Ten – The Battlecry of Phoenix

Infernal Saga (I & II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ten – The Battlecry of Phoenix

 

Riding a Sabre cat wasn't even in the list of possibilities in Jongin's life. But here he was, on Sehun's back, cradling the fallen Aeri as they traveled the remaining half of Separva Mountain. If it was any other day, he would have not allowed it. His pride is higher than the moon clouds so, no. But today, for Baekhyun's sake, he'd rather swallow it than lose the man who saved his life. Twice.

"How much longer, Sehun?" Jongin asked between his teeth, the sharp rays of the noon sun burning his skin. He was sitting sideways on Sehun, on his lap was Baekhyun's head as the rest of his body was sprawled out on the cat's back. He put his hands on the Aeri's sweating forehead.

"An hour and a half," the werecat panted, his limbs stretching to their limit, taking the largest leap he could in hopes to reach their new destination.

 

When Baekhyun dropped unconscious on the ground, both of them rushed to the Aeri and checked his condition. When they saw how the bite of Saentina, the snake-woman, seemed to spread faster than normal venom, they quickly made a decision to take him back to Garnlok empire. There, he will be healed properly by warlocks who had the proper knowledge in using the elements of nature.

Their only rival right now is time, or so Jongin hopes. They couldn't bear any interruption or disturbance now that Baekhyun's life is in danger. Though Jongin doesn't believe in the gods, he bowed and prayed for the Aeri's life.

 

 

∞ ♡ ∞ ♡ ∞

 

Opening his eyes in another place than what he had been used to, Chanyeol knew that he was dreaming again. He believed that his soul is traveling, if not, he's having a premonition. But right now he doesn't have a clue which is happening. He was in a dessert, soft, white sand beneath his feet, and winter cold breeze against his skin. The purple cobalt meets the horizon, as thousands of stars dotted the sky. But in this time of the night…

“Where is the moon?” he asked out loud.

As he took a few more steps in the dessert, he looked for an evidence of life which he failed to see. Nothing was there, but skies and earth. Chanyeol turned around, in hopes that maybe he just missed something but behind him was the same scenery.

“Why do you look so upset? Isn’t this what you wanted?” suddenly, an echoing voice says, startling him. Chanyeol whipped his head back, seeing a man a head shorter than him. He was wearing pure white silk dress, the sleeves has slits from his shoulder to his wrist. But just as how he was everytime, he was still wearing that veil to cover his face.

But Chanyeol doesn’t need to see his face to know it was him. 

With two large steps he was already in front of the man, his large arms around the slim body and his chin propped on the other’s shoulders. With his heart drumming fast against his chest, Chanyeol closed his eyes and savoured the feeling of touching Ahn again.

“You’re here…” he whispered, “You’re here, thank the gods…”

Soft hands touched his chest, pushing him away to create an ideal distance between them. Ahn turned his head away, before completely turning his back on him. “What do you see my prince?”

Chanyeol scowled, but he graced the place again with a look, before telling the other he sees nothing.

“Nothing…” Ahn echoed, “There’s nothing but sand and stars. Isn’t it sad, my prince?”

Chanyeol doesn’t even look away, his eyes were locked on the man in silk dress. “I’ll never feel sadness if you’re here with me.”

“Is that what you will do to my home?” Ahn asked, voice trembling even when muffled. “You will burn Cepherus that every living thing will turn to ashes. Ashes so thick and many that it became a whole new layer of earth beneath our feet?! Is this your dream my prince? To destroy this world?!”

Chanyeol grabbed the man’s arm and made him turn to him. With blazing crimson eyes he tried to search for any silhouette of Ahn’s face, but, he failed. “Why do you care so much about Cepherus? Did they even bat an eyelash at every single thing you did for them? When you wake up as your brother sleeps in the west, they never welcome you. Not a single soul was thankful for the light you bring them at the darkest hour. When you guide those fishes for them to catch and eat, do they even know your name to pray for and be thankful for? No! They bow down at your brother’s shrine, offers him the food you blessed them. When it’s the time your brother’s power is at its limit and drought falls upon this world, they pray for rain. You give it to them but they still kneel and pray to your brother. Ahn, they don’t even know you exist!”

A loud, resonating slap followed the prince’s voice. “Enough.”

Chanyeol clenched his jaws. He slowly lifted his chin and once again, challenged the man before him with his piercing gaze. “Tell me that it didn’t hurt you. Tell me that you didn’t wish to be loved by Cepherus as much as it loves your brother. Tell me that you weren’t jealous of the recognition your brother had. Tell that to my face and I’ll promise that I won’t lay a hand on your precious Cepherus.”

Ahn’s hand trembled before it forms into a fist. “You will not burn it Chanyeol. Even in my absence, I’ll do everything in my power, to prevent you from escaping the Hollowing Woods.”

“Why are you doing this, Ahn!”

“Luhan’s life was put in line when your uncle stole his crown!” Ahn growled, “Without the power of the Sun in my brother’s hands, Cepherus’ core will slowly lose its life and my power alone won’t be able to sustain it. The gods and goddesses didn’t choose the two of us if one could handle the power alone.”

Chanyeol swallowed as he bowed his head, “But I…”

“I know you spent a century locked in that forest. My prince, give me a reason to let you have your freedom. Please. Instead of burning this…ungrateful word for me…” Ahn reached out and cupped the Daevric’s face, “Help me save it. Help me take back the Crown of Sun.”

Chanyeol would definitely kill to have Ahn touch him like this—his beautiful hands against his face, his voice so near to him. He was so mad at this world which Ahn loved so much, but was too blind to see him. Chanyeol hated the people and creatures living on it, but was too ignorant to even know him. “If I help you take back the Crown of Sun…” Chanyeol asked, his hand covering Ahn’s, lacing their fingers together, “Would you promise to let me in your life?”

“My prince—“

“I love you so much Ahn,” Chanyeol breathed out. “Please promise me, that you will come back for me. I will take back Luhan’s Crown for this rotten world but please tell me you’ll come back to me right after that.”

“I can’t promise anything—“

Chanyeol pulled the man closer. His arm which wrapped around his slim waist now clutching on the veil he’s wearing. “Promise me!” he growled.

“My prince you are mistaken. Your feelings for me…it’s just dependence. You only knew me! And I was the only one you sa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter