Five – The Lost Herven

Infernal Saga (I & II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Five – The Lost Herven

 

 

Spending the night in one of the largest in in Garnlok had cost Baekhyun five coins of silver. It was expensive, but he had been sleeping on the ground for almost a week now and for once, he would like to grant himself a satisfaction of being able to sleep on a warm bed. He stretched his limbs upon noticing the rays of the morning sun peeking inside the stained glass window of his rented room. His body was so tired and still wanted to stay for a couple of minutes and slack off, however, his mind refuses and screams at him to get up and start looking for the things he needed.

Yes, it might look like he has at least two of it. He could pluck a feather from his wings, and ask for a strand of hair from Yixing which he knew his former professor wouldn’t mind. But how would he even get the rest of five? Daevric’s blood, maybe Chanyeol could give him some, but Sabre’s fur?

Hell, no one has seen Sabres since they chose to close their doors from Cepherus. And traveling to Herven Empire from here might take him four days before he got there.

With a long, deep sigh, Baekhyun sat up as he wrapped the comforter around his small frame. He knew that Chanyeol wouldn’t be pleased by this that’s why he internally decided to visit the other when he passed the Hollowing Woods.

 

 

Before deciding to leave the Garnlok Empire, the young Aeri went back to Yixing to give him his gratitude. If it wasn’t for him, he wouldn’t have met Chen and he wouldn’t have his first stone towards freeing Chanyeol. Yixing met him in the academy’s courtyard as he told him his plans and how he’s going to be gone for days, or probably, weeks. But the young Aeri promised that he’d visit as soon as he’s finished.

“But…can I still ask you one more favour, Yixing?” he asked before the thought leaves his mind. The said man chuckled at him, ruffling his pastel coloured hair.

“Ask away, young Aeri.” Yixing smiled, a little bit amused on why the younger would worry about asking him a favour, when to him, Baekhyun was not a stranger at all.

“U-Uhm… I- I have some important things to gather in order to do my… my research,” Baekhyun used the latter term as a mask for his true quest. “I am just wondering if you have something that might help me carry those things while I’m in travel. A-And I’ll need some strand of your hair too. If that’s fine with you…”

Yixing blinked at him once, before chuckling upon realizing what the younger was asking. “Of course, you silly boy! Come on, and I also have something to give you so, follow me.”

 

They walked towards the sorcerer’s hut, that one place Baekhyun used to spend his time with whenever he’s waiting for his mother to pick him up from the academy when he’s just a kid. The house was simple, made from wood and stone. Wooden furnitures surrounded the hearth, while the kitchen was mostly pillared with stone and bricks.

He was waiting for Yixing to come out of the room where he entered right after they got inside. Baekhyun’s eyes wandered at the tall single bookshelf against one of the walls of the sorcerer’s house. He remembered reading them all before. But he was curious to open those whom he deemed were new to Yixing’s collection.

Then his attention drifted to the high table in the far corner of the house, paralleled to the dining. It has unfinished potions and opened scrolls on it, some apparatuses that is used in mixing and making potions. He smiled upon remembering how he played with them once, almost blowing up Yixing’s house together with his face. Since then, Baekhyun lost interest in making potions.

But of course what he’s going to make is an exception. He doesn’t need those apparatuses right? The paper said he just had to add the water from the heart of Hollowing Woods.

 

 

“Here,” Yixing’s voice took him back to reality. Baekhyun whipped his head and saw the small leather pouch and a much bigger sack bag on Yixing’s hands. “The pouch has uh… three bottles inside and some slot for some solid things that you might need. One of the bottles has some part of my hair already.” Yixing showcased the uneven part on his sideburns, grinning. “The sack bag, on the other hand can hold some food you might want to buy before setting off.”

As he hand the things to the Aeri, Baekhyun couldn’t stop himself from thanking the elder. However, Yixing still had something to give. The sorcerer went to the high table, rounding the object until he pulled the drawer under it. Baekhyun, whose sight was obscured by where stood didn’t see what the sorcerer took from there. It was until Yixing was before him again, face stern and serious this time.

“I want you to take this dagger too…”

 

A soft yet sharp intake of breath was what the Aeri could do upon seeing the intricate design of the weapon on Yixing’s hands. The handle and hilt was embedded with sapphire, amethyst and crystal beads that formed into soft curls. The blade, on the other hand, is thin yet frighteningly sharp. It came with a small scabbard and a white belt so he could fasten it around his hips, underneath his outer robe.

“This dagger is so beautiful…”

Yixing smiled, “Isn’t it?”

Baekhyun nodded, but looked up at the elder with confused gaze. “B-But why would you give me such thing, Yixing? An iron dagger is perfectly fine—“

Yixing held up a hand with a shake of his head. “No more buts, young Aeri. This dagger is special and I have hidden it for quite a long time already. But the dagger’s power cannot be unleashed if it is used by a Garnlok folk like me…”

Baekhyun put the dagger in the scabbard, which now he noticed was made from ivory and was intricately carved with a pair of feathered wing on both sides. Yixing chuckled upon seeing how the Aeri’s eyes doubled upon looking at it. “The dagger is meant to be in an Aeri’s hands.”

With this, Baekhyun’s curiosity was intensified, drawing out a question from his uncontrollable tongue, “Then why do you have it?”

Yixing had already answered him before he could take back the accusing question. However, there’s no malice in his answer when he said, “I was tasked to guard it, until I find someone worthy to have it.”

“A-And you think I am?” Baekhyun asked quizzically, brows furrowing more than how it was before. Yixing just chuckled and ruffled his former student’s hair. “Yes, now go, young lad. The sun is rising. You wouldn’t want to prolong your research right?”

Upon realizing that he doesn’t have time to waste, Baekhyun took the things Yixing had given him, the dagger now fastened on his hips and the sack bag with the leather pouch inside was now slung across his torso. Baekhyun bid goodbye to the elder as his white wings sprouted from his back, taking him up to the heavens.

Yixing watched the Aeri fly, his eyes twinkling in pride for his former student.

 

 

∞ ♡ ∞ ♡ ∞

 

Baekhyun soared

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter