One - Hollowing Woods

Infernal Saga (I & II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One - Hollowing Woods

 

 

The only time when he wished to step inside the throne room was, when he was still a child and he was following his mother around the palace. He saw the Queen on her majestic, icy blue satin and lace dress sat on her throne, talking to her general about the security of their kingdom and whatever it was that royals were supposed to talk about with their subordinates.

But that was when he was dreaming of becoming a soldier for his beloved Kingdom—Aeries.

As a child, he was fed with honey coated words about how good their kingdom was, how righteous they were and how they were striving for peace for Cepherus’ sake. His mother would always tell him how Aeries have the most intelligent people, even more than Garnloks, who were already the keepers of histories and facts. For it was not only from books that Aeries people got their knowledge, but also the wisdom that was passed on from their ancestors.

Light hairs, mostly highlighted with pastel colors, purple eyes and broad, pure white wings—these were the description of Aeries. They were like light itself that shone upon from the distant sky, serving as a guide, a pathway for anyone who were lost and in need of guidance. Thus, they were often referred to as the guardians of the skies.

Some people of other races envied them for being such beautiful creatures. And Aeries were very proud how delicate their splendors were.

 

 

 

As he grew, every dust of gold in his past was slowly blown away with the wind without him noticing. The first time it happened was when Aeries had suffered a great drought after Daevrics had ruined their kingdom, the fifth time in a half century. It was cruel that a twelve years old like him had to witness how the beautiful land of Aeries became a fire bed and a battleground between two winged-creatures of Cepherus.

This had forced people to do crimes against their own kin, their own race. Some started murdering for food, for diamonds. Those who lost their loved ones in the war had started seeking for justice that not even the Queen could give, for even the most powerful magic would never be able to bring back the dead nor bring back the time when they have yet lost the one who crossed over.

Baekhyun should have known that even his small family would not be spared by the stain of this misconduct. Nevertheless, the truth burned more than a hot iron on skin. To find out that the reason his father has been gone for months was because he was among the notorious groups of thieves had torn his heart apart.

He and his mother couldn’t even face the people of Aeries without being harassed by the society.

It wasn’t until he turned 18, that he got the first news of his father after a long time. His excitement didn’t last for long because his father came back home with ripped wings and a hole on his chest. Baekhyun stared at his maimed body, without being able to neither move nor even shed a tear. His mother collapsed from unbearable agony of losing her other half.

The Queen bestowed the fate of the criminals that night; she said that the corpses should be burned as it was written in their law. Baekhyun couldn’t even take his eyes off of the burning embers the same night when the huge bonfire was created, and encircled to it were the bodies of the men found that morning.

Including his father’s.

 

 

 

No, Baekhyun doesn’t want to be angry, he doesn’t want to mark his heart with hatred. Aeries were supposed to be good, to be righteous, to gentle and to be forgiving. That was how he was taught when he was a child.

But is it good to kill? Is it good not to forgive a mortal sin?

Is it good to deprive a person of proper ceremony for them to cross over peacefully?

Young Aeri would not admit it, but that was the first time he had ever doubt the good and the bad.

 

 

 

As if the brutality of burning the bodies was not enough, the High Queen of their kingdom proposed that the first born sons of the criminals who died without paying for their crimes must be the one to fulfill the responsibilities that their parents had forgotten. His mother had thrown a fit in the throne room when the announcement was done and Baekhyun’s name was called the last.

“My son isn’t going to pay for the crimes he did not do! Please, Your Majesty! Spare my son, he’s innocent! He’s so young!” she cried for him.

All voices and cries were left unheard.

Baekhyun managed to get into the throne room as he dreamed off—but as someone whose wings must be sealed for seven days and be thrown in the Western Woods, also known as the Hollowing Woods.

 

 

 

The magic seal tattooed on his back would last for seven days and it would prevent him from using his wings and escape the Hollowing Woods. He was bound to face the evil and demons of his heart; for the Hollowing Woods was the place where the darkest part of your heart would eat you alive. It was the place where felons were taken to pay for their sins. In seven days they have to repent, and if their hearts were weak, they wouldn’t make it out alive the forest.

But if someone managed to be alive by the dawn of the eight day, the magic seal would be broken and he would be pardon of his crimes.

But no one was able to make it out the Hollowing Woods for hundreds of years. That was why Baekhyun was certain that tonight would be his last night to see his mother.

 

 

 

“Son,” Baekhyun’s mother pulled him in a tight embrace, her warm tears staining the lilac robe he was wearing. Young Aeri nuzzled his face on his mother’s silky hair, possibly brushing his tears dry to hide it from his mother. “I love you mother… be strong okay?”

Baekhyun fought the urge to lash out at the soldier who roughly pulled his mother away from him. Don’t hurt her! He wanted to scream, but his eyes could only hold his mother’s beautiful amethyst orbs, glistening with crystalline beads of tears. She screamed for them to spare him, her innocent baby boy. His lips twitched in a sad smile as one of the soldiers pushed him to the entrance of the Hollowing Woods.

“Take fifty steps forward without looking back!”

The judgement has begun. He knew that the others were taken to the other entrance so that they wouldn’t be able to see each other. It would be considered luck if they ever found someone inside. Taking a deep breath Baekhyun tentatively raised his bare foot, since Aeries folks except the royalty and the soldiers normally didn’t wear protections for their

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter