, and a part of his present.

Because there, stood the pillar of this world. There was where his lover resides, giving up the last of his power.

After thinking it over, Sehun found himself nodding to the Aeri. He doesn’t care what Baekhyun’s business was in that place, but he was going to visit Luhan. He knew his Sun was there, just sleeping within the pillar. And even if he wanted to destroy everything just to save him, he knew it wouldn’t be right, and it wasn’t what Luhan would want.

 

So they started their journey to the West. Against the air, his feet run against the ground and the Aeri’s broad wings glided with the current of the wind.

 

∞ ♡ ∞ ♡ ∞

 

 

The silence that Chanyeol got accustomed to was disturbed with distant sounds. Awakened from his slumber, the captured Daevric rose from the ground, his heart pounding against his chest. He waited in the dim light of the tree’s sap, waiting for any signs of life in this forsaken forest. Labored breath and distant footsteps caught his attention, before there was a loud crash coming from the only door to the outside world.

He saw two figures falling from the tree’s vines and plummeting into the water. Yet one of those was familiar—too familiar that he couldn’t even believe if he’s dreaming or not.

 

Soon a head came out of the surface, light hair sticking on his forehead, his robe clinging on the curves of his body. Yet he was still the same man he had been with not so long ago.

Baekhyun, once out of the water, ran and threw himself to Chanyeol, arms wrapping around the Daevric’s neck and face buried on the corner of his shoulders. Chanyeol couldn’t explain why but he felt his chest constrict in the action. It felt so good to have Baekhyun embracing him tight like this. The warmth of someone caring was somehow forgotten, yet with this man, who just wanted to bring back the act of ‘kindness’ Chanyeol showed him, had managed to squeeze a special place in the Daevric’s heart.

So after contemplating for a second, Chanyeol finally wrapped his arms around the Aeri’s waist.

You came back…

Baekhyun cried, he cried because he made it. He cried also because he failed to protect his friend. He cried because even though he had managed to go back to Chanyeol, Jongin had to be taken away and who knows if he’s still alive or if he’s ashes by now.

“Chanyeol, help me, please.” Baekhyun choked. “My friend…Jongin…” he took a deep breath, pulling away from the taller man, “They took him… Your people… they took Jongin.”

 

Before he could even elaborate what happened, Sehun’s voice reminded him that they were not alone.

“Who’s this…?”

They both turned to the Sabre who was now in his human form. His eyes were glaring at the stranger who was chained against the tree. He judged him—from head to toe, for he felt the familiarity the man gives off.

Chanyeol returned the favor. His ruby eyes sharp against the Sabre’s scrutinizing one. He never thought he’d see this cat once again. He had always hated this man—Sehun, ever since he met him as a child. He wondered if he’ll recognize him now.

“Sehun…” Baekhyun’s soft voice interrupted. “He’s the one I’m talking about,” he reminded the Sabre. “His name is Chanyeol.”

 

Chanyeol.

Sehun was stunned on his feet.

Chanyeol.

 

 

There was a commotion in the palace. He could hear it from the royal garden

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter